or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 3G iPhone to launch mid-year with Infineon chip - report

3G iPhone to launch mid-year with Infineon chip - report - Page 2

post #41 of 99
This is good news.

But I think a lot of early buyers like me will probably want to wait a few months for the $200 price drop, before plonking down the cash!
post #42 of 99
And, AAPL up over $7 today. Wasn't it just yesterday that some genius analyst was proclaiming that Macs will drive its future stock price growth?!
post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Let's hope they fix the 'no voice dialing' thing too... out here in California, by law you won't be able to drive with a cellphone pressed to your head anymore, as of July.

I've never seen anyone dial an iPhone with the handset pressed to their head. You must have very dexterous earlobes.
{ formerly known as geekdreams }
{ formerly known as geekdreams }
post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think so. 3G seems to the magic word. There are smething like 400k iPhones in China and they are mostly 3G, right?

China still hasn't even allocated licenses for 3G networks!! They probably won't bother rolling 3G out at all, since they are beginning trials of LTE (4G) with Verizon and Vodafone next year.

They do have 400,000 iPhones on China Mobile, but of course it's a GSM/EDGE network.
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

China still hasn't even allocated licenses for 3G networks!! They probably won't bother rolling 3G out at all, since they are beginning trials of LTE (4G) with Verizon and Vodafone next year.

They do have 400,000 iPhones on China Mobile, but of course it's a GSM/EDGE network.

Thanks for the info.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #46 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I just hope they do something about the sound quality and reception. Mine cuts out on my far too often.

The short answer is that your call quality will depend on your network. In Europe, it should be OK since GSM has been mostly relegated to second-tier (fallback) service. AT&T's US network is a pile of rubbish, though, and you can expect that your 3G iPhone won't have many opportunities to use its 3G radio.

In addition, this is just a product revision. Apple is, without question, working as we speak on a next-generation iPhone platform that will most likely feature a single chip (SoC) and be portable to a small family of iPhone devices. I expect there will be a reduced function, reduced form-factor iPhone that does email but no web.
Cat: the other white meat
post #47 of 99
The Infineon S-GOLD3H (I guess this is what will be in it) can do 7.2Mbit HSDPA. Hopefully Apple doesn't cripple it to just 3.6Mbit because AT&T hasn't switched on 7.2 or 14.4Mbit HSDPA.

We're getting sustained downloads here (in Australia) of 5Mbit+ with 7.2Mbit data cards using bittorrent.
(Comes in handy when work blocks torrents ;-) )
post #48 of 99
Quote:

The Infineon S-GOLD3H (I guess this is what will be in it) can do 7.2Mbit HSDPA. Hopefully Apple doesn't cripple it to just 3.6Mbit because AT&T hasn't switched on 7.2 or 14.4Mbit HSDPA.

We're getting sustained downloads here (in Australia) of 5Mbit+ with 7.2Mbit data cards using bittorrent.
(Comes in handy when work blocks torrents ;-) )

Can we get a 3G chip in the iPhone first, and THEN berate Apple for not using the fastest, biggest and most power hungry one available?
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, AAPL up over $7 today. Wasn't it just yesterday that some genius analyst was proclaiming that Macs will drive its future stock price growth?!

Yes. I think he said that iPhone and iPod sales had no catalyst for continued growth.
I guess he had not heard about the coming SDK, the 3G iPhone and feature changes to support business use. Glad he is not managing any of my money.
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreslucero View Post

You must have very dexterous earlobes.

Not particularly. But my tongue is quite prehensile, or so I'm told.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #51 of 99
Quote:

Can we get a 3G chip in the iPhone first, and THEN berate Apple for not using the fastest, biggest and most power hungry one available?

In the states, there are FCC-enforced bandwidth limits in the W-CDMA spectrum. By "bandwidth," I also mean bandwidth, and not data-rate. I'm not sure what exactly the limit is, but the 14.4Mbps option, I would say, is likely out of the question.
post #52 of 99
How credible is the mid-year prediction? I finally decided this week on the iPhone, after a friend demonstrated his. Now what?
Previous predictions were for 3G in maybe Nov 2008. I don't want to wait that long. But June 30? Maybe I could stretch...
It seems that the mid-2008 prediction is being taken as reliable.
post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's good if it's true. 3G support, even if I don't use it much, is the second to last remaining reason I'm waiting, the last being my carrier contract. Now I have to figure out how to find someone in my area with an iPhone to see if the reception is good.

I've let our contract run out in January. We're charged the same, but no fee when we leave in June (I hope it's June).
post #54 of 99
Quote:

The newer 3G chipsets have gotten more power-efficient, though. Look at the Samsung Blackjack series (it's a 3G smartphone)... talk time increased from 3 hours on the Blackjack I to 7 hours on the Blackjack II. Some of that was due to a 40% higher capacity battery, but still, with talk time more than doubling, power management/consumption got quite a bit better as well.

I'd expect a 3G iPhone's talk time to take a hit, but not a big one... I don't think Steve-o would allow it. And I wouldn't cry at all if the iPhone got a millimeter or two thicker to accomodate a higher-cap battery. If someone cries that a phone being .50" thick instead of .46" thick ruins their user experience, I will point and laugh at them, because that is just dumber than a sack of hammers.

My main concern is, do they also address the other major missing features, such as MMS and voice-dialing? That would be very cool.

I'm not too worried about battery life, they are also improving as well, though slowly. A slightly thicker phone wouldn't be such a big deal. Apple does have thicker iPods with the bigger HDD's. They could have then 3G version slightly bigger as well, if required.

As far as MMS goes, why not a third party solution? I believe there is already a voice dialing solution out there.
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Awesome if true! If Apple can get a 3G iPhone out by June (which has been my educated guess for some time), it should help Apple's calendar Q2 results and stock price significantly.

Would 3G also help Google recover its 38% price drop?

Quote:
The newer 3G chipsets have gotten more power-efficient, though. Look at the Samsung Blackjack series (it's a 3G smartphone)... talk time increased from 3 hours on the Blackjack I to 7 hours on the Blackjack II. Some of that was due to a 40% higher capacity battery, but still, with talk time more than doubling, power management/consumption got quite a bit better as well.

Seth Weintraub from ComputerWorld doesn't seem to find increased battery life in the Blackjack 2.

"Im more than willing to pay for the extra speed. But what good is speed when your phones battery is dead? With my Nokia N95, I can browse the Web over a 3G network for about an hour before the battery is deadeven less if I tether it as a modem to my laptop. The same is true for my Samsung Blackjack 2 Windows Mobile device."

Quote:
My main concern is, do they also address the other major missing features, such as MMS and voice-dialing? That would be very cool.

3rd party could easily add these features.

Quote:
Short-term, yes, 3G means 'BEEG' sales boom. Like huge.

3G will help reenergize sales but will be nothing like the initial iPhone sales.
post #56 of 99
Quote:
Apple does have thicker iPods with the bigger HDD's.

Apple is pushing towards thinner iPods. As storage of the Touch increases it will eventually over take the Classic.
post #57 of 99
Finally get this thing working in Japan.
post #58 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple is pushing towards thinner iPods. As storage of the Touch increases it will eventually over take the Classic.

The point is that Apple isn't adverse to making a device a bit thicker if it warrants it. The 160GB iPod is bigger both because of the larger HDD, and the bigger battery. You might have noticed that it has significantly longer playback times.

It will be a very long time before Apple supplants a large HDD device with Flash storage close to the same size.
post #59 of 99
Quote:
It will be a very long time before Apple supplants a large HDD device with Flash storage close to the same size.

It doesn't have to be the same size. The nano far out sells the Classic. The Touch by this point or very soon will outsell the Classic. Once the Touch can broach 100GB I don't think it far fetched Apple may drop the Classic sooner than later.
post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

this should be great for sales - all of the first gen owners will buy the new phone...

And just why would they do that? I just can't see all the first gen users dropping a perfectly good phone for another. Sure some will but that is far from ALL!
Quote:
Hopefully Apple will add the ability to search contacts textually for making phone calls and exchange support (other than imap)... that will make the device a compelling option for business.

The device is already compelling for business. Exchange support is just an issue for certain corporate segments, it is not a universal problem with respect to business. In any event if the leaks are true there will be plenty of enhancements for iPhone.

Dave
post #61 of 99
Quote:

Would 3G also help Google recover its 38% price drop?

That makes no sense. Oh wait... you were trying to be funny. My condolences.

Quote:
Seth Weintraub from ComputerWorld doesn't seem to find increased battery life in the Blackjack 2.

"I’m more than willing to pay for the extra speed. But what good is speed when your phone’s battery is dead? With my Nokia N95, I can browse the Web over a 3G network for about an hour before the battery is dead—even less if I tether it as a modem to my laptop. The same is true for my Samsung Blackjack 2 Windows Mobile device."

Golly... Seth's experience sure doesn't seem to be everyone's, considering that Anandtech saw nearly 3 hours web browsing from a BlackJack I, which has a smaller battery and an older, less-efficient chipset than the 'Jack II:

"The web browsing test gives us our first indications of the increase in power draw of 3G over EDGE.

Web pages loaded a lot faster, but the Blackjack's battery was drained at a faster rate as well. With 3G enabled, the Blackjack (I) lasted 2.75 hours and with it disabled, over 3.5 hours. "

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/sho...spx?i=3036&p=3

Oh, and this is from the same Anandtech article that you've quoted from in the past, btw. So I assume it's acceptable to you.

Quote:
3rd party could easily add these features.

Or Apple could simply pull its head out and do something it should've done months ago. Even cheap phones have MMS and voice-dialing these days. Tsk.

Quote:
3G will help reenergize sales but will be nothing like the initial iPhone sales.

Well, that isn't what me and solip were debating. He says 3G will double sales, I said it won't, but that it'll help quite a lot (especially in Europe) and that the initial sales boom will be quite large. Either way, I think Apple will take it and be quite happy.

post #62 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

And just why would they do that? I just can't see all the first gen users dropping a perfectly good phone for another. Sure some will but that is far from ALL!

In Europe, it should be a significant number. Because over there, the current 2.5G iPhone usually isn't seeing a slow EDGE network like it is in the US, but rather, a super-slow GPRS network.

Like 30 to 40 kilobits per second. Wheeee.

Given that, plenty of Euros should be wanting to move up to the 3G model... stat! Can ya blame 'em?

post #63 of 99
Quote:
That makes no sense. Oh wait... you were trying to be funny. My condolences.

It makes about the same amount of sense as saying 3G alone will recover Apples lost prices. On a device that currently only accounts for about 3% of Apples revenue.

Quote:
Golly... Seth's experience sure doesn't seem to be everyone's, considering that Anandtech saw nearly 3 hours web browsing from a BlackJack I, which has a smaller battery and an older, less-efficient chipset than the 'Jack II:

So far no one seems to care enough about the BJ 2 to do a thorough review of its battery life claims. I'm just pointing out that he doesn't seem to have a large increase in 3G time on the BJ 2.

Quote:
Well, that isn't what me and solip were debating. He says 3G will double sales, I said it won't, but that it'll help quite a lot (especially in Europe) and that the initial sales boom will be quite large.

O2 reports that the iPhone is its best selling phone. O2 subscriptions and sales are at record highs. The iPhone brings O2 30% more revenue per customer than the average phone.

Even though 3G is widely available in Europe. The number of actual 3G subscribers is comparatively small. I've been asking some of my Euro friends here in NYC if they demand to have 3G, most of them did not seem to care, some didn't even know what I was talking about.
post #64 of 99
Quote:

We shall see. Even though 3G is widely available in Europe. The number of actual 3G subscribers is comparatively small. I've been asking some of my Euro friends here in NYC if they demand to have 3G, most of them did not seem to care, some didn't even know what I was talking about.

I've asked my friend's and the ones with iPhones have all said they will get a 3G version ASAP. There are people I know with other smartphones and regular phones that also plan to get iPhones once 3G is available.

Humorously, the ones that seem most adamant about a 3G iPhone are the ones that made the iPhone their first experience with a smartphone. It seems the Safari browser implementation is a major seller.

Plus, as I stated, the biggest complaint seems to be the lack of 3G. But who knows, perhaps those people will be calling for a 64GB 4G version before they trade in their circa 1996 StarTAC phone.
post #65 of 99
Quote:
I've asked my friend's and the ones with iPhones have all said they will get a 3G version ASAP. There are people I know with other smartphones and regular phones that also plan to get iPhones once 3G is available.

I think the Euro's get painted with a wide brush of being overly techno savvy. I just haven't seen that of the ones I know. Some of them are tech savvy and demand 3G, most are busy living life and don't pay much attention to the technology inside their phone, and some don't know anything and don't particularly care.
post #66 of 99
Quote:

It doesn't have to be the same size. The nano far out sells the Classic. The Touch by this point or very soon will outsell the Classic. Once the Touch can broach 100GB I don't think it far fetched Apple may drop the Classic sooner than later.

That's not the point. You were referring to flash as replacing it. It isn't going to happen for few years. There will always be people who prefer more storage.

Look at how many people here who have complained about the small amount of storage the flash models have. Same thing for the iPhone.

Apple understands this as well. Otherwise, they wouldn't be increasing the storage as time goes on.

Buy the time the iTouch reaches 100 GB, several years from now, the Classic, if it does still exist, will have reached over 300 GB. But, 100 GB is close to what most people would ever need. However, if enough people still buy a Classic, or whatever form the top storage model becomes at that time, then Apple will continue to offer it.
post #67 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not the point. You were referring to flash as replacing it. It isn't going to happen for few years. There will always be people who prefer more storage.

Look at how many people here who have complained about the small amount of storage the flash models have. Same thing for the iPhone.

Apple understands this as well. Otherwise, they wouldn't be increasing the storage as time goes on.

Buy the time the iTouch reaches 100 GB, several years from now, the Classic, if it does still exist, will have reached over 300 GB. But, 100 GB is close to what most people would ever need. However, if enough people still buy a Classic, or whatever form the top storage model becomes at that time, then Apple will continue to offer it.

I concur. If all costs involved are less than the projected net profit it will continue to be sold.

We've seen many companies sell devices for many years after they were considered "obsolete" by the majority in order to make a buck.
post #68 of 99
Quote:

It makes about the same amount of sense as saying 3G alone will recover Apples lost prices. On a device that currently only accounts for about 3% of Apples revenue.

I don't think anyone in the investor community seriously doubts that if the iPhone upside/growth story was looking better at this point, Apple's stock would go up quite a bit. Heck, AAPL saw a bump just a couple of days ago, in part from Apple CFO Tim Cook saying that Apple wasn't married to the single carrier model... and that flexibility is seen as being a positive for the iPhone's growth. Not too hard to connect the dots from there.

Quote:
So far no one seems to care enough about the BJ 2 to do a thorough review of its battery life claims. I'm just pointing out that he doesn't seem to have a large increase in 3G time on the BJ 2.

And I'm just pointing out that Anandtech found his web browsing battery life claims to be off by a factor of three or so, which is huge. My guess... Seth was in a 3G fringe area or had significant building interference. Both can fubar results regarding batt life. He also may have had a defective batt or phone.

Quote:
O2 reports that the iPhone is its best selling phone. O2 subscriptions and sales are at record highs. The iPhone brings O2 30% more revenue per customer than the average phone.

O2 missed its iPhone sales goals (just a fact), and is spinning madly. Nothing new there... I predicted it months ago, in fact.

Quote:
Even though 3G is widely available in Europe. The number of actual 3G subscribers is comparatively small. I've been asking some of my Euro friends here in NYC if they demand to have 3G, most of them did not seem to care, some didn't even know what I was talking about.

Yeah... we've had this discussion several times before. As you've been told and should understand by now, the iPhone increases data usage and hence demand for 3G, by virtue of its better user experience (Safari vs minibrowser, real HTML vs baby HTML).

Even your man Seth Weintraub, the guy with the battery life problems, understands this:

"Survey after survey shows that iPhone users are surfing much more than users of any other device."

And that's on EDGE. Imagine what it'll be like on 3G.

Your man Weintraub also seems to understand that 3G will be a definite help to iPhone sales, and that the Euros, especially, have been unhappy with the current situation:

"While AT&T has been upgrading most of its larger markets to 3G access, it's a different story in Europe, where 3G is almost ubiquitous; the outrage over EDGE has been much stronger there.

Even so, a lot of first-generation iPhone users will want to jump on the 3G bandwagon, becoming repeat buyers and no doubt spurring sales beyond what they would have been over the same period had Apple started with a 3G iPhone."

Hmm... interesting points, especially since they contrast with your own positions. Sorry Teno, but it is kinda funny when a spinner can't even quote sources that agree with his spin.

My one bone to pick with him (aside from his odd batt life problems) is his last sentence. If he's talking about the US, he's right, but it seems pretty obvious that, in Europe, Apple should've started with a 3G model. As even Seth himself admits, the outrage over no 3G has indeed been much stronger over there.

But he does say elsewhere that Apple will need to launch with a 3G model in Asia though, so I'll give him some consolation prize props there.

post #69 of 99
Quote:
I don't think anyone in the investor community seriously doubts that if the iPhone upside/growth story was looking better at this point, Apple's stock would go up quite a bit.

Of course more sales of any Apple product helps support that stability of APPL. I'm just saying no one little part of any product will suddenly boost the whole stock. All parts of the whole need to work together.

Quote:
Heck, AAPL saw a bump just a couple of days ago, in part from Apple CFO Tim Cook saying that Apple wasn't married to the single carrier model... and that flexibility is seen as being a positive for the iPhone's growth. Not too hard to connect the dots from there.

His talk was to boost investor confidence that Apple is headed in a good direction. The stock received a bump with no official confirmation of a 3G iPhone.

Quote:
O2 missed its iPhone sales goals (just a fact), and is spinning madly. Nothing new there... I predicted it months ago, in fact.

The way you throw around the term spin, I doubt you have a firm grasp on what the term actually means. I'm not sure why you keep pressing the issue as though business runs on sales projections and not actual sales.

O2 missing its sales goal is a fact. But is only a simple surface analysis of the situation. O2 reports that its had one of its best quarters with big subscriber growth and revenue growth. This is fact and not spin. No one any longer gives a flip about sales goals. Because the whole point is actual sales.

Quote:
Your man Weintraub also seems to understand that 3G will be a definite help to iPhone sales, and that the Euros, especially, have been unhappy with the current situation:
Hmm... interesting points, especially since they contrast with your own positions. Sorry Teno, but it is kinda funny when a spinner can't even quote sources that agree with his spin.

The title of the article is:"Pushing iPhone to the EDGE a smart move by Apple"

The whole point of his article is that he agrees Apple was right to choose battery life over data speed. You left those points out which are the far majority of the article. You attempt to portray the article as saying something that it does not. That is the definition of spin.
post #70 of 99
Quote:

My point is that the Touch will replace the Classic. Touch storage does not have to equal Classic storage for that to happen.

Quote:
Buy the time the iTouch reaches 100 GB, several years from now,

Apple went from 8GB to 16GB in six months. Then to 32GB in another six months. Barring an unforeseen problems in flash development 120GB will be within reach sooner than later.

Quote:
I concur. If all costs involved are less than the projected net profit it will continue to be sold. We've seen many companies sell devices for many years after they were considered "obsolete" by the majority in order to make a buck.

Yes but look at Apples pattern. Apple killed the mini when it was selling extremely well and replaced it with the lower capacity iPod nano. The mini could have increased in storage but the nano was thinner. The nano only continues to grow smaller.

I think Apple is ready to kill the Classic. Storage is the only reason it still exists. Once the Touch hits the right point the Classic is done.
post #71 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

In the states, there are FCC-enforced bandwidth limits in the W-CDMA spectrum. By "bandwidth," I also mean bandwidth, and not data-rate. I'm not sure what exactly the limit is, but the 14.4Mbps option, I would say, is likely out of the question.

AT&T's 850MHz HSPA network is capable of 14.4Mbit via software update to the base stations. THe reason they don't activate it today is they need to upgrade the backhaul to the transmitters too.

14.4Mbit HSPA uses the same 5MHz channel that it currently uses for 3.6Mbit, just a more efficient coding.
post #72 of 99
Quote:

AT&T's 850MHz HSPA network is capable of 14.4Mbit via software update to the base stations. THe reason they don't activate it today is they need to upgrade the backhaul to the transmitters too.

14.4Mbit HSPA uses the same 5MHz channel that it currently uses for 3.6Mbit, just a more efficient coding.

Is it really more efficient coding or just simply denser coding? Aren't there range and signal strength considerations as well? Denser coding washes out more quickly, reducing its effective range.
post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is it really more efficient coding or just simply denser coding? Aren't there range and signal strength considerations as well? Denser coding washes out more quickly, reducing its effective range.

Almost certainly it's just an increase in the density of the QAM constellation, which indeed is more prone to interference.
post #74 of 99
Quote:

Let's hope they fix the 'no voice dialing' thing too... out here in California, by law you won't be able to drive with a cellphone pressed to your head anymore, as of July.

you can't dial with the phone up to your ear. the touchscreen gets turned off by the IR. and there is a 3rd-party app already that does voicedial, so i'm sure there will be one when the sdk comes out.
post #75 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmber View Post

you can't dial with the phone up to your ear. the touchscreen gets turned off by the IR. and there is a 3rd-party app already that does voicedial, so i'm sure there will be one when the sdk comes out.

It's obvious that he's talking about both voice dialing while driving and handsfree.

While the iPhone comes with headphones/mic, it would be nice if they allowed it to work seamlessly with more cars via Bluetooth and add hands-free dialing.
post #76 of 99
Quote:

It's obvious that he's talking about both voice dialing while driving and handsfree.

While the iPhone comes with headphones/mic, it would be nice if they allowed it to work seamlessly with more cars via Bluetooth and add hands-free dialing.

i guess it doesn't seem that obvious to me. he brought up voice dialing then said that the law makes it so you can't drive with your phone to your ear.

if his problem is the law, then he already has an answer. if his problem is no voice dialing in general (with no regard to the law) then he should have said that.

as i said, there is already an app that gives voice dialing so i'm sure when the SDK comes out, a voice dialing app will be soon to follow.
post #77 of 99
Quote:

My point is that the Touch will replace the Classic. Touch storage does not have to equal Classic storage for that to happen.

Sorry for being tardy. My daughter's school had a show that I work. It's over now.

I think that there will always be people who are mainly interested in storage, for any number of reasons. Maybe they want to bring movies with them for an extended trip. Maybe they want to store all of their various collections on it. Maybe they keep other material on it, as a backup drive, etc. There are lots of reasons why they may want as much storage as possible. They may rather have a simpler, cheaper machine with much more storage, than a machine that is more sophisticated, expensive, and with much less storage.

Quote:
Apple went from 8GB to 16GB in six months. Then to 32GB in another six months. Barring an unforeseen problems in flash development 120GB will be within reach sooner than later.

I doubt it. You're saying, by using that progression, that in another year, we will be seeing 128GB iPods. Not going to happen.

When Apple was using 8Gb, the memory was around for a while already. The same thing was true for 16GB. Even the 32GB memory isn't all that new, just lower pricing has enabled it, but even then, you might notice that Apple raised prices by $100 to accommodate it. The Classic 160 costs $349. The 32GB iPod Touch costs $499. That's a huge difference. That difference will be here for years.

Quote:
Yes but look at Apples pattern. Apple killed the mini when it was selling extremely well and replaced it with the lower capacity iPod nano. The mini could have increased in storage but the nano was thinner. The nano only continues to grow smaller.

The Nano was a totally different player. And yes, it was noticeably smaller. But, you're wrong about the new Nano, it's, if anything, bigger, shorter, but bigger. It's never going to get smaller because of Apple's new emphasis on screen size. It's all about iTunes video, and movie rentals now.

Quote:
I think Apple is ready to kill the Classic. Storage is the only reason it still exists. Once the Touch hits the right point the Classic is done.

Well, we can talk this one until the cows come home. Until they do it, we won't know, so There's no point in discussing it.
post #78 of 99
Quote:
I doubt it. You're saying, by using that progression, that in another year, we will be seeing 128GB iPods. Not going to happen. When Apple was using 8Gb, the memory was around for a while already. The same thing was true for 16GB. Even the 32GB memory isn't all that new, just lower pricing has enabled it, but even then, you might notice that Apple raised prices by $100 to accommodate it.

Unless I've missed it I haven't seen many mobile devices commonly using 16GB or 32GB of flash storage.

I'm just saying I doubt it will take many years. Before the iPhone no phone was using more than 512MB of internal flash, now competitors are more and more beginning to use 8GB. HTC and Nokia announced a 16GB phones near the same time the iPhone was boosted to 16GB. This will all push Apple to be aggressive on increasing storage.

I'm not sure of your point. Yes quite obviously there will be some type of price increase with storage increase.

Quote:
The Nano was a totally different player. And yes, it was noticeably smaller. But, you're wrong about the new Nano, it's, if anything, bigger, shorter, but bigger.

The nano was a completely new player but clearly replaced the mini.

As for the new nano we can compromise and say they took some of the height and moved it into the width. Volume wise in the palm of your hand the new nano feels smaller.
post #79 of 99
Quote:

I'm just saying I doubt it will take many years. Before the iPhone no phone was using more than 512MB of internal flash, now competitors are more and more beginning to use 8GB. HTC and Nokia announced a 16GB phones near the same time the iPhone was boosted to 16GB. This will all push Apple to be aggressive on increasing storage.

Is there any Moore's Law* predictions on the doubling of SSD?

* Layman exponential definition, not specifically a 24-month timeframe
post #80 of 99
Quote:

Unless I've missed it I haven't seen many mobile devices commonly using 16GB or 32GB of flash storage.

There aren't a whole slew of them. But the flash is used in Compact Flash cards SD cards, and others as well. 32MB is simply more chips.

Quote:

I agree. It won't take "many" years. But it will take a few. With demand for ultralights, both 1.8" HDDs and SSD will benefit from increased production, which will result in larger sizes, faster speeds, and cheaper devices.

What I'm saying here, is the the HDD is well ahead on two of the three counts, and the last, speed, isn't much of an issue on an iPod, or iPhone.

Quote:
I'm not sure of your point. Yes quite obviously there will be some type of price increase with storage increase.

The point is that for those with high storage needs, for whatever reason, the much higher price of flash will, for some time at least, act as a detriment.

Quote:
The nano was a completely new player but clearly replaced the mini.

Yes, of course. I didn't argue that.

Quote:
As for the new nano we can compromise and say they took some of the height and moved it into the width. Volume wise in the palm of your hand the new nano feels smaller.

Well, we can call it a draw on that one.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 3G iPhone to launch mid-year with Infineon chip - report