or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Imacs Tues?

New Imacs Tues?

post #1 of 125
Anyone think we'll see updated Imacs this Tues?
If not this Tues then when?
Been ready to buy, but holding out for the update.

Stageron
Stageron
Stageron
post #2 of 125
i doubt it. i think they would be updated sometime in August.
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
post #3 of 125
u have to be kidding. i'm sure a penryn update is around the corner. i'm not so confident about this tuesday, but hopefully by next tuesday the latest.
post #4 of 125
I wouldn't get my hopes up

you tell me last time Apple has back to back updates?
From the one, and only Travis Reynolds. You stay Classy San Diego
From the one, and only Travis Reynolds. You stay Classy San Diego
post #5 of 125
No, Apple will update the iMacs soon. The last time they were updated was August 7th. With the impending phasing out of the current chips they use by Intel, Apple is almost forced to do this update.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #6 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

No, Apple will update the iMacs soon. The last time they were updated was August 7th. With the impending phasing out of the current chips they use by Intel, Apple is almost forced to do this update.

Yes, and it will soon do it. With the Intel CPU roadmaps and info available, the processor updates have no secrets anymore. The big unknown now is the GPU, although the thermal restrictions of the iMac impose some limits.
post #7 of 125
Yeah, I think a spec bump for the iMac is in order sometime this month. Will it be tomorrow? Maybe. Apple seems to be keen on keeping up with the "updates every Tuesday" this year.

Now that Penryn's been dropped into the notebooks, the iMac is the next choice. I don't think we'll see any crazy redesigns, but the same price points for new processors and better HDD options. Just a little boost. Maybe something bigger at WWDC.

It's been 209 days since the last iMac update, and the average time between updates is 205 days (according to this: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/) so I think a spec-bumped iMac this month is a totally reasonable guess.

That, and possibly an update to the Mac Mini sometime this month. Also 209 days since the last update, with an average of 188. Would be nice to see the Mini get significant attention at WWDC though. Slimmer design, etc.;
post #8 of 125
My iMac is 2 weeks old now so I'm guessing it's a certainty

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #9 of 125
I think the ultimate question is whether or not Apple will also update the Mac mini while they're at it.
post #10 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

That's the best indicator yet.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 125
SUPER TUESDAY!

to be exact Super Tuesday IX - if something released tomorrow, iMac???

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #12 of 125
Usually hear about shortages in the channels a week or two before updates.. My guess for new iMacs is Tuesday, April 1st.
post #13 of 125
I don't think there will be any new iMac for another month. Currently Apple is offering students a free iPod Nano with a computer purchase here in NZ (pretty sure they are offering the same thing elsewhere). This offer ends, surprise surprise, mid April. I don't believe in coincidences.
post #14 of 125
I'd say iMac updates soon is a dead certain. Mainly because the current processors used by the iMac are Merom (correct spelling?) something that Intel clearly wants to phase out. The way they are reorganising there supply structure means it will soon become cheaper to go for the new Penryn as opposed to the old Merom. That is reportedly one of the reasons the MacBook was updated so ahead of schedule.
It is not the mark of a civilised society that law and order can be created and preserved. The mark of a civilised society is to do that, but know where to draw the line- Myself
It is not the mark of a civilised society that law and order can be created and preserved. The mark of a civilised society is to do that, but know where to draw the line- Myself
post #15 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Hehe, same here.
iMac 20",Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI RADEON 2600Pro
iPod classic 80GB
iMac 20",Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI RADEON 2600Pro
iPod classic 80GB
post #16 of 125
...Guess not. It's Tuesday, ain't it?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 125
Y'know. I'd like an iMac 30 incher with a 9600 GT in it.

I like the iMac. I may buy that while I'm waiting for Nehalem re: Mac Pro.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #18 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Lemon Bon Bon.

Is there a mobile 9600GT? Doesn't the iMac use Mobile parts? Either way the 9600GT isn't that great of a card, but it does sound typical of what Apple would use in an iMac. the 9800GT will be the successor of the 8800GT. The 9600 is like a new 8600.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #19 of 125
Quote:

Lemon Bon Bon.

yeah, a 30" would be nice. i had a list of my dream imac somewhere, i think it was on macrumors. but this is all i remember.

30"
matte screen
LED screen
3.0 GHZ processor
MAYBE a quad core
newest intel chips
newest graphics card
and you can adjust the angle of the screen like the cinema displays, plus an excellent viewing angle B-)
but... i doubt anything like that will ever happen.
post #20 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

30"
matte screen
LED screen
3.0 GHZ processor
MAYBE a quad core
newest intel chips
newest graphics card
and you can adjust the angle of the screen like the cinema displays, plus an excellent viewing angle B-)
but... i doubt anything like that will ever happen.

+ a controller. I don't really want to buy a expensive high def 30" monitor with no option for video in.. but I believe I've said that before
post #21 of 125
...is actually a pretty good card. It's merely a die-shrunk 8800GT.

So, it will perform as good as the GT in yer Mac Pro.

In fact. The benches between the GT and the GT (heh.) are largely neglible.

Sure, maybe a 9800 GT may turn up after the 9800 GTX and x2 variants...

..but either way, the 9600 GT in the iMac would be a significant step up from where it is at the moment with the Radeon Pro thing.

...as in panned.

It runs pretty cool too! So, I wonder if it may fit the 24 inch enclosure no problems? Well, the old white plaster iMac took a 7600 GT, so why not a 9600 GT.

It's got pretty good reviews so far from Tom's hardware to...well. I haven't read a bad review of it yet.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #22 of 125
If only Apple didn't give the iMac the choice of one sucky card.

£1400 for a high end iMac and we get the Radeon Pro suck. Yeesh. The GT costs £130. I'd gladly pay that. Give me the choice and I get my Mac at last.

I'm at the point where I just need one.

Choice already.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #23 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

yeah, a 30" would be nice

I decided to use a 30in Cinema Display today for a bit of PhotoShop CS3 work instead of my 20in Cinema Display - never again, it works great, best Hi-Res monitor there is, but my eyes can't handle it, my retina's are still burning and the migraines won't go away

I'll have to tell my boss that after laying out a good eleven-hundred quid on it I don't want it anymore, hehe
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
post #24 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post

I'd say iMac updates soon is a dead certain. Mainly because the current processors used by the iMac are Merom (correct spelling?) something that Intel clearly wants to phase out.

What is all this nonsense about Intel "phasing out" Merom? They are doing no such thing.

They even still make and sell the Pentium 4 and Pentium D (dual-core Pentium 4). Perhaps more pertinently, they still make and sell Yonah, Merom's predecessor.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #25 of 125
It's 1 am Tues morning in NY. The Apple store is down. Kinda strange. New Imacs? What do you think?
Stageron
Stageron
post #26 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stageron View Post

It's 1 am Tues morning in NY. The Apple store is down. Kinda strange. New Imacs? What do you think?

Most likely regular maintenance or just setting up for today's Tuesday Special.
I can't imagine that Apple would release a product this early in the morning.

Unless they think everyone's up anyway watching the Shuttle take off.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #27 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Could be maintenance AND a Tuesday morning announcement.
post #28 of 125
Quote:

Unless they think everyone's up anyway watching the Shuttle take off.

It could just be Steve toying with us. I can imagine him sitting there cackling to himself while we all salivate over the possibility of new hardware...

I'd like to think the mini will get bumped to penryn, have better graphics chips and wireless-n. A lot of people have said they want a slimmer design, but I'm not sure why as that would obviously mean sacrificing features - if anything I think the mini needs adding to, not taking away from.
"Who are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"
"Who are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"
post #29 of 125
Come to think of it, since Penryns at the same pricepoint aren't much faster than Meroms, and they really only benefit power consumption and temperature, putting them in the iMac is not that relevant... Might as well take untill Intel drops prices on Penryn so they can put faster Penryns in the iMacs for them to update it...
post #30 of 125
The store was offline for a number of hours. At least four.
It's hard to believe that nothing was announced.

Isn't this the first Tuesday of 2008 we haven't gotten anything?
post #31 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

I'll have to tell my boss that after laying out a good eleven-hundred quid on it I don't want it anymore, hehe

Hey, I can't believe no one offered to help you out. Never fear, I am here. I will take that 30" monitor off of your hands, no charge. I'll even talk to your boss for you--let him know that I am willing to help out in situations like this.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #32 of 125
Quote:

Isn't this the first Tuesday of 2008 we haven't gotten anything?

What did we get last Tuesday? Nothing as I recall.
Stageron
Stageron
post #33 of 125
I can only buy it if it has one of these GPUs, which is unlikely. I'm not really excited about buying a giant tower to put in my small flat or cube, but duty calls.
Cat: the other white meat
post #34 of 125
Quote:

Actually not at all. The store that was down was the US one; if you are looking for updates through the store status, then look at the european ones.
post #35 of 125
The new Nv 9600GT is a cooler running version of the 8800GT? Which in itself was running cooler than the 1st 8800 series leaf blowers. So...

I can't see how they can't give that an outing if the 7600 was in the last white iMac revision (in part due to the out cry over teh lousy card in the high end.)

A shame we didn't pulverise Apple over the lame 9600 Pro in the top end. 'Top'.

There's just no option to put anything else in there.

It's very frustrating.

The biggest limitation with the iMac is the lack of GPU choice.

...and when you're paying £1400 for a machine I expect that choice. We're not talking the whole gpu range.

But to have a choice of one or two would be nice.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #36 of 125
Quote:

...and when you're paying £1400 for a machine I expect that choice. We're not talking the whole gpu range..

I actually think this is a very minor detractor to iMac sales.
post #37 of 125
Quote:

...and when you're paying £1400 for a machine I expect that choice. We're not talking the whole gpu range..

Why? What exactly does the GPU limit you in?

If you are a crazy gamer, you should just go buy a game box instead of complaining about computers.
post #38 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I actually think this is a very minor detractor to iMac sales.

Ditto. Not having access to replace the hard drive is a bigger concern.

On another front, it is taking Apple a really long time to burn off those refurb iMacs.
Either they have a lot more than usual, or the economy is tanking at an incredible rate.

Normally, Apple computers with a $400 discount would be snapped up within hours, not weeks.
post #39 of 125
Quote:
Why?

I'm a potential Apple customer sez why.

Choice. Guess I'm used to a market where you can select more than one mere gpu? :I

er...especially when I'm paying £1400 for it. :I

You may not see it as a problem. So i guess you've bought one and are quite happy with it. If so. Good for you.

Next.

Awaiting the Penryn bump for the iMac. And it would be great if they keep the same lame Radeon Pro in it.

Because, as AppeL ZeAloTs we R used to teH RxXOr GpU Apple givez us...

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #40 of 125
Quote:
Why? What exactly does the GPU limit you in?

If you are a crazy gamer,

Solitaire, of course.

and...

You're guessing.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Imacs Tues?