or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Imacs Tues?

New Imacs Tues? - Page 2

post #41 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

You may not see it as a problem. So i guess you've bought one and are quite happy with it.

I've been buying Macs since 1993.

The only time I've come close to caring about a display card had nothing to do with the GPU but with the need to run more than 1 monitor. So this required adding a second card. When the PowerMac G4 MDD and later towers, the default card runs 2 displays right now of the box.

Also in the past the choice of display card would be decided on the support for a TV tuner. Now that TV tuners are firewire or USB devices, this is also no longer necessary.

The default graphics runs anything I need. And also anything any of the friends that I support may need.

Now if only the Mac mini would run 2 displays as a standard feature, I would no longer need a tower.
post #42 of 125
The obsession with video cards is a gamer thing.

Since the bulk of the gamer market is now owned by the Wii, the PS3 and Xbox, Apple doesn't really care.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #43 of 125
Quote:

I'm a potential Apple customer sez why.

Choice. Guess I'm used to a market where you can select more than one mere gpu? :I

"You can buy any color of Porsche, as long as it's white, red, or black."
You can have any GPU in an iMac, as long as it's a Radeon X2600.

Alternatively, you can buy a computer that's not an iMac, or a car that's not a Porsche. Also, don't tell me this is a bad analogy, because, like with the iMac, there are a bazillion reasons to buy the Porsche that have nothing to do with it's performance as a car, and which cannot be matched by competing products.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #44 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

"You can buy any color of Porsche, as long as it's white, red, or black."

Alternatively, you can buy a computer that's not an iMac, or a car that's not a Porsche. Also, don't tell me this is a bad analogy, because, like with the iMac, there are a bazillion reasons to buy the Porsche that have nothing to do with it's performance as a car, and which cannot be matched by competing products.

You can buy a Porsche in any color you like... but that's another story. I don't think it's a matter of having a choice of GPU, most people would be happy having at least a decent GPU. The ATI Radeon 2600 is not.. not these days. And of course it is for occasional gaming, what else would you need a decent GPU for ?
Hey, it was Apple alowing to install Windows on Macs... Windows IS for gaming!
post #45 of 125
It was Henry Ford who said:

Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black

post #46 of 125
Apple released the new Airport Express today. Either they have bigger fish to fry tomorrow, or the weekend leak on the Swiss site made it not worth waiting for Tuesday.
post #47 of 125
Exactly what I was thinking
Stageron
Stageron
post #48 of 125
Do we have any idea which of the new chips will be used? I'm particularly interested in the low end (i.e. will it be the 2.1 Ghz chip or the 2.4).
post #49 of 125
Or, maybe Apple didn't want to share spotlight with Vista update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Apple released the new Airport Express today. Either they have bigger fish to fry tomorrow, or the weekend leak on the Swiss site made it not worth waiting for Tuesday.
post #50 of 125
Another Tuesday shot to hell, oh well there's always next week.
Stageron
Stageron
post #51 of 125
It's always interesting to watch Apple's PR moves.

Why not release the Airport Express and Safari on the same day? Neither will make big headlines.

Regarding the iMacs, there's still the "special-priced" refurbs of every model available at the Apple Store. Those are taking a long time to clear out. And I don't think we'll see new ones until they're gone.
post #52 of 125
I noticed the current generation refurbs are cheaper than the previous generation. True, the previous generation is slightly faster (2.16ghz vs 2.0ghz) but it has slower ram and the old enclosure.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get one of them, but I'm not sure which. If the new one had a matte display, I'd take it.
Drink Different.
Drink Different.
post #53 of 125
Anyone else have any news on the imac update? I'm all set to buy a 24" imac but don't want to buy the current version just to have the newer line come out the following Tuesday. This $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket!
post #54 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

Anyone else have any news on the imac update? I'm all set to buy a 24" imac but don't want to buy the current version just to have the newer line come out the following Tuesday. This $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket!

No news yet. They could appear now (in March of 2008) or as late as early June.
post #55 of 125
Do we think the update will strictly be the processor or will it be a tweaked or revamped design?

I found an article here at http://www.macnr.com/ the imac section is under March 8th. The mockup looks pretty cool.
post #56 of 125
Quote:

Do we think the update will strictly be the processor or will it be a tweaked or revamped design?

Look for a processor updatethe enclosure is still first generation.
post #57 of 125
There really isn't any rush on the update, since it's going to be minor. The low end will probably take up the 2.1GHz processor. The higher end will take up the 2.5GHz processor. Pretty basic. The graphics will probably see a boost too. On the low end, I'd hope that Apple would introduce a model with Integrated Graphics to get an aluminized 20-inch unit in the market, at least for education, under $1,000. For education, as well, Apple should offer a unit without an optical drive for further cost savings. In the school district I work optical drives are rarely used.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #58 of 125
Quote:

What is it with Apple users and their car analogies?

:?

Lemon Bon Bon.

PS. Hey, I wonder, would it be asking too much of Apple to include an Nvidia 8800 GT series or any competitive card from last year in the iMac?

Anywhere near a GT or ATi 'GT' class.? And I may just plump for it while I await Neh'.

Cars.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #59 of 125
Quote:

Wait to buy. At this point a speed bump will happen sooner rather than later.
post #60 of 125
All I have to say is this: Something's coming soon from Apple. That iPhone Developer Road Map spread on the front page of Apple.com is wicked stale.
post #61 of 125
I'm starting to think they should hurry up and refresh it so everyone will stop speculating about it.

It's obviously gonna happen soon. What's the next thread - new Mac Mini on Tuesday?

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #62 of 125
All four models are still on sale at the Apple Store. I don't think we'll see the new ones until Apr. 1st, at the earliest.

The only change I really want is consumer-level access to the hard drive.
For all I care, they can keep the rest of the machine's specs the same.
post #63 of 125
That would be good.

I'm currently using 2 external HDs, a 1TB unit for media & precious items and a 500GB which I need to set up to use with Time Machine. I don't like having huge amounts on my built-in HD

post #64 of 125
Quote:

PS. Hey, I wonder, would it be asking too much of Apple to include an Nvidia 8800 GT series or any competitive card from last year in the iMac?

It's asking even more of thermal design. Unfortunately you'll never see a card that uses that much power (produces that much heat) in an iMac unless they redesign the case.

I'm in the market for a new iMac myself - I sure wish they could change the laws of thermodynamics. The 2600 is a lame card.
Anyone for pie?
Anyone for pie?
post #65 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

It's asking even more of thermal design. Unfortunately you'll never see a card that uses that much power (produces that much heat) in an iMac unless they redesign the case.

I'm in the market for a new iMac myself - I sure wish they could change the laws of thermodynamics. The 2600 is a lame card.

The sad part isn't that its a lame card performance wise. It is, but probably is adequate for most users. The really sad part is that the stupid card has caused problems in each of the Macs it was put in.

So not only did users get mediocre performance but also stability problems.

I hope that Apple gets those cards out of the iMac on its next upgrade.
post #66 of 125
anything gonna happen tmw?
post #67 of 125
Come on April 1st! I've been waiting for a refresh for too long!
I'm also in the market for an iMac apparently... Come to think of it though, any refresh would be good at this point!

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #68 of 125
All four types of iMacs are still being offered as refurbs at the Apple Store.
However, there are rumours of people in retail being told that new machines are due "soon".

I don't think Apple will wait much longer, since they'll want to stay ahead of the leaks.

I'm thinking that this is the Tuesday.
Does anyone know Apple's track record of dealing with releasing on All Fools Day?
post #69 of 125
I say it will be a coupe of weeks more until a release (mid April). Like I have mentioned before, Apple have a student promotion running until then, and I don't believe in coincidences.
post #70 of 125
What is the student promotion they are running? Is it different that what is on the apple education site because I am under the impression that this type of student discount is static and not limited to weekly offers.
post #71 of 125
Blimey, it must be Monday again!

post #72 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Come on April 1st! I've been waiting for a refresh for too long!
I'm also in the market for an iMac apparently... Come to think of it though, any refresh would be good at this point!

Jimzip

April 1 is April Fool's Day in the US.
ADS
ADS
post #73 of 125
Quote:

What is the student promotion they are running? Is it different that what is on the apple education site because I am under the impression that this type of student discount is static and not limited to weekly offers.

Apple is offering a free iPod Nano 4GB with the purchase of an Apple computer. It is actually a rebate for the value of a 4GB Nano, and one can choose to buy something of greater value in the iPod line, effectively getting you an iPod Classic or Touch for a very affordable price.

This is on top of the usual student discount.
post #74 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post

Apple is offering a free iPod Nano 4GB with the purchase of an Apple computer. It is actually a rebate for the value of a 4GB Nano, and one can choose to buy something of greater value in the iPod line, effectively getting you an iPod Classic or Touch for a very affordable price.

This is on top of the usual student discount.

Say what? Where are you seeing this? The only promotion I see at the Apple edu store is rebates on printers. The iPod promotion usually doesn't start until sometime around memorial day and then runs through sometime around labor day.

edit: Ahh, I bet know. You are in NZ so the promo must run at a different time there than in the US. Your summer and all.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #75 of 125
I know that tomorrow's April Fool's Day and all, but I wonder what the chances are that Apple will introduce the new iMac on its birthday?
post #76 of 125
Blah. One more Tuesday and no refresh. I keep wondering why they're waiting - and unfortunately the rational reason is they're just selling off the current models. I'm hoping for something a bit more irrational, and something a bit more... now... so I can buy one. This Mini is getting old.
Anyone for pie?
Anyone for pie?
post #77 of 125
Having just undergone my daily ritual of entering 'iMac update' into Google, today's effort yielded the following interesting item under sponsored links:

"The New iMac is here
Thinner & Faster
Experience the new iMac
store.apple.com/uk-store"

Thinner? Following the link reveals nothing but have google jumped the gun in making this sponsored link available? Can't be an April fool's joke as it's after noon in the UK! We'll see by the end of the day I guess.
post #78 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlette View Post

Having just undergone my daily ritual of entering 'iMac update' into Google, today's effort yielded the following interesting item under sponsored links:

"The New iMac is here
Thinner & Faster
Experience the new iMac
store.apple.com/uk-store"

Thinner? Following the link reveals nothing but have google jumped the gun in making this sponsored link available? Can't be an April fool's joke as it's after noon in the UK! We'll see by the end of the day I guess.

Maybe, since no date was specified, they meant the current aluminum iMac is thinner and faster than the plastic iMac.
ADS
ADS
post #79 of 125
Quote:

Shrugs*.

They fit a 7600GT into the last white case.

The 8800 series is a bit heavy thermally speaking.

But the 9000 series is a die shrink with reports of better thermals.

I think it's just nonsense. I've seen a laptop as thick as the iMac with a SLI 8800M set up. And a quad 2.66.

Dunno. They can fit a terabyte HD in there and a 2.8 gig dual core cpu but not a better GPU? I don't believe they can't fit a better gpu in there.

The fact is Apple had a history of including lame to moderate gpus in the workstations. Let alone the iMac.

They can do better. I hope they do. *looks.

The ATI cards seem ok. Offering 'near' (re: outclassed) 8800GT performance for a cheaper price. I can't see how Apple could bung one of them in. I'd probably take it for now.

The next gen gpus are out around July by all accounts. And offering twice the current gpu SLI performance on one card. So. It is a waiting game.

In the meantime, I'm betting Apple shipping an iMac within the month. Gut instinct. And, if they offer something more than a 2600xt but less than a GT? I'm going to get it.

Then I can get my 'dream machine' Nehalem with a 'true' next gen card around Jan' 09, I'm guessing.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #80 of 125
As long as people keep speculating about every Tuesday, the buzz stays high for new Apple products.

Maybe they count on this and anticipate the drop-off - then release the next product update to much fanfare

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Imacs Tues?