or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone takes on the Enterprise

Apple's iPhone takes on the Enterprise

post #1 of 54
Apple's SDK roadmap announcements were expected to primarily introduce the company's plans for releasing development tools for casual developers, but chief executive Steve Jobs started the event by introducing broad initiatives to greatly improve the iPhone's features to satiate the demands of Enterprise users.

It's Already Huge

Apple isn't just plotting out a way to enter big organizations. The iPhone is already there, having grabbed 28% market share in just eight months on the market. In addition, the phone has also become the most popular way to access the mobile web, swallowing up 71% of the US mobile browser market.

Apple introduced representatives from a series of major companies and institutions, including Todd Pierce, a VP of Genentech, who stated that the iPhone is a watershed event in mobile computing for corporations and has deployed thousands of iPhones within the company. The CIO of Nike called the iPhone a plug-and-play enterprise solution.

The senior VP of IT at Disney also endorsed Apple's enterprise strategy on the iPhone, stating "Apple has really done their homework, addressing issues of security, manageability, and integration. We currently have hundreds of iPhone users and expect the demand to grow significantly with this release."

Stanford University also reported having deployed hundreds of iPhones on its campus. Bill Clebsch, Stanford's CIO, reported, "The iPhone has worked effortlessly at Stanford and the user acceptance has just astounded us. We have been inundated with orders."

Earlier reports, including Apple holds big plans for 'iPhone University' on college campuses noted that Apple has set up an iPhone U infrastructure for supporting iPhone use among universities, patterned after its iTunes U publishing system.

Grooming iPhone for the Enterprise

With all of the millions of iPhones already out there and in use by highly satisfied users -- including many corporate executives -- Apple has been pushed to add features to the iPhone to make it easier for IT staff to manage and integrate into the existing systems.

"Weve been hard at work trying to understand what it takes to bring the iPhone out across enterprise," noted Phil Schiller, Apple's senior VP of Marketing. One key feature relates to support for Microsoft Exchange 2003 and 2007.

Exchange is Microsoft's proprietary email server, which talks to standard Internet mail servers over SMTP and can deliver email to standard clients like the iPhone over IMAP, but which prefers to use its own MAPI system for talking to email clients and devices. Exchange competes against IBM's Lotus Notes, which has also announced support for the iPhone, and Novell Groupware, as described in Apple's Open Calendar Server vs Microsoft Exchange.

Apple is also presenting its own email, directory, and calendaring services in Leopard Server, including its new open source, CalDAV-based Calendar Server, described in Using iPhone: iCal, CalDAV Calendar Servers, and Mac OS X Leopard.

In order to accommodate Enterprise users tied to Exchange, Apple has also licensed Microsoft's proprietary ActiveSync protocol and will be delivering built-in support for talking to Exchange using its native language. This will enable iPhone users to gain access to server updates pushed from Exchange as they are updated on the server, rather than requested by the client at regular intervals like a typical email program.

Push Email - delivers messages as they arrive
Push contacts - updates information as it is changed
Push calendar - delivers meeting requests and changes in real time
Global Address List - provides access to the company directory of employees

Enterprise Network Support

Additionally, Apple is adding broader support for using the iPhone with secured networks. The iPhone 2.0 update, expected in late June, will add support for additional VPN protocol types, including the popular Cisco IPsec VPN. Virtual Private Networks allow remote users to authenticate with a company server and gain access to local resources, including email and private corporate Intranets, from anywhere on the open Internet.

The iPhone update will also add support for authentication via password, two-factor token, or digital certificates, and include support for WPA2 Enterprise authentication using 802.1x for corporate and institutional WiFi networks. The iPhone currently supports WPA2 Personal for connecting to WiFi networks with simple password authentication.

Most large installations use the 802.1x protocol for controlling access to their wireless networks, based on a list of accounts managed by a central directory server. Support for the protocol is already provided in Mac OS X, but iPhone and iPod Touch users have been left unable to connect to Enterprise WiFi networks both in corporate circles and on many university campuses.

Enterprise Device Management

Apple also plotted out the delivery of tools to enforce security policies, both for Enterprise users wanting to lock down specific features of the iPhone, such as camera use or the installation of additional applications, as well as home users seeking to block or limit the use of certain apps by their children, such as web access in Safari.

Apple already provides Managed Preferences in Leopard Server and Parental Controls in the desktop version of Leopard; both technologies are faces of the same coin, as described in the article Road to Mac OS X Leopard: Parental Controls and Directory Services.

Additionally, Apple outlined plans to provide tools to enable IT staff to configure iPhone deployments by the thousands and set them up automatically, using technologies borrowed from remote deployment of Xserves and Mac desktops. There will also be tools designed to protect data stored on the iPhone by remotely wiping it in the case of being lost or stolen.

The ability to remote wipe phones completely, including sensitive data stored on any installed Flash RAM, has only arrived recently for Windows Mobile 6, introduced over the last year. However, the tepid growth in Windows Smartphones, rapidly outpaced in the US by sales of the iPhone over the last eight months, appears to leave plenty of room for Apple's new platform to become the key rival to RIM's first place BlackBerry among Enterprise users.

A NOC on RIM

In a jab aimed squarely at RIM, Jobs noted that the company, often equated with "secure corporate email," relays all BlackBerry messages out of corporate email servers and through its Network Operation Center servers in Canada.

"Why aren't CIOs really worried about security?" Jobs asked the press. "Every email message sent to or from a RIM device goes through a NOC up in Canada. Now, that provides a single point of failure, but it also provides a very interesting security situation. Where someone working up at that NOC could potentially be having a look at your email. Nobody seems to be focused on that. We certainly are."

Jobs' comments alluded to a blackout of BlackBerry service caused by NOC issues at RIM. For the iPhone, secure push email services will work directly from corporations' own email infrastructure to the iPhone, without traveling through Apple's servers or requiring the installation of additional messing server hardware, as Schiller outlined in a diagram that compared the iPhone against RIM's BlackBerry infrastructure. Schiller noted that Apple's push email strategy would be both more affordable and more reliable.

Enterprise Applications

Apple also outlined plans to deliver applications through a new App Store, which will be installed as part of the iPhone 2.0 software, and will function similarly to the iTunes WiFi Store. Users will be able to buy and download software over both WiFi and mobile networks directly, at prices set by the developers themselves. Software can even be offered for free.

For Enterprise users, Apple will be offering a custom App Store infrastructure that will allow corporations and institutions to develop their own internal applications tied into their existing services and deploy them securely to their employees' iPhones.

Enterprise developers will use the same Xcode Cocoa tools to develop iPhone apps as everyone else. Those tools will be very familiar to existing Mac OS X developers, and conversely, Enterprise developers building new apps for the iPhone will also become familiar with deploying desktop applications for the Mac.

Apple also highlighted the thousand of existing web-based applications that already work on the iPhone, including examples from Facebook and Bank of America.

Apple has announced an iPhone Enterprise Beta Program as a unique opportunity for IT departments to try iPhone 2.0 software before its general release slated for late June 2008. Additional details are available at Apple - iPhone - Enterprise.

More news from today's Apple event

Apple posts iPhone Software Roadmap event stream
Coming to iPhone: Instant Messenger, EA's Spore, SEGA games
Apple announces iPhone 2.0 software and SDK beta
Notes from Apple's iPhone Software Roadmap event
post #2 of 54
SPLASH.

1st in the pool.

Let the complaining begin......
post #3 of 54
Finally damnit!
post #4 of 54
Phil Schiller is really packing on the pounds... uh, and yay for the enterprise!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 54
Unless the iPhone has some really powerful photon torpedoes, I think the Enterprise will win.
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Unless the iPhone has some really powerful photon torpedoes, I think the Enterprise will win.

cap'n, I think she's gonna blow
post #7 of 54
Seriously now, the presentation video stream shows some pretty impressive looking stuff.
post #8 of 54
@wbrasington

You are a GENIUS, sir or madam, for you have completely captured the heart and soul of this (and other) opinion sites! Unless one's opinion about Apple and AAPL is negative and angst-filled today, it's not worth having or expressing, right? Well, my broker and I just added another hundred shares of AAPL to my portfolio; we'll see this time next year whether my steadfast confidence in the iPhone, iMac, iPod, iSteve, iOSX, and iEtc. is justified.
post #9 of 54
Cisco IPsec VPN ... woo hoo!
post #10 of 54
The active sync stuff looked amazing - I'd like to see the Mac side of that.
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Well, my broker and I just added another hundred shares of AAPL to my portfolio; we'll see this time next year whether my steadfast confidence in the iPhone, iMac, iPod, iSteve, iOSX, and iEtc. is justified.

Guess I'm only 1/10th the man you are.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

@wbrasington

You are a GENIUS, sir or madam, for you have completely captured the heart and soul of this (and other) opinion sites! Unless one's opinion about Apple and AAPL is negative and angst-filled today, it's not worth having or expressing, right? Well, my broker and I just added another hundred shares of AAPL to my portfolio; we'll see this time next year whether my steadfast confidence in the iPhone, iMac, iPod, iSteve, iOSX, and iEtc. is justified.

If I had the money you seem to indicate, I'd buy another 400 shares just to be sure.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 54
If companies are going to start storing SQL databases along with their
applications on iPhones, Apple is going to have to start offering
greater storage capacity. Intel had an event today where they
said they were going to try to stem declines in their NAND business
by making memory for SSD's. Rapid declines in NAND prices
should turn out to be good for iPhone, iPod touch, and
MacBook Air prices at some point.
This all makes me more interested in AAPL than INTC or SNDK.
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If companies are going to start storing SQL databases along with their
applications on iPhones, Apple is going to have to start offering
greater storage capacity.

Most handheld applications aren't very large. The unauthorized apps made by the hacked iPhone community are pretty small. The SQL is the lightweight version.
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

SPLASH.

1st in the pool.

Where's the FM radio? Just kidding people!! Btw, can I get a big "KA-CHING!!" especially from the shareholders.
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #16 of 54
The final piece of the iPhone puzzle is the camera. They will have to offer an iPhone without camera if they really want to infiltrate large organizations. The security risk of the camera is too great, and it will impede adoption.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 54
Putting all kidding aside, I say, "RIM and Apple, let the games begin!!"
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The final piece of the iPhone puzzle is the camera. They will have to offer an iPhone without camera if they really want to infiltrate large organizations. The security risk of the camera is too great, and it will impede adoption.

Good observation. Maybe Apple can have a second model for business without the camera. Afterall, one has to remember this is only version two of the iPhone.
post #19 of 54
I have a feeling that Apple will come on Jun and say that their contract with AT&T has expired and they can sell the iPhone unlocked!
post #20 of 54
Quote:

I don't see the camera being a huge security liability. Cameras are on virtually every smartphone let alone regular cell phones now. With the remote wipe capabilities, the camera shouldn't be a problem.
post #21 of 54
But not at apple. They did everything I could have asked for. In fact, they even did it with ActiveSync which is more than I would have guessed. I assumed that they'd develop their own Exchange interface (probably a hardware device) to squeeze every last dime out of a company that wanted to implement an iPhone infrastructure.

I started a new job in January and had been putting off getting a blackberry for this very moment when I would be vindicated and be able to use an iPhone for all of my telecommunication needs. After the announcement, I come to find out that my company is discontinuing the use of all active sync products in favor of a RIM only approach to corporate mobile e-mail.

I should mention that this wasn't announced in response to the iPhone, turns out the policy changed months ago but I hadn't heard about it.

Bravo Apple. Boo my stupid IT department.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I don't see the camera being a huge security liability. Cameras are on virtually every smartphone let alone regular cell phones now. With the remote wipe capabilities, the camera shouldn't be a problem.

Security it terms of spying: corporate espionage. How would wiping the phone help, after I've just taken pictures of, say, Apple's latest great product and posted it to Flickr right from the phone?

There are many employers that do not allow camera phones. Hell, even Samsung (the phone manufacturer) supposedly does not. Perhaps it is too small of a market, but it sure would be nice if Apple could support it.

That's why I still have a 4-year old phone. It sucks, but try to buy one without a camera these days.
post #23 of 54
Quote:

You may have missed it, but they mentioned for security purposes the camera can be disabled by the phone!
Problem solved, let's see the other handsets do THAT.
post #24 of 54
Quote:

You may have missed it, but they mentioned for security purposes the camera can be disabled by the phone!
Problem solved, let's see the other handsets do THAT.

Or, if you want to be doubly certain, just drive a chisel through the camera lens

Seriously though, wouldn't this be an option?
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

cap'n, I think she's gonna blow

That's what she said!
post #26 of 54
IT departments typically care about ease of management, not ease of use for end users. I really dread when Apple starts catering to these guys. I hope they can do it in a way that won't be detrimental to the end user.
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

IT departments typically care about ease of management, not ease of use for end users. I really dread when Apple starts catering to these guys. I hope they can do it in a way that won't be detrimental to the end user.

I'm puzzled why you would say that. Did you not see the video? Having seen the video on how Apple did it, I really don't see a problem here.
post #28 of 54
The market doesn't fully appreciate the impact these announcements will have on both the number of units sold, and even more important, the impact on corporate IT culture.
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #29 of 54
Quote:

SPLASH.

1st in the pool.

Where is my iPaper toilet paper dispenser?
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFago View Post

Security it terms of spying: corporate espionage. How would wiping the phone help, after I've just taken pictures of, say, Apple's latest great product and posted it to Flickr right from the phone?

I think it's a pointless edict. Those that wouldn't commit acts of espionage, wouldn't, and I would guess that those that would can probably find compact cameras that would require a cavity search to find, if they felt they had to go that far.

Quote:
That's why I still have a 4-year old phone. It sucks, but try to buy one without a camera these days.

I think it's for the fact of not looking in the right places or asking the right people. I went to Sprint's site and found six models without a camera that you can buy new right now. I found two on Verizon's site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjK View Post

Or, if you want to be doubly certain, just drive a chisel through the camera lens

Seriously though, wouldn't this be an option?

I forget why it's not.
post #31 of 54
Let's all finally STOP talking about the camera.

I know several corporate accounts that say they won't standardize on a phone with a camera.
For liability reasons, for security reasons, for lots of reasons.
Apple has the best solution for this.
The phone has a camera, but it can be disabled.
This means the phone's camera will not work when at the home office.
Or it will not work EVER for their users.
Simple as that, problem solved.

Now I know all you guys are going to whine and complain, but when you cater to the business community, the business is the customer NOT the phone user.

So Apple has a superior solution.
In fact, for insurance adjusters, they could fix it so the camera NEVER works unless run from their app that logs photos of car damage. (and those photo files are forwarded to the central database without any intervention by the user meaning they can't do anything that isn't monitored)

This doesn't HAVE to be done, the point is Apple has a solution that can work this way and COMPLETELY removes the camera as any security problem at all.
(we can talk about it's poor resolution but that should be solved in the next model)

And now let's talk about ease of use.
Yes, the IT department care more about THEIR cost of support and ease of use.
Apple has killed that problem.
Simply support your exchange server which you must do ANYWAY, and your support for the phone is basically done.
It doesn't hurt that the end user support is easy to understand because that translates it less problems for IT to walk users through.
But if you paid any attention to the video replay of the presentation, it's clear RIMM is going to finally have to explain how have all corporate email for all corporations going through their canadian central server is either safe or secure.

And now lets' talk about wiping data off the phone.
Currently, corporates have issues with Laptops.
I know of one company, that puts customer data on laptops and using Pointsec to encript all the data on the laptop. So if tye laptop is stolen or lost, nobody can get to any data on the computer. It's encripted with a huge key and about as impossible to break as anything you could imagine. That company had a laptop stolen with a customer list of 10,000+ people in it, including social security numbers. Even though the data was completely encripted, that company paid for credit monitoring services for a year for every single one of those people. So wiping the phone is BIG if it is actually going to do work. If it's a phone, wiping contacts is not that big of a deal, and I think you guys are thinking of this as a phone. It's a computer, and think of it as having data on it including customer data that SOX defines how you deal with it.
Having the phone wipe, and having it be a real computer with a browser and apps that match laptops in capability means very simply that some companies...... will deploy certain capabilities on the iPhone and not use laptops at all. (can't remotely wipe a laptop!)
post #32 of 54
The iPhone 2.0 software is coming out in June. With all this effort to inject the iPhone into enterprise, I would not be surprised if Apple did offer a camera-less phone in June, available only through AT&T business plans.
post #33 of 54
Quote:

Let's all finally STOP talking about the camera.

OK. Let's not. If the camera can be enabled by one piece of software, any hacker worth their salt will be able to enable it with a hacked phone. Espionage is espionage. If the phone does not have a camera, it can be never be used. Plain and simple. This is why at many institutions, you must lock any camera device at the front security office and not take it on the campus. This restriction is near impossible to deal with especially with the fact that the iPhone is now being sold as a business device. It doesn't matter if it can be software disabled. If the security guard sees a lens it will be confiscated.
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

The iPhone 2.0 software is coming out in June. With all this effort to inject the iPhone into enterprise, I would not be surprised if Apple did offer a camera-less phone in June, available only through AT&T business plans.

They don't need a camera-less phone.......
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

OK. Let's not. If the camera can be enabled by one piece of software, any hacker worth their salt will be able to enable it with a hacked phone. Espionage is espionage. If the phone does not have a camera, it can be never be used. Plain and simple. This is why at many institutions, you must lock any camera device at the front security office and not take it on the campus. This restriction is near impossible to deal with especially with the fact that the iPhone is now being sold as a business device.

When a corporation deploys a laptop, you could say any hacker could install software that steals data and uses the internet to send it somewhere.
It's not a problem to prevent hacker software onto laptops, at least enough to allow corporates to adopt them.

There is no difference in the iPhone.
In fact, a corporate can deploy the iPhone in a way that prevents it from accepting ANY applications other than those deployed under control from their iT department.
Again, no different than the laptops.

The corporate world is different, let's get off these "I can do anything with my phone and screw it up and corporate can't stop me" mantra.
Laptops work the same way and corporates have no problem controlling them.
Thinking that corporates won't be able to control the iPhone is .... well..... simply not thinking.
post #36 of 54
Does this open the door for Mail.app to work with exchange and not need IMAP?

Or is this totally unrelated?
post #37 of 54
I think enterprises that ban cameras are idiots. You can buy really tiny camera or watch camera without anyone noticing. Furthermore, information can be leaked out by employees If someone is really desperate to do so no matter what security measures an enterprise have.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think enterprises that ban cameras are idiots. You can buy really tiny camera or watch camera without anyone noticing. Furthermore, information can be leaked out by employees If someone is really desperate to do so no matter what security measures an enterprise have.

I think if Apple completely and totally turned their back on companies with this problem, it would mean zero to their sales.
In other words, any company this afraid of technology isn't in the market for any Apple product so making anything to target that market would be silly.

Consider the army.
If you have a site high risk to photography, you don't let in any device that has a camera in it.
Fine.
So somebody walks in with a blackberry device without a camera.
In the normal process of doing email, they talk about developements, deployments, costs, meetings or WHATEVER, in emails that go outside the country into a centra server in one place in the world that can be sniffed!
Let's face it, going to the iPhone with a camera in it disabled would be infinatly more secure than a blackberry without a camera!

If anyone really cares that much about limiting technology, it's not a growth opportunity for Apple so let's all just move along...... nothing to see here.
post #39 of 54
Quote:

Consider the army.
If you have a site high risk to photography, you don't let in any device that has a camera in it.
Fine.

You just don't get it. All Japanese and Taiwanese high tech companies that have R and D and even production lines on their campus take your camera equipped devices (including phones and laptops!) before you walk on their property. I cannot do business without a phone/email or email device. Most serious technology companies are fanatical about their trade secrets.

If apple is going to be taken seriously for their security, they will need to get rid of the camera in the phone.

A camera equipped phone will be useless as a business device if it is locked in a security cabinet.
post #40 of 54
Quote:

Thinking that corporates won't be able to control the iPhone is .... well..... simply not thinking.

Assuming that taking away camera phones reduces the risk of corporate espionage is the real tomfoolery. But convincing those charged with security or security policies, is like arguing with a brick wall, because they simply won't understand, or admit that they are wrong. All it really does is inconvenience the honest people.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone takes on the Enterprise