or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone v2.0

iPhone v2.0 - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO View Post

Nothing to get angry about?

Printing over BT? WTF? Seriously, who the frak cares!?

BT file transfer has been available on other phones since... the beginning of time.

"Hey zo, want me to send you a cool ring tone?"
"Euh, sorry but my iPhone doesn't do that"
"You mean your 499$ super phone can't receive a file from my 4 year old Nokia?!? wtf?"
* awkward embarassed silence *

Pa.the.tic.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of crap the iPhone is useless at (no mms, no sms forwarding, a pathetic alarm notification, no selecting music for waking up/alarms, no bt sync, no Notes sync, no possibility of having the day's/upcoming calandar of events on front screen, etc etc etc etc...)

FFS When Apple actually gives us these pathetically basic things the whole interweb will cry out in joy like they were invented by Apple and media will gloss over the fact these functionalities have been around for the last decade by everyone else... it's sickening.

I thought that was the point of the sdk though. If your not happy with it write your own app or buy a program for it. There will be hundreds available soon.
post #42 of 63
Quote:

Nothing to get angry about?

Printing over BT? WTF? Seriously, who the frak cares!?

BT file transfer has been available on other phones since... the beginning of time.

"Hey zo, want me to send you a cool ring tone?"
"Euh, sorry but my iPhone doesn't do that"
"You mean your 499$ super phone can't receive a file from my 4 year old Nokia?!? wtf?"
* awkward embarassed silence *

Pa.the.tic.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of crap the iPhone is useless at (no mms, no sms forwarding, a pathetic alarm notification, no selecting music for waking up/alarms, no bt sync, no Notes sync, no possibility of having the day's/upcoming calandar of events on front screen, etc etc etc etc...)

FFS When Apple actually gives us these pathetically basic things the whole interweb will cry out in joy like they were invented by Apple and media will gloss over the fact these functionalities have been around for the last decade by everyone else... it's sickening.

Couldnt have put it better myself. Thats the problem which people dont understand. Sure for what it does its great but its lacking in so many other basic features that its hard for most techy guys to get excited about.

All you lot who praise and and say I dont care I dont need that feature blah blah blah well thats not the attitude to take. You shouldnt be praising the iphone you should be slagging it of for not being able to do these basic things so that maybe Apple wakes up and does something about it. By giving them so much credit you are effectivley saying yeah please give us another phone that leaves out even more features next time.

If Jobs wants people outside his native America to take iphone seriously he needs to wake up and take of the rose tinted glasses cos pretty soon your going to have a whole host of touch screen phones that can perform better than iphone. I really want the Apple to succeed in this market but they are not helping themsevles one bit. Infact they are just giving people an excuse to have a pop at them. Id like nothing more than to buy an iphone but until they add these things I wont.
post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I thought that was the point of the sdk though. If your not happy with it write your own app or buy a program for it. There will be hundreds available soon.

The problem is that (so far) the BT API is crippled. The chip is well known, and attempts at creating apps that use OBEX, File Transfer, etc etc etc have all failed.

There's not much to say that even 3rd party apps will be able to fill the void left by Apple even with access to the SDK

Lets hope for the best..
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #44 of 63
We can only hope that the next iteration of iphone will address most if not all of the missing features.
post #45 of 63
I honestly think that the upcoming 3G iphone wont be a sucessor in terms of better cam and all the rest. Its just going to incorporate 3G to satisfy us Europeans. My reason for that?

Well im sure most iphones have been sold in the US and if you guys had to take out a 2 year contract then they wouldnt really being out a sucessor until that 2 year period had elapsed otherwise you would have a lot of unhappy disatisfied iphone fans out there. Just my 2 cents anyway....I hope I am wrong though.
post #46 of 63
Quote:

What's the point of Apple having advanced Bluetooth if they cripple it so damn much!

That is a very good question and I put it up to the current release of Mobile OS being very unfinished.
Quote:

No sync, no file transfer, no nothing..

No profiles for developers to deliver really interesting apps against.
Quote:

I really hate Apple for this..

Well I haven't seen, likely most of the rest of this forum too, the facilities delivered by the new OS. Lets hope Apple does the right thing and makes the platforms far more useful.

Dave
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

In order to write the apps you need to have the services available to you. This is where there is a bit of mystery right now, just what is Apple going to support. There has been a lot of leaked info indicating huge improvements in functionality, but it is not like there is a public list of supported Bluetooth profiles in iPhone OS 2.0.

The point of the SDK is to provide an API for developers to write programs against. This however does not give one full access to the platform. In the case of iPhone it does not look like there will be much of an opportunity for developer to provide drivers as apps run in a sandbox. They will only have access to things that Apple specifically provides access to. Developers will be very much limited to what is allowed by Apple.

Dave
post #48 of 63
What I'd like to see:

• 16-32 gigs of storage

• 3G

• Upgraded camera or dual-camera for video iChats (with quality/effects settings)

• Voice Dialing (Activated with a triple-squeeze from earbuds button or a button added to
right side of iPhone.)

• Camcorder functionality (preferably with full-screen resolution quality)

• Landscape-style keyboard option for SMS & typing e-mails

• FM-Radio Tuner with DVR-like recording (Useful at gym when you want to hear what's being
said on the tv.

• Voice Memos & Voice to text (for people that suck at the finger-typing)

• The ability to save a photo from the web browser into my photos folder

• The ability to use iPhone as an external flash drive (That's the only reason why I still have my old nano.)

I was wondering about the 3G though. Even if Apple releases a new iPhone with 3G, how long will it take for AT&T to have the network ready?
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I honestly think that the upcoming 3G iphone wont be a sucessor in terms of better cam and all the rest. Its just going to incorporate 3G to satisfy us Europeans. My reason for that?

Well im sure most iphones have been sold in the US and if you guys had to take out a 2 year contract then they wouldnt really being out a sucessor until that 2 year period had elapsed otherwise you would have a lot of unhappy disatisfied iphone fans out there. Just my 2 cents anyway....I hope I am wrong though.

The good news is you don't need to worry about the 2 year contract.
The user is contracted, not the phone.
You can go buy the new iPhone the day it comes out and throw your old one in the trash.
Your two year agreement is not changed, you just switch it to the new phone and live out the remainder of your two years.

So the issue will be about the new phone.
Does it have new features you want bad enough to buy a new one.
(if you sell the old one on eBay that will help with the cost)
If you don't live where AT&T has their 3G workin good, then you probably won't want it.
If you do, you probably will want it.
All the other features everyone dreams about are probably secondary to that.
But the two year contract is no issue so it shouldn't have an impact on Apples willingness
to move the capabilities forward.
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

The good news is you don't need to worry about the 2 year contract.
The user is contracted, not the phone.
You can go buy the new iPhone the day it comes out and throw your old one in the trash.
Your two year agreement is not changed, you just switch it to the new phone and live out the remainder of your two years.

So the issue will be about the new phone.
Does it have new features you want bad enough to buy a new one.
(if you sell the old one on eBay that will help with the cost)
If you don't live where AT&T has their 3G workin good, then you probably won't want it.
If you do, you probably will want it.
All the other features everyone dreams about are probably secondary to that.
But the two year contract is no issue so it shouldn't have an impact on Apples willingness
to move the capabilities forward.

So you just continue the contract and pay the price for the handset just like that? In the UK you cant do that. Well you can sort of via an early upgrade but you will be charged not only for the handset but also a fee for the remaining line rental so you cant do what you said in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

• Camcorder functionality (preferably with full-screen resolution quality)

Hopefully if the next iphone uses the SGOLD3 (current uses v2) then this should apparantly allow video capture functionality. If this is indeed the case then im sure given the large screen it wont be any small resolution. I wouldnt expect more than VGA 30fps though.
post #51 of 63
GPS lovers may be in for a sweet surprise.
post #52 of 63
GPS assisted turn-by-turn directions (preferably by voice directions
so you don't have to glance down at your iPhone while driving.)
post #53 of 63
Modest iPhone 2 Expectations.

1) A2DP for stereo Bluetooth Headphones. It is an iPod after all, you should be able to listen to it.
2) Better Chat service.
3) GPS....? Sure Maybe
4) 3G (Obviously)
5) Better application performance and features. (I have to delete junk mail one at a time. That is totally annoying. )
6) 8, 16, Maybe 32 GB versions. 32 GB Flash drives still cost a fortune.
7) Higher Resolution Camera.
8) Voice recording.
9) New Software.
10) New Designs.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

GPS assisted turn-by-turn directions (preferably by voice directions
so you don't have to glance down at your iPhone while driving.)

That would be very Apple like to blow you away with some extraordinary features like that.

It's also very Apple like to leave you disappointed.

It would be easy if it had a built in FM transmitter you could just dial into an unoccupied station and listen to it while driving.
onlooker

onlooker

post #55 of 63
Just saw some mac rumors thing that reckons the 3g iphone will be made available the day after announcment (this month) and that a difference portable device will be shown in June. Some kind of tablet 1.5 times the size of iphone.
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Modest iPhone 2 Expectations.

1) A2DP for stereo Bluetooth Headphones. It is an iPod after all, you should be able to listen to it.
2) Better Chat service.
3) GPS....? Sure Maybe
4) 3G (Obviously)
5) Better application performance and features. (I have to delete junk mail one at a time. That is totally annoying. )
6) 8, 16, Maybe 32 GB versions. 32 GB Flash drives still cost a fortune.
7) Higher Resolution Camera.
8) Voice recording.
9) New Software.
10) New Designs.

VOICE DIALING ppppplllllllease
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

That would be very Apple like to blow you away with some extraordinary features like that.

It's also very Apple like to leave you disappointed.

It would be easy if it had a built in FM transmitter you could just dial into an unoccupied station and listen to it while driving.

Except it doesn't work that well if you have to go any distance or are in the mountains. You have to keep changing FM frequencies as you enter leave different station coverage areas. i gave up and use a CD adapter with my Garmin.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
post #58 of 63
Accessing 3G for your laptop.

When you need internet access for your laptop but you're nowhere near a wifi hotspot, you can wirelessly access the 3G on your iPhone so you can browse a flash-based website on your laptop or you can download that email from a friend that sent you a wmv file.
post #59 of 63
How do you save a picture attachment so you can use it as contact photo? Seems kind of awkward to have to sync your email then open on the computer and save the picture to Pictures and sync it back. Maybe 2.0 will let you save pictures directly to Photos on the iPhone.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

VOICE DIALING ppppplllllllease

I don't understand why voice dialing is that big of a deal. I mean, I can see that it might be handy, but it doesn't seem to me like it's a crucial issue.
post #61 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How do you save a picture attachment so you can use it as contact photo? Seems kind of awkward to have to sync your email then open on the computer and save the picture to Pictures and sync it back. Maybe 2.0 will let you save pictures directly to Photos on the iPhone.

This appears to be in the v2.0 iPhone OS X release. Single touch down on the image for 2 or 3 seconds and a pop-up menu will appear for saving into the photo app. Apparently works in Safari and Mail. So the answer to your question is to wait for July.
post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I don't understand why voice dialing is that big of a deal. I mean, I can see that it might be handy, but it doesn't seem to me like it's a crucial issue.

i find it a safety issue when i drive...it's a must have
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #63 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Once you get used to it, it's a must have. It's easier to just push a button on your Bluetooth earpiece, speak a name, and have it dial that person instead of double clicking the home button, sliding the unlock button, then pushing the person's name in your quick list. It's even more difficult if that person isn't in your quick list and you have a lot of contacts in more than one category.

Voice dialing could allow voice recordings/recognition for contacts that aren't even in the quick list.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone v2.0