or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Products from when I was younger hard to find now

Products from when I was younger hard to find now

post #1 of 69
How many of you have thought about things that used to be available at the store when you were a child and today seem to have just vanished from ever existing.

I grew up in the Dallas / Fort Worth area and we shopped at several different grocery stores in those days but most often Safeway. When I was a child I remember we used the pancake /waffle syrup called Vermont Maid http://www.bgfoods.com/brand_vermontmaid.asp

Today it is hard to find I suppose as other national brands have played the game for shelf space and won the battles.
I also remember breath mints caled Certs and they just seem to have vanashed:
Remember these?

Now all you see are these:

Life Savers are now these huge things in bags which used to be smaller in rolls which used to actually taste good. Today I am not sure what they are made of but they are not what they used to be.

From this:

To this:

What ever happened to the original Dentyne gum which had that nice cinnamon flavor?

Remember this anyone?

Now all you see are these hard candy coated Dentyne Ice kind of gums sold in blister packs which have an entirely different flavor to them...

What ever happened to original Trident gum?

Now all we have is Trident White again sold in blister packs:

My family used to drink Maryland Club coffee

It does not exist today.

I just wondered if any of you all have seen things that you used to be familiar with as a child vanish in the last several decades.

If so please share your examples.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 69
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #3 of 69
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #4 of 69
I'm not gonna post pictures, but I can remember buying music on these things called 8-track tapes. I can't find them ANYwhere now ! All I can find is "CD's" and something called "MP3"....

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #5 of 69
everything went eXtreme a few years ago.

That "maple" syrup you used to buy was probably high fructose crapola all along.
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I'm not gonna post pictures, but I can remember buying music on these things called 8-track tapes. I can't find them ANYwhere now ! All I can find is "CD's" and something called "MP3"....

Wacky Packages...but I am old

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #7 of 69
after a quick google I found them, but it's just not the same as getting a nickel from your mom to get five "2-packs" of original Chiclets at the corner drug store/ fountain.
post #8 of 69
I used to love these:

And these

and this

I'm having trouble finding the bubble gum heroin needles and the fruit juice in beer bottles I used to know and love.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #9 of 69
What about huge clothing brands that totally disappeared?

Ocean Pacific surfwear?
Jordache Jeans?
Vuarnet sunglasses?

Someone was a moronic CEO somewhere.
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ocean Pacific surfwear?
Jordache Jeans?
Vuarnet sunglasses?

Heh. Ocean Pacific.

Members Only?

Spuds Mackenzie shirts?
post #11 of 69
Good lord you're old...
post #12 of 69
There was this product called Tuna Twist that you put on tuna fish. It was seasonings and stuff. I really liked it when I was 11 and can't find it anymore. But who knows, maybe I only liked it because I was 11 at the time and might not like it today.

http://www.inthe80s.com/food/tunatwist1.shtml

Oh, actually it looks like they had to take it off the market because it caused gastrointestinal illness! Oh well, so much for memories.
post #13 of 69
Quote:

Ocean Pacific surfwear?
Jordache Jeans?
Vuarnet sunglasses?

Horror of horrors.....Z Cavaricci pants. Those high-waisted abominations with the belts that had to be twisted and looped in just the right way.

I had 2 pair
post #14 of 69
Quote:

Ocean Pacific surfwear?
Jordache Jeans?
Vuarnet sunglasses?

Ocean Pacific ... still going: http://www.oceanpacific.com/
Jordache ... still going: http://www.jordache.com/
Vuarnet ... still going: http://www.vuarnet.com/

Obviously, none of these brands garner the sales that they saw in the past but they're still ongoing concerns. OP, in particular, still produce some fairly nice items.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Horror of horrors.....Z Cavaricci pants. Those high-waisted abominations with the belts that had to be twisted and looped in just the right way.

I had 2 pair

Heh. They're still around, too.

If you thought that their high-waisted pants were bad, you haven't seen the insanely high-waisted jeans that a lot of the fashion brands tried to market last-year.

I nearly laughed myself unconscious when the reps at the trade-shows were showing them to me.

http://blogs.smarter.com/fashion/200...et-used-to-it/

The photos in that article are only 1/2 the story ... check out this pair from Cheap Monday:

http://www.thefashionpolice.net/2006...f_fashi_2.html

Yeah.
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Members Only?

Spuds Mackenzie shirts?

Members Only ... hot among the hipsters and thrift-store indie kids.

The brand was licensed a few years ago and staged a bit of a revival on the back of said hipster/indie kids. The new collections were pretty decent.

Here's a link to the licensed collections: http://membersonlystyle.com/
post #17 of 69
Texas Instruments Speak and Spell

Wow those were the good days!

Check out this emulator: http://www.speaknspell.co.uk/speaknspell.html Click play and then when the page comes up turn on the Speak and Spell by hitting the "on" button on the top right of the virtual keyboard.

WHAT FUN!!!

Fellows

post #18 of 69
post #19 of 69
I'm not exactly old yet, but I remember I used to be able to buy a certain kind of gum that I can't find anymore:

The flavor only lasted for a minute and a half, but darn, it was good.
post #20 of 69
M-80s
decent Black Cats
Estes rockets -- that actually used balsa wood
Vertibird
Those red LED Texas Instruments watches (and only the rich kids got those)

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #21 of 69
Ah, the hours I wasted on this game.

.....yes, *hours*
post #22 of 69

You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #23 of 69
I remember in the back of comic books they had ads for stuff that seemed to good to be true. Glasses that could look through people's clothes. This submarine thing that you could put under water and have it travel by itself and really cool rockets. I never ordered one but I am sure I would have been disappointed as they **still** don't have those X-ray sunglasses I always wanted.
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post

I'm not exactly old yet, but I remember I used to be able to buy a certain kind of gum that I can't find anymore:

The flavor only lasted for a minute and a half, but darn, it was good.

Check Toys R Us.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

but that hardly counts as hard to find.... you can still buy them, 'cept now a box of 50 costs about 99 cents !

now... finding these (and unfortunately, i can remember when they were NEW!...

now... that is an EIGHT INCH floppy, and held a whopping 500K bytes (used them with my TRS-80.)
post #26 of 69
Quote:

but that hardly counts as hard to find.... you can still buy them, 'cept now a box of 50 costs about 99 cents !

now... finding these (and unfortunately, i can remember when they were NEW!...

now... that is an EIGHT INCH floppy, and held a whopping 500K bytes (used them with my TRS-80.)

And with the Apple II

I remember cutting the notch out of the side to make them double sided.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #27 of 69
Yeah let's not forget the breakneck throughput of the Commodore 1541 disk drive! wooo hoooo!

Haven't seen one of these in awhile:

post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

I still use those. I used on today. I had to use it today.
post #29 of 69
Quote:

Ocean Pacific surfwear?
Jordache Jeans?
Vuarnet sunglasses?

It's not a product, but one thing I certainly miss from when I was a kid was very few guys giving a damn about the brand name of much of anything they wore.
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Ah, the hours I wasted on this game.

.....yes, *hours*

I had this one:

post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I've got some Teaberry gum in my kitchen cabinet right now. We have a Mast General Store that sells hundreds of types of old-time candy by the pound.
post #32 of 69
the old certs are usually at gas stations. The one candy we can always count on however those is hersheys
From the one, and only Travis Reynolds. You stay Classy San Diego
From the one, and only Travis Reynolds. You stay Classy San Diego
post #33 of 69
Quote:

Hence the wink, but they aren't nearly as common as they once were. BTW they have reproductions of the old Mattel games out now, I have the football one!!

I was going to post Bazooka Joe gum, but apparently it's still around in some form.

Quote:

Heh, my Dad has some of those, plus one of the metal boxes they used to carry around punch card programs in.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I had this one:

Oh yea. I played that until I "beat it". All you had to do was back up a bit, wait for the "defense" to get "out of position" and then run for the end zone. It stopped being fun after that.
post #35 of 69
Merlin

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Wacky Packages...but I am old

I remember these. My folders and lunch box in elementary school were covered in those stickers.
post #37 of 69
We have those multi-colored rolls of lifesavers here in Canada. Someone was handing them out this year at our New Year's Eve party.
post #38 of 69
Hope this image isn't too large:

The game (javelin darts) happens to be banned now.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

I had this game. No one died.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

That game was a BLAST! By age 10 or so, we were throwing them overhanded at a target tacked to hay bales.... I think I'm gonna have to make a set of those for my kids this summer.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Products from when I was younger hard to find now