or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Products from when I was younger hard to find now

Products from when I was younger hard to find now - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Merlin

OMG!!

I had completely forgotten about those.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Heh. They're still around, too.

If you thought that their high-waisted pants were bad, you haven't seen the insanely high-waisted jeans that a lot of the fashion brands tried to market last-year.

I nearly laughed myself unconscious when the reps at the trade-shows were showing them to me.

http://blogs.smarter.com/fashion/200...et-used-to-it/

The photos in that article are only 1/2 the story ... check out this pair from Cheap Monday:

http://www.thefashionpolice.net/2006...f_fashi_2.html

Yeah.

Blech. Those jeans look awful.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post

I'm not exactly old yet, but I remember I used to be able to buy a certain kind of gum that I can't find anymore:

The flavor only lasted for a minute and a half, but darn, it was good.

Hey, even I remember that!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 69
Anyone remember Rondo!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P1hNs94tG0

I just made the mental connection that this was the product Mike Judge based "Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator" on for his movie, "Idiocracy"....

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I had this game. No one died.

Ah, those were the days. No one cared about child safety back then.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #46 of 69

post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

This is a childhood memory for you? Don't tell me, you're... 19?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is a childhood memory for you? Don't tell me, you're... 19?

Hell no, that game came out in 1984!

post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

I remember these. My folders and lunch box in elementary school were covered in those stickers.

About a year ago I was in a kitcshy store in Brooklyn that had those. I had to buy a bunch.
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

About a year ago I was in a kitcshy store in Brooklyn that had those. I had to buy a bunch.

Yes, but was the gum still good?

post #51 of 69
Quote:

Hope this image isn't too large:

The game (javelin darts) happens to be banned now.

I think every family on my street had these. At neighbourhood picnics there were easily half a dozen sets flying around.

How did we all survive to adulthood?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #52 of 69
Quote:

I think every family on my street had these. At neighbourhood picnics there were easily half a dozen sets flying around.

How did we all survive to adulthood?

Hee hee -- you guys ever have a BB Gun fight?

post #53 of 69
Quote:

.....unfortunately, I am the poster child for kids raised with the safety concerns (lack of) for my generation. Lost a tooth to a BB gun fight. Jackass brother poured 3 pellets down the barrel and pumped it like crazy. One in the tooth, one in the lip and one in the cheek about an inch from my eye. We were trouble making twins and I am constantly surprised we survived our childhood.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #54 of 69
Quote:

Gun...gun...wouldn't that imply only having a singular weapon in your possession?

It isn't really fun unless it is a BB Rifle, BB pistol and slingshot fight....oh and assorted fruit from the various trees out in the back lots.

We had loads of BB gun fights. I had a tree house with tin siding and my brother had a club house with tin siding we both had built. The purpose of course was to shoot at each other. The only thing more stupid than shooting at each other with BB's is to shoot each other out of trees and off rooftops with BB guns.

I sort of realized this wasn't normal when explaining how my sister broke her arm.

"Well my brother feinted at her like he was going to get her so she just jumped off the roof of the house."

War isn't any fun unless you have the high ground.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #55 of 69
Quote:

Hope this image isn't too large:

The game (javelin darts) happens to be banned now.

I have a set of Jarts in the basement, in the box in great condition. We found them when cleaning out the storage room after we purchased the house.
OMG the bb guns, there was so many of them in my neighborhood. Fortunately I dont think anyone ever got seriously hurt. I was a terror in the battles with my wrist rocket and bb's or the .50 caliber steel shot. The 50 cal would raise welts so big they'd have to have a doctor look at it.
I never aimed to hit the face, but i did aim at the face from a distance to account for the fall of the rounds. I was a very considerate, and compassionate assassin.
post #56 of 69
I never had a bb gun fight, but we used to have fireworks wars. We would shoot bottle rockets and roman candles at eachother and sneak up on people and throw jumping jacks and firecrackers on them.
post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

What ever happened to original Trident gum?

I chew it all the time. I've never had a problem finding it anywhere in the US. \
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post

I chew it all the time. I've never had a problem finding it anywhere in the US. \

Where do you buy it? What retailer?

I can't find it anywhere in the Dallas / Fort Worth metro area

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #59 of 69
It's always bothered me that "trident" means "three teeth."
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #60 of 69
I forgot about slingshot fights! That was awesome. A local convenience store made the mistake of selling them for a about three days. My lord...every street light in the fucking town was out within 48 hours. The best part is my driveway wasn't paved..it was that perfect sized large gravel!

PS: Don't shoot at cars with a slingshot and then hide. The people that come to your front door to talk to you Mom are NOT happy campers.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #61 of 69
When I was younger, every living room had one of these on the table. I'm sure they are still available, but you just never see them like you use to.

post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

When I was younger, every living room had one of these on the table. I'm sure they are still available, but you just never see them like you use to.

I've got this week's on my table right now.
post #63 of 69
No, not the gaily colored, puny 4 inch action figures...

I'm talking the classic 12 inch fighting machines!

The only thing gay about them was the tattoo on their butts...

But these were men, real manly action figures of all races, creeds and colors!

White G.I. Joes...

Black G.I. Joes...

Asian G.I. Joes...

Hairy G.I. Joes...
post #64 of 69

Eagle eyed G.I. Joes...

Even Nazi G.I. Joes...

I didn't have one of those, my nerdy cousin did though...

I had the All American G.I. Joes, all the way to their pinnacle of badassness...

The G.I. Joe Adventure Team with Kung Fu Grip!!!

Then...I grew up. The End.
post #65 of 69
Quote:

And with the Apple II

I remember cutting the notch out of the side to make them double sided.

Didn't the Apple II use 5 1/4" disks, not 8"?
post #66 of 69
Quote:

Didn't the Apple II use 5 1/4" disks, not 8"?

You are correct. Nice catch. They all look the same to me now

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

White G.I. Joes...

Black G.I. Joes...

Asian G.I. Joes...

Doesn't anyone else find it strange that the black GI Joe was just a white GI Joe with a different coloured plastic while the asian GI Joe was a remarkable caricature?
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Doesn't anyone else find it strange that the black GI Joe was just a white GI Joe with a different coloured plastic while the asian GI Joe was a remarkable caricature?

I thought black people were just white people with a different colored plastic and that all other "races" were just horrible caricatures.
post #69 of 69
Quote:

I'm not exactly old yet, but I remember I used to be able to buy a certain kind of gum that I can't find anymore:

The flavor only lasted for a minute and a half, but darn, it was good.

I used to buy that all the time it was like a flave explosion that lasted like 1min then no flavor you could usually find it at Rite Aid but they took it off they shelf like 6 months ago and now Rite Aid is closing its stores in Las Vegas and soon California
Im leaving this forum, Wish Me Luck!
Im leaving this forum, Wish Me Luck!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Products from when I was younger hard to find now