or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.6 - What will they call it? And what will it have?

Mac OS X 10.6 - What will they call it? And what will it have?

post #1 of 66
Is it too early to be thinking about OS 10.6? I say no. But before we embark on trying to guess what the 'friendly' name for the next OS X release will be, let's look at what we've had previously...

10.0 - Cheetah
10.1 - Puma
10.2 - Jaguar
10.3 - Panther
10.4 - Tiger
10.5 - Leopard
10.6 - Zebra??

So far a rather obvious pattern, wild cats, if I were to assume they stick to the wild cat thing I'm going to throw my guess into the hat and say the next major release will be called Mac OS X 10.6 "Lynx"... and will ship with an Atari Lynx emulator (okay perhaps not)...

If they do away with the cat pattern (would that be a cattern?) I'm going out on a limb and say they'll call it.......

Zebra... and if you check my post further down this thread you'll see my reason why...

And what innovative new features will 10.6 bring? I think the most-hyped feature will be something relating to a next-gen multi-touch interface... but what else? We've got 64-bit, a 128-bit OS is highly unlikely at this stage or next, we've all the 'core animation' we can shake a stick at... what next?! Maybe they'll add a Dock that uses the inbuilt iSight camera in a semi-transparent way making the Dock SO reflective that you can see yourself in it! That would be great!

So, what do you think? Answers on a postcard please, or on the forum will be just fine I'm sure
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
post #2 of 66
Resolution independence.
post #3 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbwright View Post

Resolution independence.

That's a new'un, what's that?
post #4 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

My other suggestions are "Cougar" and "Cheetah"...

Version 10.0 was called Cheetah (ironically), so it won't be that.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbwright View Post

Resolution independence.

That's a new'un, what's that?

Wow, for once Wikipedia has a dearth of information on a computing-related subject (there is an "article" but it's not great). How odd.

Resolution independence is basically about being able to display things on a screen at a fixed size, independent of the resolution of the screen. If you want to display a line 2 inches long, then on a screen with 150 dpi resolution, that line has to be 300 pixels long. But on a screen with 300 dpi resolution, that line has to be 600 pixels long. Resolution independence in an OS would provide an API to allow software to say "draw me a line x inches long", rather than what's available currently, which is "draw me a line x pixels long".

Of course, that's an over-simplification, but hopefully you get the idea.

You could also try searching these forums and on google, I'm sure you'll get plenty of hits.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #5 of 66
I think the main feature of 10.6 will be a 4D Dock which reflects the desktop picture and the windows behind it.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #6 of 66
10.7 seems like Lion to me, but who knows, maybe it'll be 10.6
post #7 of 66
Hopefully the next OS will contain a reliable syncing mechanism so that a user can keep files on a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro perfectly synced.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #8 of 66
It will be called Mac OS 10.6 Pynx (no, not Lynx) and it will be released next Tuesday
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
post #9 of 66
I'm shooting for Ocelot, myself. Ocelots don't get no love.
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Hopefully the next OS will contain a reliable syncing mechanism so that a user can keep files on a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro perfectly synced.

Amen...
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #11 of 66
All this talk of resolution independence, and we had Display PostScript and NeWS decades ago.

I cannot imagine why that technology only made it through to Mac OS X in muted form (Quartz 2D)--other than licensing issues. They had to have known the direction monitors were going in, and could have predicted the need for a resolution-independent UI.
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Unison.
post #13 of 66
is there a relation in the order of the names?
Cheetah was 0.. well thats the fastest cat
Pums was 10.1 well its not the next fastest....

Um.. i give up ill go for "Domestic : persian"?

not really but ill go for "Snow leopard"

Name101

2.5ghz | 4GB RAM | 250GB HDD | 512MB V/Ram 8600M
Pure Bliss!!
And a FREE! Ipod Nano 4GB (student Deal)

2.5ghz | 4GB RAM | 250GB HDD | 512MB V/Ram 8600M
Pure Bliss!!
And a FREE! Ipod Nano 4GB (student Deal)
post #14 of 66
Tabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I think the main feature of 10.6 will be a 4D Dock which reflects the desktop picture and the windows behind it.

And what exactly is this fourth dimension? Because if it's a typo, we already have a 3D Dock. Unless you mean true 3D, which would require a holographic projector. And somehow, I don't think the Doc wants to spare his mobile emitter...
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
post #15 of 66
You guys think we will have 10.6 in January? I think we will. We get one about every 2 yeras
From the one, and only Travis Reynolds. You stay Classy San Diego
From the one, and only Travis Reynolds. You stay Classy San Diego
post #16 of 66
The next Mac OS 10.6 has got to be called either "Lion" or "Cougar".
post #17 of 66
10.6 in Jan? Theres a chance we might know its name by then I guess, but it'll be 2010 at the earliest before we get our hands on of me thinks
post #18 of 66
Yeah, not too much pressure on Apple to release next version. Up to 10.4 it was all about making the OS usable and fast enough, 10.5 was to stay one step ahead of ms, now they are one step ahead of ms, no real rush to get that second step ahead...
post #19 of 66
I think that the features of 10.6 will depend upon other hardware releases. More multi-touch support and a significant overhaul of Inkwells, support for blueray (if not provided by a leopard update). OpenGL 3 maybe, if it is ever released, and full support for ZFS as an option. Some new applications or utilities.
post #20 of 66
My guess is they will reveal the name of 10.6 in June 2009 (Maybe January 2009, but that's a stretch.) And some features in June 2009. Possible release date of Summer 2010.

That's just my guess though.

BTW, If I had to guess the name, I'd say "Lynx"

(One poster above suggested Zebra, and I really like that. (Wouldn't the box art be awesome?)
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post

One poster above suggested Zebra, and I really like that. (Wouldn't the box art be awesome?

The ONLY reason I suggested Zebra is this... Within the Nature images preindtalled in 10.4 Tiger there was a background image of Leopard spots, I found this purely coincidental, now I may have imagined this bit but I thought I saw a Tiger stripes background amongst the images in Panther too, and in Leopard theres a Zebra striped image. Can anyone confirm firstly if Pather does include a Tiger image, and if so does the pattern continue backwards? Ie - a Panther image within Jaguar etc?

As for box art - the Leopard box art wasn't Leopardy in any way. Maybe Zebra will have a picture of the moon surface on it?
post #22 of 66
On the server side I'm picking we'll see Apple build on iCal Server and finally provide a full answer to Microsoft Exchange Server.
post #23 of 66
Thats genius. I just took out my old Powerbook that still had Panther on it and I DID find a tiger image. So far, the pattern you suggested goes back to 10.3. Sadly, I seem to have lost my 10.2 discs so can anyone else help us out and see if this pattern goes back any further? I think there is a good chance that ActionJaxon figured out the name for 10.6

Quote:

The ONLY reason I suggested Zebra is this... Within the Nature images preindtalled in 10.4 Tiger there was a background image of Leopard spots, I found this purely coincidental, now I may have imagined this bit but I thought I saw a Tiger stripes background amongst the images in Panther too, and in Leopard theres a Zebra striped image. Can anyone confirm firstly if Pather does include a Tiger image, and if so does the pattern continue backwards? Ie - a Panther image within Jaguar etc?

As for box art - the Leopard box art wasn't Leopardy in any way. Maybe Zebra will have a picture of the moon surface on it?

I agree. Sometime in the middle of 2009 will be the first time we hear the name for 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Yeah, not too much pressure on Apple to release next version. Up to 10.4 it was all about making the OS usable and fast enough, 10.5 was to stay one step ahead of ms, now they are one step ahead of ms, no real rush to get that second step ahead...
post #24 of 66
I think 10.6 will be called Pussy Cat
post #25 of 66
I thawt a taw a putty cat
post #26 of 66
OS X 10. 6 -- Carbon Free.
post #27 of 66
Why did they change this from Future hardware to future products? This forum is going to be a shambles.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #28 of 66
I'm putting my money on Ocelot too

or how about 10.6 LOLCat - KTHXBAI
post #29 of 66
I think they might drop the cat names and go to a space theme.
post #30 of 66
Well its either Lynx or Cougar and the last OS X will be Lion
Im leaving this forum, Wish Me Luck!
Im leaving this forum, Wish Me Luck!
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

All this talk of resolution independence, and we had Display PostScript and NeWS decades ago.

I cannot imagine why that technology only made it through to Mac OS X in muted form (Quartz 2D)--other than licensing issues. They had to have known the direction monitors were going in, and could have predicted the need for a resolution-independent UI.

Everyone in software engineering at NeXT knew of the need for Resolution Independence, but the hardware wasn't fast enough then.

Quote:

10.6 in Jan? Theres a chance we might know its name by then I guess, but it'll be 2010 at the earliest before we get our hands on of me thinks

I expect the name of 10.6 will be announced at WWDC 2008. If we're lucky, we might see the release at WWDC 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

... support for blueray (if not provided by a leopard update).

Support for BluRay is just a driver. It will probably be in 10.3 or 10.4.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Tabby.

And what exactly is this fourth dimension? Because if it's a typo, we already have a 3D Dock. Unless you mean true 3D, which would require a holographic projector. And somehow, I don't think the Doc wants to spare his mobile emitter...

The fourth dimension is the RDF of course!
post #33 of 66
Does anyone have a machine with 10.2 installed, and if so, can you confirm there is an image of a panther in it?
post #34 of 66
Shouldn't this be in the Mac OS forum? This has nothing to do with Future Hardware.
onlooker

onlooker

post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Everyone in software engineering at NeXT knew of the need for Resolution Independence, but the hardware wasn't fast enough then.

I expect the name of 10.6 will be announced at WWDC 2008. If we're lucky, we might see the release at WWDC 2009.

Support for BluRay is just a driver. It will probably be in 10.3 or 10.4.

For those who didn't received it, here is the text of this year WWDC invitation:
Quote:
A landmark event. In more ways than one.

Everything Mac. Everything iPhone. San Francisco, June 9-13, 2008.

With the development opportunities of the iPhone platform added to those of Mac OS X Leopard, this year's Apple Worldwide Developers Conference promises to be the most exciting, informative conference ever. Don't miss this chance to see the latest technology and meet the engineers behind the two most innovative platforms for your creativity.

More here

Three chapters: iPhone, Mac and IT.
post #36 of 66
Replaces HFS with SUNs ZDF file system.
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post

Does anyone have a machine with 10.2 installed, and if so, can you confirm there is an image of a panther in it?

No "Panther" image in the Jaguar installation package, sorry - actually I also checked the 10.1.2, 10.1.0 and 10.0.0 Installation CDs, but there was no "fur" image at all.

And yes, I had a little bit too much free time today
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
post #38 of 66
Resolution Independence . . . . . PLEASE ! \
post #39 of 66
www. I'm still holding out for Zebra tho
post #40 of 66
OS X Pink Panther is the internal name.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.6 - What will they call it? And what will it have?