or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV DVR interface revealed in patent filings

Apple TV DVR interface revealed in patent filings - Page 3

post #81 of 114
As much as I want to see the DVR function on the AppleTv, I don't think apple will ever roll it out UNLESS the TV networks decide to pull all their shows from the apple store. This is more like Apple's back up plan in case it happens...
post #82 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Apple should sell this device to the cable companies for them to provide as the cable box to their clients. If Motorola ca do it, Apple should be able to do it better.

This is the only way I can see this working.
post #83 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Yes, for playback of movies. And to your point, "include" would cover either Apple including the drive in the AppleTV or supporting an external drive (and there is no way they'd support an external drive and not offer to sell you an Apple branded one).

Either way, blu-ray player or DVR, you are asking Apple to support playback of content that you aren't buying from them. Which is why I find it interesting that people think Apple will put a DVR in AppleTV and at the same time think they'd never support blu-ray. In fact, a DVR would only serve to piss off everyone from the content owners to the cable providers (who provide our internet access). Including blu-ray would be a win for everyone.

Are their not two movie studios now that simply offer a free download from itunes by simply putting the DVD into your computer.... that means they bought it in a store and not on itunes... hmm I don't think Apple makes money on that deal but still allow this to happen because its what the people want. Just a thought.
post #84 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texadian View Post

Are their not two movie studios now that simply offer a free download from itunes by simply putting the DVD into your computer.... that means they bought it in a store and not on itunes... hmm I don't think Apple makes money on that deal but still allow this to happen because its what the people want. Just a thought.

Actually, the movie is on the DVD itself. You don't need to download it from iTunes.
post #85 of 114
Quote:

Yes, for playback of movies. And to your point, "include" would cover either Apple including the drive in the AppleTV or supporting an external drive (and there is no way they'd support an external drive and not offer to sell you an Apple branded one).

Either way, blu-ray player or DVR, you are asking Apple to support playback of content that you aren't buying from them. Which is why I find it interesting that people think Apple will put a DVR in AppleTV and at the same time think they'd never support blu-ray. In fact, a DVR would only serve to piss off everyone from the content owners to the cable providers (who provide our internet access). Including blu-ray would be a win for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Actually, the movie is on the DVD itself. You don't need to download it from iTunes.

Even better. Faster than the download and doesn't slow my internet during the process. If Apple supports this in such a way that it had the head of the studio come announce it at one of their (Apple) keynote address I think it would be safe to assume that they (Apple) would not be against DVR as it is the same principle. Your taking content purchased from a regular store or taking OTA/CableCard signals and putting it in your itunes account where you can then access it from your AppleTV. If there is a BlueRay drive and or a tuner (OTA/CableCard) in the AppleTV itself one could avoid the need for doing it on ones computer keeping the AppleTV a standalone product which it appears they (Apple) are trying to accomplish. The recent trends of Apple have shown they want to give as much to people for as low of a cost as they can while still maintaining a profit margin that can maintain their company and what must be an enormous R&D Department budget. Apple is becoming a very forward thinking company and enjoy watching them as they produce better and better end user products that are elegant and simple to use.

ps I am an Apple fan what can I say
post #86 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

hahahahahahahah!!!
Oh my sides hurt.

i know. getting cable to lose all encryption would be harder than getting movie studios to lose DRM.

But, the FCC already requires them to send local channels in the clear, and as such, many cable companies at least send their basic package in the clear - no help with HBO, et al, but can give you 25-30 channels + your local ATSC broadcasts just with an ATSC/QAM tuner.
post #87 of 114
This is a very interesting topic and there are lots of good ideas. Ultimately the next few years will reinvent our TV watching paradigm - growing from the switch to Digital TV, popularity of HD, PPV models, cablecard standards, and IPTV. What Apple presents (IF they present) will be either their version of the future, or their version of a bridge to the future. I think, perhaps, the existing AppleTV is more their version of the future. Anyway - whatever they do next, some of us will say "why didn't they just add X!??"

I don't know what the future will be, of course. Ignoring Apple, I wonder if all cable companies will become 100% IP based in 10 years? - could all shows be on demand, sent to a dumb box in the home? Or will the box be incredibly smart, and put together your needs from multiple sources, while offering to either charge you $1 to watch the show or let it integrate 3 minutes of targeted ads (customised not just to your demographic - but to your particular interests and needs).

I agree FTA recording would annoy the networks, as they lose their ability to make money on the content - so any solution needs to incorporate the concept that SOMEHOW money will need to go to the providers (todays 18 mins/hr of general skimmable ads, or maybe 3mins/show of targeted forced-watch ads, or a $1 rental, or subscription). There are many ways of combining choice, rental & advertising. But also, any solution needs to try to convince the networks that it'd work AND understand that a multitude of contracts exist that restrict thinking outside the current box!!

As a progressive start, I'd like
1) FTA recording (in Australia we have low payTV uptake & no shows or movies sold or rented on iTunes).
2) An option to rent TV shows.
3) I want to subscribe to HBO etc (the AppleTV could easily simulate a PVR by listing the upcoming week of movies, and we select what we want to "record").
4) Make my (downloaded) TV shows "free" by integrating Apple/Google/Network ads targeted to my interests/needs
.... I think that could largely replace cable, with the exception of live sport and news. I'm not sure how to handle sport. Apple + ABC could make an amazing interactive news system - with short stories linking to longer ones, all downloaded on demand like the movie trailers.
post #88 of 114
Quote:

Interesting how everyone dismisses the possibility of Apple including a blu-ray drive in Apple TV on the grounds that it would compete with their iTunes sales. And yet when the topic of DVR functionality comes up everyone thinks it's the best idea ever, and Apple will definitely need to do this. Doesn't the same argument apply that it would compete with their iTunes sales (don't they make more money off TV shows than movies)?

Just an observation...

I wouldn't overly generalise what "everyone" thinks but certainly the people responding in this AppleTV PVR thread seem to like the idea, in general.

I think a PVR can integrate reasonably seemlessly with an AppleTV. For example - instead of buying a season pass to Lost, you can tell the AppleTV to record it every week - and then you just wait for it to appear in your list (with ads, of course). An "upcoming movies" could show every movie showing on FTA this week AND the movies about to be released on iTunes - ready to preselect.

A DVD/BluRay model can't integrate so seemlessly (of course... I'm assuming Apple does a good job integrating a PVR). Also, the AppleTV can't support the decoding requirements of BluRay at present so it'd be another cost increase. I can see the benefit of integration, just not how it fits into the ongoing development of the online model.
post #89 of 114
Just to change the subject for a moment, I hope they make the remote a bit more rugged that an iPod. Would you ever toss your iPod on the coffee table or let it fall off the sofa? TV remotes hold up to abuse.
post #90 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMinnesotan View Post

Just to change the subject for a moment, I hope they make the remote a bit more rugged that an iPod. Would you ever toss your iPod on the coffee table or let it fall off the sofa? TV remotes hold up to abuse.

Very good point.

Also... I have to say I don't really want ANOTHER remote for day to day use. I can program our Harmony remote to do everything (including AppleTV), so if Apple go for a full touch screen remote I hope they intend on controlling my TV settings and Amp volume (for starters).
post #91 of 114
This is what the Apple TV should have been FROM THE START.
post #92 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

A little late for an obvious function, but welcome.

I might actually consider an Apple TV when this comes out.

For those saying using a computer to run your TV is a bit of overkill, isn't the AppleTV just a stripped down Mac?

As such wouldn't it be nice if Apple sneeked it into PC households as a capable OSX machine that would render their PC unnecessary when combined with their large flatscreen TV?

It's definitely not too late. We haven't even switched over to the 2009 cut off for Analog TVs.

Apple isn't late to this game.
post #93 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

My buddy has Tivo and its just kickass. But I would never, ever, EVER pay for the DVR and THEN pay a monthly fee for the privilige of having said box dial up from a phone line (or via the net) to download what is basically a freely available TV Guide.

For the Tivoted, this might not be a big deal, but folks, you're paying for a TV GUIDE by the month!

I too would not hesitate to drop $500 for a device that did all this with no monthly fee.

And if said device also linked up with my iPhone and dropped unwatched TV shows into it for me to view later?!?!

Pardon me, I need to visit the restroom so i can "comb my hair"...

Hmmm... TiVo has more than TV guide. It searches for actors/directors in movies I don't know about. It suggests programs. I get "TivoCasts". It follows changing schedules for tv programs so I don't miss new episodes....

I would like the capabilities this patent suggests. And I like EyeTV for some items too!
post #94 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

I sense a Apple TV 3.0 coming up in 2 years time

So let's be patient then?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #95 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho38 View Post

As much as I want to see the DVR function on the AppleTv, I don't think apple will ever roll it out UNLESS the TV networks decide to pull all their shows from the apple store. This is more like Apple's back up plan in case it happens...

It is nice to dream though. If this were to happen and the low-end version could be had for $149, I'd buy a couple of them.
post #96 of 114
Yet another market for Apple to enter successfully. Most of today's DVRs bite the big one. Apple's getting pretty good at fixing up crappy products. Maybe they'll enter the auto industry. We could only dream, right? In my opinion, DeLorean was the Apple of the auto industry, only they were beaten down by British government. Anyways... I imagine Apple will work it's way into GPS navigation soon. Hm... what else currently sucks? The government? Steve Jobs for president? We could call his campaign "Mac US". Get it? Too cheesy? I'm sure there could be a play on "Jobs". Steve Jobs is such a good public speaker and so good at fixing things that suck, he really should be president. Come on, with friends like Al Gore and Ross Perot, he could do it. Could you imagine the campaign ads? Genius. I mean, the guy took Apple's stock from, what, $17 all the way up to about, what was it, near $200 last summer? From near death to billions in cash reserves. That's the kind of prosperity our country needs. I don't know why I'm writing this post. I'm just bored, I guess.
Embrace your inner geek.
Embrace your inner geek.
post #97 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It will be interesting to see how much of this, if any, they put into production.
I have verizon FIOS now and I don't care for the on screen guide and its lag and I *hate* the on-demand interface. I haven't yet ventured into the DVR world, but if Apple could come up with something that does everything WELL then I would be very interested indeed.

If they could do for the human/TV interface what they seem to be doing for the human/cell phone interface, well, that would be a good thing.

agreed. even conventional cable television programming guides are horrible interactive experiences.

here's an improvement:
http://www.jorgefino.com/reduction_vs_addition.html
post #98 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It will be interesting to see how much of this, if any, they put into production.
I have verizon FIOS now and I don't care for the on screen guide and its lag and I *hate* the on-demand interface. I haven't yet ventured into the DVR world, but if Apple could come up with something that does everything WELL then I would be very interested indeed.

If they could do for the human/TV interface what they seem to be doing for the human/cell phone interface, well, that would be a good thing.

i have a tivo hd on my verizon fios service. great stuff. i'd probably like an apple solution as well but tivo rocks.
post #99 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbiquitousGeek View Post

Yet another market for Apple to enter successfully. Most of today's DVRs bite the big one.

Since most DVR's are TiVo units, I take issue with your assertion. As many others have iterated, TiVo is a great device. The interface works well and is quite intuitive. The guide interface looks a bit dated, but it does look better after the refresh a while back then it did when I first got it. It's also rock solid when it comes to stability (as opposed to my non-DVR cable box that I had to literally pull the plug on twice the other day while trying to access On Demand content).

One big issue I see is that from the pictures it looks like Apple is trying to shoehorn all the functionality of a remote into the iPod control scheme (okay, that is a step up from the really crappy Apple Remote). I can't imagine trying to browse through the TV listings that way, being forced to always scroll through the list as opposed to a regular remote where I would just type in a channel number and jump forward in the guide. Maybe if this DVR only supports OTA content where I'd imagine most people could only expect to get at most 10-15 channels (and I think even that number would be quite generous unless they have a full-sized antenna mounted on the roof). But imagine the 300+ channels of cable or satellite and having no numeric input on the remote would be inexcusable (it would be amusing to see Jobs spin the BS as he attempted to justify only supporting OTA content).

The one thing that did get me excited was the last image showing "Mallrats" available for download but not from iTunes. The source was listed as CinemaNow. If Apple actually partnered with other content providers instead of the iTunes Store being the only option, that would pique my interest. I know it would never happen, but I'd be interested in seeing Amazon's Unbox available on the device; their movie prices are often cheaper than iTunes (and even sometimes cheaper than an iTunes rental to own) plus their TV subscriptions are a flexible pay-as-you-go/stop anytime system instead of iTunes pay-everything-upfront lock-in.
post #100 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I'll take one.

Now.

I'll take 4. One for the living room, one for the bedroom and one for each of the kids rooms (and maybe even one for Grandma's room for when she comes to visit...... and a second mortgage please! And here is to not only hoping that this will see the light of day (preferably soon!!), but that when it does that recordings and movies can be shared between units in household with more than one! And possibly an option to record two shows at the same time (but I imagine figuring that one out for universal compatibility with all cable and satellite TV systems would be next to impossible!!)

I have been very reluctant to buy an AppleTV, but it wouldn't take me very long before I ordered at least a few of these (if I could afford more than 1). Add a DVD or better yet a blueray player for already purchased discs and a recorder option (to back up purchased movies), full HD (2.1 megapixel) 16:9 video output, surround sound, a remote that lets me skip scenes and as a 30 sec skip option, a hard drive big enough to hold two weeks worth of TV shows and a lot of my movies that I would finally buy from Apple or an external HD option, and some good games, and I'll sell mine and my wife's organs to get it!!! Well, definitely the mother-in-laws organs!
post #101 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

One big issue I see is that from the pictures it looks like Apple is trying to shoehorn all the functionality of a remote into the iPod control scheme (okay, that is a step up from the really crappy Apple Remote). I can't imagine trying to browse through the TV listings that way, being forced to always scroll through the list as opposed to a regular remote where I would just type in a channel number and jump forward in the guide. Maybe if this DVR only supports OTA content where I'd imagine most people could only expect to get at most 10-15 channels (and I think even that number would be quite generous unless they have a full-sized antenna mounted on the roof). But imagine the 300+ channels of cable or satellite and having no numeric input on the remote would be inexcusable (it would be amusing to see Jobs spin the BS as he attempted to justify only supporting OTA content).

I agree with the scrolling through channels to find what to watch or record would be a poor implementation, maybe it will have a good search option and let us scroll through the alphabet for typing! That would be faster than the left, right, up down arrow option that most DVRs make you use now. A number pad would still be nice!
post #102 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It is nice to dream though. If this were to happen and the low-end version could be had for $149, I'd buy a couple of them.

That's true! Keep the dream alive!! If it does happen, I hope we get the programming guide in Canada too!! Then I will jump all over it!
post #103 of 114
Quote:

Since most DVR's are TiVo units...

Actually, I don't think that's true. Most DVRs are supplied by cable or satellite TV companies. Comcast has licensed the TiVo software, but have only just started rolling it out in a very small area (and I believe they charge extra for it and it's not the exact same as regular TiVo...missing a few features).

So yes, most DVRs suck...with the exception of the minority that are TiVos.
post #104 of 114
do it Apple, do it!

DVR would be NICE!
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #105 of 114
Quote:

I can't imagine trying to browse through the TV listings that way, being forced to always scroll through the list as opposed to a regular remote where I would just type in a channel number and jump forward in the guide. Maybe if this DVR only supports OTA content where I'd imagine most people could only expect to get at most 10-15 channels (and I think even that number would be quite generous unless they have a full-sized antenna mounted on the roof). But imagine the 300+ channels of cable or satellite and having no numeric input on the remote would be inexcusable (it would be amusing to see Jobs spin the BS as he attempted to justify only supporting OTA content).

If Apple did require you to scroll through, would you really jump through 300 channels? I'm reasonably sure that in the best of times, I wouldn't need more than 30 channels of favourites. In terms of direct channel numbers I gave up on individual channel numbers after my paytv provider changed the channel numbers again for the 3rd time.

Once we get to 5000 channels (or absolute interactivity) it won't be an issue of course. Still, for now, I agree that some people want to use a remote to change to specific channels. And if Apple doesn't significantly reinvent how they watch the TV in a way they like, those people won't buy it.

(I'm not sure how you jump from scrolling through 300+ channel, to Steve Jobs justifying only having OTA content. Are you saying that Apple would choose to just support FTA simply because their remote can't handle 300+ channels?)
post #106 of 114
Oh, sweet Jesus, please let Apple make this glorious device. Throw in a multi channel cable card (hey, my HOA "gives" me cable, so i use it) so I can record 2 HD shows at once, and gigabit ethernet so I can connect to my NAS and we're set! I've been putting off buying a TiVo HD (the DVR from my cable co sucks) hoping this very thing would come along. Apple, please don't make me wait any longer!!! I wouldn't even mind paying a monthly fee for the service/guide info.
post #107 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

I sense a Apple TV 3.0 coming up in 2 years time

My only thing is that the current ATV still doesn't have an optical drive. I would expect that ATV 3 would include a BluRay player with in 2 years, but if this were to be another software update, I would be surprised if they called it 3.0.

Yes, I know, BR drives are still pricy, even though the HDDVD vs. BluRay battle is over, but with in 2 years development, I would expect the prices to have fallen by then.

The only other thing is that when the first ATV was released it didn't even sport a DVD drive - something I was expecting. Even with Take 2, I was in hopes that they would've included a DVD drive for the new models, while retaining a free download for the first models.

If it's all about "Movies, Movies, Movies" then why can't we have a DVD drive? or the ability to rip DVDs into the Library? (aside from all the legal hassle)

Just my $0.02
post #108 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation03 View Post

My only thing is that the current ATV still doesn't have an optical drive. I would expect that ATV 3 would include a BluRay player with in 2 years, but if this were to be another software update, I would be surprised if they called it 3.0.

Yes, I know, BR drives are still pricy, even though the HDDVD vs. BluRay battle is over, but with in 2 years development, I would expect the prices to have fallen by then.

The only other thing is that when the first ATV was released it didn't even sport a DVD drive - something I was expecting. Even with Take 2, I was in hopes that they would've included a DVD drive for the new models, while retaining a free download for the first models.

If it's all about "Movies, Movies, Movies" then why can't we have a DVD drive? or the ability to rip DVDs into the Library? (aside from all the legal hassle)

Just my $0.02

My guess is that Apple never will put an optical drive in the AppleTV.

My solution, buy a PS3 along with my Wii

(I don't do drugs and I don't do Microsoft)
post #109 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

My guess is that Apple never will put an optical drive in the AppleTV.

My solution, buy a PS3 along with my Wii

(I don't do drugs and I don't do Microsoft)

Never say "Never."

Apple may surprise us all - I never thought that Apple would make an ultra-thin notebook, I thought that having 3 different notebook lines wouldn't play favor to Apple, but here I sit, still amazed that the MBA is 3 lbs and is less than an inch thick at it's thickest part.

Apple could just take the Mac Mini box, gut it, install a 250GB SATA, DVD SATA, and internals from the ATV.

If Apple REALLY wants to create an All-in-One-Do-Everything-Access-Point device, they'll bundle it with a Time Capsule
post #110 of 114
Quote:

Never say "Never."

Apple may surprise us all - I never thought that Apple would make an ultra-thin notebook, I thought that having 3 different notebook lines wouldn't play favor to Apple, but here I sit, still amazed that the MBA is 3 lbs and is less than an inch thick at it's thickest part.

Apple could just take the Mac Mini box, gut it, install a 250GB SATA, DVD SATA, and internals from the ATV.

If Apple REALLY wants to create an All-in-One-Do-Everything-Access-Point device, they'll bundle it with a Time Capsule

"All-in-One-Do-Everything-Access-Point device"

That's the key. Apple is NOT trying to have that. They are trying to have an access point for THEIR PRODUCT REVENUE.

They are not interested in a DVD or BlueRay player in AppleTV because they do not sell DVDs or BlueRay discs.
post #111 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

"All-in-One-Do-Everything-Access-Point device"

That's the key. Apple is NOT trying to have that. They are trying to have an access point for THEIR PRODUCT REVENUE.

They are not interested in a DVD or BlueRay player in AppleTV because they do not sell DVDs or BlueRay discs.

True. I wonder if one could hook up the external MBAs SuperDrive to the ATV...
post #112 of 114
I want...

If you stream recorded dvr between Apple TV units or to your iphone / itouch... that would be even better.

15"MBP 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 24" iMac 3.02 dual, 4GB Ram, Logic Studio, Apple TV (3rd Gen), 16GB iPod Touch (4thGen), Airport Express.

15"MBP 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 24" iMac 3.02 dual, 4GB Ram, Logic Studio, Apple TV (3rd Gen), 16GB iPod Touch (4thGen), Airport Express.

post #113 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS29 View Post

While it looks great for cable customers, I just don't see this ever working with DirectTV. Although my current DirectTV HD-DVR does have an EtherNet port and a USB port. So maybe something could be done...

DirectTV is going with TIVO with a new tivo box and / or tivo software on there boxes.
post #114 of 114
Quote:

True. I wonder if one could hook up the external MBAs SuperDrive to the ATV...

Since we've found out that the MBA SuperDrive does not require any special power requirements beyond what USB specs can offer, it is possible. All we need to do is add the appropriate drives, frameworks (perhaps) and the DVD app to make it work. This may also require a change to BackRow so it functions more like FrontRow, but Boxee has shown us that it's not an impossibility to make this work... at least n theory.

SInce the MBA's Suprdrive is external, making it a thicker drive that is tray loading would reduce costs considerably over the the foolishly desired 12.7mm slot-loading BRDs in $1000 Mac notebooks, much less the eemingly impossible 9.5mm drives that at least one AI poster here claims can be had for as low as $150 despite it's lack of existence.

Too bad we there isn't a CD/DVD or CD/DVD/BRD player that would compliment the AppleTV's look and footprint exactly by sitting underneath it. Despite my complete lack of optical media usage I can see how this would benefit many users and increase the AppleTV sales.

An external drive that worked with the AppleTV, even if it was a hack would help spur more AppleTV sales, garnish more iTS video sales from the 'good enough"-bitrate convenience of Apple's 720p content and keep other HW vendors from selling their Blu-ray products. But can the AppleTV's CPU, GPU and RAM handle the load? Can the officially speced 720p be made to output high-profile 1080p with a SW update?

PS: As for a DVR, that is a completely different issue that would be a bad idea, IMO, even as a 3rd-party option considering the power of the AppleTV when in use by its other functions. Using a tried and true option like EyeTV on your Mac seems to be a a much better soltuion in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

If you stream recorded dvr between Apple TV units or to your iphone / itouch... that would be even better.

Straming is not the most viable option for shows your DVRed, in most cased. I think the AppleTV would compress it as H.264 first and then copy it to your iDevice via iTunes.

But there are still many issues with Apple supplying a DVR to your AppleTV that would ruin the iTS video business model and piss off most, if not all, of their content rpoviders. What I hope happens is that Hulu et al. take a note from YouTube and offer H.264 options for playing their video on internet capable iDevices that don't have Flash (or a decent version of Flash, which is all phones). The embedded commercials appear to be making Hulu a success, and aren't that big of a deal to get the content you want when you want it.

I know use it for many shows I miss instead of using [I]other means[/I[ for shows such as "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" which are usually posted well before I wake up in the morning and before by other methods would have finished downloaded the files.

PS: With so many US TV shows being available for streaming via sites like Hulu, South Park, Daily Show, and Colbert Report, a change to make streams QT(H.264)-compliant would pretty eradicate the need for moving to the archaic-seeming TV-capable smartphones the Japanese market seems so found of. All Hulu would have to do is offer what it did last week with the presidential election and offer more realtime streaming of video. This method seems to be more reliable, more future-forward as HSPA+ can achieve theoretical bandwidth speeds of 42Mbps, all while using current cell technology already in phones while not needed to include additional HW that is more prone to interference of it's outdated system requirements.*

Note: The talk of the Japanese having TV access on their devices led me to believe that they access UHF/VHF-type singles and are not using UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA to get streaming TV via their carrier. If this is incorrect, plese ignore my last paragraph and explain me how it works. Thanks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV DVR interface revealed in patent filings