or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator

Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator

post #1 of 55
Leaked copies of Apple's iPhone software version 2.0, not due for public consumption until June, reveal a glimpse at upcoming features such as parental controls and a redesigned version of the handset's embedded calculator application.

Earlier this week, the unofficial iPhoneDevTeam managed to get their hands on a copy of the beta software, which Apple seeded to select enterprise partners in order to afford them a head start on integrating the iPhone into their corporate networks and developing proprietary applications for employees.

A single screenshot of the software published by the organization offered the first peek at a new set of controls that parents can use to restrict access to certain iPhone functions on their children's handset. Among them are four toggle switches that can be used to deactivate Safari, YouTube, the mobile iTunes Store, and the App Store.

The "Enable Parental Controls" preference panel also includes a fifth toggle switch that will prohibit playback of any audio album or track that has be flagged for explicit or inappropriate language.

On Thursday, a few more images of the iPhone 2.0 software (in addition to a YouTube video) surfaced by way of hackint0sh, this time in the form of digital photos that show an actual iPhone running the software. While not particularly revealing in themselves, they do provide a glimpse at a redesigned version of the iPhone's calculator application that had previously gone unmentioned.

According to hackint0sh, the beta version of the software seeded to enterprise partners does not include the contact search icon spotted during Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller's presentation last week.

post #2 of 55
What's with the green teakettle?
post #3 of 55
Calculator looks different but doesn't seem to sport any new features over existing 1.1.4.
post #4 of 55
Somebody, has been a very naughty boy
post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Calculator looks different but doesn't seem to sport any new features over existing 1.1.4.

Nope. According to the picture*, it went from 5 rows by 4 columns to 6 rows by 4 columns. The extra four button spaces are for a double sized equals and zero button, a separation of the MC/MR button into two, and the inclusion of a ± button.

PS: I'm trying my hand at creating a more robust calculator that has the three modes of the OS X calculator. With the three modes (Basic/Scientific/Programmer) that can be changed by a simple swipe. I'm also trying to include an option to have the values carry over to each one or have them separate so you essentially have three calculators at once. I doubt it will see the light of day before someone else creates a better one long before me.**

* By referring to the posted pic I'm not violating any NDA.
** Neither is talking about what I'm doing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I believe they are showing the Open GL (3D) capabilities on the phone.
post #7 of 55
Wonderful! Apple finds the time to add parental controls to the iPhone (how many people are really going to find this useful??), but not a To Do app that synchs with iCal/Mail.

WTF?

Does Steve Jobs have some irrational hatred of To Dos? I can't think of any other reason why there would *still* be no sign of them.
post #8 of 55
RLM software has done a great job of putting sims of these into OS X - the iPhone iPT is just RIPE for these...
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Wonderful! Apple finds the time to add parental controls to the iPhone (how many people are really going to find this useful??), but not a To Do app that synchs with iCal/Mail.

This is odd. I figured that this would been tied to the iPhone once Leopard was released. It's beyond me why this isn't included.

Yesterday checked to see if parentally controlled emails and iChat can be approved through Mobile OS X or through the .Mac mail interface. They cannot. I was surprised about the webmail option, but was about the Mobile OS X option. This really need to be rectified.
post #10 of 55
Most likely... the teapot is an OpenGL primitive-- it's an arbitrary complex shape that tests a lot of different rendering cases. It's thus the default standard model used to test any basic OpenGL implementation.
post #11 of 55
Wonder if that will be ported over to the iTouch as well ?

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

What's the squiggle to the right of the kettle?

Is it a sketchpad like the one on the little Nintendo?
post #13 of 55
Quote:

Dude!

It's got SIGN CHANGE in it now!

I was getting all excited, but then my hopes were dashed. No trig functions? Total bullshit -- that's a deal-breaker! I want to be able to carry around my co-secants with me at all time. Screw 3G -- give me a decent scientific calculator (RPN would be cool.)
post #14 of 55
The too limited calculator (no 1/x, sqroot) was always strange to me on such a high performance device like the iphone/itouch. Now with the SDK there is no reason to worry since a great 3rd party app is certain to appear. Although I have Ti Titanium, the best calc I EVER used was on a PALM, and that remains the only reason I miss Palm. (I used it on treo 650) I can still use it, but why carry 2 devices everywhere. In case any one is interested in a great calculator they are from infinitysw.com ( I have no relation with this company, but after years of trying all the rest - this one is better than my dedicated calculator
post #15 of 55
A very interesting little detail on the screens...
post #16 of 55
Hey, guys, the following message is for you programmers out there :

Can someone PLEASE create a TI-89 style graphing calculator program? It would simply be AWESMOME if i could use the iphone to make 3D graphs and be able to pan/rotate/zoom at a single swipe of the finger.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEE? Thx!
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

Hey, guys, the following message is for you programmers out there :

Can someone PLEASE create a TI-89 style graphing calculator program? It would simply be AWESMOME if i could use the iphone to make 3D graphs and be able to pan/rotate/zoom at a single swipe of the finger.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEE? Thx!

I imagine that will come, though not in June, and be very successful at a much lower rate and have more features than dedicated graphing calculators. There will be tradeoffs: the battery life will be lower, it will be nice if there is an option to save all your keystrokes when you sync to you PC/Mac.
post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaCider View Post

A very interesting little detail on the screens...

Maybe - but it could be a German phone.
post #19 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nope. According to the picture*, it went from 5 rows by 4 columns to 6 rows by 4 columns. The extra four button spaces are for a double sized equals and zero button, a separation of the MC/MR button into two, and the inclusion of a ± button.

So ± button is an advanced feature?
post #20 of 55
Quote:

This is odd. I figured that this would been tied to the iPhone once Leopard was released. It's beyond me why this isn't included.

Yesterday checked to see if parentally controlled emails and iChat can be approved through Mobile OS X or through the .Mac mail interface. They cannot. I was surprised about the webmail option, but was about the Mobile OS X option. This really need to be rectified.

How many parents are buying their kids iPhones who are young enough to even need parental controls? "Oh, I don't want my 9 year old surfing naughty websites on his iPhone." COME ON!
post #21 of 55
Quote:

So ± button is an advanced feature?

Who said it was advanced?
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A single screenshot of the software published by the organization offered the first peek at a new set of controls that parents can use to restrict access to certain iPhone functions on their children's handset.

Honestly, what kind of parent would even consider giving their kid an iPhone? It's not an issue of having the money. I would not want my kid going around flashing a $400+ device in the face of other kids. It's just asking for trouble.

Every phone has parental controls on it. IT'S CALLED "TAKING THE PHONE AWAY!!!"

I guess if the kids whine enough, mommy and daddy will do pretty much anything to keep them quiet.

It's just wrong.
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

How many parents are buying their kids iPhones who are young enough to even need parental controls? "Oh, I don't want my 9 year old surfing naughty websites on his iPhone." COME ON!

If you are referring to my second paragraph, I am referring to parents okaying email and iChat contacts of their children's Macs with their iPhone/Touch, Since most parents use Windows computers at work they can't approve such a service until they get home. This is too limiting and makes the feature pretty pointless until there is a remote way of approving their request. Mobile OS X is a perfect solution.
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmon750 View Post

Honestly, what kind of parent would even consider giving their kid an iPhone? It's not an issue of having the money. I would not want my kid going around flashing a $400+ device in the face of other kids. It's just asking for trouble.

I guess if the kids whine enough, mommy and daddy will do pretty much anything to keep them quiet.

It's just wrong.

I don't think you are looking at the long term. Mobile OS X will undoubtedly filter to other Apple devices. I forsee cheaper iPods running OS X and eventually larger touchscreen devices. While you can't see this being a good fit for your kids there are plenty of parents who might if the parental controls offered them a safer environment. Also, neither cell phones nor Mo3 players something children had at one time and now they are not only commonplace but you can find said devices designed specifically for younger age groups.
post #25 of 55
Quote:

I don't thin you are looking at the big picture. Mobile OS X will undoubtedly filter to other Apple devices. I forsee cheaper iPods running OS X and eventually larger touchscreen devices. While you can't see this being a good fit for your kids there are plenty of parents who might if the parental controls offered them a safer environment.

No disrespect intended, but I am looking at the big picture. Kids in general have no business going around flashing expensive toys like that. It's not an issue of my personally not seeing this as inappropriate for my kids or whether they want email access or whatever type of function. This is about personal safety and sending the wrong message to their kids and other kids. It's reality.

A parent (regardless of income level) has major issues to rationalize giving their kid such an expensive phone. Will their parents wonder why their kid gets robbed walking home from school or in a shopping mall?
post #26 of 55
Quote:

It's just wrong.

This feature is probably targeting the iPod Touch not the iPhone.
post #27 of 55
Quote:

No disrespect intended, but I am looking at the big picture.
A parent (regardless of income level) has major issues to rationalize giving their kid such an expensive phone.

That is my point. You assume that it will be used only as a phone and only with expensive item. I see no reason why mobileSafari will not be added to other iPods besides the Touch and that prices will fall to a point that devices running Mobile OS X will be easily obtainable like other PMP/MIDs. Apple seems to be making a move toward the PSP and DS market as much as RiM''s market. Are these handheld gaming devices not expensive items used by the young? Do they not have access to web browsers? An elite product one day will be commonplace the next.
post #28 of 55
Quote:

That is my point. You assume that it will be used only as a phone and only with expensive item. I see no reason why mobileSafari will not be added to other iPods besides the Touch and that prices will fall to a point that devices running Mobile OS X will be easily obtainable like other PMP/MIDs. Apple seems to be making a move toward the PSP and DS market as much as RiM''s market. Are these handheld gaming devices not expensive items used by the young? Do they not have access to web browsers? An elite product one day will be commonplace the next.

Very well said and I understand your point entirely. However, as this article pertains mainly to adding the parental controls to a $400 phone, I am staying within those bounds. Parents have no business giving their kids a "mug me/steal me/beat-me-up/I'm better than you" device to begin with. I don't have a problem with Apple putting these controls on devices.

I know Apple is looking at the bigger picture of using the power of OSX into future devices and I hope they do. It's exciting stuff that Apple is doing. I have no problem with them putting it in a future $50 widget for kids with controls. But having parents giving kids multi-hundred-dollar devices is just wrong.
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar315 View Post

Wonder if that will be ported over to the iTouch as well ?

Of course it will be. Imagine the lawsuits if a child was molested via their iTouch.
Everyone pounced on me on Feb 6th when I mentioned this was needed (afte the facebook iPhone add) and here you are.
post #30 of 55
Quote:

PS: I'm trying my hand at creating a more robust calculator that has the three modes of the OS X calculator. With the three modes (Basic/Scientific/Programmer) that can be changed by a simple swipe. I'm also trying to include an option to have the values carry over to each one or have them separate so you essentially have three calculators at once. I doubt it will see the light of day before someone else creates a better one long before me.**

* By referring to the posted pic I'm not violating any NDA.
** Neither is talking about what I'm doing.

They may have changed the calculator design to avoid a lawsuit from the German design it was clearly stolen from.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 55
Quote:

WTF?

Does Steve Jobs have some irrational hatred of To Dos? I can't think of any other reason why there would *still* be no sign of them.

Don't worry. There will be plenty of exciting new apps from developers... "to do lists" would be one of 'em.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #32 of 55

Do I smell a cool eBook reader?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Dude!

It's got SIGN CHANGE in it now!

I was getting all excited, but then my hopes were dashed. No trig functions? Total bullshit -- that's a deal-breaker! I want to be able to carry around my co-secants with me at all time. Screw 3G -- give me a decent scientific calculator (RPN would be cool.)

There's an SDK now. Shout loud enough to the right people and you might get your wish

Omnigroup has made some fantastic apps for the Mac. I'd love to see what they could do for the iPhone...
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #34 of 55
Quote:

WTF?

Amen. I do want 3G but the lack of a To Do application is the big reason keeping me away. With all of the recent focus to enterprise functionality I can't bvelieve no mention of this has been made.

--Dave
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #35 of 55
iPhone 2.0 due in June 2008 should sport a 32GB flash memory, 3G technology, 5MP Camera, Outlook Exchange comparibility with more software at $500 with cheeper models with less features.

Apple really needs to pull this off to gain market share.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Amen. I do want 3G but the lack of a To Do application is the big reason keeping me away. With all of the recent focus to enterprise functionality I can't bvelieve no mention of this has been made.

--Dave

Have you tried Noter by dBelement? It's really good actually.
Current events, apple updates, news. Keep yourself up to date with the rest of the world http://doink.biz
Current events, apple updates, news. Keep yourself up to date with the rest of the world http://doink.biz
post #37 of 55
Quote:

Who said it was advanced?

The article originally said advanced calculator (when I read it). As you can see, the discussion topic title still reads "Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator".
post #38 of 55
Now if they made the calculator a RPN Reverse Polish Notation calculator it would have been sweet. Once you use one of those you don't go back to a regular one.
post #39 of 55
Quote:

The article originally said advanced calculator (when I read it). As you can see, the discussion topic title still reads "Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator".

Gotcha. I was confused because you quoted my post.
post #40 of 55
The iPhone has the potential to run incredible graphing calculator software with its specs—imagine full-sized colorful charts and 3D graphs, all touch-based.

Not that I don't appreciate the ± button (just a few weeks ago I had to use my iPhone in my math class. It was a little obnoxious.)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Exposed: iPhone 2.0's parental controls, advanced calculator