or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser

Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser - Page 2

post #41 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Surely it is false adversing to make false claims. It is not just a boast it is illegal.

Also I must confess I have only tried Safari on OS X.

Software and hardware companies that make product performance-specific claims "always" have test results to back it up. The testing, however, is done on controlled computers set up with specific operational settings enabled/disabled to merely "simulate" user conditions. The fact that it may or may not perform exactly the same on your or my computers doesn't make it false advertising.

These test set-ups typically are done with NO third party software installed that may affect outcome... in fact, the test computers may even be optimized with specific hardware to help prove claims. Caches may be set to not store info; cookies may have been disabled. The point is, they don't just go out into people's homes with a stopwatch and time how it works with your system.

Everybody does it this way -- if you don't think so, look at the rating for fuel economy on a new car, and then buy it and drive it. Chances are, you aren't going to get equivalent performance most of the time.

As for FireWire relevance, that has long been Apple's way of preventing claims against software operational dysfunctions when OS X is "installed" on G3-upgraded Macs that predated built-in FireWire.
post #42 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Odd. For me, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Still no crashes. And my corporate website would lock up Safari very quickly - I think it was something to do with security certificates.

- Jasen.

Try going to ESPN.COM that site always made safari crash!
post #43 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

D'oh, if you use 1Password, you might want to hold off on updating....

Big DOH! Too late for me. I'll have to switch back to FF until 1Pw works
post #44 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

I wonder why Apple released 3.1 with such an old build of webkit. Current nightlies of Webkit are at 93.

Because software companies like to test software before they release it. I would hope that Apple froze the code at least a month ago to allow for sufficient QA to be done before releasing it.
post #45 of 125
The Appleinsider web page is causing Safari to crash as I naviagte around it.

Not seen the problem anywhere else. It could be related to the adverts that are being served up I suppose as they are UK specific.

Ian
post #46 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

No "new tab" button? Does anyone else think this remains a strange omission?

Since there's a key command for it...no.

Learn to use key commands, mousing to a menu button is a waste of time.
post #47 of 125
Quote:
(a new tab button or the option to show the tab bar always - Ctrl+T is not the easiest or fastest way)

Dude, if you say ctrl + T is not the fastest way, then you gotta be a troll cause Ctrl + T (note that you dont need to press the + keypad) is much faster then moving your mouse to the tab bar button. No matter what you cant beat the fact that using your fingers that god gave you to access functions in Safari that is simple to remember is much faster then navigating your mouse to a button.

Hmm, it seems they removed the report bug button. Much more cleaner looks, I still consider FF and IE as messy browsers cause of the buttons, IE is the worst. FF is still okay and fast, but its as fast as Safari, try doing a side by side comparison in page loading (make sure that its a page that both software never visit before)
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
post #48 of 125
I can not tell a speed difference yet. Seem about the same for me on my Mac Book Pro 2.2
post #49 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Apple doesn't like putting buttons everywhere, there's the CMD-T shortcut for a New Tab

Besides the new double-click trick, you could try programming one of your Mighty Mouse functions to do this.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #50 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

According to the new features mentioned by Apple it appears you can double click in the tab area to add a new tab too... About the Safari 3.1 Update

Double-clicking on the tab bar for a new tab has been a feature for some time now.
The only problem with that is that it only works if you already have 2 or more tabs. With no tabs, you have no tab bar to click on.
post #51 of 125
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #52 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

There is an option to always show the tab bar. And now you can double-click said tab bar to create a new tab.

There you go - problem solved.
post #53 of 125
Quote:

There is an option to always show the tab bar. And now you can double-click said tab bar to create a new tab.

By far the best approach, however, is to cntl-click any link or bookmark, which opens the link in a new tab. Bar far more efficient than opening a blank tab and then navigating to the url through that tab.
post #54 of 125
Apple's servers must be overloaded. I can't get to it in Software Update.
post #55 of 125
Sorry, my mistake, it seems now they make the report bug button as a add to use button kinda thing which can be located in view -> customize bar.

Wow, thats a very simplified safari browser.
post #56 of 125
Safari 3.1 seems to have disabled localhost pages on my G5.
This is critical for developing web sites loacally. Any thoughts?
post #57 of 125
Null.
post #58 of 125
now I know that thher is a clear rational for announcing that software is only good for computers with built-in firewire, but doesn't that kind screw the macbook air users?
post #59 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

D'oh, if you use 1Password, you might want to hold off on updating....

Here's a fix:
http://heatery.wordpress.com/2008/03...ith-safari-31/
post #60 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Trust me, it's an absolute joy not to have any toolbar buttons in the browser, I replaced everything with keyboard shortcuts:

Back= command [ (or delete, though that doesn't always work)
Forward= command ]
Reload= command r
Stop= command .
Location= command l
Search bar= command l tab
Bookmark page= command d
Print= command p (of course)

Oh wait, there are 3 more:
show/hide status bar= command /
show/hide toolbar= command shift \\ (or command |)
New tab/window= command t/n (also w for closing, and I'm not sure how I forgot these)

Don't use the homepage one, my homepage is about:blank so there's no point. Everything else after that can pretty much go to hell because I either don't use it or use it so rarely that I access it from the menu bar instead.

Sebastian

Also, don't forget the all-powerful Cmd - Q for Quit program (analogous to Alt - F4 on Windows machines). And, I've used CMD - Left and Cmd Right arrows to navigate back and forth on webpages. These are easy enough for "right-hand" navigation.
Apple IIe, Mac Classic, Performa 6200, MacBook (Black Core 2 duo with 2.0 G RAM, IPods (G2 up to G5), iPhone. word?
Apple IIe, Mac Classic, Performa 6200, MacBook (Black Core 2 duo with 2.0 G RAM, IPods (G2 up to G5), iPhone. word?
post #61 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Apple doesn't like putting buttons everywhere, there's the CMD-T shortcut for a New Tab

Command-T worked in the previous version also.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #62 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post

The Appleinsider web page is causing Safari to crash as I naviagte around it.

Not seen the problem anywhere else. It could be related to the adverts that are being served up I suppose as they are UK specific.

AI uses all sorts of wonky scripts to open pop-up ads that Firefox and Safari can't block. You can definitely blame it on AI.
post #63 of 125
Quote:

The Report Bug button is still there, just secondary click the browser toolbar and open the customize dialog. Oh and if you hate buttons... heh, well let me show you a screenshot of what my browser toolbar looks like (resized so that it wouldn't be too wide for the thread):

Sebastian

What is your interest in inquisitors???
post #64 of 125
Now Why doesn't Safari have a cleverer way of organising the history, this seems like a huge omission, and one that really should be sorted out.
5g iPod White 60gb (v.1:broken, v.2:broken, v.3:stolen)

1g iPod Shuffle 512mb (broken)

2g iPod Shuffle 512mb

Airport Express

14800 songs.

C2D MacBook Pro - 2.33ghz - 160gb HD - 2gb RAM (v.1:...
5g iPod White 60gb (v.1:broken, v.2:broken, v.3:stolen)

1g iPod Shuffle 512mb (broken)

2g iPod Shuffle 512mb

Airport Express

14800 songs.

C2D MacBook Pro - 2.33ghz - 160gb HD - 2gb RAM (v.1:...
post #65 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Safari 3.1 for Mac OS X requires Mac OS X Leopard or Mac OS X Tiger version 10.4.11, a minimum of 256MB of memory and is designed to run on any Intel-based Mac or a Mac with a PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor and built-in FireWire. Safari 3.1 for Windows requires Windows XP or Windows Vista, a minimum of 256MB of memory and a system with at least a 500 MHz Intel Pentium processor.

Obvious the list requirement for built-in FireWire in the article is incorrect.

As posted on Apple and in the Safari Product Overiew, March 2008 pdf:

System Requirements

Mac Requirements
• Mac OS X Leopard or Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.11 or later

Windows Requirements
• Windows XP or Windows Vista
• 500MHz Pentium-class processor or better
• 256MB of RAM

We have tested the update in a number of configurations with and without FireWire. No problem. Runs fast on Macs and our lonely PC.
post #66 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by fARGINaPPLES View Post

Also, don't forget the all-powerful Cmd - Q for Quit program (analogous to Alt - F4 on Windows machines). And, I've used CMD - Left and Cmd Right arrows to navigate back and forth on webpages. These are easy enough for "right-hand" navigation.

One great shortcut I use all the time is 'Command-D' to bookmark, rename and save it directly in a preset folder on the Booksmarks Bar.

More than once, I caught students/clients selecting a web page, dropping it to the Bookmarks Bar after renaming it. Then selecting and dragging the renamed bookmark into a Folder on Bookmarks Bar.

The advantage of using Command-D, it is extremely fast, lets you immediately drop a renamed bookmark in a folder on your Bookmarks Bar, and without needing to select the web address.
post #67 of 125
Quote:

Gets to 75 on the ACID3 test. Firefox 2.0 only makes it to 52. Safari 3.0.4 on Windows makes it to 39.

I'm using XP Windows box w/ Internet Exploder 7.05 at work and I get 13.
post #68 of 125
I love Safari! Thanks Apple.
post #69 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryllium View Post

Here's a fix:
http://heatery.wordpress.com/2008/03...ith-safari-31/

You the man
post #70 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by randic View Post

Try going to ESPN.COM that site always made safari crash!

Just perfect here. In my user experience Safari has been the best browser ever and i've tried everything :-)
post #71 of 125
Quote:

Hmm? Safari 3.1 passes it [Acid2 test], I just checked. Also I noticed Safari 3.1 to be a bit more stable.

On my Intel MacBook running 10.4.11, it doesn't. Screen shot:

It also doesn't work on Safari 3.1 running on Windows XP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

By far the best approach, however, is to cntl-click any link or bookmark, which opens the link in a new tab. Bar far more efficient than opening a blank tab and then navigating to the url through that tab.

Interesting. All the URLs you visit are links are they? You never type one into the address bar yourself?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #72 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

No "new tab" button? Does anyone else think this remains a strange omission?

Just double-click in the tab bar. Boom!
post #73 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

now I know that thher is a clear rational for announcing that software is only good for computers with built-in firewire, but doesn't that kind screw the macbook air users?

The reference to Firewire as a requirement only has to do with the fact that the architecture of the hardware changed when Firewire was introduced. Firewire isn't needed to run Safari.
post #74 of 125
Quote:

Gets to 75 on the ACID3 test. Firefox 2.0 only makes it to 52. Safari 3.0.4 on Windows makes it to 39.

Closer, but still not 100%.

Take about unrealistic expectations. Nothing is at 100/100 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccamsAftershave View Post

Firefox 3 beta4 gets a 67.

Impressive considering the age of the test and that Safari as a non-Beta beats out all Betas; except WebKit, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

I wonder why Apple released 3.1 with such an old build of webkit. Current nightlies of Webkit are at 93.

Do you think it's wise for Apple to stick a two day old bowser engine in a "stable" build of Safari?

Quote:

It also no longer passes the Acid2 test, doh! When did that happen? Safari was famously the first browser to pass that test.

Quote:

Hmm? Safari 3.1 passes it, I just checked. Also I noticed Safari 3.1 to be a bit more stable.

The issue is with the #top addition which is used when you refresh. This occurred after WebKit build r13615 in 04-2006. Here is thebug listing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple's servers must be overloaded. I can't get to it in Software Update.

It's not on Software Update, you have to get old school and use Apple's DL page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post

Now Why doesn't Safari have a cleverer way of organising the history, this seems like a huge omission, and one that really should be sorted out.

Like find-as-you-type searching? I'm not sure what you mean my "cleverer".
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #75 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Double-clicking on the tab bar for a new tab has been a feature for some time now.
The only problem with that is that it only works if you already have 2 or more tabs. With no tabs, you have no tab bar to click on.

If you're a tab-loving junky, you can switch on the option to "always show the tab bar".

I do that with every Safari I use..
post #76 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

If you're a tab-loving junky, you can switch on the option to "always show the tab bar".
I do that with every Safari I use..

I started showing it a few ago after I realized that Safari 3.1 offered that feature. It's saved me some time.
post #77 of 125
Null.
post #78 of 125
When the number of tabs exceeds the horizontal display limit the remainder are represented with a chevron menu at the right end of the tab bar that replaces the double-click target for opening a new tab.

With the two main OS X Safari plugins I rely on most, PithHelmet will be automatically disabled in 3.1 but might work after modifying the Info.plist, similar to the 1Password change linked to earlier. Not sure about SafariStand. I'm holding off updating until there's some feedback and/or updates.

Safari 3 is rock solid for me on Tiger. It's only crashed once since using it after being installed with 10.4.11, and that was triggered by something in SafariStand. It's never crashed on my wife's Leopard system, though I've hardly used it there. And I can't remember a crash with any Windows version, which I've been using fairly frequently the last couple months on an older Toshiba notebook PC.

Reports of instability seem of little value without some concrete examples, and mentioning whether it's with the OS X and/or Windows version(s). And I realize my mentioning it never crashes isn't particularly helpful either.

SLewis: you omitted the Show Next/Previous Tab keyboard shortcuts.
post #79 of 125
Quote:

Closer, but still not 100%.

- Jasen.

Using latest webkit build I get 93/100

I've not noticed any bugs yet. I believe that they hit stable build milestones, package it, security test it, then roll it out. I always test webkit so often & if I find a release that is very stable I always use that instead of Safari.
post #80 of 125
I still have to use FireFox when searching for Real Estate Listings on www.themls.com (Beverly Hills/Greater Los Angeles Board of Realtors) . After the search results are counted, a "go" window is suppose to pop up. Pop-ups are not blocked. The site kinda worked prior to Safari 3. Non members use the site too. Members (maybe a thousand) are discouraged from using Macs. I keep my Windows machine handy for some functions.
Cubist
Cubist
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser