or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser

Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser - Page 3

post #81 of 125
Missing new tab button is something so stupid that makes no sense why Apple is being such stubborn!!!
post #82 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

Missing new tab button is something so stupid that makes no sense why Apple is being such stubborn!!!

I just don't get it...what is so hard about command T?
post #83 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Let's say I am eating snacks with my left hand and browsing the web pages with mouse using my bookmarks. I do this everyday when I read newspapers. I can't/don't want to use or reach keyboard. Do I have to?

I mean just put this button over there, some will use, some won't, but everybody will be happy! What is the point of 'not giving that option' to users?
post #84 of 125
Quote:

Let's say I am eating snacks with my left hand and browsing the web pages with mouse using my bookmarks. I do this everyday when I read newspapers. I can't/don't want to use or reach keyboard. Do I have to?

You can always create a new tab using the File menu.
post #85 of 125
Quote:

New tab button is not high on my list, but I understand why he would want a new tab button. If you get use to Internet Explorer 7 at work or something and click on the new tab button all the time, it would bug some people clicking on something and it's not there. I use command-1, command-2, etc. on Firefox to quickly go to a tab and it always takes me to Amazon and eBay when I use the command keys on Safari.
post #86 of 125
Quote:

Try double clicking in the tab field to create a new tab
post #87 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

It also no longer passes the Acid2 test, doh! When did that happen? Safari was famously the first browser to pass that test.

I don't normally use Safari, but downloaded 3.1 and it crashed on my first attempt to post this reply.

It passes the Acid2 for me.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #88 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Gets to 75 on the ACID3 test. Firefox 2.0 only makes it to 52. Safari 3.0.4 on Windows makes it to 39.

Closer, but still not 100%.

- Jasen.

post #89 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hmm... I think it's either 74 or 75. I ran the test several times on the same machine and could reproduce both results (don't ask me how that's possible)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
post #90 of 125
Quote:

It passes the Acid2 for me.

See later posts than the one you replied to.

e.g. this one and this one.

Also, what's the URL of the page where you are getting a "working" Acid2? I cannot load an Acid2 test page that doesn't end #top. Entering just "http://acid2.acidtests.org/" gives me a page with a link stating "take the Acid2 test", which links to "http://acid2.acidtests.org/#top", which Safari 3.1 does not render properly.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #91 of 125
That acid2 test works fine for me, on the linked one with the #top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You can always create a new tab using the File menu.

Exactly. If someone is content with the tortoiselike experience of mousing to bookmarks, I don't see what the big deal is about mousing to the menu item for new tab.
post #92 of 125
Quote:

That acid2 test works fine for me, on the linked one with the #top.

Really? What system are you running on? It doesn't render correctly for me, either on first load of the page or on re-load.
post #93 of 125
Scrollbar still doesn't work on my Thinkpad T42.
post #94 of 125
Quote:

The test was altered a day or two ago, it gave an extra point to modern browsers without a new build of the engine. Safari 3.1 wen from 74 to 75, though every browser will have an occasional miss of a test lowering the score.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #95 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

though every browser will have an occasional miss of a test lowering the score.

How so? What about the test and/or browser rendering algorithms of a particular build of a particular browser are non-deterministic?
post #96 of 125
Quote:

How so? What about the test and/or browser rendering algorithms of a particular build of a particular browser are non-deterministic?

I couldn't tell you, but the score isn't always the highest for the browser engine used.
post #97 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

According to the new features mentioned by Apple it appears you can double click in the tab area to add a new tab too... About the Safari 3.1 Update

Hot Dang! This is cool...
post #98 of 125
A click and drag of the scroll-wheel on my mouse still doesn't scroll up and down through a webpage like Firefox. Even IE has this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

Yup, i can now double click the tab bar to open a new tab! Now to play with stability.

I couldn't figure this out at first... Duh you have to click on an empty space on the tab bar, I had to search for a blank spot clear over to the right of the tab bar to make this work!

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #99 of 125
Does anyone else's copy of Safari 3.1 crash if they visit this page* and right-click in either the "user name" or "password" field?

*don't know if U.S. folk will be able to access this.
post #100 of 125
Quote:

Does anyone else's copy of Safari 3.1 crash if they visit this page* and right-click in either the "user name" or "password" field?

*don't know if U.S. folk will be able to access this.

All good for me using Leopard 10.5.2 / Safari 3.1 / Latest WebKit engine
http://nightly.webkit.org/
post #101 of 125
For what it does, Safari 3.1 definitely has Teh Snappies™ but... Slow ads and Flash still make slow websites load slowly compared to Firefox and AdBlock Plus and Flashblock. The right-mouse click or command-click to search highlighted text via the current search engine (ala Firefox) is nice, but it would be even nicer to be able to highlight text like "apple.com" and load a new tab from that context. Still, overall an improvement of previous versions of Safari. But my guess is that Firefox 3 is going to smoke Safari 3.1. The best news is the competition means everyone is getting better browsers.

Edit: OMG, I tried the "ESPN test" suggested earlier on a older WinXP machine with Safari 3.1, that frickin' website completely buried Safari -- stealing between 95%-98% of CPU time -- so much so that Safari couldn't completely repaint it's part of the screen.

post #102 of 125
i noticed debugger no longer works. anyone else notice this?
on yahoo classic mail i lost my avatar. what is webkit?
post #103 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post

what is webkit?

Short version: WebKit is the engine that makes Safari render pages.

Long version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit

If you DL and use WebKit it will still show your current Safari app in the about and have all your bookmarks, history, etc as it still need s the Safari front-end, but the engine will be WebKit and you will know the difference betwen the two by the rim colour of the Safari icon in your Dock.

PS: I stated in an earlier thread that the non-Beta Safari 3.1 outperforms all other beta release browsers in the Acid3 test. That is no longer true with the latest Presto engine in the Opera browser.
post #104 of 125
Quote:

I mean just put this button over there, some will use, some won't, but everybody will be happy! What is the point of 'not giving that option' to users?

If you look under the 'view' menu in 'Customize Toolbar' you can add a 'tab' button to your tool bar. I'm sure that option's been there for ages. Is this what you meant?
oops! Just realized I have SafariStand installed to get that option.
post #105 of 125
OK, edumacate me. If I scroll up one or two posts and highlight the word "WebKit", right mouse click or command-click the highlighted word, select "Search with Google" and it opens the Google search results in the same tab? I want it to open the search results in a new tab, as I'm probably bouncing back and forth looking for something specific and I don't want to lose easy access to the original source. What am I missing? I looked in preferences but didn't find an option along these lines.

post #106 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

OK, edumacate me. If I scroll up one or two posts and highlight the word "WebKit", right mouse click or command-click the highlighted word, select "Search with Google" and it opens the Google search results in the same tab? I want it to open the search results in a new tab, as I'm probably bouncing back and forth looking for something specific and I don't want to lose easy access to the original source. What am I missing?

You have to hold down Control when clicking on Search In Google, the same way that holding down Control when clicking on a link.
post #107 of 125
Whoever use IE for his daily usage is just plain ignorant, get FireFox if you dont like Safari, IE is a browser that should just lay dead and die.

I totally feel like an alien when I use IE, the interface is soo yuck!.

For me, the best browsers are :
Safari and Firefox (The speed is almost the same, just Safari has some stability issues, but in terms of easy to use, Safari beats FireFox. In terms of features, Firefox beats Safari cause of the add-ons)

OK browser is:
Opera (Okay browser but will take time to get used to)

Worse broswer that should just die:
The holy grail of all browsers, INTERNET EXPLORER!!!!. (have I mentioned that IE should just lay dead and die?)

Sheesh, each time you open a new tab in IE a page displayi about you open new tab is just plain stupid, Its like MSoft is telling everybody that this is a new feature in web browser history. Die IE die!!!!
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
post #108 of 125
People that use 1Password (great program btw) should know that the Safari update kills 1Password when using that browser.
1Password does have an update now however, all you do is open 1Password and it will offer to install the update.. and it works! Sweet!

S.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #109 of 125
It seems that in the new version of Safari the debug menu cannot be activated. What would be the reason?
Jan Willem.
post #110 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have to hold down Control when clicking on Search In Google, the same way that holding down Control when clicking on a link.

Thanks sol, I *knew* I was missing something...

post #111 of 125
More crashes for me and some Apple sites load painfully slow after the update. Hmm...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #112 of 125
i've had to use the "old gmail" format with safari, and it works, but with the upgrade, here goes my gmail issues. when i click shift key, it puts the text and punctuation in the subject line. i had a b..ch of a time doing my gmal last night. any one else with this problem?? i like safari for its slick work, and privacy checkoff, but come on get the thing tested with things people use...like GMAIL
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #113 of 125
After Software Update downloaded the new Safari, it began to install, then I got an error stating that the 'second part' of the installer was damaged, I then had to reboot OS X and when I got back to my desktop all my apps had corrupted!! Disk Utility was the only app I tried that worked, but iPhoto, Microsoft Office, iWork, iMovie, Safari etc were all corrupt. Disk Util couldn't fix it so here I am having to reinstall Leopard, hurrah

I knew I should have setup that recovery partition for Time Machine the other day... oh well, it'll be reet

Disaster Count
Leopard: 1
Vista: 118,744,901
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
post #114 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp View Post

It seems that in the new version of Safari the debug menu cannot be activated. What would be the reason?
Jan Willem.

It's called Develop now and is placed between Bookmarks and Window.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #115 of 125
Quote:
i've had to use the "old gmail" format with safari, and it works, but with the upgrade, here goes my gmail issues. when i click shift key, it puts the text and punctuation in the subject line. i had a b..ch of a time doing my gmal last night. any one else with this problem?? i like safari for its slick work, and privacy checkoff, but come on get the thing tested with things people use...like GMAIL

Well, my gmail works fine, somehow Gmail doesnt goes well with firefox, somehow its very jumpy on firefox
post #116 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Well, my gmail works fine, somehow Gmail doesnt goes well with firefox, somehow its very jumpy on firefox

Hmmm, I can't type text into a reply field anymore and now have to switch to FF just to reply to an email. . In the the previous version it was only the google chat widget that was not working.

I thought google and apple were getting along quite allright?!
post #117 of 125
Safari 3.1 crashes fairly consistently, and definitely more than 3.0 (which crashed *waaaaay* to often IMHO). Bummer.
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #118 of 125
3.1 has been great for me so far. Much more stable than 3.0.x
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #119 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

3.1 has been great for me so far. Much more stable than 3.0.x

No crashes yet for me either.

FF beta 3 and Safari 3.1 really fly. I can see a difference when I use Camino. In fact I find I don't like using it as much.
post #120 of 125
The differences in performance are interesting.

I have 3.1 installed on one computer and get more crashes than before, better performance with some sites and incredibly slow performance with others. My other computer feels swifter and smoother overall running the old Safari.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser