or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › John McCain fit to lead?

John McCain fit to lead?

post #1 of 212
It just seems that not much changes with this candidate. He always seems to have "his" version of reality and it always seems at odds with the real world.

I have to wonder if he is just getting old and can't think clearly or he is stubborn and not interested in the facts. Worse it could be a bit of both.

This link is a youtube video which I have posted before in another thread which shows in detail this nature of McCain. This video shows how John McCain has a different memory of events than is actually the case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrJKB...eature=related

But the content of this thread is to be based on the latest ignorance this "candidate" put on display while on his recent travels around the world.

"McCain misspeaks on Iraq insurgents - He erroneously claims Iran is training al-Qaida.

Quote:
JERUSALEM - Senator John McCain’s trip overseas was supposed to highlight his foreign policy acumen, and his supporters hoped that it would showcase him in a series of statesmanlike meetings with world leaders throughout the Middle East and Europe while the Democratic candidates continued to squabble back home.

But all did not go according to plan on Tuesday in Amman, Jordan, when Mr. McCain, fresh from a visit to Iraq, misidentified some of the main players in the Iraq war.

Mr. McCain said several times in his visit to Jordan — in a news conference and in a radio interview — that he was concerned that Iran was training Al Qaeda in Iraq. The United States believes that Iran, a Shiite country, has been training and financing Shiite extremists in Iraq, but not Al Qaeda, which is a Sunni insurgent group. Mr. McCain said at a news conference in Amman that he continued to be concerned about Iranians “taking Al Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back.” Asked about that statement, Mr. McCain said: “Well, it’s common knowledge and has been reported in the media that Al Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran. That’s well known. And it’s unfortunate.”

It was not until he got a quiet word of correction in his ear from Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, who was traveling with Mr. McCain as part of a Congressional delegation on a nearly weeklong trip, that Mr. McCain corrected himself.

“I’m sorry,” Mr. McCain said, “the Iranians are training extremists, not Al Qaeda.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23697639/

So here we have the neocon duo flying the world over trying to play "superman" and make a case for their wonderful "leadership skills."

I am not so sure I am sold,, in fact for McCain to screw up like this should bring pause to many Americans....

This guy has no business pretending to know how the world works..

God help us if he is the next President of The United States.

God help the entire world.

Your thoughts are welcome..

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 212
Yea I saw that clip. It was funny. It'll be even funnier when he's not president.
post #3 of 212
McCain was the best candidate in 2000, by a large margin over Gore and Bush, and got screwed out of the presidency by Karl Rove and his "fathered a black baby" rumor. Now he is old, starting to seem a bit senile, and selling out to the "agents of intolerance".

Screw McCain! Unless Hillary somehow does a Karl Rove and gets the democratic nod, in which case "McCain '08!"
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #4 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

It just seems that not much changes with this candidate. He always seems to have "his" version of reality and it always seems at odds with the real world.

I have to wonder if he is just getting old and can't think clearly or he is stubborn and not interested in the facts. Worse it could be a bit of both.

This link is a youtube video which I have posted before in another thread which shows in detail this nature of McCain. This video shows how John McCain has a different memory of events than is actually the case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrJKB...eature=related

But the content of this thread is to be based on the latest ignorance this "candidate" put on display while on his recent travels around the world.

"McCain misspeaks on Iraq insurgents - He erroneously claims Iran is training al-Qaida.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23697639/

So here we have the neocon duo flying the world over trying to play "superman" and make a case for their wonderful "leadership skills."

I am not so sure I am sold,, in fact for McCain to screw up like this should bring pause to many Americans....

This guy has no business pretending to know how the world works..

God help us if he is the next President of The United States.

God help the entire world.

Your thoughts are welcome..

Fellows

So basically this is a tit for tat thread. Fit to lead? Absolutely. You simply disagree with him. That has nothing to do with fitness to lead.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #5 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

So basically this is a tit for tat thread. Fit to lead? Absolutely. You simply disagree with him. That has nothing to do with fitness to lead.

You are totally wrong here. He displayed a massive ignorance about the middle east, which is the problem. It isn't his ideas that are questioned, it is the quality of his thinking and his ability to think. This is nothing to do with agree/disagree.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #6 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

You are totally wrong here. He displayed a massive ignorance about the middle east, which is the problem. It isn't his ideas that are questioned, it is the quality of his thinking and his ability to think. This is nothing to do with agree/disagree.

Thank you, I could not have said that any better.

Fellows

post #7 of 212
So John McCain misspeaks and it is proof his brain is too mushy to be president.

Meanwhile Obama is repeatedly hit on dealings with Rezko and about statements made by his pastor and each time is forced to admit more and more and he is... just perfectly fine.

Go drink some more Jesus Juice Fellowship.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #8 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

So John McCain misspeaks and it is proof his brain is too mushy to be president.

Meanwhile Obama is repeatedly hit on dealings with Rezko and about statements made by his pastor and each time is forced to admit more and more and he is... just perfectly fine.

The election's getting closer.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #9 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The election's getting closer.

It is and all the head to head polls show it very competitive. So enjoy your bumper sticker posts.

post #10 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

John McCain...is "massively ignorant" WRT the middle east? I don't think either one of you believes that, especially in comparison to Barack Obama. Remember, elections are really choices....choices between two people. Have you seen the ignorance of Barack Obama on display? I have:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Archive/2...rack_Obama.htm

Quote:
Under what circumstances, if any, is the president, when operating overseas as commander-in-chief, free to disregard international human rights treaties that the US Senate has ratified?

A: It is illegal and unwise for the President to disregard international human rights treaties that have been ratified by the United States Senate, including and especially the Geneva Conventions. The Commander-in-Chief power does not allow the President to defy those treaties.

Wrong.

Quote:
Does the president have inherent powers under the Constitution to conduct surveillance for national security purposes without judicial warrants, regardless of federal statutes?

A: The Supreme Court has never held that the president has such powers. As president, I will follow existing law, and when it comes to U.S. citizens and residents, I will only authorize surveillance for national security purposes consistent with FISA and other federal statutes.

And they haven't ruled he doesn't have the power, either.

Quote:
If Congress prohibits a specific interrogation technique, can the president instruct his subordinates to employ that technique despite the statute?
A: No. The President is not above the law, and not entitled to use techniques that Congress has specifically banned as torture. We must send a message to the world that America is a nation of laws, and a nation that stands against torture. As President I will abide by statutory prohibitions for all US Government personnel and contractors.

So he favors mandating what the military can and can't specifically do, despite the President being the Commander-in-Chief. Gotcha.

Quote:
Can the president disregard a congressional statute limiting the deployment of troops--either by capping the number of troops, or by setting minimum home-stays between deployments?

A: No, the President does not have that power. To date, several Congresses have imposed limitations on the number of US troops deployed in a given situation. As President, I will not assert a constitutional authority to deploy troops in a manner contrary to an express limit imposed by Congress and adopted into law.

Of course, Bush hasn't done that. It would also take a joint resolution for Congress to mandate withdrawal:

From the War Powers Resolution:

Quote:
Notwithstanding subsection (b), at any time that United States Armed Forces are engaged in hostilities outside the territory of the United States, its possessions and territories without a declaration of war or specific statutory authorization, such forces shall be removed by the President if the Congress so directs by concurrent resolution.

Let's move on.....

Quote:
In what circumstances would the president have constitutional authority to bomb Iran without seeking a use-of-force authorization from Congress?

A: The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent---1

History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch. It is always preferable to have the informed consent of Congress prior to any military action--2

As for the specific question about bombing suspected nuclear sites, I recently introduced S.J.Res.23, which states in part that "any offensive military action taken by the United States against Iran must be explicitly authorized by Congress."---3

Wow.

1--the President can order an attack under his Constitutional authority, consistent with the subsequent War Powers Resolution. Obama is flatly wrong.

2--That's highly dubious. Even if demonstrable, I'd like to see evidence of cause/effect. Examples, Mr. Obama?

3--As he describes it, his bill is blatantly Unconstitutional:

Quote:
Section 2 - Civilian Power over Military, Cabinet, Pardon Power, Appointments

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;

and

http://www.udel.edu/htr/Psc105/Texts/warpowers.html

Quote:
Within sixty calendar days after a report is submitted or is required to be submitted pursuant to section 4(a)(1), whichever is earlier, the President shall terminate any use of United States Armed Forces with respect to which such report was submitted (or required to be submitted), unless the Congress (1) has declared war or has enacted a specific authorization for such use of United States Armed Forces, (2) has extended by law such sixty-day period, or (3) is physically unable to meet as a result of an armed attack upon the United States. Such sixty-day period shall be extended for not more than an additional thirty days if the President determines and certifies to the Congress in writing that unavoidable military necessity respecting the safety of United States Armed Forces requires the continued use of such armed forces in the course of bringing about a prompt removal of such forces.
post #11 of 212
Quote:

John McCain...is "massively ignorant" WRT the middle east?

Yes.

Quote:
But I just noticed that this goof where McCain got confused about whether Iran was training al Qaeda operatives or not didn't just happen once. McCain apparently said the same thing several times, in a couple different venues - not just in the press conference, where Joe Lieberman of all people finally had to correct him, but earlier on the Hugh Hewitt show.
post #12 of 212
Quote:

Nick stop being deceptive here...

First off I don't think this is a matter of simply "misspeaking" I think it is clear this is more a matter of a man who in his head anyway is hell bent on preaching his version of reality upon the world. While in the process he is time after time after time being corrected by media personalities like Tim Russert or even his right hand man Joe L.

Just how much of this correction can the country afford after Bush / Cheney and their stubborn ways?

The difference here (between your comparison of McCain and Obama) is that McCain speaks for himself while digging a hole with regard to his ignorance... It is he himself who is ignorant and speaks ignorance. Obama speaks wisdom and a way forward which benefits all peoples not just one side or ideology. McCain is self-rightious, impatient, ill tempered, stubborn and often WRONG with his assessments and memory of events. Obama is the opposite in all ways.

With Obama it is his pastor who has said stupid things not Obama.

With regard to Rezko I am not aware that Obama has been implicated in any way.

So let's make sure we know the difference between a candidate who via his very own mouth digs a hole compared to the other situation where republican cheer leaders like Hannity / Trumptman / SDW paint negative projections upon Obama.

There is a very clear difference here and I think you know it.

Fellows

post #13 of 212
Quote:

First off I don't think this is a matter of simply "misspeaking" I think it is clear this is more a matter of a man who in his head anyway is hell bent on preaching his version of reality upon the world. While in the process he is time after time after time being corrected by media personalities like Tim Russert or even his right hand man Joe L.

It is "clear" to someone such as yourself who has the blinders on due to drinking the Obama Jesus Juice. Due to this wonderful concoction you can now understand everything within his mind and how he sees the world. The fact that when the word was corrected, he immediately fixed it is...well... that isn't any fun... dealing with INTENT is so much more fun. You "know" McCain is a psychopath who wants a hundred year war so clearly his "slip" reflects that.

Quote:
The difference here (between your comparison of McCain and Obama) is that McCain speaks for himself while digging a hole with regard to his ignorance... It is he himself who is ignorant and speaks ignorance. Obama speaks wisdom and a way forward which benefits all peoples not just one side or ideology. McCain is self-rightious, impatient, ill tempered, stubborn and often WRONG with his assessments and memory of events. Obama is the opposite in all ways.

Amen brother... McCain the debil and he bad. Obama the Jesus and he good. Faith shows and will reward all of this.

Quote:

Obama said some pretty stupid things as well. He said his white grandmother cringing at certain black men walking down the street, and his pastor declaring that the U.S.A. engineered the AIDS virus to wipe out an entire race of people in a genocidal manner were... pretty much the same thing.

Quote:

Why would you be aware of how much he was given, or the dealings with regard to his house or... well keep picking up the Diet Coke can and drinking the Obama Jesus Juice.

Quote:
So let's make sure we know the difference between a candidate who via his very own mouth digs a hole compared to the other situation where republican cheer leaders like Hannity / Trumptman / SDW paint negative projections upon Obama.

One candidate misspeaks about who is being trained for terror. The other candidate equates genocide with getting a creepy feeling from certain people walking down the street. Oh and btw, the people who get the creepy feeling are still wrong and must "understand" the anger behind the person claiming genocide.

I'm pretty sure I know which one is a hole, which one is negative. and which one is a situation that his cheerleaders will ignore. Go drink your Obama Jesus Juice and put the blinders back on.

post #14 of 212
The media have anointed McCain The One Never To Be Criticized. He's nice to them and throws barbecues for them, so he is the Second Coming for them and we'll never hear how he repeatedly shows that he doesn't even understand the relationship between Iran and al Qaeda and Sunni and Shia. The media want him to be president so bad it hurts.
post #15 of 212
Nah, man.

McCain just "misspoke!" on this point several times in several different venues over a period of time.

Haha whoopsie!
post #16 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Nah, man.

McCain just "misspoke!" on this point several times in several different venues over a period of time.

Haha whoopsie!

Well you can't really blame him... most of the media has been subtly pushing the "all ragheads are the same and they are all 'Al Qaeda' terrorists" line ever since 9/11, that you really can't blame the stupid people for getting confused.

Al Qaeda was probably a cell of about 10 people. The "Great Al Qaeda" as we know it was created by the warmongers via the media specifically for this purpose.
post #17 of 212
Quote:

Obama said some pretty stupid things as well. He said his white grandmother cringing at certain black men walking down the street, and his pastor declaring that the U.S.A. engineered the AIDS virus to wipe out an entire race of people in a genocidal manner were... pretty much the same thing.

Try again?

Maybe you need remedial listening skills...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #18 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well you can't really blame him... most of the media has been subtly pushing the "all ragheads are the same and they are all 'Al Qaeda' terrorists" line ever since 9/11, that you really can't blame the stupid people for getting confused.

Al Qaeda was probably a cell of about 10 people. The "Great Al Qaeda" as we know it was created by the warmongers via the media specifically for this purpose.

That plus the 247 usage of the term 'Al Qaeda' for all things Iraq by this neocon artist administration.

The ghost of haunts the White House, but this fall will haunt the entire USA in order to get elected.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #19 of 212
Nick,

I choose Obama Juice you choose Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran giggle giggle self-rightious old fart juice with a few screws loose.

I will choose my Obama Juice over your Beach Boys "Bomb Iran" song candidate any day.

Your candidate thought it was funny to joke about bombing Iran.

My candidate is very mature and adult and set a positive tone and dismissed the comments of his pastor.

BTW your replies are really getting to be very childish and just plain silly.

Fellows

post #20 of 212
Quote:

I'm just going to let that one simmer, it having reminded me of a series of ridiculous threads recently posted to PO, as well as a long-standing silence over a certain member's absurd, bumper-sticker-esque signature items.
Cat: the other white meat
post #21 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What media do you read? Hell, the Washington Times isn't even that silly. Are you reading blogs? I would venture a guess that journalists in Hong Kong must be very much unlike the US journalists.
post #22 of 212
Quote:

In just one sentence you've spun yourself into a pretzel! Wow!

Last I checked the media was all up in Obama's ass about Rezko and his pastor. And they have every right to be.

Has the media even REMOTELY held McCain to the same standard's Obama in the recent past? Shit, the last three months? Hello...is this mic on?

I don't remember McCain being FORCED into giving a speech to explain...well, anything! And there's plenty to explain.

But, oh well. Must be nice living in Trumptland.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #23 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I'm just going to let that one simmer.

So Splinemodel how do you feel about John McCain not having a grasp of the dynamics of the ME?

Does it not troulble you in the least that Mr. McCain who is touted for his "experience" coming across for the entire world to see as missing the "beef" or even worse making up his own tofu?

Not one bit concerned by this???

Fellows

post #24 of 212
Something's happened to McCain since 2000. I'm not sure what it is exactly. I think his cancer may have had some impact on him personally and physically. Maybe it's his medication. He's NOT the same person. There's a shadow of him around. The old McCain is long gone.

But something's definitely wrong. The video I saw of him yesterday bumbling through a press conference and having Lieberman gently correct him was jaw dropping, IMO.

I remember in 2000 when I first heard George Bush speak to the press. He was addressing his drunk driving record. And my first thought was, "Oh no no no no...you've got to be kidding? This guy isn't for real, is he? Certainly everyone else will see what I'm seeing?" Boy was a wrong. Big Time.

And yesterday I had the same feeling about McCain. So if my personal gut feeling is the barometer of the nation...

WE'RE FUCKED!
post #25 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Something's happened to McCain since 2000. I'm not sure what it is exactly.

More "misspeaking."

post #26 of 212
Quote:

Something's happened to McCain since 2000. I'm not sure what it is exactly. I think his cancer may have had some impact on him personally and physically. Maybe it's his medication. He's NOT the same person. There's a shadow of him around. The old McCain is long gone.

But something's definitely wrong. The video I saw of him yesterday bumbling through a press conference and having Lieberman gently correct him was jaw dropping, IMO.

I remember in 2000 when I first heard George Bush speak to the press. He was addressing his drunk driving record. And my first thought was, "Oh no no no no...you've got to be kidding? This guy isn't for real, is he? Certainly everyone else will see what I'm seeing?" Boy was a wrong. Big Time™.

And yesterday I had the same feeling about McCain. So if my personal gut feeling is the barometer of the nation...

WE'RE FUCKED!

Here is the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6GBdyws5YU

"Experienced" Yeah whatever...

Is it just me or is it almost like he is a puppet and he is trying to stay on a "talking point" script but he is failing at staying on the "Correct" message????

Fellows

post #27 of 212
I'd just like to say that I don't give a shit if McCain fumbled and misspoke.

I don't give a shit what Obama's minister said.

I don't give a shit how old McCain is.

I don't give a shit how young Obama is.

I don't give a shit how experienced McCain is.

I don't give a shit how experienced Obama is.

I just care about their platforms and their positions on, you know, issues and shit.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #28 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I'd just like to say that I don't give a shit if McCain fumbled and misspoke.

I don't give a shit what Obama's minister said.

I don't give a shit how old McCain is.

I don't give a shit how young Obama is.

I don't give a shit how experienced McCain is.

I don't give a shit how experienced Obama is.

I just care about their platforms and their positions on, you know, issues and shit.

I agree, but the problem is that McCain didn't seem to misspeak on this occasion. He seems to have genuinely believed that Iran was in league with al Qaeda. That just suggests a fundamental lack of understanding of the Iraq war, and for someone in such strong support of the Iraq war, that's a problem.
post #29 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

The media have anointed McCain The One Never To Be Criticized. He's nice to them and throws barbecues for them, so he is the Second Coming for them and we'll never hear how he repeatedly shows that he doesn't even understand the relationship between Iran and al Qaeda and Sunni and Shia. The media want him to be president so bad it hurts.

I can totally understand where you are coming from BRussell. Why just the other day I was speaking to my wife and I said,"You know dear, I really hope when I vote for a war monger to be president of the United States, I at least get a good steak and beer out of it before he kills of my offspring."

Quote:

Nah, man.

Haha whoopsie!

Link? Even then getting a name wrong doesn't mean you have a complete lack of understanding.

Quote:

Nick,

I choose Obama Juice you choose Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran giggle giggle self-rightious old fart juice with a few screws loose.

I will choose my Obama Juice over your Beach Boys "Bomb Iran" song candidate any day.

Your candidate thought it was funny to joke about bombing Iran.

My candidate is very mature and adult and set a positive tone and dismissed the comments of his pastor.

Fellows

Your reply amounts to stating that you don't like McCain's sense of humor and then you declare that your replies are... serious.

Every candidate has moments of silliness. Should I hate Obama because he has gone on the Ellen show multiple times and danced the night away with her and her audience.

Oh... I forgot... this is serious business... Clearly Obama dancing means that he will be getting down in the night club instead of solving the problems of the U.S. and world...

ehem....or perhaps silliness is silliness.

Quote:

In just one sentence you've spun yourself into a pretzel! Wow!

Last I checked the media was all up in Obama's ass about Rezko and his pastor. And they have every right to be.

Has the media even REMOTELY held McCain to the same standard's Obama in the recent past? Shit, the last three months? Hello...is this mic on?

I don't remember McCain being FORCED into giving a speech to explain...well, anything! And there's plenty to explain.

But, oh well. Must be nice living in Trumptland.

Trumptland rules dude. We have Ice Cream Sundaes on Tuesdays!

McCain has already run several campaigns before so I doubt there is much new to dig up on him. That didn't stop the Times from claiming a non-existant inappropriate relationship so they could conveniently recount the Keating Five bit.

Or did the Times only do that in Trumptland because if they did... no sundaes for them on Tuesday man. They are waiting until the weekend for sure.

But again... how many speaking gaffes by the candidates on the left even make the news?

post #30 of 212
Linked above about those repeated "gaffes" and "misspeaking(s)."
post #31 of 212
Quote:

I can totally understand where you are coming from BRussell. Why just the other day I was speaking to my wife and I said,"You know dear, I really hope when I vote for a war monger to be president of the United States, I at least get a good steak and beer out of it before he kills of my offspring."

I would imagine the conversation would be a little more like "You know dear, I don't really give a shit if the guy I vote for for President starts a bunch of wars, since I won't be the one getting my legs blown off, and it will be entirely worth it just to stick it to those fucking liberals. Pass the meatloaf, please."

Quote:
Link? Even then getting a name wrong doesn't mean you have a complete lack of understanding.

That's...... pathetic.

Quote:
Your reply amounts to stating that you don't like McCain's sense of humor and then you declare that your replies are... serious.

Every candidate has moments of silliness. Should I hate Obama because he has gone on the Ellen show multiple times and danced the night away with her and her audience.

Oh... I forgot... this is serious business... Clearly Obama dancing means that he will be getting down in the night club instead of solving the problems of the U.S. and world...

ehem....or perhaps silliness is silliness.

Or perhaps "getting down" is utterly different from singing a little ditty about bombing Iran? Really, are you serious with this line of reasoning?

Quote:
Trumptland rules dude. We have Ice Cream Sundaes on Tuesdays!

McCain has already run several campaigns before so I doubt there is much new to dig up on him. That didn't stop the Times from claiming a non-existant inappropriate relationship so they could conveniently recount the Keating Five bit.

Yeah. That whole "Keating Five bit" is just stupid old news. And of course, that Times article had nothing to say about McCain's relationship to lobbyists beyond that "nonexistant" relationship. The campaign manager that runs his business out of the "Straight Talk Express"? Doesn't exist.

Remember all the press indignation (including yours) that John Edwards' haircuts and big houses engendered? He's for the poor yet he has money! Hypocrite! How about Al Gore and his lifestyle? Hahahaha what a dick, he claims to be for something that his actions don't totally support!

But McCain thunders against the perniciousness of lobbying influence on governance, staffs his campaign to the gills with lobbyists, and your perfectly fine with that. Go figure, with you being such a consistent, principled figure and all.

Fortunately, the liberal press has made a huge firestorm over this obvious...... oh, wait. Damn liberal media.

Quote:
Or did the Times only do that in Trumptland because if they did... no sundaes for them on Tuesday man. They are waiting until the weekend for sure.

But again... how many speaking gaffes by the candidates on the left even make the news?

The cool thing is, when the press does make a huge deal over "gaffes" on the left, you get to yell "OMFG they totally meant to say that, that's no gaffe, that's a policy statement!!!!!"

So, in Trumptland, yes, your always right.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #32 of 212
Quote:

Yes.

That is utterly pathetic. The man was using the term AQ interchangeably with extremists/terrorists. He later corrected himself. "Massively ignorant." Please.
post #33 of 212
post #34 of 212
Quote:

Or, perhaps he used the term AQ a few times when what he meant was extremist. The name is in fact the only difference. What Iran may be doing with those individuals (training) is the same.

Quote:

Just how much of this correction can the country afford after Bush / Cheney and their stubborn ways?

Rhetorical nonsense.

Quote:

The difference here (between your comparison of McCain and Obama) is that McCain speaks for himself while digging a hole with regard to his ignorance... It is he himself who is ignorant and speaks ignorance. Obama speaks wisdom and a way forward which benefits all peoples not just one side or ideology.

Good lord! What "wisdom" would that be...pulling out of Iraq because he doesn't think the war should have been fought? How is that "forward looking?" Or maybe you mean "meeting with crazy leaders who hate us," just so we can look kindler, gentler...and weaker?

Quote:

McCain is self-rightious, impatient, ill tempered, stubborn and often WRONG with his assessments and memory of events. Obama is the opposite in all ways.

Obama is unbelievably self-righteous. He is impatient, particularly with progress in Iraq. He got angry when reporters asked him more than eight questions the other day. He is utterly, stupendously WRONG, NAIVE and...WRONG with his view of countries like Iran, North Korea, et al. He thinks we should pull troops out of Iraq ASAP, then bomb Pakistan, go back into Iraq and let Iran develop a nuclear weapon. Apparently Obama has no memory nor understanding of anything in modern history.

Quote:

So? Don't you every judge people by the company they keep?

Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:

Fellows

Nice try, fellows. This time it's not the "right wing cheer leaders [sic]." It's the Democratic Party.
post #35 of 212
Quote:

Even then getting a timeline wrong doesn't mean you have a complete lack of understanding.

John McCain: Iraq Timeline

August 31, 2003 - November - December 2003

Quote:
\t"We do not have time to spare. If we do not meaningfully improve security and services in Iraq over the next few months, it may be too late. We will risk an irreversible loss of Iraqi confidence and reinforce the efforts of extremists who seek our defeat and threaten Iraq's democratic future."

September 10, 2003 - December 10, 2003 - March 10, 2004

Quote:
\t"The next three-to-six months will be critical."

December 4, 2005 - June 4, 2006 - December 4, 2006

Quote:
"we will probably see significant progress in the next six months to a year"

November 1, 2006 - c. February 2007

Quote:
\t"We're either going to lose this thing or win this thing in the next several months."

John McCain - Charlie Rose Show - November 2007

Quote:
ROSE: Do you think that this Korea, South Korea is an analogy of where Iraq might be, not in terms of their economic success but in terms of an American presence over the next, say, 20, 25 years, that we will have a significant amount of troops there?

MCCAIN: I dont think so.

ROSE: Even if there are no casualties?

MCCAIN: No. But I can see an American presence for a while. But eventually I think because of the nature of the society in Iraq and the religious aspects of it that America eventually withdraws.

John McCain - Derry, New Hampshire - January 2008

Quote:
Q: President Bush has talked about our staying in Iraq for 50 years (cut off by McCain)

McCAIN: Make it a hundred.

Q: Is that (cut off)

McCAIN: Weve been in South Korea weve been in Japan for 60 years. Weve been in South Korea 50 years or so. That would be fine with me. As long as Americans

Q: [tries to say something]

McCAIN: As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed. Thats fine with me, I hope that would be fine with you, if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where Al Queada is training and equipping and recruiting and motivating people every single day.

John McCain vs. John McCain
post #36 of 212
Quote:

That is utterly pathetic. The man was using the term AQ interchangeably with extremists/terrorists. He later corrected himself. "Massively ignorant." Please.

So.... your saying it's a distinction with no difference, so no harm no foul.

Whereas I, nattering nabob of negativism that I am, would sort of prefer that the Commander-in-Chief have a basic grasp of the players in the region we have troops in, for instance distinguishing between the people who attacked us on 9/11 and presumably intend to again and those that, you know, didn't and don't.

But who cares, right? The liberal media has taught us that Obama's Secret Black Rage is a much more interesting topic than who's shooting at us. Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran, I guess, and how nuanced do you have to be to get that done? "Boom" is the straightest talk of all.
post #37 of 212
McCain errs in confusing two groups

Quote:
Standing with fellow Sens. Joseph Lieberman (I., Conn.) and Lindsey Graham (R., S.C.) at the Citadel, a set of ancient ruins in Amman, McCain said he was concerned about Iran's influence in Iraq and cited a recently discovered cache of weapons that he said could be particularly lethal in being used to target Americans in the country.

"We continue to be concerned about Iranian [operatives] taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back," he said in comments after meeting with Jordan's King Abdullah II.

Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran . . . and it's unfortunate."

A few moments later, Lieberman whispered in his ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

The United States has long asserted that elements of Iran's security forces have been training and supplying weapons to Iraq's Shiite militias. Iran is an overwhelmingly Shiite country whose government has applauded the emergence of a Shiite-led government in Iraq but has denied supporting Shiite militias.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq is a predominantly Sunni group blamed for deadly mass killings of Shiites and attacks on U.S. forces. Some Sunni extremists consider Shiites to be heretics and therefore legitimate targets of attack. The schism between Islam's Sunni and Shiite sects grew out of a dispute over the leadership of the faithful after the death of the prophet Muhammad in 632.

Democrats pointed out that McCain made the same assertion in a radio interview Monday with talk-show host Hugh Hewitt, saying: "There are al-Qaeda operatives that are taken back into Iran, given training as leaders, and they're moving back into Iraq."

In a statement, Democratic Party spokeswoman Karen Finney seized on the mistakes. Not only is McCain "wrong on Iraq once again," she said, "but he showed he either doesn't understand the challenges facing Iraq and the region or is willing to ignore the facts on the ground."
post #38 of 212
One thing I've learned...don't stand next to goal posts. The collateral damage they leave behind moving around so fast it can be dangerous to your health.
post #39 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So.... your saying it's a distinction with no difference, so no harm no foul.

Whereas I, nattering nabob of negativism that I am, would sort of prefer that the Commander-in-Chief have a basic grasp of the players in the region we have troops in, for instance distinguishing between the people who attacked us on 9/11 and presumably intend to again and those that, you know, didn't and don't.

But who cares, right? The liberal media has taught us that Obama's Secret Black Rage is a much more interesting topic than who's shooting at us. Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran, I guess, and how nuanced do you have to be to get that done? "Boom" is the straightest talk of all.

Well of course they want to talk about Obama's Secret Black Rage (I trademarked that for you), that way we're not talking about McW®.
post #40 of 212
Quote:

So Splinemodel how do you feel about John McCain not having a grasp of the dynamics of the ME?

Does it not troulble you in the least that Mr. McCain who is touted for his "experience" coming across for the entire world to see as missing the "beef" or even worse making up his own tofu?

Not one bit concerned by this???

Nope. The Iraq policy may be a fun topic of debate during these election months, but the actual policy set forth by McCain, Clinton, or Obama, pending election, is hardly likely to differ from the current policy. There's too much already in motion.

Also, I don't really like McCain, and to be honest the middle east is not a big concern to me, at least in a conventional sense. I'm more interested in financial, fiscal, and scientific matters. I could never vote for Obama because he is too interested in providing handouts to the undeserving, which incidentally I classify as the degenerate class. There are people born into lower classes that take handouts and make something of them, which is good. The degenerate class sustains itself on handouts.

As you might imagine, my favored policy on the middle east is similar: ruin these nations financially and then let the private sector go in with investors to fund the top people, who against all odds have found ways to make it happen. Let them worry about their cultural problems. But there's no major candidate with the guts to espouse this kind of plan, despite its utter simplicity and historically proven track record.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › John McCain fit to lead?