or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Update enables Time Machine backups to AirPort Extreme USB drives

Update enables Time Machine backups to AirPort Extreme USB drives - Page 2

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Would you please explain how you could actually believe what you say and still remain an Apple customer? I would really like to know because if I really believed Apple did stuff like you and others theorize there's no way I could remain a customer. My personal ethics would get in the way. Yet you and others like you are constantly espousing nasty conspiracy theories about Apple's motivations and supposed evil deeds. But you're still here and still posting. Why is that?\

Umm, you obviously didn't stand in line too long to buy a $600 iPhone on Day 1, did you?

And who said anything about conspiracy theories and evil doing? Business decisions are made every day around the world on what the window of opportunity is on a product release. Grow up, read a book or two, attend a few shareholder meetings of big companies, look at the business section of a newspaper once in a while. If you think Cupertino is the land of milk, honey, and charity towards all, you're missing a very large part of Apple's history.

Look, it's just a product. Something to sell people. That's what Apple does. They're not saving the universe by suddenly letting you copy files to a USB disk. I'm a very huge Apple fan (and stockholder), but after 25 years of Apple product use and purchases, I guess I'm a bit more skeptical than you. That doesn't make me a conspiracy theorist.

And if your ethics actually have that much impact on what you purchase and from whom, you must walk everywhere you go, cause there's no way you're buying gasoline.
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I'm a little spooked on how time machine is handling the backup on the time capsule or air disk backups. Don't get me wrong ... I'm happy this all works ... and it does work on my system. But I don't like the single sparse bundle file. What if that one file goes bad and becomes unmountable as has been reported. That means all my backup files (in excess of a million) would go bad.

Is it really a file, or does it just look like a file? Can't you do a "view package contents"?
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

Do we know if Time Machine will back up to an HDD connected to Airport Express?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacnud View Post

No I don't think so, the express usb port can only be used for printers.

Right--see this chart:
http://www.apple.com/wifi/

HD use needs an Extreme or TC, not an Express.
post #44 of 65
Quote:

I'm a little spooked on how time machine is handling the backup on the time capsule or air disk backups. Don't get me wrong ... I'm happy this all works ... and it does work on my system. But I don't like the single sparse bundle file. What if that one file goes bad and becomes unmountable as has been reported. That means all my backup files (in excess of a million) would go bad.

I think I will stay tethered to my usb or firewire cable when using time machine until I hear I hear specific comments on this being supported and safe from Apple.

On a related issue ... I am trying to clone a TM drive right now ... CCC latest version crashes every time after about 5 minutes. This is version 3.1-1b running on an 8 Core Mac Pro with all updates. Currently the latest Super Duper 2.5v84 is still going strong but no idea if it will work when complete. Has anyone else managed a successful and useable clone of a TM drive?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #45 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Would you please explain how you could actually believe what you say and still remain an Apple customer? I would really like to know because if I really believed Apple did stuff like you and others theorize there's no way I could remain a customer. My personal ethics would get in the way. Yet you and others like you are constantly espousing nasty conspiracy theories about Apple's motivations and supposed evil deeds. But you're still here and still posting. Why is that?\

You took the words right out of my mouth. First they spew the conspiracy when Apple hasn't fullfilled their timeframe, then they spew again even after Apple DOES give them what they want. They aren't much better then the Mac bashers.

Thank you Apple! I bought my ABSE "n" last fall with my AppleTV, and just 2 weeks ago upgraded both my Macs to Leopard. Now I get to go home and try Time Machine with my OWC external drive. I'll use the ABSE/OWC setup for our MacBook. Our G4 has four 400 GB (two raid 800 GB) drives in it so they serve each other with Time Machine. The G4 is being setup as a media server hooked directly into the ABSE. Once I get my new MacBook Pro, the G4 will be setup to be an always on server with no monitor.
Has anyone got some good instructions for setting my G4 up to be an always on media server without monitor. I was wondering if it could be automatically maintained using another Mac with Leopards screenshare feature, thus no monitor needed.
post #46 of 65
Quote:

I think I will stay tethered to my usb or firewire cable when using time machine until I hear I hear specific comments on this being supported and safe from Apple.

See message 35 above, something does not smell well here. Glad it is not just me questioning this.
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

What about those of us with an Extreme and a Firewire backup drive? There are no Firewire ports on the Extreme.

I wonder if a combo FW/USB2 hub would work in your situation? The powered type. I have one plugged into my Mac's USB port and it has 4 USB and 3 FW ports. There may be ones with less for little money. Mine is Trendnet TFU-430 from Amazon.
post #48 of 65
I have a buffalo linkstation connected to my network. Is there any way I can leverage that drive for my time machine backups? If I plug the Ethernet jack into my AE, will that work?
post #49 of 65
It's about time, now I'll pick one up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is it really a file, or does it just look like a file? Can't you do a "view package contents"?

It is a file very similar to a disk image you can create with Disk Utility. It is similar to a package, but if sometimes these disk images to bad .... and if they do you can no longer mount them. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I will not trust my 1,000,000 plus files to one disk image. The wire method creates a folder structure you can view in your finder. the wireless method creates a one file disk image.

I will not risk this because I have had disk images go bad on me and lost the contents within.
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

See message 35 above, something does not smell well here. Glad it is not just me questioning this.

Yes people will do this on their own peril until apple releases something in my opinion.
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

I wonder if a combo FW/USB2 hub would work in your situation? The powered type. I have one plugged into my Mac's USB port and it has 4 USB and 3 FW ports. There may be ones with less for little money. Mine is Trendnet TFU-430 from Amazon.

I have that exact setup and it is working for me. I have a Newer Technology USB/Firewire enclosure attached to my Extreme BS and the drive is showing up in Time Machine. Attaching a Firewire drive to it does NOT work though.

Interestingly, my HP printer with media bays DOES show up in the Airport Utility, but I can't get it to either show or mount any media inserted into it.

For me, this update is wonderful. Time to go grab a TB drive to put into my enclosure.
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

What about those of us with an Extreme and a Firewire backup drive? There are no Firewire ports on the Extreme and trying to network my PowerBook with my desktop, to which the external drive is attached, does not work as it did with Tiger - still.

I would like to be able to do automatic Time Machine backups to my external drive wirelessly, rather than having to switch around the cables between my desktop and laptop (which I have been doing).

What is the make of you drive are you using? All my FireWire drives have USB ports.
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

On a related issue ... I am trying to clone a TM drive right now ... CCC latest version crashes every time after about 5 minutes. This is version 3.1-1b running on an 8 Core Mac Pro with all updates. Currently the latest Super Duper 2.5v84 is still going strong but no idea if it will work when complete. Has anyone else managed a successful and useable clone of a TM drive?

Yep - SD! 2.5 does a fine job cloning TM volumes.
Regards
Regards
post #55 of 65
Quote:

I probably feel the same way. I wish you could have TM backup to multiple locations without having to reconfigure to switch locations. I have a portable USB2 drive that I have been using for TM backups until now. It just isn't convenient to hook it up daily as my MBP moves between work and home everyday. I have been hooking it up every 3-7 days to let it do a backup and then leave it connected as long as the computer is on.

With TM now supported on AEBS, I can let it do the regular hourly backup to my larger USB drive that is already connected to the AEBS and can just continue to plug in the portable USB every few days when I am at work. One extra step of having to switch the back up drive at the point, but I get the piece of mind now of a continual, hourly back up to the Airport drive and the safety of the less chance of file corruption on the wired drive. If Apple added to TM the ability to have multiple drives used concurrently, as available, then I would truly be all set. But I am very happy that Apple finally corrected this problem.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

After your initial backup is done, the incremental backups over wireless should be fine.

Not so fast partner. Network backup file structure is different. Time Machine will start over again with a full backup if you switch from a wired backup to a wireless backup.

I've seen a couple convoluted solutions but it seems to me the best one is to just bite the bullet and take the time to do a full initial wireless backup. BTW, that networked sparsebundle will co-exist on the same drive with the hardwired backup folder so you can keep it for archive if desired. Otherwise, just start anew.
post #57 of 65
Quote:

... the wireless method creates a one file disk image.

Agree it's a bit riskier but Apple uses spare images with FileVault so they are clearly comfortable with its reliability.
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxs6408 View Post

Yep - SD! 2.5 does a fine job cloning TM volumes.

Or you can use Apple's own Disk Utility (Restore Tab) to clone it although it's slower than SD 2.5.
post #59 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What is the make of you drive are you using? All my FireWire drives have USB ports.

It is a OWC Mercury Elite. It has 2 Firewire 400 ports and 1 800. No USB. I have had it for about 2-3 years.

I get an "error -32" message when trying to connect to my desktop from my PowerBook. I can see my Cube on my PowerBook as a shared volume but it times out with that error.
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Agree it's a bit riskier but Apple uses spare images with FileVault so they are clearly comfortable with its reliability.

I've had 2 go bad on me. Just won't mount anymore.
post #61 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Not so fast partner. Network backup file structure is different. Time Machine will start over again with a full backup if you switch from a wired backup to a wireless backup.

I've seen a couple convoluted solutions but it seems to me the best one is to just bite the bullet and take the time to do a full initial wireless backup. BTW, that networked sparsebundle will co-exist on the same drive with the hardwired backup folder so you can keep it for archive if desired. Otherwise, just start anew.

I had the opposite experience.

I was backing up on a LaCie drive via firewire. This afternoon I plugged it into the USB port of my AEBS and set up Time machine, and it didn't do a full initial backup -- only an incremental backup that took just a couple of minutes. Looking at it in the Finder, there is only one .sparsebundle file, not two.
post #62 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

I was backing up on a LaCie drive via firewire. This afternoon I plugged it into the USB port of my AEBS and set up Time machine, and it didn't do a full initial backup -- only an incremental backup that took just a couple of minutes. Looking at it in the Finder, there is only one .sparsebundle file, not two.

No way - you have to be mistaken. Direct attached HDDs and networked HDDs (TC. TC's USB2 or other) have two different TM backup structures. The TC (network via wire or WiFi) has a sparse bundle disk image and the direct attached HDD has a Finder structure.

Please check your info and post back. Thanks...
Regards
Regards
post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

It looked like mine did that initially as well. It created a new disk image which was only 157MB. It claimed that it was finishing the back up, then it suddenly need 120gb to back up the rest of the drive. Of course that drive is filled wtih 300+gb of previous time machine data that is basically useless to me wirelessly.

Can anyone explain why the two methods are different? And can we restore a drive from the sparseimage?
-Toyin
-Toyin
post #64 of 65
Interestingly enough, I hooked my Back up drive by USB and it tried to back up to the sparseimage! This may mean that you can start the back up wireless and then use wireless or USB for back ups. Can anyone confirm this? This could be the best of both worlds, but it still depends on having all your files in that one disk image.

Good news was that after I deleted the sparseimage, it recognized the previous file structure and did an incremental back up.
-Toyin
-Toyin
post #65 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmalik View Post

Do you think a USB disk attached to a non-802.11n AEBS (I have the 802.11g version) will work with time machine? Or, do I need to buy a newer version of AEBS.

The 802.11g Airport Extreme base station ("flying saucer") only supports a printer connected to its USB port, not a hard drive. You must have an 802.11n Airport Extreme ("slab") or Time Capsule if you want to connect a hard drive to the base station.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Update enables Time Machine backups to AirPort Extreme USB drives