or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: NYC iPhone sellout; new Jersey store; 2008 PC shipments
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: NYC iPhone sellout; new Jersey store; 2008 PC shipments

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
In Manhattan and searching for an iPhone? You'll reportedly have no luck finding one today. Meanwhile, Apple is just about ready to cut the ribbon on its Cherry Hill retail store; Gartner releases its 2008 PC forecast; Intel debuts low-power Xeons; and new versions of iPod Reset Utility and Apple's PluginManager for pro apps are available.

Manhattan iPhone sellout

Apple's Manhattan-based retail stores and others are having trouble maintaining stock of iPhones.

The Huffingtonpost is reporting that not a single iPhone -- either 8GB or 16GB -- was available for purchase on Tuesday from any of the company's three flagship retail stores on the island.

"Apple Store employees at all three New York locations -- the original SoHo store, the 59th Street location, and the most recent addition, on West 14th Street -- have confirmed that each store is sold out of iPhones, and they don't know when they'll be getting new ones," the paper said.

AT&T retail stores in Manhattan aren't yet feeling the affects of the shortage, though Apple's online store is also reflecting an approximate 1 week delay for all new orders, suggesting that considerable backlog currently exists for whatever reason.

Cherry Hill store grand opening

Meanwhile, this weekend will see New Jersey gain its 10th Apple retail store when the Apple Store Cherry Hill opens to the public on Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 10:00 a.m. EDT.

Located at the Cherry Hill Mall, the shop is just a short drive from the Apple Store Sagemore in Marlton, New Jersey on Route 73 South.

2008 PC forecast

Gartner said Tuesday that worldwide PC shipments are forecast to total 293 million units in 2008, up 10.9 percent from 2007 shipments of 264 million units. However, analysts warned that growth could fall into single digits if global economic headwinds strengthen.

"In many respects, the PC market is fundamentally in good shape. Mobile PCs continue to exhibit strong momentum, emerging-market growth remains robust, and desk-based PC replacement activity is stirring," said George Shiffler, research director at Gartner. "However, a deepening U.S. recession, the rising possibility of a sharp slowdown in China's economy following the Beijing Olympics, and the elevated price of oil mean global PC shipments face increasing economic headwinds."

Worldwide demand for mobile PCs remains one of the key drivers of strong PC market growth, according to Gartner, which added that technology and design improvements have not only lowered the price of mobile PCs but also significantly improved their value proposition relative to desk-based PCs.

The relative value of mobile PCs has also been bolstered by the continued expansion of mobile access, which continues to stimulate strong demand for mobile PCs across both mature and emerging markets. Gartner analysts said mobile PC shipments will gain additional momentum as so-called "affordable" mobile PCs, which address price points once thought impossible for mobile PCs, become more widely available.
Â*
45nmm Xeons in low-power configs

Intel today used little fanfare to introduce new Xeon 5000-series quad-core processors that promise lower power without the accompanying drop in performance.

The 2.33GHz L5410 and 2.5GHz L5420 are built on the smaller 45 nanometer Penryn architecture that underpins most of Intel's lineup but are tuned to consume much less power than standard Xeons.

At their thermal design limits, both of the new Xeons consume no more than 50 watts, according to the chipmaker. This advancement allows for smaller, more efficient workstations and servers that can still handle heavy-duty tasks.

iPod Reset Utility 1.0.3

Apple on Monday evening released iPod Reset Utility 1.0.3 for both Mac and Windows PCs.

First- and second-generation iPod shuffle owners can use iPod Reset Utility to restore the players back to their factory settings.

PluginManager 1.7.3

On Tuesday evening, Apple released PluginManager 1.7.3 (864KB).

The update is said to improve the reliability of most Apple professional apps, including Aperture, Logic, Final Cut Express, Final Cut Studio, and "related SDKs."

Upgrading requires at least Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.9 or Mac OS X Leopard.
post #2 of 48
Could This Mean The Imminent Arrival Of 3g, 2nd Generation Iphone??!!
post #3 of 48
Does this suggest that iPhoneNext comes out soon?

...we're on the same page, freethinker...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Does this suggest that iPhoneNext comes out soon?

Maybe, but....
haven't there been a couple of news items about how Apple has ramped down their
rate of production of iPhones lately? It could be they overestimated the slowdown
in demand.
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Does this suggest that iPhoneNext comes out soon?

...we're on the same page, freethinker...

Well, the quarter is ending and we all remember the "missing iPhone" saga partly attributed to the full house of inventory at the end of last quarter, but intentionally allowing inventory fall so low is a bit uncharacteristic... It would be a surprise to see a second-gen iPhone in April. Thinking more like June again.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Maybe, but....
haven't there been a couple of news items about how Apple has ramped down their
rate of production of iPhones lately? It could be they overestimated the slowdown
in demand.

Perhaps, but why would New York City run out before anywhere else?
post #7 of 48
I really am not interested in the information any Gossip Rag has on Apple, especially when they aren't even Technical Gossip like The Register.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydewnd2 View Post

Perhaps, but why would New York City run out before anywhere else?

Because that's where all the Europeans come to buy them and unlock them.
post #9 of 48
I am intrigued by those low-power Xeons. If they could get them running a little faster--like 2.8 or 3.0 GHz, I'd be all over them. I love my 1st generation Mac Pro (3 GHz), but it heats up my office considerably (not to mention the two big cinema displays) and sometimes I'd be happy trading a little speed for a cooler computer.
post #10 of 48
This is my thinking at the moment, Apple is getting ready for a price drop. They may do this by reconfiguring the current iPhone.

Not that I'm sure what they would reconfigure but they will need a low end model to go along with iPhone 2. One approach would be higher integration of the electronics to lower cost.

Dave
post #11 of 48
Damn that would be great if the 3G iPhone were imminent. I just bought an 8gb a week ago and still have time to take it back.
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Because that's where all the Europeans come to buy them and unlock them.

Oh yeah I forgot they plan their entire vacations around the iPhone: They spend $900 on flights just to buy an $400 phone. You still believe that old wives' tale?
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Manhattan iPhone sellout

Apple's Manhattan-based retail stores and others are having trouble maintaining stock of iPhones.

The Huffingtonpost is reporting that not a single iPhone -- either 8GB or 16GB -- was available for purchase on Tuesday from any of the company's three flagship retail stores on the island.

16GB iPhone???

We have some product line confusion here. What exactly is sold out - all iPod Touches and iPhones?
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Damn that would be great if the 3G iPhone were imminent. I just bought an 8gb a week ago and still have time to take it back.

All i ask is that the 3g Iphone not be $599!!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Because that's where all the Europeans come to buy them and unlock them.

Not to mention Chinese.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #16 of 48
I think it's a virtual certainty that iPhone version 2 will debut at WWDC 2008. The SDK/Enterprise software update will become available and it is 2.0, the iPhone debuted in June of last year and Apple tends to update on a yearly basis, and with 3G and a better camera they will be able to make it available in Asia. I just can't see Apple missing an opportunity like they'll have with the Summer Olympics in Beijing this year. Debut the new iPhone and advertise it like crazy at the Olympics.

Since Apple will have to file with the FCC before releasing iPhone 2, there will be a window where sales will slow down significantly. I think the price drop will happen then. We'll know soon enough.
post #17 of 48
Why can't somebody just go to an AT&T store and get one. We have one for practically every mile in Manhattan!
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not to mention Chinese.

Don't they get theirs in Hong Kong?
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

Since Apple will have to file with the FCC before releasing iPhone 2, there will be a window where sales will slow down significantly. I think the price drop will happen then. We'll know soon enough.

That applies only to USofA sales. Apple could release a 3G iPhone for sale in Europe the same day they file with the FCC (Nokia does this all the time). Don't know about approval in Japan and Singapore, but it's currently Europe where sales are "disappointing."
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

16GB iPhone???

We have some product line confusion here. What exactly is sold out - all iPod Touches and iPhones?

What am I missing? Apple sells 8GB & 16GB iPhone as of, what, February?
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Well, the quarter is ending and we all remember the "missing iPhone" saga partly attributed to the full house of inventory at the end of last quarter, but intentionally allowing inventory fall so low is a bit uncharacteristic... It would be a surprise to see a second-gen iPhone in April. Thinking more like June again.

K

I am betting June as well. After all, they need to give the early adopters at least a year before expecting them to plonk down another $500-$600?
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

What am I missing? Apple sells 8GB & 16GB iPhone as of, what, February?

D'oh! Of course you are right .... I've been holding my breath for so long waiting for my 3G that I've lost some grey matter ... my bad.
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cherry Hill store grand opening

Meanwhile, this weekend will see New Jersey gain its 10th Apple retail store when the Apple Store Cherry Hill opens to the public on Saturday, March 29, 2008 at 10:00 a.m. EDT.

Located at the Cherry Hill Mall, the shop is just a short drive from the Apple Store Sagemore in Marlton, New Jersey on Route 73 South.


It is very nice that the Cherry Hill store is opening (located in suburban Philadelphia) but what I cannot figure out is why Apple has not opened a store in the city of Philadelphia itself. This is a city of 1.5 million with very high end shopping on Walnut street, but no Apple store! Very strange.
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydewnd2 View Post

Perhaps, but why would New York City run out before anywhere else?

Transatlantic flights full of Europeans for whom a few iPhones purchased in NYC more than pays for the fare + incidentals + hotel would explain it (and that is only at the MSRP in the EU, not to mention the prices fetched in the parallel market).
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not to mention Chinese.

San Francisco or Los Angeles would make for a much shorter flight.

Or how about Honolulu?
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Because that's where all the Europeans come to buy them and unlock them.

Oops, didn't see that response.
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh yeah I forgot they plan their entire vacations around the iPhone: They spend $900 on flights just to buy an $400 phone. You still believe that old wives' tale?

Hey, considering the exchange rates now because the ol" dollar is getting weaker by the month, the Europeans pay a higher rate for the iPhone because of the exchange rate. They won't break even with the savings by coming here, but I bet that the savings help pay for a nice percentage of the trip. Ok, so all the NYC stores are out of stock right now. Maybe with a little calling around Jersey may have 1 or 2.

NYC and the restaurants are very happy now with all the Euros coming into town bringing in that turista money.
post #28 of 48
The PluginManager update is 1.3MB for me.
post #29 of 48
"At their thermal design limits, both of the new Xeons consume no more than 50 watts".

So what were the older ones that they replace? 100 W? Thanks.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittenhousesq View Post

It is very nice that the Cherry Hill store is opening (located in suburban Philadelphia) but what I cannot figure out is why Apple has not opened a store in the city of Philadelphia itself. This is a city of 1.5 million with very high end shopping on Walnut street, but no Apple store! Very strange.

I actually spoke with Ron Johnson about a Philadelphia store a long time ago (when there were only three or four stores in existence) and the first thing he mentioned (without prompting, mind you) was Walnut Street and the King of Prussia Mall. King of Prussia happened a short time later, but Walnut street never panned out. So Apple is clearly aware of the potential of Walnut Street.

My guess? Unfavorable leasing conditions, poor location choices. Maybe they're waiting for a specific building to become available. Apple chooses its store locations very, very carefully, with all the costs and profitability factored in. It's not like opening a Starbucks, where the goal is to simply have as many as possible. If they don't like something about the deal, they back off until the conditions are right.
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Hey, considering the exchange rates now because the ol" dollar is getting weaker by the month, the Europeans pay a higher rate for the iPhone because of the exchange rate. They won't break even with the savings by coming here, but I bet that the savings help pay for a nice percentage of the trip. Ok, so all the NYC stores are out of stock right now. Maybe with a little calling around Jersey may have 1 or 2.

NYC and the restaurants are very happy now with all the Euros coming into town bringing in that turista money.

NYC is full of Europeans because of the dollar value for them - agreed.
They travel here specifically for iPhones- ridiculous.
I find it hard to beleive that Apple could not keep in stock in their 3 "flagship" stores here enough iPhones?
The European flood has been here for at least 3-4 months. Somebody is pulling all of our legs here. I intend to find out for myself tonight.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

I think it's a virtual certainty that iPhone version 2 will debut at WWDC 2008. <snip>

Since Apple will have to file with the FCC before releasing iPhone 2, there will be a window where sales will slow down significantly. I think the price drop will happen then. We'll know soon enough.

I tend to agree - iPhone 2.0 (3G) AND an iPhone OS 2.0 for existing iPhones

The slow down could mean they've slowed production (slightly too much) and they're about to mention the 3G iPhone for June (to get FCC approval)... and anticipating a drop in demand to match new production levels.

??
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am betting June as well. After all, they need to give the early adopters at least a year before expecting them to plonk down another $500-$600?

What is the sentiment that you're trying to convey?

Are you voicing dissatisfaction with the fact that a 3G iPhone will be released so soon or that Apple continues to update their product line?

Surely you're not suggesting that everyone who owns the current iPhone will be holding a useless piece of glass and metal when the new phone is released or that they will be compelled to buy the new 3G version. That would be a strange logical leap.

, indeed.

Obviously you have an issue with this progression. What is it exactly? Do you feel like Apple is ripping you off in some way? You do realize that if you really really really want to upgrade, you have the option of selling your old iPhone to offset the price of the new one.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #34 of 48
David Stevenson, Apple would never release a 3G iPhone in Europe or Asia unless it was available in the USA as well.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They travel here specifically for iPhones- ridiculous.

The European flood has been here for at least 3-4 months. Somebody is pulling all of our legs here. I intend to find out for myself tonight.

By the time you get to one of the stores a shipment may have come it.

When it comes to travelers, saving $$ may be a necessity for some. For others, it can be a fun part of the trip. What % are actually buying iPhones is probably small. But, if you want to take and trip and you want an iPhone then why not combine the 2. And maybe, knowing you want an iPhone is enough of a catalyst to take the trip and also buy a laptop at the same time. Should we have a sociological study to really see? Maybe not. I don't think Apple provides what % of sales in their stores are to foreign credit cards in any of their stockholder reports. I'm sure they know, though.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I am intrigued by those low-power Xeons. If they could get them running a little faster--like 2.8 or 3.0 GHz, I'd be all over them. I love my 1st generation Mac Pro (3 GHz), but it heats up my office considerably (not to mention the two big cinema displays) and sometimes I'd be happy trading a little speed for a cooler computer.

I thought it was odd that the article suggested that performance wasn't sacrificed for going low power, but the drop in available clock is more than 20%.

I think the $2399 model would do you pretty well, it's a single 2.8GHz quad core. It has one less FSB though, I don't know how much it reduces performance.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am betting June as well. After all, they need to give the early adopters at least a year before expecting them to plonk down another $500-$600?

I don't think that's the reason.

Overall, Apple has been doing a major update of their iPods once a year, and I think that's probably going to happen with the iPhone. It's a fairly decent pace, you can't practically update too often, and updating too rarely can lose you market share.
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

I think it's a virtual certainty that iPhone version 2 will debut at WWDC 2008. The SDK/Enterprise software update will become available and it is 2.0, the iPhone debuted in June of last year and Apple tends to update on a yearly basis, and with 3G and a better camera they will be able to make it available in Asia. I just can't see Apple missing an opportunity like they'll have with the Summer Olympics in Beijing this year. Debut the new iPhone and advertise it like crazy at the Olympics.

Since Apple will have to file with the FCC before releasing iPhone 2, there will be a window where sales will slow down significantly. I think the price drop will happen then. We'll know soon enough.

As soon as we get wind of a 3G iPhone being released to the FCC for approval sales will come to a virtual stop. And eery news agency will be reporting on it's imminent release (free press for Apple).

Apple will need something to make the time between FCC and sales in the US less harsh. I think that is the release of v2.0 with the announcement of a 3G iPhone to follow immediately after approval. It won't be much of a stop gap, but it should help balance things out a little. I can't think of anything else they can do to prevent this. Can you?

Therefore, I think the 3G iPhone will be released in the US between Aug—Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

That applies only to USofA sales. Apple could release a 3G iPhone for sale in Europe the same day they file with the FCC (Nokia does this all the time). Don't know about approval in Japan and Singapore, but it's currently Europe where sales are "disappointing."

I think that is a good idea. With the v2.0 advancements and the 3G chip that the EU has been wanting, plus the Americans that will want to be early adopters of the 3G version, if would show a strong desire for the iPhone that we EU didn't see first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

NYC is full of Europeans because of the dollar value for them - agreed.
They travel here specifically for iPhones- ridiculous.
I find it hard to beleive that Apple could not keep in stock in their 3 "flagship" stores here enough iPhones?
The European flood has been here for at least 3-4 months. Somebody is pulling all of our legs here. I intend to find out for myself tonight.

The OP never stated they come here specifically for the iPhone. He just said that international travelers, who are most likely to be in certain US cities, will purchase their iPhones—and other electronics—in these popular hubs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 48
Anyone knows if the PluginManager 1.7.3 fixes the UltraBeat bug in Logic Studio? (The bug where the UltraBeat instrument sometimes doesn't save the sets with the correct samples)..
post #40 of 48
I just hope that with the 3G iphone that we get the ability to tether it for use with a laptop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: NYC iPhone sellout; new Jersey store; 2008 PC shipments