or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Third-Party Products › Windows help needed - sorry!

Windows help needed - sorry!

post #1 of 3
Hi,

A friend of mine with Windows XP Media Center has an unusual problem and if anyone here can help I would really be grateful.

He reinstalled Windows and reinstalled all applications including Office XP. Now when he tries to hyperlink a local file within Excel or Word, he gets an error message saying that there are restrictions in effect on this computer and he cannot complete this operation and that he should contact the administrator. I am supposed to be his friendly neighbourhood geek and I am stuck.

I tried checking ownership of those files and folders, no problem, he is the owner will full permissions.

I tried unchecking Simple File Sharing (as suggested by a Microsoft support article) and that did not work either.

BTW, he is a limited user, he has a separate Admin user with all privileges. That is one piece of my advice that he did follow. I tried logging in as Administrator and creating a hyperlink in Excel to a local text file and I was able to open the local file with no problems when I clicked on the link, but it did not work when I logged in as him (the limited user).

Being used more to Mac and Linux, I created myself as another user (limited) and ran Excel, created a hyperlink to a local text file (that I also created. Clicking the link did not work for my user either, I got the same error message. So I deleted the user account I created for me.

Googling the error message did not give any help other than pointing to that Microsoft support article.

Please help?

By the way, I have been trying to convince him to buy a Mac for a long time, he needed a new machine and a few months ago he went and again bought a PC, an HP Media Center PC! Now he regrets the decision and tells me that he should have listened to me and bought a Mac. His next machine will be a MAc, but that will not happen for a while because he just bought this PC a few months ago

Cheers and thanks.
post #2 of 3
Mmmm, not sure what the issue would be, other than the account permissions or a security warning from Office itself, so I guess if he has to run as an admin, so be it.

BTW, when opening the Excel file, is there a prompt about a security warning? Usually, when I open a DB in Access, I'll get that message, as it's possible to run a macro that can compromise the PC.

If it isn't one of those 2 things, I don't know what else to say. Bad thing about XP, is that is pretty much written , and apps are coded, that you run as an admin. Only Vista drops you in and out of standard/admin mode.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Mmmm, not sure what the issue would be, other than the account permissions or a security warning from Office itself, so I guess if he has to run as an admin, so be it.

BTW, when opening the Excel file, is there a prompt about a security warning? Usually, when I open a DB in Access, I'll get that message, as it's possible to run a macro that can compromise the PC.

If it isn't one of those 2 things, I don't know what else to say. Bad thing about XP, is that is pretty much written , and apps are coded, that you run as an admin. Only Vista drops you in and out of standard/admin mode.

Thanks Guinness. There is no message when opening Excel or Word, only when clicking on a link inside either.

The weird point is that before re-installing Windows, it worked properly. So I am guessing that either he or I did something wrong somewhere and I am unable to figure out where.

Cheers
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Third-Party Products
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Third-Party Products › Windows help needed - sorry!