or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › There is no G5

There is no G5 - Page 4

post #121 of 457
The first line where you tell us the G5s wont come out till 2003 at the earliest or what? I trust my gut, which happens to work in Motorola. Does that mean I know when the G5 is coming? no, but I sure as hell have a better idea of it.

Look, it's Old Man River!
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #122 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:
<strong>The first line where you tell us the G5s wont come out till 2003 at the earliest or what? I trust my gut, which happens to work in Motorola. Does that mean I know when the G5 is coming? no, but I sure as hell have a better idea of it.

Look, it's Old Man River!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, if you work for Motorola in any important capacity, then I'm the King of Spain. Go home, kid. Logic abounds here, and that ain't your game.

SdC
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
post #123 of 457
uh, he didn't claim to be in a high posistion, he said that though he works for motorola he still doesn't know anything except he assumes the g5 is close, for all we know he could work for motorolas walkie-talkie division, so suckful I think your the one being childish, all that aside I am still confidant that we will see g5 towers and apollo tibooks[one of my reasons}, if the towers hit 1.6+ ghz with a g5 then the tibooks would look like shit, unless they have a 1.4 apollo in them
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #124 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:
<strong>

Dude, if you work for Motorola in any important capacity, then I'm the King of Spain. Go home, kid. Logic abounds here, and that ain't your game.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

if logic abounds here why do you predict and swear by no G5 till 2003?

logic would lead one to believe the G5 will be available definitely sometime this year if not very soon.
post #125 of 457
if i were looking for the g5, i'd be looking towards ibm instead.
post #126 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by admactanium:
<strong>if i were looking for the g5, i'd be looking towards ibm instead.</strong><hr></blockquote>

hehe, is that some native indian chief spirit hint?
"Look towards where the eagle lays in a nest and the grass flows green"

Yes, I have heard that IBM is fabbing the G5s but I also heard they are having a cache problem preventing them front getting a high quantity of chips. So, not sure what to believe anymore.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #127 of 457
What I've heard (just on the rumor boards, no direct inside info here) is that Motorola was having trouble with the cache/speed and Apple excercised an option in their contract to farm out the G5 production to IBM. To my knowledge IBM isn't having any problems with production, although I'd have to guess that they're behind whatever schedule Motorola was on.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #128 of 457
Its amazing how one site posts something (like a rumour about cache problems limiting speeds) and suddenly everybody is repeating it so frequently they all believe its true. Remarkable.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #129 of 457
Welcome to the AI telescoping truth effect. It's quite grand to behold.

SdC
post #130 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by Programmer:
<strong>Its amazing how one site posts something (like a rumour about cache problems limiting speeds) and suddenly everybody is repeating it so frequently they all believe its true. Remarkable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the cache problems were limiting chip yield not speed

As for the one site...that's all we have to go on. How do we know it's not real?
post #131 of 457
That's why I clearly stated that I have no inside information and that I just read it on some board....
post #132 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:
<strong>

hehe, is that some native indian chief spirit hint?
"Look towards where the eagle lays in a nest and the grass flows green"

Yes, I have heard that IBM is fabbing the G5s but I also heard they are having a cache problem preventing them front getting a high quantity of chips. So, not sure what to believe anymore.</strong><hr></blockquote>

well, i can't say much. but i'd say we shouldn't be watching moto for info on the g5. take it for what you will, i'm not trying to gain any credibility or "in the know" status. just might help glean more info if we're pointed in the right direction.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: admactanium ]</p>
post #133 of 457
Dude, if you work for Motorola in any important capacity, then I'm the King of Spain.

------------------

Dear King of Spain:

Please come take Florida back for Spain. It is being overrun by idiotic tourists with rodent-like hats, ignorant yankees who cannot fill out a voting ballot and old ladies with blue hair.

Thanks,

A Florida Native
post #134 of 457

like i said, take it for what you will.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: admactanium ]</p>
post #135 of 457
[off topic]
[quote] Dear King of Spain:

Please come take Florida back for Spain. It is being overrun by idiotic tourists with rodent-like hats, ignorant yankees who cannot fill out a voting ballot and old ladies with blue hair.

Thanks,

A Florida Native <hr></blockquote>

Hey Florida native guy, how long have you lived here? You got tourists in any hot post, old people are in every state and yankees are everywhere up north and you got the surfers out west. I happen to like it here and would never live anywhere else.

[/off topic]
post #136 of 457
So who thinks I will win?

And who thinks suckfuldotcom will win?

And who doesn't care
I'm not really here.
I'm not really here.
post #137 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by Slacker:
<strong>So who thinks I will win?

And who thinks suckfuldotcom will win?

And who doesn't care </strong><hr></blockquote>

You will win because the G5s are coming.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #138 of 457
G5's announced within a few weeks - maybe Seybold, maybe QT Conference, maybe Special Event.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #139 of 457
"Expect the next PowerMacs to retain the G4 processor and Quicksilver enclosure. Look for the PowerMac G5 this fall/winter with an all new enclosure. Say goodbye to the tower enclosure."
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku
post #140 of 457
I think Slacker will win--no, wait. I'm gonna win!

SdC
post #141 of 457
sdc,

You're gonna win, no doubt about it.

There is zero, zip, nada in the realm of *credible* evidence that the G5 is on it's way any time soon. What there is is a bunch of MacHeads wishing and hoping against all odds that a G5 will be here in a month or so. Could someone please outline the *real* evidence that a G5 will be released really soon now....oh yeah, there isnt' any.

On the other hand, relatively speaking, there are tomes of evidence that the Apollo G4 will next. I sure hope it is 1.4Ghz, but I'm seriously sceptical of even that.
AI ate my old profile and won't return my emails :o(
post #142 of 457
There is no real evidence as to when we'll see the G5, whether it be tomorrow or next year. As someone else has pointed out, pessimistic speculation is based on fact no more than is optimistic speculation.
post #143 of 457
Well I don't think that there was much evidence that the G4 was about to arrive when it did. And whatever signs there were then, Apple has only gotten more secretive since then. Personally, I think we'll see a G5 this year (sorry SUCKer). Hoping for one at the end of January is a bit optimistic, expecting one next year is a bit pessimistic.
post #144 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by SFVcpz:
<strong>sdc,

You're gonna win, no doubt about it.

There is zero, zip, nada in the realm of *credible* evidence that the G5
is on it's way any time soon. What there is is a bunch of MacHeads wishing
and hoping against all odds that a G5 will be here in a month or so. Could
someone please outline the *real * evidence that a G5 will be released
really soon now....oh yeah, there isnt' any.

On the other hand, relatively speaking, there are tomes of evidence that
the Apollo G4 will next. I sure hope it is 1.4Ghz, but I'm seriously
sceptical of even that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No credible evidence? Oh, please. As far as `tomes of evidence' go, NMR
does not count, unless you know something I don't.

If sdc is 9 months off, and the G5s come out MWTK, he's going to look as
dense as the uber optimists who predicted G5s at MWNY 01 (9 months early,
see). He probably won't admit it should it happen, but let this thread
serve as testament if it does.

As far as credible evidence of the 8500 is on its way soon, there's the
8540, which is shipping 2H02. Seeing as it is a further foray into Moto's
SoC program, the less complicated 8500 should be ready before that. Also,
varied sources indicate G5 test boxes having been in distribution for a
while.
post #145 of 457
[quote]As far as credible evidence of the 8500 is on its way soon, there's the
8540, which is shipping 2H02. Seeing as it is a further foray into Moto's
SoC program, the less complicated 8500 should be ready before that. Also,
varied sources indicate G5 test boxes having been in distribution for a
while.<hr></blockquote>
While you're pontificating you may want to change your post to reflect a little reality. If you are calling the 8500 the desktop version of the 8xxx series, then it is more complicated than the 8450, seeing as how the 8450 specs don't call out an altivec unit, L3 cache etc.
four more beers, four more beers
post #146 of 457
I say, if the G5 comes out any time soon, we'll all be winners Agreed?
post #147 of 457
I'd rather have optimistic speculation then pessimistic speculation. Its more fun.

- Mark
post #148 of 457
I don't feel the evidence that the 8540 will be SAMPLING in Q2/2002, not shipping, is any evidence that the 8500 is anywhere near ready, in production, or giving yields of uber Ghz chips.

And, the reason I said "tomes" more evidence is because Take the G4 evidence (solid) and put in in the Numerator and the G5 evidence (scant at best) in the denominator and you get the following equation

G4 (good)
---------- = veritable Tome
G5 (scant)

in math this may look something like

------------- = 10e12 &lt;----- Tome

Sorry, but a G5 is just wishful thinking.
post #149 of 457
Yeah especially if there's only one major denier of the G5...SdC.
I'm not saying anyone here actually has a clue about what's coming and what's not, and which reports are sources, and which are just bogus.
But as little as I can accept the positive voices, I can accept the negative voices even less, simply because they are a minority. History has shown that the truly popular rumors usually also made it into a product. The iWalk only got popular because the fake video was rather well done, take that as an exception.

G-News
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #150 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by cowerd:
<strong>
While you're pontificating you may want to change your post to reflect a little reality. If you are calling the 8500 the desktop version of the 8xxx series, then it is more complicated than the 8450, seeing as how the 8450 specs don't call out an altivec unit, L3 cache etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't believe this is necessarily true. An embedded processor would have other things built into it that normally wouldn't be necessary on a desktop processor. Things like ethernet, serial ports, and who knows what else, would all be built into the embedded version but could be ripped out for the G5 Apple would use. I believe this was covered earlier in this thread....
post #151 of 457
[quote]I don't believe this is necessarily true. An embedded processor would have other things built into it that normally wouldn't be necessary on a desktop processor. Things like ethernet, serial ports, and who knows what else, would all be built into the embedded version but could be ripped out for the G5 Apple would use. I believe this was covered earlier in this thread.... <hr></blockquote>
Yes but it seems to be the Altivec unit and L3 cache that is the choke point for MOTO in present G4 designs.
post #152 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by cowerd:
<strong>
Yes but it seems to be the Altivec unit and L3 cache that is the choke point for MOTO in present G4 designs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not the L3 cache, otherwise the 7440, which has it disabled, would be able to clock faster.

Michael
Sintoo, agora non podo falar.
post #153 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by SFVcpz:
<strong>I don't feel the evidence that the 8540 will be SAMPLING in Q2/2002, not shipping, is any evidence that the 8500 is anywhere near ready, in production, or giving yields of uber Ghz chips.

And, the reason I said "tomes" more evidence is because Take the G4 evidence (solid) and put in in the Numerator and the G5 evidence (scant at best) in the denominator and you get the following equation

G4 (good)
---------- = veritable Tome
G5 (scant)

in math this may look something like

------------- = 10e12 &lt;----- Tome

Sorry, but a G5 is just wishful thinking.</strong><hr></blockquote>

am I missing something? what is "solid" about the g4 rumors?
post #154 of 457
Just wanted to say thanks to those who provided links to extremetech, Ars and other useful technology sites. Probably the best article I found on how the G4/G4e work vs. the P4 was one I had apparently overlooked on Ars.

If you want to understand pipeline stages and how they affect CPU clock rates and overall performance, check <a href="http://arstechnica.com/cpu/01q2/p4andg4e/p4andg4e-1.html" target="_blank">Here</a>. Really good stuff.

One thing the article doesn't mention, is which models use the G4e (the 7450 and above I think) and the which use the G4 (7400 and 7410?)...makes for interesting comparison as the former uses a newer 7 stage pipeline and different branch prediction techniques than the simpler, 4 stage (no idea it was that pure a design!) 7400.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #155 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by bunge:
<strong>

I don't believe this is necessarily true. An embedded processor would have other things built into it that normally wouldn't be necessary on a desktop processor. Things like ethernet, serial ports, and who knows what else, would all be built into the embedded version but could be ripped out for the G5 Apple would use. I believe this was covered earlier in this thread....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Support for specific ports and Ethernet is built into the processor? What's the motherboard for?

For that matter, why would an embedded processor depend upon Ethernet but a desktop processor wouldn't?
This is not 38, this is old 97!
This is not 38, this is old 97!
post #156 of 457
for all your chip gurus out there..

is it possible to strip altivec out of the g4/future g5 and have it on its own asic (raycer guys job?), therefore allowing Apple to use strictly the embedded chips and saving Mot $$$ and time designing new chips??

just a thought...
post #157 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by ColorClassicG4:
<strong>

Support for specific ports and Ethernet is built into the processor? What's the motherboard for?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

As little as possible, for an embedded device, boards take up space, and add cost and power dissipation.

[quote]<strong>
For that matter, why would an embedded processor depend upon Ethernet but a desktop processor wouldn't?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 8540 appears to be meant as a network controller. It contains one 10/100 Ethernet port, two 10/100/1G Ethernet ports, serial port, rapidIO 8bit port, PCI-X controller, DMA controller, DDR memory controller, interrupt controller, I2C port (a form of serial bus), a form of parallel port controller, and an onboard network to connect them.

Remember that an embedded device is purpose specific, a desktop processor needs to fit in to a number of possible systems, with different requirements.

Michael
post #158 of 457
<a href="http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,568_322_23,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,568_32 2_23,00.html</a>
. This is the title of the press release
Motorola Discloses First e500 Integrated Host Processor To Employ RapidIO Interconnect Technology

"Samples of the MPC8540 are expected to be available in the second half of 2002."

. There's more

"today unveiled its next generation high performance host processor "

"the MPC8540 is Motorola's first processor"

"the first RapidIO interconnect on a microprocessor

"As the first RapidIO-enabled processor, and first processor to utilize the powerful e500 core,"

"and provides Motorola with an ideal foundation for continued system-on-chip innovations."

"Announced in June 2001, Motorola's e500 high performance core is the first core from Motorola to implement the enhanced PowerPC "Book E" instruction set architecture."

Just off hand, I'd say the MPC8540 will be first, before any desktop G5 that Apple will be using.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: rickag ]</p>
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #159 of 457
[quote]Originally posted by rickag:
<strong><a href="http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,568_322_23,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,56 8_32 2_23,00.html</a>
. This is the title of the press release
Motorola Discloses First e500 Integrated Host Processor To Employ RapidIO Interconnect Technology

"Samples of the MPC8540 are expected to be available in the second half of 2002."

. There's more

"today unveiled its next generation high performance host processor "

"the MPC8540 is Motorola's first processor"

"the first RapidIO interconnect on a microprocessor

"As the first RapidIO-enabled processor, and first processor to utilize the powerful e500 core,"

"and provides Motorola with an ideal foundation for continued system-on-chip innovations."

"Announced in June 2001, Motorola's e500 high performance core is the first core from Motorola to implement the enhanced PowerPC "Book E" instruction set architecture."

Just off hand, I'd say the MPC8540 will be first, before any desktop G5 that Apple will be using.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: rickag ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Depends on what first means, amongst other things. Here, I suspect, first to be announced.

Also, Apple's G5 may not use the e500 core. "Book E" is the powerPC spec for embedded processors. Personally I suspect that what we talk of as the G5 will not use the e500 core, nor will it use rapidIO.

Again we have no concrete information.

Michael
post #160 of 457
I recieved some info from an apple exec today... he didn't say much except to look for the g5 at seybold almost definately (if not then, then at tokyo). dual 1.4 GHz.He said G5...a new chip architecture, not the Apollo.

take from it what you want.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › There is no G5