or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple updates iTunes, QuickTime, Front Row
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple updates iTunes, QuickTime, Front Row

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday night updated three of its key media applications for Mac OS X to mend their compatibility and apply bug fixes.

iTunes 7.6.2

iTunes 7.6.2 (45MB) updates Apple's music and video app to improve stability and performance, according to the company.

QuickTime 7.4.5

Apple's QuickTime 7.4.5 update (for Panther, Tiger, and Leopard) is recommended for all users, Apple says.

The patch improves compatibility with third-party apps, overall reliability, and is said to address security issues, though the company's documentation of the security fixes is not available as of press time.

Front Row 2.1.3

Front Row 2.1.3 (20.5MB) is intended only for systems running Mac OS X Leopard and is designed to improve compatibility with the accompanying iTunes 7.6.2 update.
post #2 of 34
Down and no problems on 8 Core Mac Pro
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Down and no problems on 8 Core Mac Pro

No problems on a Powerbook 1.5Ghz
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #4 of 34
well.
it would help if i could get the software update to load.
...strange...

EDIT:took two tries. got it. things look good.
post #5 of 34
This update fixes the bug in iTunes 7.6.1 where the last few seconds of the last track on a CD would be cut off.
post #6 of 34
Those are the words I have been longing to hear for weeks.
post #7 of 34
After I updated my MacBook Pro, the keyboard didn't work. Had to restart it, now it works OK.
post #8 of 34
Here's a FR bug they still haven't fixed: whenever I select a movie in Front Row and start playing it, then go back to the movies list to select another, as soon as I stop on another movie, the selection immediately jumps back to the movie I previously selected. In other words, you have to quit front row then restart it if you want to play another movie. Anyone else annoyed with this?
post #9 of 34
I was really looking forward for FR interface to become similar to AppleTV.
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I was really looking forward for FR interface to become similar to AppleTV.

Any new functionality would be welcomed. Too bad these were just all bug fixes. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the bug fixes.

Looking forward to 10.5.3 and June for the new Xcode.
post #11 of 34
It's good to see Front "irrelevant" Row, i"bloatware"Tunes and Quick"security flaw"time getting updated.
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's good to see Front "irrelevant" Row, i"bloatware"Tunes and Quick"security flaw"time getting updated.

Ha ha ha you are so funny!

Kudos man. Damn, what a put-down. The world is a better place knowing you guys are out there...
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's good to see Front "irrelevant" Row, i"bloatware"Tunes and Quick"security flaw"time getting updated.

Care to back up your comments with reasons?

I like Front Row - use it to watch movies or show photos on my 24" iMac

ITunes bloated? Come on, it boots in under 2 seconds and is very responsive. The only bit that feels slow is the store, but that's because it is a webpage. Maybe its file size gives an impression of bloatware, but I think a lot of that is to do with supporting all the iPods ever made, though that's code which sits on your computer's hard disk - not in your computer's memory.

As for Quicktime, yeah there do seem to be a fair share of security fixes for it. It's goes back a while so I wonder are they flaws created back in the naive the-internet-is-safe days (like Win2k).
post #14 of 34
<rant>
The above poster is correct. Front Row on leopard is way less useful to me than it used to be. It's nice of them to yank air-tunes support, the one thing I use regularly. I used to use front row to play music around the house and to look at movie trailers. Now the big thing is gone and it's only movie trailers.

So I tend to agree that it is irrelevant.

Anybody who thinks iTunes isn't a bloated POS needs to try it on a PC (I don't have to, thank god). And why is an app called iTUNES dealing with movies, ringtones, calendar, and address book? iTunes implies music not syncing. They need to do some application house cleaning and make the applications more intuitive again. Use iSync for syncing iPods and iPhones. etc.

Quicktime is a big framework that has lots of exposure to the outside world, there will always be bugs and it needs to be as tight and good of code as apple can write. The address book framework for example doesn't have the potential for hosing me if there's an exploit because it used locally and by more trusted users than the quicktime framework is.
</rant>

The update went flawlessly for me on a 2.4ghz 17" MBP high-res.

Sheldon
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Care to back up your comments with reasons?

I like Front Row - use it to watch movies or show photos on my 24" iMac

ITunes bloated? Come on, it boots in under 2 seconds and is very responsive. The only bit that feels slow is the store, but that's because it is a webpage. Maybe its file size gives an impression of bloatware, but I think a lot of that is to do with supporting all the iPods ever made, though that's code which sits on your computer's hard disk - not in your computer's memory.

As for Quicktime, yeah there do seem to be a fair share of security fixes for it. It's goes back a while so I wonder are they flaws created back in the naive the-internet-is-safe days (like Win2k).

...... please don't feed the trolls.
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

...... please don't feed the trolls.

I second that
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

ITunes bloated? Come on, it boots in under 2 seconds and is very responsive. The only bit that feels slow is the store, but that's because it is a webpage. Maybe its file size gives an impression of bloatware, but I think a lot of that is to do with supporting all the iPods ever made, though that's code which sits on your computer's hard disk - not in your computer's memory.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

<rant>
The above poster is correct. Front Row on leopard is way less useful to me than it used to be. It's nice of them to yank air-tunes support, the one thing I use regularly. I used to use front row to play music around the house and to look at movie trailers.

Man, does that bug me too. Front row would be exponentially more useful to me if it supported air-tunes.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's good to see Front "irrelevant" Row, i"bloatware"Tunes and Quick"security flaw"time getting updated.

LOL
this is what this guy does in his free time.
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

This update fixes the bug in iTunes 7.6.1 where the last few seconds of the last track on a CD would be cut off.

Cool. Thanks for testing this out...
post #21 of 34
Does anybody know how many frk'n updates we have had on iTunes since Leopard came out? It sems like one a month!
And still no continual playing playlist for movies/videos????
post #22 of 34
Me thinks, if the software does not work for you then DON'T USE IT, there are plenty of options out there, no?

But to make your point, you should get what you pay for... Oh yes, you didn't pay for iTunes or front row and my guess is, not a user of QT pro either.

Ahh, but it was Steve himself who pointed the gun to your head to make you buy that iPod and therefore force you into iTunes, didn't he? That bastard.

Perhaps a better use of the time you have to complain about other's software, would be to write your own and share it with us. Since you seem to have everything worked out, I would love to give it a try.


Marcus T. Cicero
post #23 of 34
nice, I wnder wht they fixed in front row though. it work great though I still like the Tiger Front row animations
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

Perhaps a better use of the time you have to complain about other's software, would be to write your own and share it with us.

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

Me thinks, if the software does not work for you then DON'T USE IT, there are plenty of options out there, no?



Marcus T. Cicero


The software does work for us- only asking why there have been so many updates.
I guess you would update every other minute if one were given, without a question, in between your sips of kool-aid.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

I'm just guessing man... But I maintain that calling iTunes bloated is inaccurate.

Open any Adobe CS app and you'll get your definition of bloated. iTunes opens quick and runs fine for me.

Go on, explain why you disagree... I don't pretend to be an expert - if your argument is sound and makes sense then I'm all ears... or do you not know what you are talking about either?
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

<rant>
Anybody who thinks iTunes isn't a bloated POS needs to try it on a PC (I don't have to, thank god). And why is an app called iTUNES dealing with movies, ringtones, calendar, and address book? iTunes implies music not syncing. They need to do some application house cleaning and make the applications more intuitive again. Use iSync for syncing iPods and iPhones. etc.
Sheldon

Totally agree. I mean... a 45MB "update" please... if they keep it this way, we'll have iTunes OS soon.
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

<rant>
Anybody who thinks iTunes isn't a bloated POS needs to try it on a PC

Of course it's going to feel more resource-intensive on a PC... it has to load all the Apple frameworks / custom UI elements just to run.

On the Mac that is already up and running as part of the OS.

So calling it bloated on the Mac because it runs badly on a PC is retarded
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The software does work for us- only asking why there have been so many updates.
I guess you would update every other minute if one were given, without a question, in between your sips of kool-aid.

My Kool-aid is quite refreshing thank you

If challenging those who wish to complain about the quality of FREE software is being a fanboy, then so be it. I only ask them then, to join the software community and provide us something better, and also, do so for free as these programs are.

I do not make any claims that this software is without faults; but only shame those who cast the first stone.

Marcus T. Cicero

Twice and thrice over, as they say, good is it to repeat and review what is good. Plato
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Open any Adobe CS app and you'll get your definition of bloated. iTunes opens quick and runs fine for me.

I don't measure "bloatness" by how slow or how fast an app loads. It probably starts fast because alot of the stuff needed is already loaded and running without even opening the "iTunes" app.

In Windows, an iTunes + QT install puts 2-3 processes to "auto start" when booting. When you actually open the app, another one opens. Why would anyone want an app using RAM when it is not being used?
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

I don't measure "bloatness" by how slow or how fast an app loads. It probably starts fast because alot of the stuff needed is already loaded and running without even opening the "iTunes" app.

In Windows, an iTunes + QT install puts 2-3 processes to "auto start" when booting. When you actually open the app, another one opens. Why would anyone want an app using RAM when it is not being used?

Well I agree that that is one way of looking at "bloatness", and I also agree it is certainly affecting the Windows versions (Apple applications on Windows remind me of Java applications - its like they require this whole extra layer just to run).

But still, a lot of people above, starting with the nicknamer, have declared their belief that iTunes is bloated, and I assume they are talking about the Mac version as well. Yet not one of them has given a real reason why they think this is the case for the Mac version. One guy hints it's due to the file size of iTunes, but that's a load of crap as far as bloatness goes - I could write a Hello World program that is 100MB in size due to the large uncompressed image I put in its splash screen, yet that doesn't make it "bloated" (assuming we are talking about "bloated" in terms of how processor-intensive it is - if this whole conversation has been about pure disk space bloatness, then I've been wasting my time)
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does anybody know how many frk'n updates we have had on iTunes since Leopard came out? It sems like one a month!
And still no continual playing playlist for movies/videos????

I agree, it feels like software update has had to run every 2 weeks for the past 5 or 6 months... Starting to feel like a Microsoft situation...
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

if they keep it this way, we'll have iTunes OS soon.

We do... It's called Leopard!
post #34 of 34
To those who gave me crap for referring to QuickTime as Quick"security flaw"Time, it appears the main purpose of this release was in fact a security overhaul
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Ap...-to-QuickTime/

So I wasn't talking out my arse after all. And props to Apple to doing this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple updates iTunes, QuickTime, Front Row