or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Charlton Heston: 1923-2008
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charlton Heston: 1923-2008

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
This was a Great Man.



Rest In Peace.
Deepest sympathies to the Heston family.

V/R,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #2 of 17
Ah... that's gotta hurt for his family...


but he in no way way a great man...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Ah... that's gotta hurt for his family...


but he in no way way a great man...

I assume you say this because you disagreed with his political views. Typical liberal: Nobody can be any good unless they agree with you. And to think, you guys think you're the "tolerant" ones.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I assume you say this because you disagreed with his political views. Typical liberal: Nobody can be any good unless they agree with you. And to think, you guys think you're the "tolerant" ones.

How tolerant of you.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I assume you say this because you disagreed with his political views. Typical liberal: Nobody can be any good unless they agree with you. And to think, you guys think you're the "tolerant" ones.

no...

he was an actor. not a great man... an actor...

his politics, which changed during his life, have nothing to do with my evaluation on his greatness as a man...

and to think, someone might consider a man great because he agrees with his politics...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #6 of 17
:::grabs popcorn:::
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #7 of 17
Does this mean we can finally take his guns?
post #8 of 17
R. I. P.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I assume you say this because you disagreed with his political views. Typical liberal: Nobody can be any good unless they agree with you. And to think, you guys think you're the "tolerant" ones.

Virtually every (far right) conservative view, besides being pro-life, is self-serving. Sending THE OTHER GUY off to fight endlessly while dodging out yourself, fighting off minimum wage increases, etc. People that I disagree with can be good, but the odds go down as they take the self serving side on issue after issue.

It's ironic that Charleton Heston turned out to be an icon of the right. He was in the most anti-creationism movie ever, Planet of the Apes which is like a diatribe against religion. And he had one of the first interracial kisses in The Omega Man. And the black woman was really black with an afro. She wasn't mixed race or really pretty or motherly either.

Charleton Heston seemed like an OK guy who just got carried away with the guns.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindler View Post

It's ironic that Charleton Heston turned out to be an icon of the right. He was in the most anti-creationism movie ever, Planet of the Apes which is like a diatribe against religion. And he had one of the first interracial kisses in The Omega Man. And the black woman was really black with an afro. She wasn't mixed race or really pretty or motherly either.

Charleton Heston seemed like an OK guy who just got carried away with the guns.

He is known as a devotee to the christian religion and also the right to bear arms. Neither of these positions make hypocrisy of favorable opinions on evolution or interracial relations. It's only a fraction of christians who are creationists, and it's only a fraction of social conservatives who are deeply moved, negatively, by interracial relations.

Heston was in some very memorable movies, and he later made efforts toward some areas of political activism. Maybe that's not "great" to you, but if you are to lump other entertainers-turned-activists into the "great" category, such as Bono, you may have to consider that possibly Heston falls too into that category.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

He is known as a devotee to the christian religion and also the right to bear arms. Neither of these positions make hypocrisy of favorable opinions on evolution or interracial relations. It's only a fraction of christians who are creationists, and it's only a fraction of social conservatives who are deeply moved, negatively, by interracial relations.

Heston was in some very memorable movies, and he later made efforts toward some areas of political activism. Maybe that's not "great" to you, but if you are to lump other entertainers-turned-activists into the "great" category, such as Bono, you may have to consider that possibly Heston falls too into that category.

Good points.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

He is known as a devotee to the christian religion and also the right to bear arms. Neither of these positions make hypocrisy of favorable opinions on evolution or interracial relations. It's only a fraction of christians who are creationists, and it's only a fraction of social conservatives who are deeply moved, negatively, by interracial relations.

I think it is more direct than you are letting on. There is a certain type of thinking among large numbers of people in say, Indiana, Mississippi, Georgia, etc. when you get outside the large cities. the thinking would say (a) no one should ever take my gun (b) all non-white people are probably thieves and (c) no atheist should be trusted even if a person isn't required to be fully religious.

I took a cab ride just north of Atlanta and in front of the K-Mart the guy said "Look at her, she probably slipped a VCR under her cart." meaning a random Mexican person had probably stolen something. I'm guessing that guy wouldn't be open minded about gun control or atheism.

So while it's not true that every non-metro Christian is bigoted, fears atheists and thinks all of America depends on us having guns, there is a certain group and mentality where those traits cluster together. So lots of gun nuts would be surprised to know C.H. kissed a black woman or spoke against creationism.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Does this mean we can finally take his guns?

Gore would probably try and convert them to solar power.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindler View Post

So while it's not true that every non-metro Christian is bigoted, fears atheists and thinks all of America depends on us having guns, there is a certain group and mentality where those traits cluster together. So lots of gun nuts would be surprised to know C.H. kissed a black woman or spoke against creationism.

Sure, but that's stereotyping. It's not even very accurate, since there are a lot of "gun nuts" in america, from all over. In fact, you probably have friends who own guns that you don't even know about. I was shocked to find out that of my close friends, who are of various political and religious leanings, I'm one of only three that doesn't own at least one gun. One of my friends owns six guns, including an AR-15. I had no idea! I bet most of your neighbors in Beverly Hills have mountains of guns.

More importantly, your post drips with stereotyping. I'm not terribly critical of stereotyping, because so much of the time it's appropriately gained and applied in localized scenarios. If a store owner makes a racist remark based on observational stereotypes, that's actually more couth than what you've just done, since there's the likelihood that his stereotype is based on extensive personal experience in a very controlled environment. In other words, it's mildly scientific. Your claims make global characterizations based on very limited regional observations, and they are exceptionally bigoted: (non-metro Christian?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Gore would probably try and convert them to solar power.

I bet Gore owns a gun. If not, he certainly benefits from his bodyguards having them.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #15 of 17
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"

Arthur C. Clark and Heston within a few weeks...
post #16 of 17
good riddance.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeironDecay View Post

good riddance.

Classy post; provides crystalline insight into the quality of your upbringing and into the content of your character.

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Charlton Heston: 1923-2008