or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple notebook lines to see major design changes, sources say

Apple notebook lines to see major design changes, sources say - Page 3

post #81 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd217 View Post

.... the Macbook Air does resemble the Macbook Pro for a reason. It's sexy and sex sells.

Best comment of the thread so far!
post #82 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I waaaaaaaaaant!
post #83 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnicutt View Post

News flash: analysts will pick this up and claim it as their own for further proof that folks need to buy AAPL......

They don't even need to do that, AAPL is already up almost $40 from recent lows. People buy AAPL because the company is making good profits and because they believe apple's strategy will bring better profits in the future.

So far, it's worked damn well for me, recession or no recession.
post #84 of 189
Fix the DVD slot design in the 15 inch MacBook Pro. These models often experience warped DVD slots due to pressure from the top. The front of the slot can also bend outward. When the slot gets bent, DVDs can no longer be inserted or ejected properly. To repair a damaged dvd slot requires technicians to completely disassemble the laptop, remove every single internal component, and replace the entire bottom case. The 17 inch MacBook Pro does not have this problem because the slot is part of the top case rather than the bottom. Replacing the top case is a lot easier than replacing the bottom. Better yet, make the DVD drive user replaceable so people can slide it out and put in a second battery.
post #85 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

You need to lose the fanboy elitist attitude. Nobody is asking apple to be the next dell, nor to do "everything".

There will be no video iPods. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod. Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
post #86 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post

I think it is very unfair to call the MacBook enclosure 'Tawdry' :-

tawdry = showy but cheap and of poor quality, sordid or unpleasant

You're right! Apple white plastic is not poor quality. It stays white over time, unlike my "white", now very yelow Cuisinart.
Cubist
Cubist
post #87 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

There will be no video iPods. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod. Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Apple will never release a phone. Apple will never release a budget headless desktop. Apple will never release an ultraportable...
post #88 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post

I think it is very unfair to call the MacBook enclosure 'Tawdry' :-

tawdry = showy but cheap and of poor quality, sordid or unpleasant

But mine is of low quality; at least the three major cracks that appeared despite it never having been dropped would suggest as much.

Quote:

Apple will never release a phone. Apple will never release a budget headless desktop. Apple will never release an ultraportable...

What ultraportable has Apple released?
post #89 of 189
Call me a skeptic. I believe Apple would want to keep a clear distinction between the MacBook Air/Pro line and the MacBook. I don't see Apple making them look the same on the surface, which is what this article seems to be implying.
post #90 of 189
i hope so.... The MacBook and MacBook Pro need some major redesigning.
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
post #91 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

But it is of low quality.

/Adrian

I'm a nanny, and a babysitter of many more and spend a lot of my free time with my young cousins. I also happen to be a student who beats up on his laptops.

My 13.3" MacBook has survived at the hands of multiple toddlers and worse, myself, since July 2006.

Not a single crack. What's "low quality" about that?
post #92 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post

But mine is of low quality

I understand some had bad cases, but there was a recall. Did you go in for that?
post #93 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Call me a skeptic. I believe Apple would want to keep a clear distinction between the MacBook Air/Pro line and the MacBook. I don't see Apple making them look the same on the surface, which is what this article seems to be implying.

You are a skeptic.
post #94 of 189
Am I the only one who misses lucite? I wish they would have made more neutral-colored translucent objects, something like the cinema displays before they were re-designed.
post #95 of 189
Quote:

Apple will never release a phone. Apple will never release a budget headless desktop. Apple will never release a 3 button mouse...

tftfy,
post #96 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

While I agree that the MBP could use some tweaking (the latch), I can't think of how they could make any major revisions that would improve it. My 4-year old G4 PowerBook makes my brand new work ThinkPad look like a cheap plastic toy. The bezel around the ThinkPad's screen alone makes me cringe! And my new MBP makes it look even worse!

That is why Steve Jobs said himself, "You can't ask people what they want." You have to create what they want because if they knew, it'd already be made.

I didn't know the second half of the quote but the point is the same.
post #97 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie924 View Post

That is why Steve Jobs said himself, "You can't ask people what they want." You have to create what they want because if they knew, it'd already be made.

I guess that's true, because I can't imagine any sensible person saying that they "want" desktop and laptop computers that are service nightmares for technicians.
post #98 of 189
Quote:
Why mess with perfection?

Quote:
At least someone here agrees. The MacBook Pro has a timeless look, definitely not dated. Any redesign is only to satisfy superficial desires for something that looks "new."

I'm curious. When the Powerbook G3 Lombard was first introduced, were people at the time calling it "perfect"? How about the Powerbook G3 Pismo? The Powerbook G4 Titanium? The clamshell iBook? The white iBook G3 and G4?

What happens when one "perfect" design is replaced by a total redesign? What about when Steve Jobs admits to weaknesses in previous designs which were supposedly "perfect", like he did when introducing the Magsafe connector? When another "perfect" design is introduced, does the previous design lose its "perfection"? And what about the people who were calling those previous designs "perfect", only to see them replaced by something else? Do those people suddenly look like idiots?
post #99 of 189
I can't believe that the macbook is being called "tawdry white". I love the look. I was disappointed in the tincan look of the new iMac. I guess I'll be disappointed in the look of the new macbooks.

I'm betting I'll be looking for the old-style macbook and upgrade to a used laptop.

Long live white plastic!
post #100 of 189
Seriously,

i dont give a hoot about any major case redesigns.

What i expect from them, no, demand, is that the new Macbooks and Macbook Pros sport user-replaceable hard disks. The iBook G4 was already an upgrade nightmare. The Macbook Pro is not as nightmarish as the iBook, but is still a pain to change the hdd.

Everything else is pointless.
post #101 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by .mac View Post

interesting! i just got my first mac ever......

last month only

Good decision. No need to be unhappy. You got a great computer that is going to make you happy for years to come. Don't bother about newer, faster Macs coming out in the meantime because if you do, you'll never be happy. Every time a revision of any Mac model has just been released rumors are abuzz about the next revision being so much better and worth waiting for. Don't buy into that, these kind of upgrades are few and far between and often have some strings attached as they mostly occur when Apple introduces Macs with new architecture/processors, like with the switch to Intel or from G3 to G4 etc. Early adopters were more likely to get burnt with issues.

So don't worry, be happy and just enjoy what you've got. Even if the next MBP and MB introduce a new design. People will be complaining about it first and how much better the old design wasn anyways instead of accepting that Apple knows best what we need.
post #102 of 189
Wow, nice mock up Ireland, I prefer the bottom picture, it looks like an ideal MBP replacement, thinner . Oh yeah and remove the latch, make it magnetic

Well doesn't matter to me though cause Im getting a SR w/ Penryn MBP after they release Montevina MBP because its much cheaper
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
post #103 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by doemel View Post

Good decision. No need to be unhappy. You got a great computer that is going to make you happy for years to come. Don't bother about newer, faster Macs coming out in the meantime because if you do, you'll never be happy.

doemel makes a good point.
I own the previous iMac (White C2D) which I bought second hand for a great price. I do not feel "left behind" because of the new aluminum one. Nor do I experience this "superficial" feeling of owning an obsolete machine. My Mac is great, does everything I want to do, on par with today's performance standards. I has a fantastic design and has two small features that the new one is lacking: the pulsating light designating stand-by status and the ability to magnetically attach the remote on the side of the Mac.

I am also waiting for the new macbooks, since I am contemplating of ditching my WinXP laptop. That does not necessarily mean that I will be buying that. I may as well buy the current version, since it meets my needs 100%. The only reason I am waiting is because I have no *real* need to get a laptop. I just suffer from the "buy-everything-Apple" disease. If I actually needed one today, I would simply get the current one without having second thoughts.

I just wish they include a card reader in the new ones. Every lame pc one has one. And it is a very convenient feature. It is such a drag to carry an additional card reader, given that today most of us own a pda or a digital camera.
post #104 of 189
Quote:

I wish they'd add more options of screen sizes. A 15" macbook would be great, it doesn't make any sense that you have to go to the premium machine just to get a bigger screen. Plenty of people want a laptop with a big screen just to do basic things like internet stuff and word processing, where more advanced features aren't necessary.

My wife's PC laptop is due for replacement soon, and it's a 15 that cost less than the base macbook costs now. I'd love to switch her to a mac but the only options are downgrading to a smaller screen or paying twice (or more) what a basic 15" PC laptop costs. I'd love to go the mac route, but with the current lineup, it's practically impossible for me to justify a huge cost increase or a smaller screen.

I agree. The 13" MacBook is too small and the 15" MacBook Pro is too expensive for many people - especially PC switchers who are used to reasonably priced/spec'd 15" laptops as standard. I would like to see 15" and 17" MacBooks, preferably with some colour options.

I would also like to see Apple change it's policy of linking form factor to specification. Why can't we have an iMac Pro for those who want an all-in-one computer but need a top-end spec for say video editing or gaming.
post #105 of 189
The new cases will be made of Hybrix laminated steel, not aluminium. Hybrix steel is easier and cheaper to use in production than aluminium.
post #106 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

It would entertaining, in a morbid way, if all conversations were like that:

"Hey, y'know, universal health care might be a good idea."
"YOU COMMUNIST BASTARD!!!"

"I like the car, but I wish it came with the 16" tires standard."
"WHAT THE F*** DO YOU WANT, A F***ING ROLLS-ROYCE?!!!?!"

"Could I have fruit instead of Fries, please?"
"WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, THE FOUR SEASONS?!? GET THE F*** OUT!"

You know my dad?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #107 of 189
Quote:
The new cases will be made of Hybrix laminated steel, not aluminium. Hybrix steel is easier and cheaper to use in production than aluminium.

Where you get this info from? So is it as strong or stronger then aluminium?

Quote:
I would like to see 15" and 17" MacBooks, preferably with some colour options

Okay, I understand a 15" MB but not a 17" MB (just my opinion). Honestly, I dont understand whats the big deal about different color option, for me different color option makes an Apple look the same as a Sony or a Dell, I prefer Apple stick with their classy colors as usual. Silver, White and Black are classy. Red, Blue, Green are just hippie .

Not trying to trash anyone, just giving my opinion
post #108 of 189
My first laptop was a last generation Ti-Book, then went through 17" PowerBooks, last gen 15" PB and now on 17" Core 2 Duo and while the basic design has not changed much, it is functional and works pretty well. However it would be good to update to the internals such as faster FSB, RAM etc to keep up with the PeeCee competition.
post #109 of 189
I for one wouldn't want a first generation "new design" as I'd like Apple to work out any kinks which are most likely to occur with new models once they hit the market.

I'm happy with my 15" MBP (Penryn).
post #110 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post

Seriously,

i dont give a hoot about any major case redesigns.

What i expect from them, no, demand, is that the new Macbooks and Macbook Pros sport user-replaceable hard disks.

The regular MacBook already does.
post #111 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Because nothing is perfect - ever..

Spheres are perfect.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #112 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

good artwork, but it looks like a step backward to the old ti books to me.

the current design is far better.

I am a little worried about the idea to imac-ise the MBPs. the MBA does not look that great. Only its thinness makes it look good. the MBPs are special and should definitely continue the minimilist and clean integrated look they currently provide.

the imac type look cheapens it.
post #113 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also paving the way for redesigned enclosures at this time are logic-board changes on the part of Intel that offer Apple the opportunity to reassess and slightly modify the notebooks' internals. Both the MacBook and MacBook Pro are to receive "Montevina"-based processors from the chipmaker's upcoming Centrino 2 platform, which require a new "Socket B" logic-board. The second-gen mobile Penryn chips will boast a 1066MHz front-side bus and clock between 2.26GHz and 2.8GHz.

Kasper, a major logic board change won't happen until mobile-Nehalem arrives, Spring of 2009. Apple can just use the same logic board designs in the existing MB/MBP/MBA for Montevina as that is all the same architecture: same CPU+NORTHBRIDGE+SOUTHBRIDGE, but with smaller/bigger/faster features. Same FSB, but faster. Uses a Northbridge, but comes with better graphics, it could ship with a WiMAX module if Apple so chooses. Montevina will have a raft of CPU, Northbridge and Soutbridge chip packages that would be direct drop in replacements in the MacBook Air. The MBA's Merom in a smaller chip package is actually just the Montevina small form factor packaging.

Apple may redo the MB/MBP enclosures, but it won't be because of Montevina. It could be argued that it won't be because of Nehalem either, even though basically everything is changing with the logic board for Nehalem.

Apple will have to be very careful about MB/MBP enclosure changes. Very very careful. It's their bread and butter right now, selling like gangbusters. Hopefully they'll come up with something good. (Ahem, port replicator port and docking station.)
post #114 of 189
The Mac Newb Tube had some ideas on this. the obvious is the Macbook following in the "prosumer" aesthetics.

http://macnewbtube.wordpress.com/200...se-g4s-anyway/

http://macnewbtube.wordpress.com/200...pple-keyboard/

I really hope they go this route. My wife wants a new Mac, the ol' 17" Powerbook os just too much and the Air iis beautiful (finally saw one in person) but not practical for our situation.
post #115 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

good artwork, but it looks like a step backward to the old ti books to me.

the current design is far better.

I am a little worried about the idea to imac-ise the MBPs. the MBA does not look that great. Only its thinness makes it look good. the MBPs are special and should definitely continue the minimilist and clean integrated look they currently provide.

the imac type look cheapens it.

Thats my (The Mac Newb Tube) rendition! Yay!
post #116 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Silver, White and Black are classy. Red, Blue, Green are just hippie

Isn't Jobs pretty much a hippie?

I agree though. Silver, white and black are colors that most ppl like, or at least can live with. 'Electric Atomic Fuschia', not so much.

That said, is it possible for some aftermarket party to just anodize a metal notebook case to whatever hippie color you'd like?

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #117 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

That said, is it possible for some aftermarket party to just anodize a metal notebook case to whatever hippie color you'd like?

Colorware have been doing this for Macs for yonks.
http://www.colorwarepc.com/c-3-computers.aspx

Branching into pc's now as well, I see.
post #118 of 189
Wow, only about the 10th time AI has reported this in the past 5 years, but we still basically have the G4 Powerbook design in the Pro line. I don't see there being much to change physically - the AirBook isn't even a major departure from the the Macbook Pro design other than the sloped top and bottom and consequent removal of parts, and the Macbook hasn't really changed since the ugly clamshell....
post #119 of 189
This Penryn MBP is my first mac. I was debating whether I should wait for a redesign, but I don't care now. I am so much happier technology-wise now because I am not using my old Gateway 800 Mhz Celeron laptop that is strapped to a 17" CRT monitor because of a broken inverter board.

I don't think I could bear doing another "is it coming this Tuesday?" thing all this summer.
post #120 of 189
I can't wait. I've been using an iBook G4 since 2004. My mum has been asking me for it, so i'll give it to her once i get the new 13inch Macbook.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple notebook lines to see major design changes, sources say