or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Latest iPhone 2.0 beta reveals 3G chipset

Latest iPhone 2.0 beta reveals 3G chipset - Page 3

post #81 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They don't NEED it more, but they EXPECT it more.

I don't buy that argument.

The US has higher 3G handset penetration rate than UK, France and Germany.

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/3/a...re_spain_italy

People like to paint the US as years behind Europe in "cool" phones --- yet Americans have more 3G phones than the big 3 European countries.
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

I don't buy that argument.

The US has higher 3G handset penetration rate than UK, France and Germany.

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/3/a...re_spain_italy

People like to paint the US as years behind Europe in "cool" phones --- yet Americans have more 3G phones than the big 3 European countries.

This is about video recording, not carrier data capabilities. From what I've read EU has had video capabilities on more phones and for a longer time frame than the US. Hence my suggestion that they expect it more.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #83 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is about video recording, not carrier data capabilities. From what I've read EU has had video capabilities on more phones and for a longer time frame than the US. Hence my suggestion that they expect it more.

The number of 3G phones is going to be highly related to the number of phones with more complexed features like video recording.

Americans are going to expect more from their phones --- because they have a higher percentage of 3G phone penetration. Americans actually buy these 3G phones --- so they expect more features.

What good is European phones with all kinds of features --- if they are just sitting on the store shelves. Lower European 3G penetration rates ---- means all the cool feature phones are just sitting on the sotre shelves.
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

So any word from AppleInsider yet on what it actually said?

What was the "Sleuthing" they did that revealed SGOLD3 did not refer to SGOLD3, but rather SGOLD3H?

(FWIW, I too believe Apple will release 3G soon. I just don't see this discovery as evidence).

Was this answered yet?

I agree with you. We all know that a new iPhone will eventually use a network faster than edge. The question is, is this code snippet actually evidence of anything at all? It's that one little "H" that makes all the difference.

Even with the H, i don't interpret this as any more of confirmation than we already had. Not that the article is bad. It is perfect rumor fodder for us people who enjoy the fodder. But at the same time, all kinds of things have historically been found in code that never saw the light of day. Once it's in there, even if unused, taking it out is more dangerous than leaving it in.

Even with my healthy dose of skepticism, I fully expect to see a 3G iPhone within 18 months.
post #85 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Even with my healthy dose of skepticism, I fully expect to see a 3G iPhone within 18 months.

Long before then. They promised an Asia launch for 2008, and there's absolutely no way that's happening without 3G capability.
post #86 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Long before then. They promised an Asia launch for 2008, and there's absolutely no way that's happening without 3G capability.

At least dfiler will be pleasantly surprised, unlike the excessive "too little, too late" sentiments that frequent this boards whenever Apple releases a new product or update.
post #87 of 89
Surprised?
It would not be surprising if it happened next month or 18 months from now. Such is the nature of apple. There are historical precedents for seemingly long delays as well as out of nowhere releases.
post #88 of 89
Quote:
For the average American iphone user video capture may be bottom of the list but to a European it may be closer to the top. You cant make that statement as you have no idea what Apples strategy is in that regard.

I still haven't seen a correlation between the best selling phones in Europe and the abilities of their cameras or video recording.

You can clearly see what features Apple emphasis in the phone. Their is good evidence as to what features are most used and what features are most requested. With all of this together video recording is not at the top of the list.
post #89 of 89
Well you can look at the N90 and N93 which won European phone of the year for the years they were released. Also the N95 is still selling in the masses although thats more of an all round phone.The LG Viewty already overtook iphone sales in Europe within a few weeks of release and is no doubt miles ahead in terms of sales and the main features of that phone aside from a touch screen is video capture.

So do you acknowledge now that video recording is more used in Europe than in the US?

I actually think video capture would be well liked in the US if it already isnt and your just an odd one out. Camera and video are just 2 of the things most people look for in phones these days as these features are widely used.

A nice quote from the Cloverfield producers:

"Constantly documenting things and putting them up on YouTube, sending people videos through e-mail we felt it was very applicable to the way people feel now"

You can argue till your blue in the face that its not needed but Jesus Christ its 2008. The "I dont need that feature" argument is no longer a valid excuse. Whats next....honestly.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Latest iPhone 2.0 beta reveals 3G chipset