or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Report: Apple prepping Australia for June (3G?) iPhone arrival

Report: Apple prepping Australia for June (3G?) iPhone arrival - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

Telstra obviously thought they knew better.
Now all they know is that they didn't agree to a 2.5 G phone which means all Mac tragics would have bought one of them and then upgraded to the 3G phone meaning more units sold in total and a whole lot more people locked into their network for 2 years.
A whole lot of lost revenue that Telstra shareholders should be asking Sol about next time they get a chance.
Now the iPhone looks to be available to all networks.
I'm just pissed off because it means we had to wait a whole year before we got the damn thing!

Why do we keep employing these malodorous morons from the USA?

They keep arrogantly pontificating on all matters telecommunication whilst simultaneously showing amazing antipathy to their customers and Australia as a whole and singular incompetency in all their ventures.

You're an Ass Sol!
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Should piss off all those who bought and hacked the US iPhone to use in Australia.

Now they will be stuck with the slower incompatible version.

They who put their heads too early on the starting block invite them to be chopped off.

I thought the saying was: "The early bird gets the worm"...

Either way, I got my brother (in Aus) an iPhone for his 12st, he loves the thing. Admittedly I had no idea the iPhone would be coming out in Aus so soon (if this report proves true)!
Early adopters in Aus are the same as early adopters anywhere though, even though the iPhone is unlocked, it's still a first-gen product, and everyone that's got one now is in the same boat when the new one comes out, that's just the way of technology. Let's pop that axe back in the shed, shall we?
Peace.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #43 of 55
Quote:

They keep arrogantly pontificating on all matters telecommunication whilst simultaneously showing amazing antipathy to their customers and Australia as a whole and singular incompetency in all their ventures.

Clown.....
post #44 of 55
Quote:

You're an Ass Sol!

Is that a response to me?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #45 of 55
Quote:

Should piss off all those who bought and hacked the US iPhone to use in Australia.

Now they will be stuck with the slower incompatible version.

They who put their heads too early on the starting block invite them to be chopped off.

Why would they be pissed off....?
They've had a fantastic phone for months!
(Which will still go on working, although requiring ongoing hacks....)

Don't be jealous Gastroboy, when it comes out, just get one!
post #46 of 55
I'll believe it when it's in the stores.

Still, I don't see that there could be much to gain from by Apple price gouging in Australia though. $1000+ for an unlocked phone is virtually unheard of. Multi carrier support and a fair price (certainly no more than $600) could see deep market penetration in a snap which is what I gather Apple really wants in order to leverage the App store as a new revenue stream. just like the iPod they want this to be the device that everyone has.
post #47 of 55
Hardly. The Nokia N95 8GB is pretty close to $1000 retail and its a popular phone. You just don't see it being offered without a plan. If you take the existing model for sale in the US at the very good exchange rate of 93c and add GST you get $473 and $591. And these are 'subsidised' prices since they require a AT&T plan. So you're basically dreaming. Without a plan it will easily be over $1000.

If you're not forced to buy in some way or another, then it's not gouging. Some people will baulk at the price, but complaining about the price is meaningless. It just says you want the phone but can't afford it.
post #48 of 55
Virtually unheard of.
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MacTalk notes that all the major Australian carriers already operate a 3G HSDPA network, while only one -- Telstra -- maintains a network suitable for the current 2.5G EDGE-based iPhone. As such, the publication believes a 3G model would stand as the only logical choice for the region, a notion believed to also support the rumored multi-carrier model.

I believe that there is a high possibility that the Australian carrier for the iPhone would be Optus. This ties up with the rumour that Apple will be bring the iPhone to Singapore in September.

Optus is a subsidiary of Singapore Telecom (SingTel), which is the rumoured Singapore mobile carrier to be bringing in the iPhone.
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hi Sol,

Your profile doesn't have a location. I'm sure it is referring to USA Citizen Sol Trujilo who is the CEOWHATEVERTHEACTUALTITLEIS of Telstra the phone company who clearly blew it by not agreeing to release the 2G phone here first before waiting on an unlocked 3G version
post #51 of 55
Quote:

Hi Sol,

Your profile doesn't have a location. I'm sure it is referring to USA Citizen Sol Trujilo who is the CEOWHATEVERTHEACTUALTITLEIS of Telstra the phone company who clearly blew it by not agreeing to release the 2G phone here first before waiting on an unlocked 3G version

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think so, but I didn't see any other Sols here... and, well, I am an ass.
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemorize View Post

Awesome news, but will this mean the iPhone will finally be coming to New Zealand as well?

Does anyone know what kind of networks Telecom NZ/Vodafone NZ use?

Vodafone - WCDMA 2100/GSM900

Telecom NZ - CDMA 800 but soon to be joined by GSM 850 and WCDMA 850. Yes its a mouthful, but they are going to follow Australia's lead and wind down CDMA.I am not sure of Voda's plans for WCDMA 900 but that would make sense given NZ's predominantly rural environment.

Side note - The lower the frequency (thats the number on the end eg GSM 850)basically the further it travels and the better it travels into buildings etc. WCDMA 2100 is great for cities but pretty lousy for the countryside - thats why a lot of operators around the world are looking at WCDMA800/900 now
post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that was directed at Sol Trujillo - CEO of Telstra.

I think he's an ass too.
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I'll believe it when it's in the stores.

Still, I don't see that there could be much to gain from by Apple price gouging in Australia though. $1000+ for an unlocked phone is virtually unheard of. Multi carrier support and a fair price (certainly no more than $600) could see deep market penetration in a snap which is what I gather Apple really wants in order to leverage the App store as a new revenue stream. just like the iPod they want this to be the device that everyone has.

A couple of things with that post - price gouging would never work as there is already a large grey market for iPhones in Australia. A lot of the people who want one have one and I dont think anything will change when the 3G iPhone comes out. if tis cheaper someplace else they will just import it. The third party forcing rule I think has been the big stumbling block till now as A cannot buy a phone from B and be forced to use C's network. But thats how most phone contratcs work I hear you say. But you can buy that phone to use with any network. Not Apple, they want people to use just one network. I have the feeling it is Telstra too - they are the biggest by a mile and while most country towns are occupied by hicks with bricks, I think Apple still wanted to go with Telstra as they dwarf Voda and Optus in terms of coverage.

Sorry I'm Rambling. I think when the 3G phone comes out, unless Apple comes out with one of their usual "what the fuck did they do THAT for?" features and leave out WCDMA 850, I think you will find it works on all networks and will do ok out in the bush. Optus and Voda are busy building WCDMA 800 networks that cover 90% of the population as we speak.
post #55 of 55
Quote:

Hi Sol,

Nah he didn't - He told Apple to fuck off.

"I think they should stick to their knitting - mobile phones is not their knitting" I think was the term used. In diplomatic speak thats about as brazen as it gets.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Report: Apple prepping Australia for June (3G?) iPhone arrival