or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Fresh Fresh Foods for spring / summer

Fresh Fresh Foods for spring / summer

post #1 of 12
Spring is in the air and summer is on the way (forgive me if you live in a different season). This thread is an invitation for you to share your culinary gems with all of us who are searching for a new dimension to "fresh".

Please be creative and don't hold back with great fresh food ideas!

Here is my little link to a cool vid to get this thread off to a good start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HasvyM_ZktM

Your turn,

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Spring is in the air and summer is on the way (forgive me if you live in a different season). This thread is an invitation for you to share your culinary gems with all of us who are searching for a new dimension to "fresh".

Please be creative and don't hold back with great fresh food ideas!

Here is my little link to a cool vid to get this thread off to a good start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HasvyM_ZktM

Your turn,

Fellows

I have no idea what seasonal foods are... it's an area where I'm completely ignorant...

Strawberries in the summer, peaches in the winter? Is that right?

But I do know that chili peppers are great in hot weather because of their cooling properties. In Texas I bet you can get some of the best, spiciest, home-cooked style mexican food.
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I have no idea what seasonal foods are... it's an area where I'm completely ignorant...

Strawberries in the summer, peaches in the winter? Is that right?

But I do know that chili peppers are great in hot weather because of their cooling properties. In Texas I bet you can get some of the best, spiciest, home-cooked style mexican food.

Absolutely!

In the fall you see people eat stews, with potatoes, carrots beef. Heavy foods. Comfort foods etc. In the Spring however when the sun starts to shine and the april showers arrive people start to see all the colors of the rainbow as it pertains to fresh produce which is far less (root vegetable) centric as in the fall type harvests and foods.

Fellows

post #4 of 12
Green Rice

This recipe is outstanding.

A few ingredients stand out: cilantro, lime, garlic, poblano and jalapenos. I would take her advice to heart though and test the hotness of the poblano before adding the jalapeno. You might not need it or need only half instead. Also, when roasting the peppers, make sure they're really charred, otherwise skinning them will be a pain.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Green Rice

This recipe is outstanding.

A few ingredients stand out: cilantro, lime, garlic, poblano and jalapenos. I would take her advice to heart though and test the hotness of the poblano before adding the jalapeno. You might not need it or need only half instead. Also, when roasting the peppers, make sure they're really charred, otherwise skinning them will be a pain.

That looks Great!

Fellows

post #6 of 12
Do you cook too, Shawn? You're a wonan's dream... just hope with lawyering and doctoring the 2 of you have time for eachother... that's the sad thing about life these days, and why I choose to be a part-time teacher.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Do you cook too, Shawn? You're a woman's dream...

:::throws up:::
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #8 of 12
Don't be so quick to dismiss the charms of a wonan.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #9 of 12
I can't believe you googled it adda...
post #10 of 12
Had to. It just looked too promising.
post #11 of 12
Asparagus Risotto.

Mark Bittman recipe adapted from Mario Batali.

It's definitely a good one, although I used 3/4 cup of rice, 1 cup of pinot grigio, and 4 tbsp of butter. I'd also err on the side of more asparagus for the puree. Asparagus puree is surprisingly mild tasting, and if you add too little, the rice just sucks everything up. So, the soupier, the better! Also, timing is an issue for when you add the asparagus pieces: too late and it's raw; too early and it becomes textureless. Obviously, you want to avoid both since the texture of asparagus is half the reason people eat it in the first place.
post #12 of 12
4 tbsp of butter?

Fatty!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Fresh Fresh Foods for spring / summer