or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Preventing Spammy Posts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Preventing Spammy Posts - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Hello, new here, and just reported my first two spam messages, and a suspect spammer account, too! Go me!

May I suggest a small fee for registrations, via paypal? I'm sure that we can all pony up $5 for an account. We'd be instantly rid of ALL spam, cut down on the joke/spammer/sockpuppet accounts, increase the level of discourse (morons & trolls rarely want to pay), and all live happily ever after. As a bonus, you'd get insanely rich*!

Also, I'm not sure if there are any europe-based mods, but if there aren't, you should look in to that so that spammers don't abuse the system while the mods are sleeping

*Not entirely true
post #42 of 78
13 identical spam posts (more luxurious). Something has to be done soon.
post #43 of 78
Thread Starter 
What about a 1 post per day limit on new users until they get the all clear?

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply
post #44 of 78
here's a thought...

new users can post immediately but can only start a thread after 2 or 3 or 5 posts. maybe that would do it? thanks for your work on this mods
post #45 of 78
I have noticed 3-4 in the last 2 days alone and I always love the way they describe the 3G iPhone
post #46 of 78
Thread Starter 
Personally, I think it's better to report the annoying advertisers than to reply and bump them to the top of the 'new' posts list.

Of course, ignoring them is also an effective method if they get zero hits from their links from here

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply
post #47 of 78
How about new users have to make 5-10 posts before they are allowed to start their own threads?

All of the spam threads are being started by users who have just signed up. If you force them to make comments in existing threads before they are able to make their own, might that reduce the amount of spam?

Also, the first 5-10 posts wouldn't have to be moderated. If someone starts posting spam in an existing thread I think they are much more likely to be reported by readers because people are already actively watching that thread.

[edit]
Just noticed progmac suggested the exact same thing - DOH!

Another thing, it would be great if you could reduce the time limit between reports.

It would help us speed up reporting multiple spam threads, especially the ones where the first post is spam (usually DVD rippers) and then there's one or more follow-up spams with garbage like "thanks for sharing your infos. very useful".
post #48 of 78
Thread Starter 
^ what he said

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

^ what he said

^ what he said
post #50 of 78
I've concluded that AI must be making money off the spam. That is to say they allow advertising in the form of forum posts that to us look like spam.
post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I've concluded that AI must be making money off the spam. That is to say they allow advertising in the form of forum posts that to us look like spam.

It appears Mydo has been banned... for that comment?
post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It appears Mydo has been banned... for that comment?

I was asking myself the same question.

Do permanent bans exist here? I once was on a board, where you could be banned for a limited amount of time like a week or month or life (maybe two, if you really were annoying).


Back on topic:

I detected less spammers in the last weeks. A month ago, there were multiple threads in multiple forums advertising the shit out of some phones or other technical equipment.

I don't know about the 5-10 posts until you can start a thread rule. A lot of people just register to ask one or two questions regarding a problem with their Mac by starting a new thread about it. Having this rule wouldn't hold back spammers, as they just spam some existing threads and then start their own, but would hold back new registrars that just want to have a problem solved.

My two øre.
post #53 of 78
I just received a private mail spam post from a "tom2008".

This is the post:

Quote:
hi, is this your topic ????? http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=88954. Thanks! AppleHelper

When I clicked on the link within my private page, this came up:

http://www.shop4shoes.us/

Can this individual be removed from membership? I can't believe that I'm the only one bothered by him.
post #54 of 78
Thread Starter 
I think I had something similar a few months ago from another username

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply
post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I think I had something similar a few months ago from another username

I've had no response about this from management so far.
post #56 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I just received a private mail spam post from a "tom2008".

This is the post:



When I clicked on the link within my private page, this came up:

http://www.shop4shoes.us/

Can this individual be removed from membership? I can't believe that I'm the only one bothered by him.

Since you included his username, I could ban him. I've gotten a lot of these as PMs, but the username that sent them often isn't included, so I don't know who to ban.

I have received these myself. He spoofs the URL to his shoes site so that it looks like an AI forum URL.

If you get any more, add the username and send it on to me.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Since you included his username, I could ban him. I've gotten a lot of these as PMs, but the username that sent them often isn't included, so I don't know who to ban.

I have received these myself. He spoofs the URL to his shoes site so that it looks like an AI forum URL.

If you get any more, add the username and send it on to me.

Yup, though I hope I don't get any more.
post #58 of 78
Hi Lundy, you may have noticed that AI is getting slammed with porn spam. Any way to implement a 'captcha' system for all posts? The spam posts are getting completely out of control. Thanks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hi Lundy, you may have noticed that AI is getting slammed with porn spam. Any way to implement a 'captcha' system for all posts? The spam posts are getting completely out of control. Thanks.

There is a very simple solution: moderation of all new users. The end.
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hi Lundy, you may have noticed that AI is getting slammed with porn spam. Any way to implement a 'captcha' system for all posts? The spam posts are getting completely out of control. Thanks.

Gee, and I just get ads for shoes!
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Gee, and I just get ads for shoes!

This stuff is being posted to the main boards, I didn't receive it as an e-mail.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This stuff is being posted to the main boards, I didn't receive it as an e-mail.

I haven't seen it so far.
post #63 of 78
Well this spam situation is just beyond out of control. Now there are spam posts within legit threads. I report them when I can but nothing seems to happen with the posts. I'm willing to volunteer moderate. Shit I'm on the forum or site all day anyway. Something needs to happen or I hate to say it, because I'm a long time reader, but I'm going to have to find another place to get my Mac rumors and speculation.

Please please fix this.
MrShow
meh
Reply
meh
Reply
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShow View Post

Well this spam situation is just beyond out of control. Now there are spam posts within legit threads. I report them when I can but nothing seems to happen with the posts. I'm willing to volunteer moderate. Shit I'm on the forum or site all day anyway. Something needs to happen or I hate to say it, because I'm a long time reader, but I'm going to have to find another place to get my Mac rumors and speculation.

Please please fix this.
MrShow

I delete every single one that gets reported to me or that I come across. We have changed the registration to require a human answer but maybe the bots can circumvent that too.

I probably delete and ban 10 or 15 a day.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

I delete every single one that gets reported to me or that I come across. We have changed the registration to require a human answer but maybe the bots can circumvent that too.

I probably delete and ban 10 or 15 a day.

It's very very simple: moderation for the first 5-10 posts.
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It's very very simple: moderation for the first 5-10 posts.

Do you know of a way to do that in vBulletin? I'd gladly review all the first posts of new registrants. But there is no way I can find to set that.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Do you know of a way to do that in vBulletin? I'd gladly review all the first posts of new registrants. But there is no way I can find to set that.

You can do it with Usergroup Promotions. Set the registered usergroup so it's posts are moderated and then promote users with 10 approved posts to a usergroup with more permissions (i.e. no moderation).

That's the best I can think of for now.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShow View Post

Well this spam situation is just beyond out of control. Now there are spam posts within legit threads. I report them when I can but nothing seems to happen with the posts. I'm willing to volunteer moderate. Shit I'm on the forum or site all day anyway. Something needs to happen or I hate to say it, because I'm a long time reader, but I'm going to have to find another place to get my Mac rumors and speculation.

Please please fix this.
MrShow

Well, no one's here more than me, even when I'm not posting (now I can be here when all I have is my iPhone!), and I have to tell you that while it's annoying, its not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.
post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, no one's here more than me, even when I'm not posting (now I can be here when all I have is my iPhone!), and I have to tell you that while it's annoying, its not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Well I'm not sure what you're used to but of all the forums I visit I rarely if ever see spam posts like this. Just visit the Future Hardware section. There's a bunch of topics started by spamers. It's just aggravating as hell and it makes me wonder if the powers that be care that much.
meh
Reply
meh
Reply
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

You can do it with Usergroup Promotions. Set the registered usergroup so it's posts are moderated and then promote users with 10 approved posts to a usergroup with more permissions (i.e. no moderation).

That's the best I can think of for now.

Yeah , but I can't figure out how to set a group so that its posts are moderated. I made my own test account and couldn't get it to put its post into any kind of moderation queue, even though there definitely is a moderation queue.

If I could figure out how to make posts go into a queue, that would also be a solution to banning people.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Yeah , but I can't figure out how to set a group so that its posts are moderated. I made my own test account and couldn't get it to put its post into any kind of moderation queue, even though there definitely is a moderation queue.

If I could figure out how to make posts go into a queue, that would also be a solution to banning people.

How about giving the developers of the software a call? Maybe there are options that the site doesn't have.
post #72 of 78
Is there a way we can fight back against these sites? Report them to someone or some organization? DoS attack them? (is that illegal?) These fuckers just piss me off so much. rrrrrrrrr
meh
Reply
meh
Reply
post #73 of 78
Just increase the amount of moderators. Simple. Fixed.

(and no not asking - too busy)
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Just increase the amount of moderators. Simple. Fixed.

(and no not asking - too busy)

If deleting posts and banning the infringers doesn't take any more time than reporting the post, considering the 60 sec timeout between reports, I'll happily volunteer to be a moderator.

Dave Smith
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsimages View Post

If deleting posts and banning the infringers doesn't take any more time than reporting the post, considering the 60 sec timeout between reports, I'll happily volunteer to be a moderator.

Dave Smith

Problem is that the powers that be are not too interested in the spam epidemic. It is the shit that is going down in the PO that is causing the headaches. Are you willing to don the flame retardant suit?
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
Reply
post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Problem is that the powers that be are not too interested in the spam epidemic. It is the shit that is going down in the PO that is causing the headaches. Are you willing to don the flame retardant suit?

I volunteered to help get rid of the commercial spam which is invading every forum, not to get into the cesspool that is PO which, by the way, seems to be doing it's job.

If you don't like what's going on in there don't go. I don't.

The spam is affecting every forum.

Dave Smith
post #77 of 78
ban China and India IP ranges
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #78 of 78
I'll volunteer to be a spam cop if it helps. Can't guarantee I'll be on the forum 24/7 though...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Preventing Spammy Posts