or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Where Does the GOP Find These People?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where Does the GOP Find These People? - Page 7

post #241 of 518
The Republican revolt is something to behold, is it not?

Of course, they didn't ask for accountability when they were in charge.

Of course, they didn't ask for Roe v Wade to be overturned when they were in charge.

Of course, they didn't increase the size of the military when they were in charge.

Of course, they didn't overturn any of the gun laws when they were in charge.

Of course, they didn't purge all the seculars from government office when they were in charge.


And now that they're about to lose control of power? All of the above is now the thin thread that dangles our precious nation precariously over the abyss. Suddenly (like every four years) these issues are THE issues.

Odd they did absolutely nothing about them when they had full control.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #242 of 518
Ok. Some republicans have made the title douche bag a little less valid.

A little.

Keep working on it.
post #243 of 518
post #244 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Oh well...

The comments are good and bad, here's a good one, and he wasn't banned,
Quote:
The sheer ignorance and idiocy of the posters making light of this shows just how valuable breeding outside of your family really is. Education is also a great thing you all may want to try. Start with elementary school and work your way up.

You're not poster children for gun control, you're poster children for birth control.
post #245 of 518
New Mexican Republicans forced to back down on claims of voter fraud:

Quote:
In other words, it looks like the RNC had scheduled a call to tout evidence of voter fraud -- not voter registration fraud, mind you, but actual voter fraud -- being perpetrated by ACORN in New Mexico. But when ACORN appeared to come up with compelling evidence that no such fraud had occurred, the RNC held the call anyway, simply shifting the focus to other vague allegations against ACORN -- then refused to address the New Mexico situation when asked

This is the standard right wing shell game: stay on message and claim something, over and over and over again, whether you have much or any evidence or not.

When people call you out on particulars, just shift over to "there have been lots and lots of incidents" mode. Of course there have been lots of "incidents"-- they define "incident" as any allegation, rumor or fabrication. The shear volume of allegations are supposed to prop up the extremely thin-on-the-ground particulars.

Which is why they go for volume in the first place. A complete fabrication in New Mexico is supposed to be buttressed by a wildly inflated allegation in Michigan which is made "serious" by "what everybody knows" is happening in Ohio which is "just the tip of the iceberg" nationwide. And, of course, the liberal media is only to happy to forward the narrative.

They know they can't win the election, so they're going to do everything in their power to delegitimize it, if only in the minds of the crazy and violence prone.

Thanks, John McCain! Anybody gets killed, the blood is on your fucking hands.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #246 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

new mexican republicans forced to back down on claims of voter fraud:



this is the standard right wing shell game: Stay on message and claim something, over and over and over again, whether you have much or any evidence or not.

When people call you out on particulars, just shift over to "there have been lots and lots of incidents" mode. Of course there have been lots of "incidents"-- they define "incident" as any allegation, rumor or fabrication. The shear volume of allegations are supposed to prop up the extremely thin-on-the-ground particulars.

Which is why they go for volume in the first place. A complete fabrication in new mexico is supposed to be buttressed by a wildly inflated allegation in michigan which is made "serious" by "what everybody knows" is happening in ohio which is "just the tip of the iceberg" nationwide. And, of course, the liberal media is only to happy to forward the narrative.

They know they can't win the election, so they're going to do everything in their power to delegitimize it, if only in the minds of the crazy and violence prone.

Thanks, john mccain! Anybody gets killed, the blood is on your fucking hands.

ding! Ding! Ding!
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #247 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

New Mexican Republicans forced to back down on claims of voter fraud:



This is the standard right wing shell game: stay on message and claim something, over and over and over again, whether you have much or any evidence or not.

When people call you out on particulars, just shift over to "there have been lots and lots of incidents" mode. Of course there have been lots of "incidents"-- they define "incident" as any allegation, rumor or fabrication. The shear volume of allegations are supposed to prop up the extremely thin-on-the-ground particulars.

Which is why they go for volume in the first place. A complete fabrication in New Mexico is supposed to be buttressed by a wildly inflated allegation in Michigan which is made "serious" by "what everybody knows" is happening in Ohio which is "just the tip of the iceberg" nationwide. And, of course, the liberal media is only to happy to forward the narrative.

They know they can't win the election, so they're going to do everything in their power to delegitimize it, if only in the minds of the crazy and violence prone.

Thanks, John McCain! Anybody gets killed, the blood is on your fucking hands.

Well you knew they were going to go kicking and screaming.

It won't help this time though.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #248 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Plus I'll add the time honored .... "If the republicans had done this you guys would be enraged."

Oh but they did, in so many ways. Did you object then?

No. because "If it was so bad, then the Democrats should have stopped us."
post #249 of 518
By the way, Michelle Malkin is a fucking lunatic and virulent racist sack of shit.

Apparently what happens in Zimbabwe is relevant to Obama's economic plans because...... oh, fuck it, niggardy nig nig black black jigaboo, ya'll.

I'm not sure which is worse: the constant parade of nakedly racist bullshit emanating from ever higher up the Republican food-chain, or the endless squawking about how it doesn't exist.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #250 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Why does it even matter? But since you ask ... Absentee ballots, fake voters showing up, provisional ballots, election day injunctions for [insert bullshit here], bogus charges of voter suppression, create chaos in elections office to facilitate other illegal efforts.


ACORN did the exact same thing in different states nation wide. This is not an accident or "gosh we were taken by dishonest people". It's a conspiracy plain and simple. Good thing they have noncritical supports to run interference for them.

Fraudulent voter registrations you say?

1) Voter enters voting precinct.
2) Pole taker asks "Your Name?"
3) Voter answers "Mickey M. Mouse"
4) Pole taker says "We have no one on our voter roles named Micket M. Mouse. The closest name we have to yours is Mickey A. Mouse."
5) Voter answers "Oh, well that is my actual birth name."
6) Pole taker asks "We have your current address as Disneyland, 500 S. Buena Vista St., Mail Code 7663, Burbank, CA 91521-7716, is that your current address?"
7) Voter answers "Yes."
8) Pole taker asks "Why are you wearing that mouse costume? Halloween was four days ago."
9) Voter answers "I'm not wearing a costume. Are you trying to deny my right to vote based on my appearance?"
9) Pole taker answers "Of course not, it's just that I've never seen someone with such big black ears."
10) Voter asks "Are you trying to deny my right to vote based solely on my ethnicity?
11) Pole taker says "No, not at all, here's your ballot, please use the booth to your extreme left."

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #251 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Oh but they did, in so many ways. Did you object then?

No. because "If it was so bad, then the Democrats should have stopped us."

I that jackass in california should go to jail and lose his right to vote and anyone that helped him.
post #252 of 518
I just want to say that even though the criticism of Obama reaches some levels of distaste here, at least we don't go this far...

FOX News "hate site" bashes Obama over dying grandmother

Quote:
Where is Bill O'Reilly when we need some righteous indignation over Web site comments? Oh, and I have screen captures of everything.
Quote:
by joebridges[Oct 20, 2008 10:07:16 PM]
What a bunch of c*ap. Another sympathy move by Omamma to garner votes. Next there'll be a mock funeral for "grandma" a day or two before the election. The old biddy's probably been dead for years.

by danfromva8271 Virginia [Oct 20, 2008 9:11:34 PM]
Well isn't this convenient. I guess his grandmother is suddenly useful again once he starts slipping in the polls.

by bobbyutvolArkansas[Oct 20, 2008 10:24:37 PM]
MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE.POLITICAL PLOY... THIS IS THE SAME GRANDMOTHER HE SPENT LESS THAN AN HOUR WITH ON VACATION.. THE SAME ONE HIS WIFE AND KIDS DID NOT EVEN GO AND SEE. YO LIBERALS WILL STOP AT NOTHING OBAMA YOU ARE SUCH A PHONEY... I DONT BELEIVE ANYTHING YOU SAY OBAMA.. YOU HAVE LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE WHY BELEIVE YOU NOW PHONEY

by evan6402 Massachusetts [Oct 20, 2008 9:12:16 PM]
I hope he has time to stop by to find his authentic birth certificate.

by obamabidenladenNew York[Oct 20, 2008 10:47:25 PM]
So much for "A President cannot put his duties on hold and must be able to multi-task as situations arise".......what a complete BAFOON!! MCCAIN/PALIN'08

by opinionMinnesota[Oct 20, 2008 9:59:26 PM]
She suffering badly and may be her last days because of her daughter had made a '666'

by oscar[Oct 20, 2008 9:53:51 PM]
Obama is such a loser it is hard to feel anything but distain for him and his. He "divorced" his mother and her parents for a long time. It has been only lately that it is to his benefit to act like his gives a s$%^&t about any of the white family. Wonder where old Michelle is? Last I heard she was lunching on Lobster and chugging champagne while her husband was listening to poor people beg for money. Sick. just plain sick.

So, keep it classy.
post #253 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I just want to say that even though the criticism of Obama reaches some levels of distaste here, at least we don't go this far...

FOX News "hate site" bashes Obama over dying grandmother



So, keep it classy.

While not entirely unexpected that's pretty bad.

There are some pretty angry wingnuts out there. Let's hope not too many of them are dangerous.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #254 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I just want to say that even though the criticism of Obama reaches some levels of distaste here, at least we don't go this far...

FOX News "hate site" bashes Obama over dying grandmother



So, keep it classy.

Should I grab some angry rantings from DailyKos or HuffPo? Would that prove anything?
post #255 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

While not entirely unexpected that's pretty bad.

There are some pretty angry wingnuts out there. Let's hope not too many of them are dangerous.

Dangerous? You mean like the Obama supporters?


Quote:
This is how the victim describes it:

I said, “What are you doing? You can’t do that!” And he was red in the face screaming, “You people are ridiculous!” And I said, “Yeah, whatever, but you can’t do that.”

So I reached for the sign that he ripped up, and he grabbed another sign, broke it, and ripped it to shreds. And when I said, “You can’t do that,” he took the stick from the sign and started beating me on the head with it. He broke the skin on my head, he scratched my wrist, and almost broke my glasses, and then he left.
post #256 of 518
Yeah, trumptman has cited many incidents too. Some people are crazy. Though I haven't seen any evidence of the Obama campaign helping in fueling this hatred.

The McCain/Palin side though...
post #257 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Yeah, trumptman has cited many incidents too. Some people are crazy. Though I haven't seen any evidence of the Obama campaign helping in fueling this hatred.

The McCain/Palin side though...


You know it's bad when members of their side start complaining about it, too.

But, wait! They aren't Real Republicans. They aren't pro-Republican. They're anti-Republican.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #258 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Dangerous? You mean like the Obama supporters?

Uh huh. Still waiting on some evidence that ACORN is parlaying some fake registrations into wide spread voting fraud.

These are the people, remember, that John McCain has said are undermining the very foundations of our democracy and perpetrating the greatest voter fraud in history.

So evidence of how this works should be abundant.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #259 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Fraudulent voter registrations you say?

1) Voter enters voting precinct.
2) Pole taker asks "Your Name?"
3) Voter answers "Mickey M. Mouse"
4) Pole taker says "We have no one on our voter roles named Micket M. Mouse. The closest name we have to yours is Mickey A. Mouse."
5) Voter answers "Oh, well that is my actual birth name."
6) Pole taker asks "We have your current address as Disneyland, 500 S. Buena Vista St., Mail Code 7663, Burbank, CA 91521-7716, is that your current address?"
7) Voter answers "Yes."
8) Pole taker asks "Why are you wearing that mouse costume? Halloween was four days ago."
9) Voter answers "I'm not wearing a costume. Are you trying to deny my right to vote based on my appearance?"
9) Pole taker answers "Of course not, it's just that I've never seen someone with such big black ears."
10) Voter asks "Are you trying to deny my right to vote based solely on my ethnicity?
11) Pole taker says "No, not at all, here's your ballot, please use the booth to your extreme left."

Is that the only way someone can vote? Show up at a polling place on election day? I thought there were other way to vote too? I must be wrong.

When I go to vote it's typically some aged retiree that can't find my name in the voter list. I typically point out my name, they cross it off and hand me a ballot. No ID check, no questions about current address. I think I could register as Mite E. Mouse at 123 Main Street and they would never realize.
post #260 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Uh huh. Still waiting on some evidence that ACORN is parlaying some fake registrations into wide spread voting fraud.

These are the people, remember, that John McCain has said are undermining the very foundations of our democracy and perpetrating the greatest voter fraud in history.

So evidence of how this works should be abundant.

So your ignoring the evidence that ACORN systematically committed fraud across several states to the tune of thousands of registration election after election? I guess we should just a hang back and after they stuff the ballot box for Barack we can "prove" a bunch of anonymous ballots came from fake registrations. Then we can cry "witch hunt" when someone tries to find actual voters and match them up to lists of voters that casted ballots early, absentee or on election day.
post #261 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

So your ignoring the evidence that ACORN systematically committed fraud across several states to the tune of thousands of registration election after election? I guess we should just a hang back and after they stuff the ballot box for Barack we can "prove" a bunch of anonymous ballots came from fake registrations. Then we can cry "witch hunt" when someone tries to find actual voters and match them up to lists of voters that casted ballots early, absentee or on election day.

Yes, you've said all that. What I'm asking you is how these registrations are supposed to turn into fraudulent votes. You gave us a vague list of ways you apparently just figured that could happen, so I asked you for some evidence that any of those things are, in fact happening.

You've also never addressed the fact that paying people to collect registrations invariably results in bad employees faking names to save time, and that the law requires any voter registration outfit, not just ACORN, to submit all of the registrations they receive. ACORN routinely (and can prove) that they flag the "problem" registrations when they send them in.

Since I've asked half a dozen times now, I'm going to assume you have no evidence whatsoever that the there is any systemic plot to turn fraudulent registrations into fraudulent votes. That's not surprising, since the Bush Justice Department made such investigations a priority (it's at the heart of the State Attorneys General scandal, in case you've forgotten) and came up with nothing.

So given that this "biggest voter fraud scheme in history" has no way of influencing the outcome of the election, I guess we'll have to conclude that all the screaming and arm waving by the right is just a bunch of diversionary bullshit, designed to lay the groundwork for questioning the legitimacy of the election and to rile up the low information voter that totally heard from his cousin that this dude in St. Louis has already vote, like, 15 times.

Golly, what a surprise.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #262 of 518
And the major issues facing the nation were...?

Why does Camp McCain focus on anything but what is important? Divert attention, get people riled up, maybe in the election and.. then what?

Sadly, there seem to be many who buy into the crap Camp McCain is dishing out.

Personally, I would hope that someone who wanted to be POTUS would actually give a hoot about the country and try to raise its level instead of pandering to its lower ends.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #263 of 518
The rights symbol of righteous indignation,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Bachmann\\
Quote:
On October 17, 2008, Bachmann, during an interview on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews, called for the media to investigate both chambers of Congress to identify "liberal, leftist, possibly anti-American" members.[85] Matthews then interviewed Katrina vanden Heuvel, co-editor of The Nation. She said "I think what we just heard was a Congresswoman channeling Joe McCarthy" and "There is an extremist... extremism unleashed in this nation which you just heard on this program, which could lead to violence, and hatred, and toxicity, and against the backdrop of the Great Depression we're living through is... could lead, and I don't use this word lightly, to a kind of American fascism which is against the great values of this nation and which people like that are fomenting."

And this was the worm That Bush, Cheney and Rove campaigned for.
post #264 of 518
post #265 of 518
The latest GOP claim:

"Liberals hate real Americans that work and achieve and believe in God."



http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecry...d.html?showall

Of course, the speaker's staff denied the comments were made, but there is an audio recording...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #266 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Is that the only way someone can vote? Show up at a polling place on election day? I thought there were other way to vote too? I must be wrong.

When I go to vote it's typically some aged retiree that can't find my name in the voter list. I typically point out my name, they cross it off and hand me a ballot. No ID check, no questions about current address. I think I could register as Mite E. Mouse at 123 Main Street and they would never realize.

Jeez, I don't know, but I think anyone with a phone book could commit actual voter fraud, much more easily than going to all the trouble of filling out fraudulent voter registration forms.

Meanwhile we have the Help America Vote Act;

Quote:
The Bush administration began a crackdown on voter fraud in 2002, but despite its efforts the Justice Department has turned up virtually no evidence of any organized effort to skew federal elections, according to court records and interviews. "If they found a single case of a conspiracy to affect the outcome of a Congressional election or a statewide election, that would be significant," said Richard L. Hasen, an expert in election law at the Loyola Law School, "But what we see is isolated, small-scale activities that often have not shown any kind of criminal intent."[

Quote:
HAVA requires states develop a single, uniform, official, centralized, interactive computerized statewide voter registration list defined, maintained, and administered at the State level. (Previously, voter registration lists were maintained by local officials.) HAVA requires the statewide list be coordinated with other agency databases within the state. HAVA also requires regular "maintenance" of the statewide list including removing ineligible voters and duplicate names are eliminated in accordance with the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (NVRA).

Quote:
HAVA requires any voter who registers to vote by mail and has not previously voted in a Federal election show current and valid photo identification or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter. Voters who submit any of these forms of identification during registration are exempt as are voters entitled to vote by absentee ballot under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act.

Quote:
HAVA requires voters identified as ineligible (such as voters not found on the registered list), but who believe themselves to be eligible, to be able to cast a provisional ballot. After the election, the appropriate State or local election entity will determine if the voter was eligible, if so counting the vote and notify the voter of the outcome. Approximately 1.9 million voters nationwide cast provisional ballots in the 2004 election. Of those, approximately 1.2 millionor 64.5%were counted.[5] Additionally, any time polling hours are extended voters are required to vote using provisional ballots.[6] Further, voters who do not comply with HAVA's voter identification requirements are able to cast a provisional ballot.

The bottom line you ask?

I predict that McCain is going to lose by such a large margin, perhaps by as many as ten million votes, that no amount of Sad Sack rightwingextremenutjob hand waving will overcome the inevitable and all too real Obama victory.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #267 of 518
Thread Starter 
We often refer to eliminationist rhetoric from the right. Here's an hour on it by Bill Moyers (iTMS Podcast Link).
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #268 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

We often refer to eliminationist rhetoric from the right. Here's an hour on it by Bill Moyers (iTMS Podcast Link).

Hard to listen to.

It's an almost untold chapter in the ascendancy of the post Nixon right-- the mainstreaming of virulent extremism as a mechanism for tribal cohesion. Sure, you hear passing references to "no holds barred" or "blistering attacks" or "anything goes talk radio", but for the most part there has been polite silence around what these folks are actually saying, day in and day out.

It lays the groundwork for the bond between Palin and her crowds, so that she need not say the actual words (well, not all of them, anyway) to be understood.

Their time seems to be passing, however, for now. I predict they'll get even crazier as their ranks diminish and concentrate. And maybe, just maybe, whatever emerges from the ashes of the Republican Party will think twice before they decide to use these people again.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #269 of 518
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hard to listen to.

It's an almost untold chapter in the ascendancy of the post Nixon right-- the mainstreaming of virulent extremism as a mechanism for tribal cohesion. Sure, you hear passing references to "no holds barred" or "blistering attacks" or "anything goes talk radio", but for the most part there has been polite silence around what these folks are actually saying, day in and day out.

It lays the groundwork for the bond between Palin and her crowds, so that she need not say the actual words (well, not all of them, anyway) to be understood.

Their time seems to be passing, however, for now. I predict they'll get even crazier as their ranks diminish and concentrate. And maybe, just maybe, whatever emerges from the ashes of the Republican Party will think twice before they decide to use these people again.

What's going to be interesting is to see what happens to the massive talk radio/direct mail/FOX News infrastructure that took 30 years to build.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #270 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

What's going to be interesting is to see what happens to the massive talk radio/direct mail/FOX News infrastructure that took 30 years to build.

Yeah, I wonder about that too.

Since the whole edifice is built on OUTRAGE at how GODLESS LIBERALS are DESTROYING THE COUNTRY, I mean JESUS CHRIST MAYBE WE SHOULD KILL THEM ALL, it's not clear to me how they leverage that over into "building a new agenda driven majority with answers for how to govern" beyond GUMMIT SUX.

It's like they built this mighty Golum that can be counted on to DESTROY ALL ENEMIES but suddenly the villagers take to asking "How's that Golum at irrigation techniques? Because crop loss is really more of a pressing issue than marauders, these days."

And it really doesn't seem likely that they can tutor the thing to get all wonky, all of a sudden. I mean, being stupid was a feature, not a bug.

So I'm guessing they'll largely abandon it to wander the hinterlands gibbering and moaning, possibly call it in for the occasional strategic appearance, and get to work on a new, improved version. Maybe something like the "sophisticated man about town" Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein. Just don't startle it.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #271 of 518
For example, Palin longs to go "more rogue":

Quote:
Four Republicans close to Palin said she has decided increasingly to disregard the advice of the former Bush aides tasked to handle her, creating occasionally tense situations as she travels the country with them. Those Palin supporters, inside the campaign and out, said Palin blames her handlers for a botched rollout and a tarnished public image even as others in McCain's camp blame the pick of the relatively inexperienced Alaska governor, and her public performance, for McCain's decline.

"She's lost confidence in most of the people on the plane," said a senior Republican who speaks to Palin, referring to her campaign jet. He said Palin had begun to "go rogue" in some of her public pronouncements and decisions.

"I think she'd like to go more rogue," he said.

Having built their monster, it inevitably turns on them. Jeeze, don't these guys read?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #272 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hard to listen to.

It's an almost untold chapter in the ascendancy of the post Nixon right-- the mainstreaming of virulent extremism as a mechanism for tribal cohesion. Sure, you hear passing references to "no holds barred" or "blistering attacks" or "anything goes talk radio", but for the most part there has been polite silence around what these folks are actually saying, day in and day out.

It lays the groundwork for the bond between Palin and her crowds, so that she need not say the actual words (well, not all of them, anyway) to be understood.

Their time seems to be passing, however, for now. I predict they'll get even crazier as their ranks diminish and concentrate. And maybe, just maybe, whatever emerges from the ashes of the Republican Party will think twice before they decide to use these people again.

You just have to listen to the crowd chatter during a McCain or Palin rally versus an Obama or Biden rally.

If boos counted for actual votes the Republicans would win in a LANDSLIDE!

It just takes one rightwingextremenutjob to go off the reservation, excited in part from all these downright Rancorous Republican Rallies (RRR is the new KKK), to do the unthinkable.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #273 of 518
Here's something new for this thread.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...ors/index.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens vowed to fight his Monday conviction on federal corruption charges, a verdict he attributed to "repeated instances of prosecutorial misconduct."


Quote:
Stevens says, 'I am innocent' after corruption conviction Story Highlights
NEW: Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin calls verdict "a sad day" for home state

Sen. Stevens expressionless as verdict is read

Stevens guilty on all seven counts, could face up to 35 years in prison

Judge replaces juror who left Washington after her father died last week


Hmm? Is that the pitter patter of gasoline drops I hear?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #274 of 518
Notice Palin didn't ask for his resignation?

Inquiries and courts, they're for other people.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #275 of 518
post #276 of 518
2009 will be a cleansing year for the GOP. Good riddins to old garbage. Maybe for 2010 we'll be refreshed and ready to take advantage of another "toss the bums out" feeling when the country has had enough Change and Hope.

It wont be easy with the Tankers covering for Teh Change and after Obama revokes free speech via the "fairness" doctrine. Don't expect the NYT to howl in anger over that.
post #277 of 518
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

2009 will be a cleansing year for the GOP. Good riddins to old garbage. Maybe for 2010 we'll be refreshed and ready to take advantage of another "toss the bums out" feeling when the country has had enough Change and Hope.

It wont be easy with the Tankers covering for Teh Change and after Obama revokes free speech via the "fairness" doctrine. Don't expect the NYT to howl in anger over that.

And see, you were doing so well for three sentences, and then it just went off the rails into GOP base-land.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #278 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

It wont be easy with the Tankers covering for Teh Change and after Obama revokes free speech via the "fairness" doctrine. Don't expect the NYT to howl in anger over that.

Quote:
Presidential candidate Barack Obama has expressed his opposition to the Fairness Doctrine; an aide to Senator Obama described the debate surrounding it as "a distraction from the conversation we should be having about opening up the airwaves and modern communications to as many diverse viewpoints as possible," and cited Obama's support for other proposals such as media-ownership caps and network neutrality.

~ Wikipedia

Obama Does Not Support Return of Fairness Doctrine

Next?
post #279 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

2009 will be a cleansing year for the GOP. Good riddins to old garbage. Maybe for 2010 we'll be refreshed and ready to take advantage of another "toss the bums out" feeling when the country has had enough Change and Hope.

It wont be easy with the Tankers covering for Teh Change and after Obama revokes free speech via the "fairness" doctrine. Don't expect the NYT to howl in anger over that.

So it'll be back to the ol' Republicans against Blowjobs?

The state of the economy, environment and security bears witness to Republican priorities.
post #280 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

And see, you were doing so well for three sentences, and then it just went off the rails into GOP base-land.

Yeah, that's the problem for the GOP: there will inevitably come the "toss the bums out" election cycle, but if they show up with the Palin/Freeper ticket they'll just come off as irritating lunatics.

It seems unlikely that we'll see the kind of peace and prosperity, any time soon, that makes cultural cage matches seem like an appealing way to elect a president. For that to work, you have to have an underlying sense that things are pretty much functioning properly, so you don't have to think much about what "government" actually entails.

It's an irony of the Bush administration that they managed to fuck up enough stuff to make most Americans have a newfound regard for big gummit. It's like we put adolescents in charge that were pretty sure all those stupid rules and grownups were just in the way, and down the road a bit it turns out if you don't take out the garbage and pay the bills and get the oil changed on the car, everything breaks. Who would have thought?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Where Does the GOP Find These People?