or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Where Does the GOP Find These People?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where Does the GOP Find These People? - Page 9

post #321 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Post removed to save an inevitable infraction.

Still came through on e-mail notification of a new post.

The last paragraph was amusing not only for what trumptman did, but in his arrogance thinking it was a good idea to do it.

And he called me a stalker.
post #322 of 518
[CENTER]

The White T Song



White T



White T Album Cover #1



White T Album Cover #2



White T Album Back Cover
[/CENTER]
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #323 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

[CENTER]

The White T Song



White T



White T Album Cover #1



White T Album Cover #2



White T Album Back Cover
[/CENTER]

Isn't it amazing with the republicans! I didn't believe it was possible to shoot ones self in the foot multiple times and then still try to stand. It's the " why? " they couldn't figure out ahead of time this would be in extremely bad taste and not reflect on them in a positive manner that's so amazing here.

But you know it speaks volumes of the mentality there.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #324 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Clearly the slide downhill into Republicanism was an early symptom of Alzheimer's.



I know, and his rebuttal later on was shear genius too. Gotta hand it to him, those Hollywood years came in handy.

Well there you have it. Words of wisdom from the president they hold so dear!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #325 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Interesting that you note all things Shanklin and the add in a photo of Al Jolson without properly attributing it. Guilt by association much?

Sad, very sad.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #326 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You appear not to understand that the term was coined by Spike Lee and is a form of cultural criticism.

The song appears to take the perspective of someone who is full black complaining about someone half black getting more trust, benefits and acceptance by white America aka making that cultural criticism. That is not a new or controversial position either in fact it is also a position Spike Lee dealt with in School Daze.

Finally the song notes "the man from the LA Paper" because a column addressed these points at length as well. It asked what is white American really thinking about when they are voting for Barack Obama. That point again, is legitimate.

How is noting that racist? The points are completely legitimate. Noting that black achievement is often tied to lightening of skin color is legitimate as well. Many articles addressed the fact that Obama's "blackness" was not from slave ancestry but direct from Africa and as such he was not the same as others with true historical grievance. The entire early campaign (the same time frame of the song in question) had hundreds of articles examining Obama's "blackness" and the nature of it, whether it would help or hurt, whether he would gain acceptance from African-Americans when his lineage was not the same, etc.

All the points are legit and even the sources being lampooned as complaining are legit. You just don't like the source or maybe you weren't aware of the source. The message of the song is simple. Americans haven't given up racism, they are just voting for a friendly, accessible half-black man that will solve all their problems.

I can't believe you're defending this.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #327 of 518
Don't worry North, when you make fun of the KKK, I'll note that making for of them doesn't make you racist then too.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #328 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Don't worry North, when you make fun of the KKK, I'll note that making for of them doesn't make you racist then too.

Yes, making fun of a racist organisation does not mean you are a racist. You're absolutely right.

Defending a racist song by pretending context is irrelevant, and that Shanklin singing about a 'magic negro' to the tune of 'Puff the Magic Dragon' it is exactly the same as Spike Lee discussing racial politics, on the other hand, does make you racist. Trumptman.
post #329 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Interesting that you start with a photo of Al Jolson in blackface and then note an example of Shanklin wherein it can be rightly seen as a perfect example of White T in blackface. That isn't guilt by association now is it?

Sad, very sad, but the truth.

tftfy

White T, impersonating a black man, Al Sharpton, performed in the form of a song chock full of black stereotypes, performed for (or before) an overwhelmingly white audience.

BTW, when is White T going to perform this song at the Apollo Theater?

I need to know, because I'll have several truckloads of rotten eggs for all those in attendance.

So yes, that photo of Al Jolson is just so totally completely incontrovertibly appropriate.

Blackface:

Quote:
Blackface, in the narrow sense, is a style of theatrical makeup that originated in the United States, used to take on the appearance of certain archetypes of American racism, especially those of the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified coon".[1] Blackface in the broader sense includes similarly stereotyped performances even when they do not involve blackface makeup.

.
.
.

Stereotypes embodied in the stock characters of blackface minstrelsy played a significant role in cementing and proliferating racist images, attitudes and perceptions worldwide. In some quarters, the caricatures that were the legacy of blackface persist to the present day and are a cause of ongoing controversy.

By the mid-20th century, changing attitudes about race and racism effectively ended the prominence of blackface makeup used in performance in the U.S. and elsewhere. It remains in relatively limited use as a theatrical device, mostly outside the U.S., and is more commonly used today as social commentary or satire.

[CENTER]
Satire of racism? Who decides? The oppressed or the oppressors?[/CENTER]
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #330 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Yes, making fun of a racist organisation does not mean you are a racist. You're absolutely right.

Defending a racist song by pretending context is irrelevant, and that Shanklin singing about a 'magic negro' to the tune of 'Puff the Magic Dragon' it is exactly the same as Spike Lee discussing racial politics, on the other hand, does make you racist. Trumptman.

Actually it doesn't and the fact that the only thing you have left is that is desperate and sad on your part.

You can't even fathom the context. You just see the word negro and jerk that knee. Keep the unthinking coming man because it reveals reams about the source.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #331 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

tftfy

White T, impersonating a black man, Al Sharpton, performed in the form of a song chock full of black stereotypes, performed for (or before) an overwhelmingly white audience.

BTW, when is White T going to perform this song at the Apollo Theater?

I need to know, because I'll have several truckloads of rotten eggs for all those in attendance.

So yes, that photo of Al Jolson is just so totally completely incontrovertibly appropriate.

Blackface:

Hey, call me when you can quote me properly and stop engaging in hate speech.

You want to go around calling people whitey, then you are the racist yourself.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #332 of 518
The Middle East is about to erupt into open war and the leader of the GOP, the sitting POTUS, decides to stay on vacation. Where have we heard this one before?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...voids-the.html

Gotta love the guy. Didn't he say he was going to fix the ME problems?

How many more days?

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #333 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Actually it doesn't and the fact that the only thing you have left is that is desperate and sad on your part.

You can't even fathom the context. You just see the word negro and jerk that knee. Keep the unthinking coming man because it reveals reams about the source.

I understand perfectly what the term 'magic negro' was coined for. I understand the historical processes that affect American understandings of what it means to be 'black'.

And I would like to assert that when Rush Limbaugh plays 'Barack the Magic Negro' and when the RNC candidate Chip Saltsman distributes it as a Christmas joke, they're not really interested in contributing to the discourse on race in America and when you defend this song, you're not either.

You're just not cool on Barack Obama and the fact of his African ancestry provides you with some convenient ammunition.

Your defence of this song is cynical and insincere, and can only be made from a position of racist privilege since you haven't thought through what it might mean to be listening to this song if any of your grandparents or great grandparents were actually slaves.
post #334 of 518
Well you gotta love the president-elect who is following his fine example by polishing up his abs in Hawaii. That transition is hard work.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #335 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

I understand perfectly what the term 'magic negro' was coined for. I understand the historical processes that affect American understandings of what it means to be 'black'.

Actually I would contend you have a horrible understanding of the term, what it means to be black and absolutely no understanding of color and how it has been used for oppression in this hemisphere.

Quote:
And I would like to assert that when Rush Limbaugh plays 'Barack the Magic Negro' and when the RNC candidate Chip Saltsman distributes it as a Christmas joke, they're not really interested in contributing to the discourse on race in America and when you defend this song, you're not either.

With the lack of understanding you have above, and a desire to deal in caricatures instead of thoughts and discussions, that reaction is completely predictable and also wrong.

Quote:
You're just not cool on Barack Obama and the fact of his African ancestry provides you with some convenient ammunition.

Your defence of this song is cynical and insincere, and can only be made from a position of racist privilege since you haven't thought through what it might mean to be listening to this song if any of your grandparents or great grandparents were actually slaves.

You assert that I have privilege with no proof other than my presumed skin color. Please tell me my ancestry since you so clearly know and understand it.

Lay it out there for me please. Show me what you know beyond the caricatures in your head.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #336 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Hey, call me when you can quote me properly and stop engaging in hate speech.

You want to go around calling people whitey, then you are the racist yourself.

You or anyone else can call me White T.

You or anyone else can call me Cracker.

You or anyone else are not allowed to engage in an ad hominem attack here in PO.

Quoted for the record.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #337 of 518
I see your reasoning there. Calling someone a disparaging name isn't an ad-hom, but noting the behavior is an ad-hom.

These are strange days indeed. Please quote this for the record. I or anyone else cannot go around calling you whitey or cracker on these forums. Please go look up what an ad-hom is and learn it is about attempting to discredit and argument by attacking the man.

Here let me help you...

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject.

So you know... when you say you know someone would believe or act a certain way because of their ancestry (Hello Hassan) that would be an ad-hom. When you say because someone is white, the song must be racist when the content discussed is not, that is an ad-hom.

Every supposed counter-argument to this song so far has been an ad-hom. No one has show how a person noting white folks might be more accepting of someone half-white rather than full black is racist against black folks. It is noting racism, not being racist.

That isn't a racist thing to say, but a very valid thing to note even if it is being noted with satire.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #338 of 518
The original Magic Negro...

Quote:
"(The scene) almost was not there. I said, 'I'll tell you what, I'll make this movie for you if you give me your absolute guarantee when he slaps me I slap him right back and you guarantee that it will play in every version of this movie." "I try not to do things that are against nature. I stayed away from films that didn't speak well of my values. I could only say yes to films if I passed it by my dad. I passed it by my father because I did not want ever to make a film that would not reflect positively on my father's life." - Sydney Poitier

Eric Endicott: Gillespie?
Chief Gillespie: Yeah.
Eric Endicott: You saw it.
Chief Gillespie: I saw it.
Eric Endicott: Well, what are you gonna do about it?
Chief Gillespie: I don't know.
Eric Endicott: I'll remember that.
[to Tibbs]
Eric Endicott: There was a time when I could've had you shot.

Can't we all just get along?
post #339 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I see your reasoning there. Calling someone a disparaging name isn't an ad-hom, but noting the behavior is an ad-hom.

These are strange days indeed. Please quote this for the record. I or anyone else cannot go around calling you whitey or cracker on these forums. Please go look up what an ad-hom is and learn it is about attempting to discredit and argument by attacking the man.

Here let me help you...

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject.

So you know... when you say you know someone would believe or act a certain way because of their ancestry (Hello Hassan) that would be an ad-hom. When you say because someone is white, the song must be racist when the content discussed is not, that is an ad-hom.

Every supposed counter-argument to this song so far has been an ad-hom. No one has show how a person noting white folks might be more accepting of someone half-white rather than full black is racist against black folks. It is noting racism, not being racist.

That isn't a racist thing to say, but a very valid thing to note even if it is being noted with satire.

Calling someone who is not a member of PO a racist, which BTW I didn't do, is allowed per the PO posting guidelines.

Calling someone who is a member of PO a racist, which BTW you did do, is not allowed per the PO posting guidelines.

Your definition of ad hominem above, fits your use of calling me a racist, to a T.

I provided ample evidence of the term blackface, and it's classification in the current instance and context.

A white impersonating a black, is by definition blackface, figuratively and literally speaking.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #340 of 518
You want to go around calling people whitey, then you are the racist yourself.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #341 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You want to go around calling people whitey, then you are the racist yourself.

I called an individual who is not a member of PO, White T.

I did not call an individual who is a member of PO, White T, or Cracker, or T, or a racist (either directly or indirectly).

You are sidestepping the argument put forth, that White T is engaging in blackface.

Quoted for the record.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #342 of 518
Dear Nick.

I'm a historian, of sorts; writing about history is my job. Recently I've been writing (and reading) a lot about the African roots of American culture, particularly what are called 'retentions' of African cultures (I spent several months sorting through the Library of Congress Slave Narratives earlier this year; interesting stuff.) I also grew up in a heavily politicised house engaged in a very direct fashion in the struggle for southern African civil rights; I first went to Africa when I was eleven, I think, to Kenya, where my uncle was living in exile. I grew up with the subject of race, and racial politics, and religion, and the consequences of political violence and oppression in most direct ways. That's enough.

The song you're defending was recently explained as OK by this RNC man because it was 'a joke.' So we don't have to pretend it's intended to be a serious contribution to the American discourse on race. It's ammunition against someone whose politics you find distasteful and whose African ancestry is grist to the mill for the deeply cynical.

The only people singing, distributing and defending this song are white conservatives with no previous interest in the resolution of problems arising from race in America.

Obama might be only 'half-black', as you elegantly put it, but that's black enough for you to question the intentions of the people who voted for him. You can do this because, for you, Obama's obvious competence and intelligence take second place to the fact of his ancestry.

Your defence of this song is cynical, and founded on racism.
post #343 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

I called an individual who is not a member of PO, White T.

I did not call an individual who is a member of PO, White T, or Cracker, or T, or a racist (either directly or indirectly).

You are sidestepping the argument put forth, that White T is engaging in blackface.

Quoted for the record.

I'm not sidestepping it. Your argument against him is an ad-hom. It is a logical fallacy. Trying to prove racism by engaging in racism doesn't help prove your point any better.

Noting that you are engaging in racism to try to prove racism isn't an ad-hom. It addresses your argument (or lack thereof) and not you personally.

You note that the forum rules do not prevent you from ad-homing Paul Shanklin. That is correct however if you treat Paul Shanklin in a racist manner and I note that, it is not a personal attack on you. It is addressing your argument and not you personally. The fact your argument is a fallacy is not my fault.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #344 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm not sidestepping it. Your argument against him is an ad-hom. It is a logical fallacy. Trying to prove racism by engaging in racism doesn't help prove your point any better.

Noting that you are engaging in racism to try to prove racism isn't an ad-hom. It addresses your argument (or lack thereof) and not you personally.

You note that the forum rules do not prevent you from ad-homing Paul Shanklin. That is correct however if you treat Paul Shanklin in a racist manner and I note that, it is not a personal attack on you. It is addressing your argument and not you personally. The fact your argument is a fallacy is not my fault.

I've said all I'm allowed to say here in PO without getting a permanent ban.

That White T is engaging in blackface, that is an incontrovertible, undeniable, unmistakable, unmitigated fact.

Noting that someone is engaging in blackface, is, in and of itself, not calling someone racist or engaging in racism, but White T is engaging in blackface, and that's a simple cold hard fact.

What I call White T is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #345 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Dear Nick.

I'm a historian, of sorts; writing about history is my job. Recently I've been writing (and reading) a lot about the African roots of American culture, particularly what are called 'retentions' of African cultures (I spent several months sorting through the Library of Congress Slave Narratives earlier this year; interesting stuff.) I also grew up in a heavily politicised house engaged in a very direct fashion in the struggle for southern African civil rights; I first went to Africa when I was eleven, I think, to Kenya, where my uncle was living in exile. I grew up with the subject of race, and racial politics, and religion, and the consequences of political violence and oppression in most direct ways. That's enough.

The song you're defending was recently explained as OK by this RNC man because it was 'a joke.' So we don't have to pretend it's intended to be a serious contribution to the American discourse on race. It's ammunition against someone whose politics you find distasteful and whose African ancestry is grist to the mill for the deeply cynical.

The only people singing, distributing and defending this song are white conservatives with no previous interest in the resolution of problems arising from race in America.

Obama might be only 'half-black', as you elegantly put it, but that's black enough for you to question the intentions of the people who voted for him. You can do this because, for you, Obama's obvious competence and intelligence take second place to the fact of his ancestry.

Your defence of this song is cynical, and founded on racism.

Dear Hassan,

I don't care about you, your "of sorts" claimed expertise, or your family background. I do not care about those because none of those points makes an argument right or wrong.

The Republican Party was founded on opposition to slavery


The reality, that you don't even know that very basic fact means you are drawing conclusions from prejudices and not from historical fact. I don't need a long summation as to why you believe I draw my conclusions from prejudices you believe I have nor do I need reasoning as to why I should accept your own prejudices over facts. I just need arguments that address facts and not who my ancestors were, who your ancestors were, and what you know I must believe and act on in my heart as a result of those things.

Thanks,

Nick 'Trumptman' Surname you know but we don't know how or why even though it isn't personal.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #346 of 518
Well I did some maintainance on my computer last night and cleared the cookies from the forum and had to log in again and guess what I find? This must be similar to the time trumptman compared me to a homeless person. But those were during the old rules so that makes it ok huh?

Don't worry trumptman everything's back on again. I can only take so much.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #347 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

I've said all I'm allowed to say here in PO without getting a permanent ban.

That White T is engaging in blackface, that is an incontrovertible, undeniable, unmistakable, unmitigated fact.

Noting that someone is engaging in blackface, is, in and of itself, not calling someone racist or engaging in racism, but White T is engaging in blackface, and that's a simple cold hard fact.

Sounds like someone here has realized their argument is being addressed and not attacked.

Aside from simply imitating Al Sharpton, what racial archetypes do you think Paul Shanklin is dealing in? Is he portraying Sharpton as a lazy plantation slave, a dullard, over-sexualized, please do tell.

In what manner could Shanklin imitate Sharpton for a parody and not have you declare it to be blackface? Is what he did for this song any different than what he did imitating anyone else for any other parody on his album or albums as he has done several?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #348 of 518
I gave you some family nonsense because you suggested I wasn't qualified to talk about matters of race. I'm happy to leave it there.

Rush Limbaugh was not a founder member of the Republican Party. Neither was this Chip Saltzman, neither was this Paul Shanklin, and neither were you.

Notwithstanding the history of your party, the only people singing, distributing and defending this song are white conservatives with no previous interest in the resolution of problems arising from race in America. For all of you, Obama's obvious competence and intelligence take second place to the fact of his ancestry and give you an excuse to question the intentions of the people who voted for him.

The un-stated and cleverly deniable aim is to question his legitimacy while either excusing the song as 'a joke' or saying it saying 'it raises legitimate questions'.

And it's still cynical, and defending it's still racist.

(And for the record, I know your surname because immediately after I learned that you'd stuck up an entire 'satirical' blog complete with fake profile under Shawn J's real, full name I googled for you and your technorati profile came up on the first page, with your real, full name on it. I happened to remember it.)
post #349 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

In what manner could Shanklin imitate Sharpton for a parody and not have you declare it to be blackface?

Blackface is blackface.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #350 of 518
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/...ong/index.html

Quote:
GOP reaction divided over controversial Obama song

Well divided or not I think this is disgusting. This doesn't earn the Republican party points or make me want to vote for them. I can imagine the effect is similar with many.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #351 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Blackface is blackface.

Here is one back at you.

racist-adjective
1. \tbased on racial intolerance; "racist remarks"
2. \tdiscriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion


You don't get to define blackface as you see fit. You know it is a parody where he is merely imitating Al Sharpton just as he does Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Trent Lott, etc. He does not engage in racial archetypes and thus it is not blackface. You can't show how it meets the criteria.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #352 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

(And for the record, I know your surname because immediately after I learned that you'd stuck up an entire 'satirical' blog complete with fake profile under Shawn J's real, full name I googled for you and your technorati profile came up on the first page, with your real, full name on it. I happened to remember it.)

This is what I referred to earlier in this thread.

Sad in a way that someone would be vindictive like that and then claim that some here make it all about him.
post #353 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

I gave you some family nonsense because you suggested I wasn't qualified to talk about matters of race. I'm happy to leave it there.

Of course you are happy to leave it there. You declare that I must believe in x manner because of who you think I am and then want to justify it. You should leave it there because it is crap reasoning and a personal attack.

Quote:
Rush Limbaugh was not a founder member of the Republican Party. Neither was this Chip Saltzman, neither was this Paul Shanklin, and neither were you.

Neither were you, Franksargent, your family or the Democrats.

Quote:
Notwithstanding the history of your party, the only people singing, distributing and defending this song are white conservatives with no previous interest in the resolution of problems arising from race in America.

I'll be happy to see your proof of that. I'm sure notwithstanding is pretty much a nice way of saying, "please ignore the entire basis of why this party was founded so I can continue to paint it as being the opposite of that." How about some more recent examples of your historical knowledge. Which party voted in larger percentages to support the Civil Rights Act? Who's global warming daddy helped filibuster that act? Which party has a former member of the KKK as their elder statesman of the Senate?

Keep digging.

Quote:
For all of you, Obama's obvious competence and intelligence take second place to the fact of his ancestry and give you an excuse to question the intentions of the people who voted for him.

I'll be happy to see proof of that as well. From the beginning I've argued that it is easier to knock Obama using his policies more than any other criteria. Folks like yourself have argued that we don't have to examine what "HOPE and "CHANGE" mean because he is just so darn cute and smart.

I've got a few hundred posts that disprove what you just stated.

Quote:
The un-stated and cleverly deniable aim is to question his legitimacy while either excusing the song as 'a joke' or saying it saying 'it raises legitimate questions'.

Question his legitimacy? The only thing it questions is whether his ability to garner votes indicates true racial progress. It doesn't question his credentials at all. That isn't questioning him but whether whites are really off the hook for proof of racial progress when they will accept him but not other blacks.

Quote:
And it's still cynical, and defending it's still racist.

Wrong and my ancestors and your ancestors still don't prove that point.

Quote:
(And for the record, I know your surname because immediately after I learned that you'd stuck up an entire 'satirical' blog complete with fake profile under Shawn J's real, full name I googled for you and your technorati profile came up on the first page, with your real, full name on it. I happened to remember it.[

Thanks for sharing.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #354 of 518
Fine, Nick. You win. I'm finding it difficult to follow the logic in this exchange and I don't recognise my intentions or arguments in your responses, so we'll leave it there.
post #355 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Here is one back at you.

racist-adjective
1. based on racial intolerance; "racist remarks"
2. discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion

You don't get to define blackface as you see fit. You know it is a parody where he is merely imitating Al Sharpton just as he does Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Trent Lott, etc. He does not engage in racial archetypes and thus it is not blackface. You can't show how it meets the criteria.

Blackface is blackface.

No getting around that one.

Replacing "th" with "d" is a racial stereotype.

Point of fact, anyone would have to know it was in fact a parody a priori.

Even if one knows the full background and context a priori, this does not mean that, or change the fact that, what is being portrayed is, in fact, blackface.

One can also engage in whiteface, or redface, or yellowface, or brownface, and in all situations that is what it is.

The onus is upon you to prove that what was done was not blackface, in any way, shape, or form.

In other words, prove a negative.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #356 of 518
Yes Frank, keep stating A is B because you said A is B five times already and you don't have to actually prove any claims. Then you can go around tossing out some more racist terms and complain you are being attacked when people note it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #357 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Yes Frank, keep stating A is B because you said A is B five times already and you don't have to actually prove any claims. Then you can go around tossing out some more racist terms and complain you are being attacked when people note it.

Oh, I see.

Can't prove a negative.

Glad to hear you admit it.

Go back and listen to the Barack The Magic Negro song again.

Replacing "th" with "d" is a racial stereotype.

The proof is right there in the aforementioned song for all to hear.

So, for example, if Obama did this, he too, would be engaging in blackface, since his normal speaking voice does not naturally display this dialect.

Blackface is blackface.

No getting around that one.

I win.

TYVM!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #358 of 518
I think Yglesias sums it up best:

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/ar...egro_party.php

Quote:
One of the distinguishing characteristics of modern American conservatism is that it believes in a curious concept of “color blindness.” In this view, racism is bad. But absent truly egregious behavior, it’s not something you’d really get all that upset about nor is it something you should be really attuned do. But so-called “political correctness” — meaning something like anti-racism that’s gone too far — is a really serious problem. Any hint of political correctness is worth getting upset about. And the views of actual members of racial minorities as to what is and isn’t racist should be completely discounted. Rather than saying that the prudent and decent white person will steer a mile clear of racist activity — sending out “Barack the Magic Negro” CDs, for example — the best course of action is to deliberately drive straight at the line and then get really upset at anyone who says you’ve crossed it.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #359 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I think Yglesias sums it up best:

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/ar...egro_party.php

I think what sums it up best are the comments underneath where the people reading him state pretty much what I stated.

Obviously all the people reading Yglesias are all just right-wing blogger meme creators!

Quote:
While I agree about the optics of this issue and the political stupidity of the Republicans, I really think this is a kind of an un-gaffe gaffe. People who think Barack the Magic Negro is prima facie racist seem to be unfamiliar with the Magic Negro concept, which was popularized by Spike Lee. The song itself seems to me a pretty legitimate satire of certain apects of Obamas public persona (not all derived from Obama himself): the messianic thing, the clean and articulate thing, the absolution for slavery thing.

Quote:
I gather this is unrelated to the phrase magic negro used to describe the recurring character in bad movies the black person who comes into a white persons/familys lives and teaches them, er, good stuff and helps them fix their problems. Often played by Morgan Freeman.

In any case, it doesnt strike me as racism. The fallacious notion of a magical other who will help us make everything better is well-established in this country & I dont see any harm in talking about it, satirizing it, etc.

The internetz.... I controlz it!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #360 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I think what sums it up best are the comments underneath where the people reading him state pretty much what I stated.

Obviously all the people reading Yglesias are all just right-wing blogger meme creators!





The internetz.... I controlz it!

D'oh!

If anyone here did the actual deep background checks, like I did several days ago, this whole meme would be so full of holes, I wouldn't know where to begin.

For instance;

David Ehrenstein

Here Come Those Tired Old Tits Again

Obama's gospel mistake

Warrengate: Obama's First Fuckup as President Elect?

Also known as modus operandi or offender profiling.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Where Does the GOP Find These People?