or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Where Does the GOP Find These People?

Where Does the GOP Find These People? - Page 10

post #361 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I think what sums it up best are the comments underneath where the people reading him state pretty much what I stated.

Obviously all the people reading Yglesias are all just right-wing blogger meme creators!

The internetz.... I controlz it!

I think the commenters are missing the point Yglesias is driving at. I don't question that the work is satire, and my interpretation is that Yglesias doesn't either.

At the same time, that satire does "drive straight at the line." That's fine too, because that is what satirists of all stripes do. The issue really is the use of it by Chip Saltsman as a vehicle through which to promote his campaign for RNC chair.

There's a world of difference between a satirist driving straight at the line, and a republican using it to promote their election as chairman of what is supposedly a national party interested in obtaining African American votes.

Imagine if Howard Dean had distributed gift baskets with an equivalent tune from the left side of the aisle about evangelicals or rednecks or something? Hannity and O'Reily might have had a aneurysm on air, and there likely would have been a PO thread dedicated to the subject, and how it was evidence that liberals are all full of hate.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #362 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I think the commenters are missing the point Yglesias is driving at. I don't question that the work is satire, and my interpretation is that Yglesias doesn't either.

At the same time, that satire does "drive straight at the line." That's fine too, because that is what satirists of all stripes do. The issue really is the use of it by Chip Saltsman as a vehicle through which to promote his campaign for RNC chair.

There's a world of difference between a satirist driving straight at the line, and a republican using it to promote their election as chairman of what is supposedly a national party interested in obtaining African American votes.

Imagine if Howard Dean had distributed gift baskets with an equivalent tune from the left side of the aisle about evangelicals or rednecks or something? Hannity and O'Reily might have had a aneurysm on air, and there likely would have been a PO thread dedicated to the subject, and how it was evidence that liberals are all full of hate.

I have a dream that someday folks like yourself will see that people who disagree aren't "missing the point" they just get it and come to a different conclusion.

It is possible for someone to know what you know and not do what you do.

The point with the Saltsman argument is that guilt by association is fine when liberals want to use it to paint Republicans as racists, but not during any other time.

The album contains 41 tracks. Worse stuff is posted daily on HuffPost, Daily Kos and we get hours of satire a day from the left. That particular track is no different than the 40 others. If it were then I would entertain some of the points made, but it is clear Shanklin has a formula and he doesn't deviate from it for this song. Much like how Obama found Hillary racist and Hillary found Obama sexist, I'm sure this is probably coming from one of the other RNC candidates to try to get a leg up on the competition.

The outcome Shanklin will probably sell a million more CD's so good job.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #363 of 518
Quote:

I have a dream that someday folks like yourself will see that people who disagree aren't "missing the point" they just get it and come to a different conclusion.

It is possible for someone to know what you know and not do what you do.

The point with the Saltsman argument is that guilt by association is fine when liberals want to use it to paint Republicans as racists, but not during any other time.

The album contains 41 tracks. Worse stuff is posted daily on HuffPost, Daily Kos and we get hours of satire a day from the left. That particular track is no different than the 40 others. If it were then I would entertain some of the points made, but it is clear Shanklin has a formula and he doesn't deviate from it for this song. Much like how Obama found Hillary racist and Hillary found Obama sexist, I'm sure this is probably coming from one of the other RNC candidates to try to get a leg up on the competition.

The outcome Shanklin will probably sell a million more CD's so good job.

So that's why the song is titled David Ehrensteins BARACK THE MAGIC NEGRO and not just BARACK THE MAGIC NEGRO, because, you know, that makes all the difference in the world.

The only song of the 41 that has quotes around the song title prefaced with someone's case sensitive name. As if to say, it's not my fault that I made up this song. No, it's used as an excuse to make up this song, to pass blame on to somewone else, even though they go right ahead and include the song on the CD themselves anyway.

We are talking about blackface, are we not?

Artman, where's that All in the Family clip of Sammy Davis, Jr. doing his best whiteface?

Personally, I find someone doing whiteface more offensive than someone doing blackface.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #364 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Artman, where's that All in the Family clip of Sammy Davis, Jr. doing his best whiteface?

Wish granted...

Interesting...

Quote:
The longest sustained audience laughter in the show's history occurred in the famous episode-ending scene in which guest star Sammy Davis, Jr. plays himself. Archie is working as a cabdriver. Davis leaves a briefcase behind in his taxi and goes to the Bunker home to pick it up. Davis asks for a photograph with Archie. At the moment of the photograph Davis, after hearing some of Archie's racist remarks, suddenly kisses a stunned Archie on the cheek. The ensuing laughter went on for so long that it had to be severely edited for network broadcast, as Carroll O'Connor still had one line ("Well, what the hell — he said it was in his contract!") to deliver after the kiss. (The line is usually cut in syndication.)

Wikipedia

Also, IMO, Davis' role in this situation was (though some may find hokey) very well done, and another step that helped bridge the divide on all racial lines.
post #365 of 518
Quote:

You are not addressing the point I made. I'm not making a guilt by association argument because Saltsman is not guilty of anything. He pushes the envelope with satire, and I am perfectly fine with that. I repeat: I have no particular objection to Saltsman's CD, and you seem to be under the misapprehension that I do.

My point is that I assume republicans would like to increase their base of appeal. Someone running for RNC chair using satire that pushes the racial envelope is not going to help broaden that base.

Stubborn refusal to recognize such a reality is not likely to help Republican electoral woes. I would prefer the republican party not turn into a marginalized regional party, but this sort of thing doesn't help.

What people post at HuffPo or Kos post is not an appropriate analogy. I said in my previous post, what would be an appropriate analogy is if in 2005 Howard Dean had compiled a sort of "best of" collection of inflammatory HuffPo and Kos posting making fun of evangelicals or something like that and included in a gift basket promoting his candidacy for DNC chair.

At any rate, this is the sort of thing that will be forgotten by next week.

P.S. Who are people like me?
post #366 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The Middle East is about to erupt into open war and the leader of the GOP, the sitting POTUS, decides to stay on vacation. Where have we heard this one before?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...voids-the.html

Gotta love the guy. Didn't he say he was going to fix the ME problems?

How many more days?

It's not the US's place to police the whole world... we're bankrupt thanks to our "endless war" policies and involvement in the problems with our various global "friends".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #367 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Wish granted...

Interesting...

Wikipedia

Also, IMO, Davis' role in this situation was (though some may find hokey) very well done, and another step that helped bridge the divide on all racial lines.

It's been a long time since I've seen that and my sides still hurt!

They just don't make shows like that anymore. And they should.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #368 of 518
Quote:

All the people outside trumptman's ever enclosing bubble.
post #369 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's been a long time since I've seen that and my sides still hurt!

They just don't make shows like that anymore. And they should.

It would be a rare thing indeed if a show that pulls no punches could find it's way onto broadcast television. The TV entertainment landscape is a desolate nuclear desert.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #370 of 518
RNC Issues Apology to Negroes

Quote:
In the statement, the RNC ripped Saltsman's song, calling it "tone-deaf, unacceptable, and offensive to every negro in the country."

"We do not want one ill-considered song parody to create the wrong impression," the RNC statement read. "The Republican Party has always been, and will always be, the friend of the negro."

Quote:
"It has come to our attention that we misused a word in our first apology," the RNC statement read. "We should have capitalized 'Negro.'"

post #371 of 518
post #372 of 518
Quote:

You are not addressing the point I made. I'm not making a guilt by association argument because Saltsman is not guilty of anything. He pushes the envelope with satire, and I am perfectly fine with that. I repeat: I have no particular objection to Saltsman's CD, and you seem to be under the misapprehension that I do.

My point is that I assume republicans would like to increase their base of appeal. Someone running for RNC chair using satire that pushes the racial envelope is not going to help broaden that base.

I'm going to disagree. I think every time the Republicans give in to false claims of racial insensitivity, they empower those who make those claims and also give them further justification to make even more outrageous claims. Bush got 10% of the black vote. I think McCain got 4%. Black voters line up well in terms of moral views, church going, etc to Republicans. What the GOP needs to do is stop trying to place offense from their heels, call bullshit what is happens to be and go forward.

Quote:
Stubborn refusal to recognize such a reality is not likely to help Republican electoral woes. I would prefer the republican party not turn into a marginalized regional party, but this sort of thing doesn't help.

I suspect that the rampant inflation that will soon arrive will do much to re-establish true fiscal conservatism. If it doesn't, if we have given in and can no longer muster the will to do such things then we deserve to fall into the dustbin of history. Party or no party, nation or no nation.

Quote:
What people post at HuffPo or Kos post is not an appropriate analogy. I said in my previous post, what would be an appropriate analogy is if in 2005 Howard Dean had compiled a sort of "best of" collection of inflammatory HuffPo and Kos posting making fun of evangelicals or something like that and included in a gift basket promoting his candidacy for DNC chair.

At any rate, this is the sort of thing that will be forgotten by next week.

Howard Dean has been caught in many a gaffe.
His gaffes apparently got him the office after squandering the momentum he had for the actual nomination.

post #373 of 518
Quote:

I'm going to disagree. I think every time the Republicans give in to false claims of racial insensitivity, they empower those who make those claims and also give them further justification to make even more outrageous claims. Bush got 10% of the black vote. I think McCain got 4%. Black voters line up well in terms of moral views, church going, etc to Republicans. What the GOP needs to do is stop trying to place offense from their heels, call bullshit what is happens to be and go forward.

All it should take is a few more satires about negroes and the GOP should be set, then!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #374 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

All it should take is a few more satires about Negroes and the GOP should be set, then!

tftfy, according to the RNC anyway.

Don't worry, I would have done the same if it wasn't for the RNC's 2nd PR statement on this issue.
post #375 of 518
Ok, ok. In all seriousness, I think Nick's plan --

Quote:
every time the Republicans give in to false claims of racial insensitivity, they empower those who make those claims and also give them further justification to make even more outrageous claims. Bush got 10% of the black vote. I think McCain got 4%. Black voters line up well in terms of moral views, church going, etc to Republicans. What the GOP needs to do is stop trying to place offense from their heels, call bullshit what is happens to be and go forward.

-- is a totally awesome way for the GOP to come back after the 2008 elections.
post #376 of 518
Quote:

Ok, ok. In all seriousness, I think Nick's plan --

-- is a totally awesome way for the GOP to come back after the 2008 elections.

[CENTER]

A Bridge To Nowhere[/CENTER]
post #377 of 518
It's a bridge to the GOP as a regional party.
post #378 of 518

Oh how far they've fallen.

Say what you want about history, but it is a fact that the Republican Party of today is hugely influenced by racist thoughts and beliefs. The Republican Party of today is proven to be the party of spending. The Republican Party of today is proven to be all war, all the time.

It's time to ask yourself why you're a Republican today. Is it because your ideals match today's Republicanism, or is it out of non-thinking, lazy habit, combined with an irrational hatred for the opposition, even when it's clear that the opposition is more forward thinking, honest and intelligent than the Republican Party of today?

Why are you still a Republican when today's Republicans are such an unmitigated failure?
post #379 of 518
Conservatism cannot fail. It can only be failed.
post #380 of 518
Quote:

It's a bridge to the GOP as a regional party.

People were declaring the same thing about the Democrats in 2004. Things can change quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Oh how far they've fallen.

Say what you want about history, but it is a fact that the Republican Party of today is hugely influenced by racist thoughts and beliefs. The Republican Party of today is proven to be the party of spending. The Republican Party of today is proven to be all war, all the time.

It's time to ask yourself why you're a Republican today. Is it because your ideals match today's Republicanism, or is it out of non-thinking, lazy habit, combined with an irrational hatred for the opposition, even when it's clear that the opposition is more forward thinking, honest and intelligent than the Republican Party of today?

Why are you still a Republican when today's Republicans are such an unmitigated failure?

First there is a reason they have to call it neo-conservative. The thought of being the cop of the world is new to conservativism but old to liberalism. Remember the Korean War, Vietnam, any of those ringing a bell in that head? Also for those of us that do not keep blinders on we remember Haiti, Somalia, Bosnia, etc. It is the U.S. that is all war all the time not just conservatism.

Obama has demanded we strengthen NATO to tear down invisible walls and has said he will add 20,000 troops patrolling the interior of the United States. Obama has NOT given up on Pax Americana. One of the things that is upsetting is that when Paleocons try to get the U.S. to take a path where we are not the cop of the world, the neo-cons and liberals jump up and call it racist to not demand to control the fate of the entire collective world. Don't want to send troops into Haiti, Somalia, or Darfur it is because you a racist bastard who doesn't care about the fate of brown people. I can tell because you actually listened to a satire involving a brown person once. If you don't want to force peace in the Middle East, it is because you are racist.

Bullshit.

The line that it isn't racial progress when you hire, but when you can fire is very true. I think we are going to see some Democratic firings soon, especially when the claimed Obamatopia doesn't arrive. It may take a while. You toss a couple trillion of printed money into the economy and things will get better short term, but the pain will be that much worse down the line, like say 4-6 years from now.

Quote:

Conservatism cannot fail. It can only be failed.

If conservatism fails, it is because we have a country that hasn't saved a dime in half a decade and we want to vote for someone who is going to give us a check instead of somehow finding some bootstraps. That can be true of the conservative party or the country.

post #381 of 518
Quote:

People were declaring the same thing about the Democrats in 2004. Things can change quickly. First there is a reason they have to call it neo-conservative. The thought of being the cop of the world is new to conservativism but old to liberalism. Remember the Korean War, Vietnam, any of those ringing a bell in that head? Also for those of us that do not keep blinders on we remember Haiti, Somalia, Bosnia, etc. It is the U.S. that is all war all the time not just conservatism. Obama has demanded we strengthen NATO to tear down invisible walls and has said he will add 20,000 troops patrolling the interior of the United States. Obama has NOT given up on Pax Americana. One of the things that is upsetting is that when Paleocons try to get the U.S. to take a path where we are not the cop of the world, the neo-cons and liberals jump up and call it racist to not demand to control the fate of the entire collective world. Don't want to send troops into Haiti, Somalia, or Darfur it is because you a racist bastard who doesn't care about the fate of brown people. I can tell because you actually listened to a satire involving a brown person once. If you don't want to force peace in the Middle East, it is because you are racist. Bullshit. The line that it isn't racial progress when you hire, but when you can fire is very true. I think we are going to see some Democratic firings soon, especially when the claimed Obamatopia doesn't arrive. It may take a while. You toss a couple trillion of printed money into the economy and things will get better short term, but the pain will be that much worse down the line, like say 4-6 years from now. If conservatism fails, it is because we have a country that hasn't saved a dime in half a decade and we want to vote for someone who is going to give us a check instead of somehow finding some bootstraps. That can be true of the conservative party or the country.

"Bubble....constricting...losing oxygen...losing consciousness...must-hold-on..."
post #382 of 518
I'm so sad Artman. Usually you add cartoons and cartoony pictures to represent the cartoony thinking to which those on your side reduce their thinking. I guess Frank pulled that job for this week.

post #383 of 518
Quote:

I'm so sad Artman. Usually you add cartoons and cartoony pictures to represent the cartoony thinking to which those on your side reduce their thinking. I guess Frank pulled that job for this week.

Well, we all have our defenses. Yours is "How many ways I can express the word 'bullshit' into over a hundred words or more".
post #384 of 518
I'll try to speak in smaller words.

I'll use smaller sentences.

It helps the Comedy Central Crowd.

John Stewart, stop hurting America.

They don't like all these words.

post #385 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Well, we all have our defenses. Yours is "How many ways I can express the word 'bullshit' into over a hundred words or more".

Or set up a phony blog using the real name of someone that got under his skin.
post #386 of 518
Quote:

I'll try to speak in smaller words.

I'll use smaller sentences.

It helps the Comedy Central Crowd.

John Stewart, stop hurting America.

They don't like all these words.

post #387 of 518
Quote:

People were declaring the same thing about the Democrats in 2004. Things can change quickly.

I remember clearly in 2004 people (and largely conservatives) were saying that the Dems needed to move to the right if they were to ever win another election. I don't remember anyone publicly wondering whether the Dems would be consigned to being a regional party, which is what I've been hearing about the GOP.

Quote:
If conservatism fails, it is because we have a country that hasn't saved a dime in half a decade and we want to vote for someone who is going to give us a check instead of somehow finding some bootstraps. That can be true of the conservative party or the country.

As I said, conservatism never fails. It can only be failed.
post #388 of 518
You know, after "We have every right to make jokes about Negroes, too", I think the next best slogan for the new, even smaller and angrier Republican Party would be "You are actually beneath our contempt, but if you vote us in we'd be willing to teach you the terrible discipline of the market, you lazy, shiftless fucks."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #389 of 518
RNC draft rips Bush's bailouts

Quote:
Republican Party officials say they will try next month to pass a resolution accusing President Bush and congressional Republican leaders of embracing "socialism," underscoring deep dissension within the party at the end of Mr. Bush's administration.

Those pushing the resolution, which will come before the Republican National Committee at its January meeting, say elected leaders need to be reminded of core principles. They said the RNC must take the dramatic step of wading into policy debates, which traditionally have been left to lawmakers...

This may end up being all smoke and mirrors produced for the public by the RNC to grab our attention, but this is kind of what some asked for. Some may disagree, but it has been said that those people could be taken more seriously if they work inside the party to change it, rather than try to establish another party.

I'm too skeptical to believe though...
post #390 of 518
I suspect that this is actually Bush v the GOP.
post #391 of 518
Quote:

I suspect that this is actually Bush v the GOP.

post #392 of 518
Leave it to Fox News:

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/01/01/...wyears-racist/

Of course, they'll blame it on the poster and claim they aren't responsible for viewer's opinions, completely ignoring the fact that somebody had to type it in to the system.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #393 of 518
Awesome.
post #394 of 518
Gotta love the party of family values:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...c2p4QD98S19KO2

post #395 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Gotta love the party of family values:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...c2p4QD98S19KO2

But if Dems do it, it's ok?

The sooner we stop playing these "gotcha" games and admit that corruption is pervasive in both major parties, the sooner we can do something about it.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #396 of 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

The sooner we stop playing these "gotcha" games and admit that corruption is pervasive in both major parties, the sooner we can do something about it.

Jazzy While the Democrats aren't perfect in the last several years there's been no comparison. Republicans have had so many scandals it's well scandalous! It was embarassingly easy to find stuff to talk about.
post #397 of 518

Obama is depicted in the bottom right corner.
http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw...-mails_oba.php
post #398 of 518
Quote:

Jazzy While the Democrats aren't perfect in the last several years there's been no comparison. Republicans have had so many scandals it's well scandalous! It was embarassingly easy to find stuff to talk about.

Scandals are usually associated with folks selling access or power. Since the Democrats weren't in power at the national level, they pretty much didn't have what others were willing to pay for.

So, don't be too smug - Rod Blagojevich is a Democrat.
Quote:

Corruption occurs where there is power, in direct correlation to the extent of the power involved. The solution is a less powerful government. Not that I'm holding my breath, of course... it'll never happen in my lifetime.
post #399 of 518
Quote:

So none of these guys were involved in any scandals? Off the top of my head, no (Google search):

John Edwards (affair, and the kid may be his)
Elliot Spitzer (prostitute)
William Jefferson (Democrat rep from Louisiana, took bribe money among other things)
Rod Blagojevich - (sold Obama's vacant seat in the Senate)

No comparison? And you call yourself an "independent"?

post #400 of 518
Quote:

So none of these guys were involved in any scandals? Off the top of my head, no (Google search):

John Edwards (affair, and the kid may be his)
Elliot Spitzer (prostitute)
William Jefferson (Democrat rep from Louisiana, took bribe money among other things)
Rod Blagojevich - (sold Obama's vacant seat in the Senate)

No comparison? And you call yourself an "independent"?

Besides ignoring what I said in the previous post " While Democrats aren't perfect " You also ignore what's been going on for the last few years. You really don't want me to post a comparative list do you? I mean we could talk about Rush criticizing illegal drug users on his show the day before we found out he was one of them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Where Does the GOP Find These People?