or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple orders aluminum 13-inch MacBook shells, 3G iPhone chips

Apple orders aluminum 13-inch MacBook shells, 3G iPhone chips

post #1 of 150
Separate reports have revealed that Apple's next wave of products for 2008 is soon to enter various stages of production, with orders placed for aluminum shells for the company's next-generation 13-inch MacBooks and a manufacturer chosen for the iPhone's 3G chipset.

A worker at a Taiwanese case manufacturer posting to one of the Taiwan's largest technology forums claims (link withheld to protect identity) that his unnamed employer has just this week received orders to produce enclosures for new MacBook systems.

Having signed a non-disclosure agreement with Apple, the worker was hesitant to respond to questions on the matter from fellow members of the discussion forum, but did initially let slip that the order was for traditional aluminum-colored casings only.

The report appears to corroborate AppleInsider's source information on the subject, echoing assertions that white cases will disappear from the MacBook lineup, replaced instead by a silver, anodized aluminum enclosures reminiscent of those used in the MacBook Air and latest iMacs.

Few other details escaped along with the leak, though people familiar with Apple's plans have previously mentioned preserving the 13-inch screen and performing "trimming" around the borders of the next-gen notebooks, which should receive their makeover with their next update sometime in the second half of the year.

Meanwhile, DigiTimes cites Taiwan's Economic Daily News in reporting that United Microelectronics Corporation has been tapped as the manufacturer for the Infineon baseband processor for the 3G-capable iPhone.

The newspaper maintains that UMC will use a 65 nanometer plant to produce the chip, which (though mistakenly written as PMB878) is known to be the PMB8878 -- an integrated circuit which provides cellular data on HSDPA networks up to 7.2Mbps and is the source of the hidden SGOLD3 reference in the latest beta of Apple's iPhone 2.0 firmware.

Infineon's 2G, EDGE-only chipset for current iPhones is made by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), according to the paper.

Neither EDN nor the factory worker have disclosed when the respective products are due to ship. Still, analysts tracking Infineon and other involved component makers have heard of spring production windows for iPhones, while numerous indicators have also suggest that MacBooks and MacBook Pros must wait until at least June, when Intel unveils Centrino 2 and vendors can begin using the next-generation mobile platform.
post #2 of 150
Aluminum Macbooks? Umm, I still love my white Macbook but I can't wait to see the new notebooks! Hopefully they will sport an LED display.
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #3 of 150
Quote:
A worker at a Taiwanese case manufacturer posting to one of the Taiwan's largest technology forums claims (link withheld to protect identity)

I hope this is a tongue-in-cheek rip of mainstream newspapers and their penchant for unnamed sources and the days of Deep Throat, because otherwise, WTF?
post #4 of 150
ooooohhhhh goodie!!! :-D I cant wait! :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
post #5 of 150
AluMacBook sounds teh sexy!
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #6 of 150
Aluminum Macbooks is an obvious next step, as is a revised MacBook Pro design with larger multi-touch trackpads for both machines. The thing I think Apple really need to do though, for more options and better sales to young and old alike is to do the aluminum, consumer Macbooks in 5 colors. Bring back the sexy please. Anodized, colored, aluminum, consumer Macbooks would be "killer"!

They could do something rich and amazing!

There's millions of colors and tones to choose from. They would likely go a little paler than this, but they could select 5 beauties.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #7 of 150
How did AI get from

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

, but did initially let slip that the order was for traditional aluminum-colored casings only.

to

Quote:

replaced instead by a silver, anodized aluminum enclosures reminiscent of those used in the MacBook Air and latest iMacs.

It sounds like the leaker is implying that the case is colored to simulate aluminum, like painted plastic or something. How cheap!
post #8 of 150
Of course there's going to be a refresh. I just ordered my MacBook Pro. ConfirMEd!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It sounds like the leaker is implying that the case is colored to simulate aluminum, like painted plastic or something. How cheap!

I think it could be a reference to uncoloured, silver aluminum like the current MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, rather than coloured, anodised aluminium like the iPod Nanos
post #9 of 150
Quote:

How did AI get from

to

It doesn't sound like that at all. Anodized aluminum is exactly that, it's not plastic.

But, if this is true, I wonder how it will impact the MBP sales. Unless their cases will undergo a drastic, easily noticed revision, these aluminum MB's will steal some sales.

Quite a few people buy on looks, and if they can think these look like MP's, they will buy them instead.
post #10 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It doesn't sound like that at all. Anodized aluminum is exactly that, it's not plastic.

But, if this is true, I wonder how it will impact the MBP sales. Unless their cases will undergo a drastic, easily noticed revision, these aluminum MB's will steal some sales.

Quite a few people buy on looks, and if they can think these look like MP's, they will buy them instead.

2 things:-

1) Just because this is 13", doesn't mean it's for the MB. Could be MBP

2) Could be that Apple will get rid of the visual distinction between MB and MBP completely and make the difference purely functional. That might mean making the MBP significantly more functional to appease bothered MBP users, but I don't think it'd be such a foolish decision.
MATTE MATTERS
MATTE MATTERS
post #11 of 150
Perhaps to save costs, the outer shell will be aluminum, however, the inside (keyboard area, palm rests) will all be plastic, black or white.
post #12 of 150
Myself and others are alergic to whatever Apple make their aluminium Macs from. If I even touch a MacBook Pro, (latest) iMac keyboard or the 12" PowerBook, my skin goes dry, cracks and begins to bleed within minutes. Have witnesses and photos to prove it. This does not happen when I touch any other aluminium object, such as a saucepan.

Appalled by the MacBook Air, I bought an EEE PC to work alongside my (plastic) MacBook, as I really wanted a compact, lightweight portable and the air just does not cut it for many reasons, mainly associated with size (too much space wasted around edges of screen / keyboard), fact it was aluminium - and way overpriced.

If Apple can ensure the case of this new 13" machine is coated with something to prevent alergies, then I'll be their first customer as my MacBook is getting old and the EEE PC while ideal for taking notes, checking email, is not a Mac.

What say you Apple and forums peeps?
post #13 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As much as I want and hope that the new MacBook is aluminum, and anodized with several colors, the leaker did not say anodized aluminum.

The quote was "traditional aluminum-colored casings only". What is the traditional case for the MacBook? Plastic of course, and term aluminum colored does not equate to anodized colors.

I'll rephrase what I said, it seems like the leaker is implying a traditional plastic MacBook case that is aluminum colored.
post #14 of 150
Clearly these people don't take their secrecy agreement seriously, so who's to say they take the rest of their contract seriously? F*ck 'em. Take the business elsewhere.
post #15 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

2 things:-

1) Just because this is 13", doesn't mean it's for the MB. Could be MBP

2) Could be that Apple will get rid of the visual distinction between MB and MBP completely and make the difference purely functional. That might mean making the MBP significantly more functional to appease bothered MBP users, but I don't think it'd be such a foolish decision.

The whole point to this story, and all the speculation here, even before this story, is that this IS a MB case. If it were a MBP case, there would be little story at all.

The thing is that most pro users will buy on features, functionality, and power. Most others will buy on price and looks.

I've known quite a few people over the years who didn't need a Powerbook (in the older days), or a MBP, but bought one because of the prestige.

The same thing for PowerMacs, or now, Mac Pro's.

But if the cheaper line looks close enough so that most people can't easily see the difference, those people will opt for the cheaper machine, because they don't need the pro machine.
post #16 of 150
Quote:

Pros must wait until at least June, when Intel unveils Centrino 2 and vendors can begin using the next-generation mobile platform.

So what is this Centrino 2 all about? How much of an performance increase can we expect?
post #17 of 150
Quote:

I took it a totally different way. I saw it as agreeing with the consensus that plastic was being phased out and the MB cases would indeed be aluminum, but that they would not be tinted or colored (or whatevver you do to get those bright colors like in Ireland's picture) as many people have speculated or hoped.

The article first mentioned that they would be aluminum cases and later that they would (only) be aluminum-colored--i.e. not other colors like red or blue...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #18 of 150
jiffy isn't going to stop making peanutbutter because people are allergic to peanuts.
post #19 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderkid View Post

Myself and others are alergic to whatever Apple make their aluminium Macs from. If I even touch a MacBook Pro, (latest) iMac keyboard or the 12" PowerBook, my skin goes dry, cracks and begins to bleed within minutes. Have witnesses and photos to prove it. This does not happen when I touch any other aluminium object, such as a saucepan.

Appalled by the MacBook Air, I bought an EEE PC to work alongside my (plastic) MacBook, as I really wanted a compact, lightweight portable and the air just does not cut it for many reasons, mainly associated with size (too much space wasted around edges of screen / keyboard), fact it was aluminium - and way overpriced.

If Apple can ensure the case of this new 13" machine is coated with something to prevent alergies, then I'll be their first customer as my MacBook is getting old and the EEE PC while ideal for taking notes, checking email, is not a Mac.

I've never heard of anyone being allergic to anodized aluminum, and I've done a lot of work with it, even having designed, and built one anodizer, for my own shop at home. It doesn't matter who makes the stuff, it's all the same. The only, unlikely possibility is that the sealer for the pores is nickel acetate, and is dangerous in use. But, there should be no residue in the finished product.
post #20 of 150
Quote:

As much as I want and hope that the new MacBook is aluminum, and anodized with several colors, the leaker did not say anodized aluminum.

The quote was "traditional aluminum-colored casings only". What is the traditional case for the MacBook? Plastic of course, and term aluminum colored does not equate to anodized colors.

I'll rephrase what I said, it seems like the leaker is implying a traditional plastic MacBook case that is aluminum colored.

Well, actually, we don't really know. I reread the article, and it did say aluminum colored casings. I don't know if that's a quote, or just a paraphrase.

If anyone here can read Chinese, and can get to that site, we would all be much obliged.
post #21 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Clearly these people don't take their secrecy agreement seriously, so who's to say they take the rest of their contract seriously? F*ck 'em. Take the business elsewhere.

Quite a curious thing to post on a site devoted to "insider" information!

post #22 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The thing I think Apple really need to do though, for more options and better sales to young and old alike is to do the aluminum, consumer Macbooks in 5 colors. Bring back the sexy please. Anodized, colored, aluminum, consumer Macbooks would be "killer"

iPods that match ones MB would be a big hit. I'm surprised Apple hasnt' done this earlier. They seem to be moving every things away from plastic and to recyclable elements.

But I don't think this would be a new MB coming out this soon. For starters, the new portable chips that Intel is releasing in June won't be available to Apple in bulk for a couple month after that. Also, the MB and MBP were just updated less than 2 months ago (51 days) with an average update cycle of 192 days. The Mac Mini and iMac are both at 254 days and an average update cycle of 188 days and 205 days respectively.

This makes me think that if Apple is producing 13" non-MBA cases this soon then Apple will be releasing a 3rd, and smaller, portable to their Pro line. But is having 3 different 13" machines and only one 15" model the best choice for Apple and the consumer. I don't think so I am calling this story bogus.

Quote:

If Apple can ensure the case of this new 13" machine is coated with something to prevent alergies,

I'm sorry you have a rare allergy, but do it yourself, it's not Apple responsibility. You have an allergy to a metal so you can't be touching metals directly. You can coat in a thin plastic membrane with a built in adhesive (akin to window tint) or a buy a hard plastic shell, like TechShell. I use the latter because I like to through my stuff around and not use a case with my portable.

PS: Like Melgross states, it's probably nickel content, not aluminium.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 150
post #24 of 150
Quote:

---
In corporate-speak: You're statistically unimportant. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1509548
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #25 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Very Interesting.

No it's not, and I'm not falling for it.
post #26 of 150
Well, good for you, I guess.

edit: The Tiger background does give pause though, not to mention the curvature of the top half of the MBP not really matching up with t he bottom half.
post #27 of 150
The text is messed up on the MBP pic, as if a smaller font has been pasted on top of the original text.
post #28 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

The text is messed up on the MBP pic, as if a smaller font has been pasted on top of the original text.

And apparently the MB image was copied from someone in the forums who made a MB mockup:

Adokimus

Post & Image
post #29 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

And apparently the MB image was copied from someone in the forums who made a MB mockup

And the larger pic still has the XSan listed. This is just a fanboy mockup that isn't new or convincing.
post #30 of 150
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. But 'forum peeps' are going to be unable to answer your question, either because they are not doctors, or they would be hacks to offer you medical advice without examining you first.
post #31 of 150

Great work Adokimus, this is obviously the way the MacBook Pro is going to look.
post #32 of 150
I just hope they put more USB ports on them. Two ports is just not enough. All Macs should come with 4 USB ports minimum IMO.

I think it's about time the whole lineup went aluminium. This could turn the Macbook into the 12" powerbook equivalent that so many people have been waiting for. If it gets trimmed down and isn't quite so glossy, it will be perfect. The GPU as usual isn't great but the X3100 might be enough for people.

It's all just a question of when. If production workers are seeing these then surely it has to be a matter of 2-3 weeks tops.
post #33 of 150
Quote:

Great work Adokimus, this is obviously the way the MacBook Pro is going to look.

That is quite sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I just hope they put more USB ports on them. Two ports is just not enough. All Macs should come with 4 USB ports minimum IMO.

For what reason do you need to have 4 simultaneous USB connections? I think 2 is more than enough for the vast majority.

Quote:
It's all just a question of when. If production workers are seeing these then surely it has to be a matter of 2-3 weeks tops.

None of this makes sense. The MB and MBPs were just updated 50 days ago. That is 140 days short of their average refresh rate. Plus, the Mac Mini and iMac refreshes are almost 2 months overdue.

Can you cite any precedence where Apple updated a product this close to a previous update?
post #34 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For what reason do you need to have 4 simultaneous USB connections? I think 2 is more than enough for the vast majority.

I was happy with only two USB ports.....until I switched out my hard drive for a bigger one. I had the great idea of using my old hard drive as a Time Machine backup. But the old hard drive is now in an external case which needs to use both ports to be powered. So now I have to eject & unplug it if I want to use a mouse or sync my iPhone.
post #35 of 150
Quote:

No it's not, and I'm not falling for it.

I don't get why people are treating those leaks as if they are finished ready art. Obviously they are not. Does anyone really think the art on Apple's site are real photos? No of course not. They are all heavily photoshopped art which are mostly hand drawn in Illustrator and Photoshop.

So what's wrong with these being in-progress art to show someone within Apple or maybe an ad agency some ideas? If anything it gives it more weight that these are real because of that.
post #36 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I was happy with only two USB ports.....until I switched out my hard drive for a bigger one. I had the great idea of using my old hard drive as a Time Machine backup. But the old hard drive is now in an external case which needs to use both ports to be powered. So now I have to eject & unplug it if I want to use a mouse or sync my iPhone.

That is a pain, but uncommon. You may want to consider a FW enclosure that will supply power on one port. They cost more, but the convenience may make it worth it.
post #37 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think you're going to need to come up with a more standard approach as to why anyone needs more than 2 ports than resusing an old internal drive as a usb drive with two cables.
Gotta be maybe, one guy on the planet doing that.

If yer gonna buy a new MB or MBP, you might want to do some wireless time machine backups and forget saving 50 bucks on reusing an old drive........
post #38 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I don't get why people are treating those leaks as if they are finished ready art. Obviously they are not. Does anyone really think the art on Apple's site are real photos? No of course not. They are all heavily photoshopped art which are mostly hand drawn in Illustrator and Photoshop.

So what's wrong with these being in-progress art to show someone within Apple or maybe an ad agency some ideas? If anything it gives it more weight that these are real because of that.

If you really believe you're not being played, then check out the bridge I'm selling in New York. You can charge anything you want in tolls and make lots of money and I'll sell it to you cheap.
post #39 of 150
Quote:

There's millions of colors and tones to choose from. They would likely go a little paler than this, but they could select 5 beauties.

Are you sure there are really millions of colors and not only 262,144 colors?
post #40 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Are you sure there are really millions of colors and not only 262,144 colors?

Cute.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple orders aluminum 13-inch MacBook shells, 3G iPhone chips