or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple said to have signed landmark 3G iPhone deal for Italy

Apple said to have signed landmark 3G iPhone deal for Italy - Page 3

post #81 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right and all the responses questioning your contract comments are fanmail. Dream on.
However I commend you for holding everybody word for word accountable for the exact meaning of their words- a lawyer perhaps?

I think if you count the actual number of people who have agreed, and the ones who haven't, you will see a preponderance on my side of the issue.

Not a lawyer. I've owned, or been a partner in two businesses since 1973, so I've read and approved of a lot of contracts. My wife is a lawyer though. We discuss these issues more than a bit. I also enjoy language, and tend to be strict about the meaning of what's being said.
post #82 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Jesus, i actually feel dumber having to read this bs.

Look to yourself, not to me.

You can also go to some of the links provided by Solipsism to try to understand what a contract is if you refuse to understand what I'm saying.
post #83 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Interesting I didn't know that.

Europe is generally stereotyped as being a fair place to do business.

You can't do much when France doesn't allow foreign ownership of mobile carriers and there are only 3 national carriers. You can't do much when the German government owns 30% directly and indirectly of Deutsche Telekom (which owns T-Mobile).
post #84 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its not BS.

If you bought something that did not perform the way you and the seller agreed it would. You have the right to take that person to court and force them to either give your money back or to satisfy the obligation of the product or service you payed for.

The reason you can do this is because the buyer and seller entered an agreement, which is a contract. Even if no paperwork was signed.

This is such a simple thing, it's difficult to understand how some can't "get it'>

I suppose they also think that downloading music or movies is fine. It's that state of mind.
post #85 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Knowing your luck, Mr. Meister, I truly hope it does not come with a tilted screen!

Or any number of other possible problems!

I'll have the wife pay for it, lowering the chances that my jinx will affect it.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #86 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

You can't do much when France doesn't allow foreign ownership of mobile carriers and there are only 3 national carriers. You can't do much when the German government owns 30% directly and indirectly of Deutsche Telekom (which owns T-Mobile).

Well, that is wrong. Competitors in Germany do operate, they do offer tariffs being as much as 70% lower in extreme cases and pretty much every single ruling of the government telecommunications regulation office has been against Telekom (the mother company of T-Mobile). This might be due to pressure from the EU commission, but as long as it works, fine. Telekom (even if partially owned by the government) lost around 2 million subscribers in 2007. We do have competition and it is showing results. Every phone user in Germany can freely choose the provider, tariff and the phone separately - I take that over the US situation every single day.

One single demographic is keeping Telekom/T-Mobile alive. Average age in Germany is pretty high and the vast majority of the population has grown up without any competition in the phone market. Quite a few elderly people have a terrible time keeping up with terminology, tariff options and all the decisions involved. They hold on to what they have, because it works. I needed 18 months to convince my mother to cancel her Telekom contract and sign up for a different landline and DSL provider (for a 65% saving, free installation and hardware included). This does not say nothing about the fairness of competition. It is the competitors task to reach these people, but every single flyer, ad or commercial in existence is 90-100% incomprehensible for this market. Most people will not even figure out they are talking about a phone line at all. "DSL with 16 Mbit and Fastpath, 801.11n WLAN Modem included, domestic flat, friends and family option, happy weekend option... - can I use this to call my children?"
post #87 of 122
iPhone price cut triggers UK sales rush

Sales of iPhones jumped rapidly throughout England last week, according to reports. O2 stores in London, Newcastle and Birmingham are said to have sold out entirely on April 16th, and only recently replenished their stocks. Meanwhile, a staffer from Carphone Warehouse's Oxford Street store in London says the location received a one-time doubling of daily sales from 30 to 60.

The rush coincided with a £100 drop in the cost of the 8GB phone, from £269 to £169. The cut is subsidized by O2, the iPhone's official UK carrier, and cannot be found at official Apple Stores. Similarly, the 16GB model is holding universally at the standard price of £329. It is widely believed that Apple and its carriers are clearing inventory in advance of a new 3G iPhone.

Analyst Ben Wood, of CCS Insight, argues that previously low iPhone sales have been due to a lack of subsidies, which many Europeans take for granted. It is common for Europeans to upgrade their phones without paying any extra fees, whereas the iPhone has not only been unsubsidized until this point, but has remained considerably more expensive than comparable smartphones.

macnn
post #88 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, that is wrong. Competitors in Germany do operate, they do offer tariffs being as much as 70% lower in extreme cases and pretty much every single ruling of the government telecommunications regulation office has been against Telekom (the mother company of T-Mobile). This might be due to pressure from the EU commission, but as long as it works, fine. Telekom (even if partially owned by the government) lost around 2 million subscribers in 2007. We do have competition and it is showing results. Every phone user in Germany can freely choose the provider, tariff and the phone separately - I take that over the US situation every single day.

What you do think the US situation is?

For $99 US, we get unlimited minutes --- daytime, night time, weekends, week days. And most people can afford to talk 700-800 minutes a month.

American GSM carriers don't charge unlocking fee --- they just give it to you for free after 90 days.
post #89 of 122
Well, Apple better improve the battery life for the 3G iPhone. With WiFI enabled the current iPhone battery will drain in just few hours of browsing the web and making few phone calls. I can't imagine how ridiculously short it is going to be if the 3G iPhone use the same battery without major improvement. Now, with iPhone 2.0 games, IM applications, and other programs (particularly games that uses intensive graphic and accelerometer controls) you have to make sure to charge your phone at least twice a day. A 3G iPhone with short battery life is useless.
post #90 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Well, Apple better improve the battery life for the 3G iPhone. With WiFI enabled the current iPhone battery will drain in just few hours of browsing the web and making few phone calls. I can't imagine how ridiculously short it is going to be if the 3G iPhone use the same battery without major improvement. Now, with iPhone 2.0 games, IM applications, and other programs (particularly games that uses intensive graphic and accelerometer controls) you have to make sure to charge your phone at least twice a day. A 3G iPhone with short battery life is useless.

According to AnandTech's testing WiFi on the iPhone uses a quarter less battery than EDGE. With the brightness down to the minimum I can get 8 full hours of EDGE usage out of my iPhone.

I wasn't able to find EDGE to UMTS power usage comparisons between the current iPhone chip and the one Apple will most likely be using. But it won't take more than a day before we have some real world tests about battery life. Hopefully, we'll be able to limit the device to slower data speeds to conserve battery usage if we desire.

Any iPod battery pack will work, but Mophie is making an extended battery specifically for the iPhone, though it hasn't started shipping yet.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #91 of 122
Quote:

What you do think the US situation is?

For $99 US, we get unlimited minutes --- daytime, night time, weekends, week days. And most people can afford to talk 700-800 minutes a month.

American GSM carriers don't charge unlocking fee --- they just give it to you for free after 90 days.

The US situation is (well, was, when I was in DC 6 weeks ago) that mobile phones are normally obtained from the carrier and that the selection is severely limited compared to Europe or Asia. Incoming calls count against the included minutes, prepaid tariffs are very high. According to my US friends (cannot say myself) there is literally no carrier which covers the entire country and the status of 3G coverage is laughable (their words, not mine). Call quality and drop outs are severely worse than in some developing countries (I can witness that myself). I did drive from Washington DC to Dover, Delaware - a fully charged phone (with an AT&T SIM) was drained on arrival (doing one single five minute call from Annapolis, no other usage), that gives an idea about the coverage and signal strength. The same phone (Nokia 6130i) needs one charge every 5-7 days in Germany when not doing calls.

My anytime flat rate in Germany is approx. 63 USD (excluding international calls) and I talk about 2,800 minutes each month. There is no unlocking fee with any provider because all regular phones are unlocked in the first place. The only locked phones are those with an above average subsidy (rare, mainly from Vodafone) and those tied to a prepaid scheme (and, of course, the iPhone). I do think these conditions are reasonable and definitely a sign of a working competition. The same service eight years ago would have cost me at least 20 times this amount.
post #92 of 122
Quote:

My anytime flat rate in Germany is approx. 63 USD (excluding international calls) and I talk about 2,800 minutes each month.

Don't forget that Americans are charged for incoming minutes as well as outgoing.
post #93 of 122
Quote:

The US situation is (well, was, when I was in DC 6 weeks ago) that mobile phones are normally obtained from the carrier and that the selection is severely limited compared to Europe or Asia. Incoming calls count against the included minutes, prepaid tariffs are very high. According to my US friends (cannot say myself) there is literally no carrier which covers the entire country and the status of 3G coverage is laughable (their words, not mine). Call quality and drop outs are severely worse than in some developing countries (I can witness that myself). I did drive from Washington DC to Dover, Delaware - a fully charged phone (with an AT&T SIM) was drained on arrival (doing one single five minute call from Annapolis, no other usage), that gives an idea about the coverage and signal strength. The same phone (Nokia 6130i) needs one charge every 5-7 days in Germany when not doing calls.

My anytime flat rate in Germany is approx. 63 USD (excluding international calls) and I talk about 2,800 minutes each month. There is no unlocking fee with any provider because all regular phones are unlocked in the first place. The only locked phones are those with an above average subsidy (rare, mainly from Vodafone) and those tied to a prepaid scheme (and, of course, the iPhone). I do think these conditions are reasonable and definitely a sign of a working competition. The same service eight years ago would have cost me at least 20 times this amount.

The three biggest carriers cover virtually the entire country. How many German carriers cover all of western Europe, including the British Isles, and parts of Eastern Europe as well? This is without roaming and extra fees of course.

Germany is a small country. It can't be compared to the US in coverage.
post #94 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The three biggest carriers cover virtually the entire country. How many German carriers cover all of western Europe, including the British Isles, and parts of Eastern Europe as well? This is without roaming and extra fees of course.

"Slightly smaller than Montana"

CIA World Fact Book: Germany
post #95 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

According to AnandTech's testing WiFi on the iPhone uses a quarter less battery than EDGE. With the brightness down to the minimum I can get 8 full hours of EDGE usage out of my iPhone.

I wasn't able to find EDGE to UMTS power usage comparisons between the current iPhone chip and the one Apple will most likely be using. But it won't take more than a day before we have some real world tests about battery life. Hopefully, we'll be able to limit the device to slower data speeds to conserve battery usage if we desire.

Any iPod battery pack will work, but Mophie is making an extended battery specifically for the iPhone, though it hasn't started shipping yet.

Strange!! Apple recommend turning off your Wifi to increase battery like. Personally, I have seen my my iPhone last longer when Wifi is off. I only turn it on when I want to use it, that way my battery don't die on me.
post #96 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Strange!! Apple recommend turning off your Wifi to increase battery like. Personally, I have seen my my iPhone last longer when Wifi is off. I only turn it on when I want to use it, that way my battery don't die on me.

Of course. Apple assumes that you want to be able to use your iPhone as a phone at any time, but you only want to use WiFi when you are near a WiFi hotspot. It makes no sense to have WiFi waiting for a connection when you are only in an EDGE capable area, so turning off WiFi will increase your battery life. However, if you are near a WiFi hotspot you will do better to use WiFi instead of taxing the EDGE processor for your data which is much less efficient than using WiFi.
post #97 of 122
Quote:

I do not even think a single carrier is present all over western Europe (unless I am wrong), but at least carriers within Germany do roaming agreements for areas where they have no own coverage and there is no additional charge for the user. I can go to any location within the country without worrying about coverage or extra charges. An iPhone user in the US cannot.

I know that a 100% coverage in the US may be unaffordable. But I did experience extremely poor coverage in quite a few areas where the population was significantly more dense than in your typical desert. And absolutely every friend from the US visiting me in Germany is singing highest praises about the call quality here, and they all come from bigger cities. Heck, I lived next door to two IBM consultants from Texas when I was working in Thailand - they wished to have Thailands mobile network at home.
post #98 of 122
Quote:

I do not even think a single carrier is present all over western Europe (unless I am wrong), but at least carriers within Germany do roaming agreements for areas where they have no own coverage and there is no additional charge for the user. I can go to any location within the country without worrying about coverage or extra charges. An iPhone user in the US cannot.

I know that a 100% coverage in the US may be unaffordable. But I did experience extremely poor coverage in quite a few areas where the population was significantly more dense than in your typical desert. And absolutely every friend from the US visiting me in Germany is singing highest praises about the call quality here, and they all come from bigger cities. Heck, I lived next door to two IBM consultants from Texas when I was working in Thailand - they wished to have Thailands mobile network at home.

There is no argument that the whole of Europe has a significantly better cell structure than the US. But you have to take some things into consideration. One is that Europe almost completely jumped from GRPS to WCDMA, without hardly using EDGE. From what I'm told. this came at a huge inital cost that is still not accounted for in terms of net profit.

Also, Europe uses GSM and not a mix of GSM and CDMA networks. But all that is beyond the scope of my knowledge and is only what I've heard, but I do know that the main reason all these things have happened in Europe is due to GeoTechnical* reasons: an average of more than 3x as many people per square kilometer than the US and more evenly distributed number of people over the whole area.

* That apparently isn't the correct usage of the word. GeoRado, maybe?
post #99 of 122
Quote:
Also, Europe uses GSM and not a mix of GSM and CDMA networks. But all that is beyond the scope of my knowledge and is only what I've heard,

Yes Europe uses the same network standard so roaming is easier, each carrier network budget only has to cover an area the size of one medium to small US state. California and Texas each by themselves are two to three times larger than most all European counties.

While US carriers have had to upgrade older networks, use both GSM and CDMA, and their network budgets have had to attempt to cover nearly 4 million square miles.
post #100 of 122
Quote:

The DC area (and basically the whole north east side of the US) is Verizon's territory. A European going to the US will bring their GSM phone --- which will not get a good reception.

Sure incoming calls are counted --- but if you get more than 1.5 times the minutes as European plans for the same price --- then Americans are still ahead. Don't ask why 1.5 times, but that's what it said in some of the literature I read.

The average American talks 700-800 minutes per month --- so it doesn't matter for us if prepaid tarriff is more expensive. The average German talks somthing like 150-250 minutes per month. The bad effect for the US --- they deploy amr half rate codec which lowers the quality of the voice call.
post #101 of 122
Quote:

There is no argument that the whole of Europe has a significantly better cell structure than the US. But you have to take some things into consideration. One is that Europe almost completely jumped from GRPS to WCDMA, without hardly using EDGE. From what I'm told. this came at a huge inital cost that is still not accounted for in terms of net profit.

That's correct. In most countries (maybe all?) the UMTS frequencies were sold by auction and at least in Germany (I do not know the results in other countries) the prices paid were lunatic and to some degree based on assumptions for higher acceptance rates of video conferencing, mobile TV, dozens of value added services that nobody asked for, etc. After they had the frequencies they slowly realized that demand is just not there yet, hardware is just not there yet and prices keep falling. Now that the demand for mobile Internet usage etc. is growing rapidly, prices are almost at GPRS level (the data flat rate for 3G is 8 USD more per month than the one for GPRS in my case) and the EU commission is regulating more and more prices (they regulated roaming within Europe recently and do now look at cross-carrier connections and data roaming). Most of the prices paid for the frequencies will be borne by the tax payers (indirectly by writing off the losses) - I think this is called a zero-sum game?!

Quote:

Also, Europe uses GSM and not a mix of GSM and CDMA networks. But all that is beyond the scope of my knowledge and is only what I've heard, but I do know that the main reason all these things have happened in Europe is due to GeoTechnical* reasons: an average of more than 3x as many people per square kilometer than the US and more evenly distributed number of people over the whole area.

While I do not know the exact numbers myself, this is certainly close enough. We partially compensate for that by using kilometers instead of miles Seriously, nobody can expect a 100% coverage in all parts of the US, when I am doing long tours through a huge national park in the US taking pictures and filming, I rent a satellite phone - no problem. What is quite obvious though is that carriers - even in rural areas - tend to delay investments to the degree possible and that is a situation we do not have here (yet). There are several areas (like DSL coverage) where we do have the same problem, just mobile networks are doing pretty well here until now.
post #102 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Or any number of other possible problems!

I'll have the wife pay for it, lowering the chances that my jinx will affect it.

First good laugh of the day.. Thanks!
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #103 of 122
Quote:

Look to yourself, not to me.

You can also go to some of the links provided by Solipsism to try to understand what a contract is if you refuse to understand what I'm saying.

That's the thing, EVERYONE understands what your saying, EVERYONE understands the different definitions of a contract, EVERYONE gets this because it is common sense. What you do NOT get is the fact that the people in the thread were talking about traditional cell phone contracts, and not some basic bare definition of the word contract.
post #104 of 122
Quote:

That's the thing, EVERYONE understands what your saying, EVERYONE understands the different definitions of a contract, EVERYONE gets this because it is common sense. What you do NOT get is the fact that the people in the thread were talking about traditional cell phone contracts, and not some basic bare definition of the word contract.

Reread the thread. This thread was hijacked by a poster claiming that prepaid contract was an oxymoron. The rest of it has been people correcting that and others disputing the meaning of the word contract.
post #105 of 122
Quote:

Reread the thread. This thread was hijacked by a poster claiming that prepaid contract was an oxymoron. The rest of it has been people correcting that and others disputing the meaning of the word contract.

I did re-read the thread before I posted and in post #8 is where this nonsense starts. Anyone with basic common sense and a 3rd grade education can decipher what the guy in post #5 was trying to say
post #106 of 122
Quote:

I did re-read the thread before I posted and in post #8 is where this nonsense starts. Anyone with basic common sense and a 3rd grade education can decipher what the guy in post #5 was trying to say

Sure, everybody knows what #5 was saying. And just about everybody knows that technically he was incorrect. Any purchase is a kind of contract--even if people do not think of it that way in their everyday lives.
Mel is not going to be convinced to drop something just because the argument has become tiresome--if he is right (or believes he is right) he will persevere. If you don't believe that a purchase is a kind of contract, do the research and come back with some hard hitting information. If you believe that the contract semantics are pointless to the original discussion then just drop it and it will go away.
Unless some other knucklehead keeps it going.

(Yes, I know. I am a knucklehead my my own definition. But I did try to stay out of this, so I am a reluctant knucklehead)
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #107 of 122
Quote:

Depends on the network agreements.

Quote:

The testimonials are nice, but I never pay attention to them. I prefer more objective statements.
post #108 of 122
Quote:

While I do not know the exact numbers myself, this is certainly close enough. We partially compensate for that by using kilometers instead of miles Seriously, nobody can expect a 100% coverage in all parts of the US, when I am doing long tours through a huge national park in the US taking pictures and filming, I rent a satellite phone - no problem. What is quite obvious though is that carriers - even in rural areas - tend to delay investments to the degree possible and that is a situation we do not have here (yet). There are several areas (like DSL coverage) where we do have the same problem, just mobile networks are doing pretty well here until now.

Building out coverage in the US is much more expensive. There are also rules about rural coverage the carriers have to obey.
post #109 of 122
Quote:

I know what we're talking about. I also know that when someone says something that's not correct, we feel free to correct them.
post #110 of 122
Quote:

Then perhaps you should go back to school.
post #111 of 122
we are going to see the 3g iphone introduced on wednesday!!! when they announce their quarterly earning
post #112 of 122
Quote:

Why do you think GSM was even developed? To have a homogeneous network where interoperablity between countries and networks would not be as fragmented as in the US. I can take my one phone and move throughout most of the world and get connectivity with one standard, while in the US this is not so. Te same 3G phones that work in Europe and the rest of the world will not work in the US. It is not necessarily about size but about interopearbility.
post #113 of 122
Quote:

The DC area (and basically the whole north east side of the US) is Verizon's territory. A European going to the US will bring their GSM phone --- which will not get a good reception.

Why do you say this? I travel frequently to the US, DC area, NJ/NY area and the reception is quite okay.

Quote:
Sure incoming calls are counted --- but if you get more than 1.5 times the minutes as European plans for the same price --- then Americans are still ahead. Don't ask why 1.5 times, but that's what it said in some of the literature I read.

The average American talks 700-800 minutes per month --- so it doesn't matter for us if prepaid tarriff is more expensive. The average German talks somthing like 150-250 minutes per month. The bad effect for the US --- they deploy amr half rate codec which lowers the quality of the voice call.

These are the rates for one operator in Finland (mine to be exact) http://www.dnaoy.fi/en/privatecustom.../dnaIlona.aspx
but the rates are pretty much the same across the board. For an additional 9.95 Euro a month, I get a unlimited data plan. So for 30 Euro, I get unlimited data, 500 voice mins and 100 SMS. On average I would guess the plan rates are about the same.
post #114 of 122
The Italians made Steve an offer he *couldn't* refuse
post #115 of 122
Free spaghetti for life.

post #116 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Why do you say this? I travel frequently to the US, DC area, NJ/NY area and the reception is quite okay.

If you want any cell phone signals in the underground subway in Washington DC and NYC, then the only choice is Verizon Wireless.

Verizon is the landline provider in the northern states. SBC and BellSouth (which merged into the now AT&T) are the landline providers in the southern states. And that translates into their strengths in the cell phone world.

This is why the tv show "American Idol" has always turned out a bunch of country music winners (cingular is the old AT&T wireless).

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...-idol-results/
post #117 of 122
Quote:

Why do you think GSM was even developed? To have a homogeneous network where interoperablity between countries and networks would not be as fragmented as in the US. I can take my one phone and move throughout most of the world and get connectivity with one standard, while in the US this is not so. Te same 3G phones that work in Europe and the rest of the world will not work in the US. It is not necessarily about size but about interopearbility.

The post I was responding to was a about coverage in the US vs Germany.

More phones have world coverage. It's not a big deal for world travelers. You can get a cheaper phone to take on vacation if you really need to.
post #118 of 122
Quote:

The post I was responding to was a about coverage in the US vs Germany.

More phones have world coverage. It's not a big deal for world travelers. You can get a cheaper phone to take on vacation if you really need to.

I would say that 95% or more European phones will work throughout the world. I did have some co-workers in Kuwait that had phones from the US that did not work while in Kuwait. They had to contact Verizon or some other provider to ask them to unlock their card. This is a bass-ackwards way to do biz.

Why buy a cheap phone for trips when one will do? I can take my phone everywhere with me.
post #119 of 122
Quote:

I would say that 95% or more European phones will work throughout the world. I did have some co-workers in Kuwait that had phones from the US that did not work while in Kuwait. They had to contact Verizon or some other provider to ask them to unlock their card. This is a bass-ackwards way to do biz.

Why buy a cheap phone for trips when one will do? I can take my phone everywhere with me.

I'm just saying that if you're on Verison or Sprint, you would have to do this.

So many people from Europe who post here, talk about all the different phones they have, that they use by just switching the SIM card, that I would figure that buying one for overseas trips would be no biggie.
post #120 of 122
Apple should have done this earlier as in India everybody is using unlocked iPhone.

Sachin
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple said to have signed landmark 3G iPhone deal for Italy