or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › If it Bleeds, it Leads (Why I Hate the Press)

If it Bleeds, it Leads (Why I Hate the Press)

post #1 of 8
I recently came across this NY Sun story on Drudge.

Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the World

Quote:
Major retailers in New York, in areas of New England, and on the West Coast are limiting purchases of flour, rice, and cooking oil as demand outstrips supply. There are also anecdotal reports that some consumers are hoarding grain stocks.

I am so sick of this kind of panic journalism, which is only intended to sell papers. This particular article is absolutely deceptive. "Major retailers" means a some stores in the Costco and Sam's Club chains. And they're limiting primarily rice...50lb bags of rice. Some are limiting customers to a few large bags of flour, containers of oil, etc. This is no doubt to prevent hoarding...which itself might start from alarmist articles like this.

Don't even get me started on "anecdotal evidence." The article says it's primarily the big chains, not as much with the mom and pop stores. OK, how's this: I'm in the Northeast. I went to a major supermarket chain just last night. I saw the shelves stocked with everything, including cooking oil...which I bought. There were no shortages of anything, much less flour, rice and cooking oil.

So we've determined the article is intended to alarm for no good reason. But then the author goes a step further, calling "food rationing." WTF? This article is despicable and irresponsible. It's a little like the one UK paper running the "USA 2008: Great Depression" article. In fact--since this is about food supplies--I would say it's far worse.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 8
Hear! Hear! I wholeheartedly agree. We shouldn't have "creative" writers making up sensationalist, twisted half-truth headlines to scare the American population into an irresponsible panic, like "Saddam Hussein is an immediate threat to the US".

Nah... just joking with you... I do agree with the premise of the thread, all politics aside.
post #3 of 8
The problem isn't that papers like the NY Sun run articles like this, because nobody trusts them anyway. The problem is that the NY TImes has done a lot of the same. "All the news fit to print" has become "If it fits, print it." Whatever: they are hemorrhaging reader base, respectability, and revenue because of it. The market is still honest.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #4 of 8
Absolutely agree with SDW2001.

*struck dead by bolt of lightning*
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Absolutely agree with SDW2001.

*struck dead by bolt of lightning*

Well, you know what this calls for.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #6 of 8
while the news is certainly sensationalist... there is an underlying problem that people will ignore since they see food stocks in their stores...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

while the news is certainly sensationalist... there is an underlying problem that people will ignore since they see food stocks in their stores...

That's true to an extent. The price of rice is skyrocketing, as is the price of corn, which thereby affects milk, beef, etc.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, you know what this calls for.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › If it Bleeds, it Leads (Why I Hate the Press)