or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple files for universal iPhone instant messaging patent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple files for universal iPhone instant messaging patent - Page 2

post #41 of 49
OK, I know a lot of people have been waiting for an IM app on iPhone...but, how can this be patentable?

A lot of the third party patents bashed on AppleInsider have more unique technologies than this.

It is just a list with some different way of displaying. Nothing special.

On the other hand, the Acoustic conference call patent is absolutely brilliant link
post #42 of 49
Look, I don't care if the iphone uses AIM's third party IM application or Apple's first party IM application.
But since Apple is going to show off their own IM app all I want to know is will they allow the app to multitask with an incoming call. If so, then that will be the only thing hot about it.
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Look, I don't care if the iphone uses AIM's third party IM application or Apple's first party IM application.
But since Apple is going to show off their own IM app all I want to know is will they allow the app to multitask with an incoming call. If so, then that will be the only thing hot about it.

1) You should care if it's a 3rd or a 1st party app because a 3rd party app can't run in the background. It's a PITA to have to resign into Meebo every time I back out of Safari.

2) You can multitask now with WiFi and phne calls, and I believe you can with EDGE and phone calls so long as the EDGE speed is fast enough. As i understand it, this will be possible with 3G areas with a 3G iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 49
i read the feedback, and didn't see this discussed. would this new IM function be an alternate option to the existing at&t SMS? just wondering if it would work on wi-fi? although i think at&t might block any effort to tap into SMS/MMS cash cow.
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by applecart View Post

i read the feedback, and didn't see this discussed. would this new IM function be an alternate option to the existing at&t SMS? just wondering if it would work on wi-fi? although i think at&t might block any effort to tap into SMS/MMS cash cow.

SMS will still go over the cell towers. What I'm hoping for is a single app icon ont he home screen for IMs, which includes SMS. So, when I start a new chat and choose a contact I can choose their mobile phone bumber which will send via SMS, or one of their internet IM names which will send via EDGE/UMTS unless a WiFi connection is established.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You should care if it's a 3rd or a 1st party app because a 3rd party app can't run in the background. It's a PITA to have to resign into Meebo every time I back out of Safari.

2) You can multitask now with WiFi and phne calls, and I believe you can with EDGE and phone calls so long as the EDGE speed is fast enough. As i understand it, this will be possible with 3G areas with a 3G iPhone.

So are you saying if Apple comes out with a 1st party IM app that they would allow it to multitask with incoming phone calls? If so then I wouldn't really care about other IM clients......as far as the iphone is concerned.
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

So are you saying if Apple comes out with a 1st party IM app that they would allow it to multitask with incoming phone calls? If so then I wouldn't really care about other IM clients......as far as the iphone is concerned.

While on a call, I am not sure. I know I can't currently check my mail over EDGE while on a call, but can if I'm also to connected to WiFi. But, since I think all the IM servers queue your new comments, Apple would probably just have it check as soon as your get off a call.

My comment was more of having an IM client conencted while I use Safari and send SMS messages and play with the iPod or any other apps, like games, that I may have installed.

Using a phone and responding to an IM would be great (and simple is using the headphone/mic setup), but I'm not sure if that would be allowed. I hear it is possible with a faster EDGE network and with 3G, but how much data does an IM send compared to an SMS? The IM connection would seem like it needs a more involved handshake.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #48 of 49
I don't see anywhere mentioned in the patent that this is going to be a universal chat IM for the iPhone. Even if it was how is Apple going to patent a universal IM when several developers have already released universal instant messengers? Is this just a patent for the GUI? Anyway, I'm a Mac user and I still don't see iChat being a true universal IM since I can't do audio/video chat with my MSN Messenger contacts. When I can do that in iChat then I'll consider it a true universal instant messenger. Even though Apple's market share is growing the fact is due to Microsoft's monopolistic tactics in the past there are more MSN Messenger users than iChat users. Having the ability to do Audio/Video chat between iChat users and MSN Messenger users would benefit both communities. Though to have this work on the iPhone Apple will need to release an updated model that supports HSPA and video calling.
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Reply
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Reply
post #49 of 49
Quote:
I don't see anywhere mentioned in the patent that this is going to be a universal chat IM for the iPhone.

The patent says it uses pretty much all major messaging protocols including MSN Messenger.

Quote:
Even if it was how is Apple going to patent a universal IM when several developers have already released universal instant messengers? Is this just a patent for the GUI?

Apple cannot patent the concept of a universal IM. They can only patent the user interface.

Apple encourages its software developers to use Apple's UI. I believe this patent is only to ward off its competitors.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm a Mac user and I still don't see iChat being a true universal IM since I can't do audio/video chat with my MSN Messenger contacts.

From what I understand you can use MSN, Yahoo, and Google Talk on iChat using Jabber.

Quote:
Even though Apple's market share is growing the fact is due to Microsoft's monopolistic tactics in the past there are more MSN Messenger users than iChat users.

This is different in different countries. AIM is the largest in the US, MySpace IM is probably the next largest. Hardly anyone uses MSN Messenger here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple files for universal iPhone instant messaging patent