or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone Dev Wannabe

iPhone Dev Wannabe

post #1 of 5
I've had programming experience in the past including Java, VB, C++, and HTML. Nothing to the point that I would consider myself a programmer, but it all still intrigues me. I have a couple ideas of apps that I would like to see on the iPhone and feel this could be a place for me to get a little more in depth with programming.

With that said, I've never done any coding on a Mac. Could you guys give me an idea of what languages I would need to learn in order to do so? Thanks for the help!
Don't click here, addictions may follow!

16GB iPhone 4 - Black
16GB iPad
2ghz Intel Macbook
1.6Ghz Intel Mini

16GB iPhone 4 - Black
16GB iPad
2ghz Intel Macbook
1.6Ghz Intel Mini
post #2 of 5
You'll need to learn Cocoa and Objective-C. You seem to know some fundamentals of programming, so picking it up should be pretty easy for you. Download X code/iPhone SDK and pick up some books on Obj-C or Cocoa.

iPhone Dev Program

SDK download
post #3 of 5
The (arguably) best two books for you might be ... "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" written by Aaron Hillegass but don't buy the second edition as it's dated and the third edition is coming out very very soon, and also Stephen Kochan's "Programming in Objective-C". Both are well-worn on my desk.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

The (arguably) best two books for you might be ... "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" written by Aaron Hillegass but don't buy the second edition as it's dated and the third edition is coming out very very soon, and also Stephen Kochan's "Programming in Objective-C". Both are well-worn on my desk.

Any clue how soon the third edition is due out?

16GB iPhone 4 - Black
16GB iPad
2ghz Intel Macbook
1.6Ghz Intel Mini

16GB iPhone 4 - Black
16GB iPad
2ghz Intel Macbook
1.6Ghz Intel Mini
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyko95 View Post

Any clue how soon the third edition is due out?

My Amazon pre-order says August 15th shipping.

Other rumors have said June.

I have both 1st and 2nd edition and the 2nd edition is out of date.
--Johnny
--Johnny
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone Dev Wannabe