or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple in rumored talks to license vibration feedback for iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple in rumored talks to license vibration feedback for iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


You hit the nail squarely on the head, this technology is nothing more than a useless gimmick. Haptic feed back tells yoou nothing about what you just did nor does it associate well with specific keys.

Dave


You obviously have never used it to make such comments:
1.) It's not a gimmick. For the iPhone as it currently looks - it's not necessary. But if Apple starts to make a smaller version that either slides or flips with a touch sensitive screen i.e., LG chocolate, Venus, or Voyager than it makes total sense. When the phone is closed and locked there is no vibration letting you know that you can not accidently engage any keys. With the phone unlocked and haptic - you can answer it without flipping it open or sliding the bottom panel down. This would also be very helpful to play music with the phone still closed.
2.) Of course haptic does not tell you what you just did- who says it does? Only Robby the Robot tells you that.
3.) It is good for for turning the speakerphone key on/off very fast.
post #42 of 53
This is nice-to-have, not must-have. As long as one can turn it off.....
post #43 of 53
Sounds like this won't really be a big improvement, and it's a ways off. I just wish the iPhone had the Blackberry Pearl's keyboard (the "half-qwerty") and therefore could have wider buttons. That is a big factor that's kept me from getting an iPhone - I've tried it out at the store and my Neanderthal thumbs make typing on an iPhone about 3X slower than on my Pearl; so, half the point of having a smartphone is not working for me on an iPhone. Or landscape the keyboard on an iPhone, achieving wider buttons. If that's not an option on the 2.0 iPhone (), I wonder if someone could develop it using SDK?
post #44 of 53
I think most iPhone owners would agree, you can't just pick up an iPhone and type like a pro. It takes practice. After months using an iPhone, a Blackberry or similar device may feel mighty clunky to you.
post #45 of 53
When Steve Jobs can't type "Hi" on a phone without a typo, you need to just call it quits on this soft keyboard idea. Many have tried it since the late 70s, and all have failed.

I really hope that Apple either makes the screen taller and supports a horizontal keyboard for ALL apps, or adds a physical keyboard.

Bottom-line: You don't need to learn how to type on any other device.
>*<
Reply
>*<
Reply
post #46 of 53
You are correct, You don't need to learn how to type on any other device, other than the iPhone or perhaps the LG Prada. Thats because you have been pressing buttons since you were a two-year-old, and now, many years later, you suddenly come across a keyboard where your fingers want to instinctively press, but instead you have to learn to touch your keystrokes onto a keyboard. You may even be used to a stylus for pecking on a Palm touch pad. Tough to change what youre used to doing for many years.

Dont know your budget or what city you live near, but if you envision yourself renting a Ferrari 360 Spider, youd find yourself sitting in a seat surrounded with levers and buttons unlike any other car youve ever been in. Youd need the rental employee to explain to you how to operate it, and youd have to practice for a while before getting it to drive properly. You dont need to learn how to drive any other car, someone might say to you. That car must suck!

But once you got used to the unconventional controls, youd have a great machine on your hands.

So too with the iPhone.
post #47 of 53
-1: car analogy
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

You are correct, You don't need to learn how to type on any other device, other than the iPhone or perhaps the LG Prada. Thats because you have been pressing buttons since you were a two-year-old, and now, many years later, you suddenly come across a keyboard where your fingers want to instinctively press, but instead you have to learn to touch your keystrokes onto a keyboard. You may even be used to a stylus for pecking on a Palm touch pad. Tough to change what youre used to doing for many years.

Dont know your budget or what city you live near, but if you envision yourself renting a Ferrari 360 Spider, youd find yourself sitting in a seat surrounded with levers and buttons unlike any other car youve ever been in. Youd need the rental employee to explain to you how to operate it, and youd have to practice for a while before getting it to drive properly. You dont need to learn how to drive any other car, someone might say to you. That car must suck!

But once you got used to the unconventional controls, youd have a great machine on your hands.

So too with the iPhone.

I dont think Apple would be pleased with your analogy as they want their phone to be intuitive.
___
John
Reply
___
John
Reply
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtyrell969 View Post

I really hope that Apple either makes the screen taller and supports a horizontal keyboard for ALL apps, or adds a physical keyboard.

Yes, I've been calling for the horizontal keyboard as well as everyone else, I think.

Quote:
Bottom-line: You don't need to learn how to type on any other device.

That's not true though.

I've tried a number of these other phones and keyboards, and they all suck.

Having to remember to press a special key for numbers is a pain when you miss it.
post #50 of 53
What we need, in addition to the already existing visual feedback, what we need is a retractable hammer that will smack your head each time your finger hits the intended location on the virtual keyboard. To make it even better, we should also have a paperclip dancing around asking if you need any assistance.

Geeezzz, are people so discombobulated about space that they need tactical feed back to confirm they have touched the right area?
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

What we need, in addition to the already existing visual feedback, what we need is a retractable hammer that will smack your head each time your finger hits the intended location on the virtual keyboard. To make it even better, we should also have a paperclip dancing around asking if you need any assistance.

Geeezzz, are people so discombobulated about space that they need tactical feed back to confirm they have touched the right area?

The hammer is a good idea. But it should be reserved for people who phone annoyingly in public places.
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The hammer is a good idea. But it should be reserved for people who phone annoyingly in public places.


post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

You are correct, You don't need to learn how to type on any other device, other than the iPhone or perhaps the LG Prada. Thats because you have been pressing buttons since you were a two-year-old, and now, many years later, you suddenly come across a keyboard where your fingers want to instinctively press, but instead you have to learn to touch your keystrokes onto a keyboard. You may even be used to a stylus for pecking on a Palm touch pad. Tough to change what youre used to doing for many years.

Dont know your budget or what city you live near, but if you envision yourself renting a Ferrari 360 Spider, youd find yourself sitting in a seat surrounded with levers and buttons unlike any other car youve ever been in. Youd need the rental employee to explain to you how to operate it, and youd have to practice for a while before getting it to drive properly. You dont need to learn how to drive any other car, someone might say to you. That car must suck!

But once you got used to the unconventional controls, youd have a great machine on your hands.

So too with the iPhone.

Being an Apple programmer since the age of 12, I'm very accustom to change. I am not a child who is buying a "toy" that happens to call itself a phone. I am buying a PHONE that is a solution to my business needs. I can't afford to stop and relearn something that I don't have to learn on a Treo or a Blackberry. I can beat anyone of you typing on either of those non-iPhone devices.

Remember, Steve Jobs couldn't type the word "HI" without making a typo, and he's the inventor of the phone. Have you ever noticed how he avoids typing during the Mac Worlds? Even the ads on TV fail to typo more than a couple characters.

People can't type on iPhones worth a damn.
>*<
Reply
>*<
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple in rumored talks to license vibration feedback for iPhone