or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Lars and the Real Girl?

Lars and the Real Girl?

post #1 of 6
Just finished watching this lovely little film. Has anyone else seen it? I'm just astonished by what they were able to accomplish in it. My wife is sitting here all sniffly over the death of a sex doll.

Any thoughts?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 6
I just did some web research: what a nutsy concept for a movie.

The "real girl" product has actually quite an interesting history itself. It was the entrepreneurial result of some mob crooks who wanted to go straight. I know this because ... the man in charge lived near a friend of mine for a spell.
Cat: the other white meat
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I just did some web research: what a nutsy concept for a movie.

It is, indeed. But that's the thing I kept thinking as I watched and got more and more invested in the charactersincluding the Real Girl doll. It's really an astonishing accomplishment on the part of the director.
post #4 of 6
I agree, I wasn't expecting that at all. At first it was funny and I thought it was going to be a comedy all the way but about 1/3rd of the way in it gets really emotional.

Very enjoyable movie.
post #5 of 6
In related news, this film was heavily promoted to the Evangelical Christian community.

And despite the obvious problem with the 'casting', there was more acceptance than backlash.

I haven't seen it yet, but it would have had to be very well done to accomplish that.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

In related news, this film was heavily promoted to the Evangelical Christian community.

And despite the obvious problem with the 'casting', there was more acceptance than backlash.

I haven't seen it yet, but it would have had to be very well done to accomplish that.

Heh ... maybe. The evangelical community is not exactly thrilled that the modern generation of american women see "sex and the city" as a desirable way to go about life, or worse, Paris Hilton. From the sound of it, "Lars and the Real Girl" casts an opinion about the often promiscuous, impossibly high-maintenance culture that has become common, accepted, and desirable to many young women today.

Of course, that's just speculation from having read the reviews. ... time to go to the Netflix website.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Lars and the Real Girl?