or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz - Page 5

post #161 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

According to a story on MacNN, Intel has confirmed that the chips are 45nm Penryn chips with Santa Rosa chipset.

"The 3.06GHz processor and fellow chips in Apple's new iMacs are part of a special run of Intel's existing technology... Although the processors match the same core clock rates and 1,066MHz system bus speeds as those for the upcoming platform, the processors are now known to be unlisted speed grades that include special support for the faster bus speeds (up from 800MHz)...The mainboard remains based on the same "Santa Rosa" chipset as for earlier iMacs and MacBooks."

I still like what I know so far.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I think that whoever in Intel is providing these "facts", they don't have all the information.

At issue here isn't just the CPU speed, but also that the iMac is using 800 MHz RAM, which Santa Rosa doesn't support.

Which is more likely:
  • Intel made some special CPUs and motherboard chipsets that are just like Montevina and its updated Penryn CPUs, but not actually Montevina, and will supply Apple with real Montevina in 1 - 2 months' time, or...
  • Intel have delivered Montevina a couple of months early to Apple?
Maybe Intel are deliberately lying about what chip this is because they don't want to piss off their other customers.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #162 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

We already know that Apple is looking at going to all LED displays, what we don't know is when. Maybe the next iMac upgrade, who knows?

There are 2 types of LED backlighting: White LEDs and separate red, green, blue LEDs. Based on specifications from display manufacturers, screens with white LED backlighting have no wider color gamut than screens using CCFL. On the other hand, screens using separate red, green, blue LEDs have a much wider color gamut which more closely covers the Adobe RGB color space.
post #163 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Which is more likely: Intel made some special CPUs and motherboard chipsets that are just like Montevina and its updated Penryn CPUs, but not actually Montevina, and will supply Apple with real Montevina in 1 - 2 months' time, or Intel have delivered Montevina a couple of months early to Apple?

Maybe Intel are deliberately lying about what chip this is because they don't want to piss off their other customers.

The latter seems more likely to me. While Apple has gotten chips first, they've never gotten more than one chip from Intel and never so far in advance (unless you count the 22mm chipset of the MBA).

I wonder what is missing from the full Montevina platform? No WiMAX, no HW H.264 decoding, etc.? Either way, I was going to get a refurbished Santa Rosa/Merom iMac but I'm now going for a new Monta-Rosa/Penryn iMac.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #164 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

As I mentioned in a different thread, I think that whoever in Intel is providing these "facts", they don't have all the information.

At issue here isn't just the CPU speed, but also that the iMac is using 800 MHz RAM, which Santa Rosa doesn't support.

Which is more likely:
  • Intel made some special CPUs and motherboard chipsets that are just like Montevina and its updated Penryn CPUs, but not actually Montevina, and will supply Apple with real Montevina in 1 - 2 months' time, or...
  • Intel have delivered Montevina a couple of months early to Apple?
Maybe Intel are deliberately lying about what chip this is because they don't want to piss off their other customers.

Exactly.

I'm sure that Intel can come up with some obscure feature that these chips don't have that the Montevina Penryns will/do. But it looks like a distinction without a difference IMO.
post #165 of 363
I'm now eating crow for stating that these MUST be Montevina based on the FSB and L2 Cache.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #166 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder what is missing from the full Montevina platform? No WiMAX, no HW H.264 decoding, etc.?

To the best of my knowledge, Apple has never made use of any GPU's integrated H.264 decoding (except in the AppleTV), so I don't see hardware H.264 as anything to get excited about.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #167 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

No glossy/matte screen choice. Customer feedback not reaching engineers.

*************************************

WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE ?????!!!!!!!

ANOTHER UPDATE WITH FORCED GLOSSY ---- CRAP !!!

OK, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE GLASS FACE CAN BE REPLACED WITH ONE WITH A LIGHT ACID ETCH ???

CAN IT BE REMOVED AT ALL ??? MAYBE I CAN ETCH
A LIGHT MATTE ON IT WITH A GLASS ART KIT.

ANY INFO APPRECIATED.

I DON'T FREAKIN' BELIEVE I HAVE TO DO THIS TO FIX
THE LATEST STUPIDITY FROM APPLE.

IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING, ISN'T IT.

ALWAYS A WART ON THE FACE.

ALWAYS A COCKROACH IN THE MASHED POTATOES.

THANKS A HELL OF A LOT



---gooddog
---gooddog

/
: * ] AAAAaaaRRRrrrFFFFff !!!
\
Reply
---gooddog

/
: * ] AAAAaaaRRRrrrFFFFff !!!
\
Reply
post #168 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

call them and tell them your problem. Customer is always right

In this case, the customer is right. He should be getting an upgraded machine, which he is.

But I'd say most of the time the customer isn't right. (And no, I don't work in retail or sales.)
post #169 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

So same thing different name. It is not like we are paying separately for these either, but we wouldn't be paying yours as well as ours, just instead of.

Again all these issues are instead of. We speak English, the laws and lawyers are similar and go with any working business. Any Apple office anywhere has to pay for its own telephones, stationery, accounts etc even in the States. You didn't have to pay a premium on your Macs to use Australia's Fred Anderson when he became HQ's CFO for many years.

You would assume that all parts of an organisation contribute to the whole. There should not be any cross subsidisation unless you are trying to minimise tax in certain markets by loading them up with costs to reduce their profits and shift them to HQ.

Should Mac consumers in Alaska pay more than say Canadian consumers? After all they are a small state in population and are much further from Apple HQ and face much greater transport and support costs?

Apple is an American company doing business in a foreign country. As such, it is subject to foreign commercial and consumer laws, taxes and business/social issues that add to the general cost of goods and the difference is passed on to the foreign consumer.

For every Mac that Apple brings into the US from China for example, is subject to US importation costs, which on a unit bases, is significantly less than what is alloted to each Mac sold in Australia. The same for overhead, marketing and general legal (corporate) costs are significantly lower per unit in the US, but they are added necessities in foreign operations.

As such, doing business in another country has an added cost. True, the more the merrier and its additional sales do in fact drive overall production costs down. However, shipping a Mac from China to Australia will cost more per unit than shipping the same Mac to California.

By the way, don't tell an Aussie that we speak English. Although I would think that they also would agree that they don't as well. For sure, the Brits or the Canadians would argue on whether Americans speak English. But even the Canadians would say that they are the only English speaking people that every other so called English speaking person in the world can understand. In any event, those little nuances between American English and Australian has a cost, albeit small, but one of those things that just adds up and up.

Big landed cost in Australia is for shipping. Nearly twice as much than in the US. For example, free shipping in US, Canada and Australia is free over $50, $75 and $90 respectively. Obviously volume/mile delivered is the key factor.
post #170 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The RAM you list is 240 pin instead of 200 pin. Crucial lists 2x2GB of the new iMac memory for $124. So yeah, it's a better deal than Apple, and you get the extra 2x1GB modules to sell or give away (if you want to deal with it).

But still, $200 for the Apple factory upgrade (from 2 to 4GB) is not bad.

I agree - it's worth it. I know how to install ram, I've done it many times - laptops, desktops, even PCs. However, if Apple installs it I'm covered by their warranty and there is no chance of memory incompatibility which has been a problem now and then with Macs. Plus I don't have to worry that by some fluke I manage to zap the ram or damage the slot. All that is worth the $200 to me.
post #171 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

There are 2 types of LED backlighting: White LEDs and separate red, green, blue LEDs. Based on specifications from display manufacturers, screens with white LED backlighting have no wider color gamut than screens using CCFL. On the other hand, screens using separate red, green, blue LEDs have a much wider color gamut which more closely covers the Adobe RGB color space.

And the even wider Pro Photo gamut?

Just kidding, but, at this point the LEDs provide more even lighting, and color across the screen, which is not a joke. It's a step forward from where they are now.
post #172 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

For elementary school, this is more than fast enough to last you about 5 years I'd say, that is if your kids don't want to play a lot of games on these. No need to get the more expensive models. You should get 2GB of RAM though. To replace this ram, you need to loosen 1(one) screw.
Speed bump before fall is possible, I'd say 60% chance they upgrade it once more before September, if you can hold out till November or so, I'd wait.

I visited an elementary school with those 10 year old iMacs. They are the "The original "Bondi Blue" iMac G3 was introduced in 1998."

They're horrible... I think they aren't upgrading them because they're to valuable to have 6 year olds messing with them and maybe they're too big. They could at least get Mac Mini's with a 15" screen or something... sheeeeesh.

-----

I'm pretty happy about the iMac update myself... I need to get the high-end model now. 3 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, 500 GB HDD, and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory for $2,199.00! Damn, I need that! Now we just need a display update a 30" LED glossy widescreen display with a 1000:1 contrast ratio! ha that'd be sweet
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
Reply
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
Reply
post #173 of 363
I hate to say this... but looks like Apple is keeping glossy screens!

That's too bad for them to ignore people who don't care for glossy screens... as long as they keep making glossy screen iMacs, they won't get my business.
post #174 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

I hate to say this... but looks like Apple is keeping glossy screens!

That's too bad for them to ignore people who don't care for glossy screens... as long as they keep making glossy screen iMacs, they won't get my business.

Well, there goes the stock!


post #175 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

And who controls the money, why since Jan 07, the Democratic controlled Congress.

It was Bush who's pushed the rebates because of his and his Republicans 6 years of fiscal irresponsibility in controlling the money- hello?
post #176 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Even Apple's own forums were full of complaints. I steered clear of the problem by buying the white 24" iMacs before they disappeared off the shelves. Got them at excellent prices too!

Two things I generally don't read is blogs (usually by people who know less than the average person here), and Apple's forums, which often are not very useful, or interesting.
post #177 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not relating the end of the recession to the elections. It's just that economists think that the recession will end shortly after the elections, perhaps around January.

One thing is for certain - everyone's depression will be over around January, once a-Whole and Cheney leave Washington.
post #178 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

*************************************

WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE ?????!!!!!!!

ANOTHER UPDATE WITH FORCED GLOSSY ---- CRAP !!!

OK, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE GLASS FACE CAN BE REPLACED WITH ONE WITH A LIGHT ACID ETCH ???

CAN IT BE REMOVED AT ALL ??? MAYBE I CAN ETCH
A LIGHT MATTE ON IT WITH A GLASS ART KIT.

ANY INFO APPRECIATED.

I DON'T FREAKIN' BELIEVE I HAVE TO DO THIS TO FIX
THE LATEST STUPIDITY FROM APPLE.

IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING, ISN'T IT.

ALWAYS A WART ON THE FACE.

ALWAYS A COCKROACH IN THE MASHED POTATOES.

THANKS A HELL OF A LOT



---gooddog

Can't you post properly?
post #179 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

One thing is for certain - everyone's depression will be over around January, once a-Whole and Cheney leave Washington.

Well, yeah.
post #180 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Can't you post properly?

I SECOND THAT WHAT IS WRONG WITH PROPER CAPITOLIZASHUN AND WHAT IS WORNG WITH NOT POSTING ANGRY CENTLESS RANTS?!?

ugh.

anyway, great update Apple! Great GPU, great CPU. Keep those killer products coming, Apple.
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
Reply
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
Reply
post #181 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm now eating crow for stating that these MUST be Montevina based on the FSB and L2 Cache.

No need. You just didn't know about the 'back room' conniving.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #182 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

No need. You just didn't know about the 'back room' conniving.

Maybe I can recant my precious post. Even if these are overclocked Penryns they still ahve several aspects of Montevina with the FSB, L2 and the faster RAM. We'll just have to wait for Anand or Tom to tear into them.

I expect to see preliminary speed tests from MacWorld tomorrow. The bump from 2.0 to 2.4GHz for the base modelas well as the other featuresshould show a very increase in performance.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #183 of 363
While the mainstream chips 2.4 and 2.66 GHz versions are rated at a TDP of 25 watts, the 2.8 GHz (T9600) model runs at a 35 watt TDP and this special 3.06 GHz SKU at 55 watts.

Does 55 watts bother anyone in the 3.06 chip? Will it be noisy in your opinion? HOw much of a jump from 2.8 GHZ to 3.06 GHZ are you getting?
post #184 of 363
Interesting comment from seemingly knowledgeable Edgadget poster:

"Montevina" (35/45 series northbridges) is the name of the platform that suceeds to the "Santa Rosa" (965 northbridge), NOT the processor.
In fact, both the "Santa Rosa" and "Montevina" can use either the refreshed 800MHz FSB "Merom" (65nm) or "Penryn" (45nm) Core 2's -as long as they are Socket P compatible-.
The "Montevina" brings mostly a official 1066MHz FSB and lower-voltage DDR3 (1.5v, instead of DDR2's 1.8v) options, but the former already exists unofficially in Santa Rosa, and the CPU's of each platform should be interchangeable pending BIOS/EFI updates -same socket/pin layout, as i said above-.
This is further complicated by the fact that both "Santa Rosa" and "Montevina" chipsets can decrease their FSB's clockspeeds independently from the CPU core clockspeed, pending bandwidth utilization patterns. That's why a Core 2 "Santa Rosa"-based CPU can be used at full speed while its FSB may run at just 400MHz, instead of the 800MHz standard speed.

DDR3-1333 will only improve integrated graphics (an area where clocks, not access latency, play a key role) performance and slightly lower the overall power consumption. Due to increased latencies of the DDR3 technology, you'll be hard pressed to find anything else running faster versus the bog-standard DDR2-667.

So, in short, future "Montevina"-based iMac's/Macbook's/Macbook Pro's will use basically the same CPU's as the "Santa Rosa" platform refresh currently shipping with "Penryn" 45nm Core 2's. The extra 266MHz for the FSB are therefore perfectly negligible in the performance department compared to any recent "Santa Rosa"-based 45nm Core 2 "Penryn". Only a hypothetical mobile quad-core CPU would benefit from it under certain conditions, but the "Penryn" model they've announced for this iMac isn't one, so...

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy post, but it'll be useful if it avoids any upgrade-rush mistakes for many ill-informed or confused buyers out there.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #185 of 363
Intel's northbridges are very, very tolerant of overclocking; gamers can regularly get FSB speeds of 450MHz (that would be 1800MHz QDR) or more on the desktop variants. It's entirely possible that Apple is just doing that to the GM965; 266MHz (1066 QDR) shouldn't even give it a workout.

Anyway, once someone gets their hands on one of the new iMacs and installs Windows on it, we'll have all sorts of info on the chipsets it uses.
post #186 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Apple is an American company doing business in a foreign country. As such, it is subject to foreign commercial and consumer laws, taxes and business/social issues that add to the general cost of goods and the difference is passed on to the foreign consumer.

Which is quite contrary to the practice of non-American companies which usually cut prices of exports to enter and expand into foreign markets. I think it is a matter of perspective. Americans see themselves, like the Ancient Chinese, as the Middle Kingdom and everyone else has got it wrong. If they insist in their wicked practices they should be made to pay for them.

Quote:
For every Mac that Apple brings into the US from China for example, is subject to US importation costs, which on a unit bases, is significantly less than what is alloted to each Mac sold in Australia. The same for overhead, marketing and general legal (corporate) costs are significantly lower per unit in the US, but they are added necessities in foreign operations.

As such, doing business in another country has an added cost. True, the more the merrier and its additional sales do in fact drive overall production costs down. However, shipping a Mac from China to Australia will cost more per unit than shipping the same Mac to California.

Despite the shorter distance to Australia, and once it has arrived at one of the major Australian cities (we are highly urbanised) it is substantially arrived at its market. Meanwhile in the USA it has merely reached California and has a another 4000km or more to go.

There is the factor that in Australia we do not have an illegal migrant or black underclass to exploit and we pay most everyone a living wage. This means luxury products like Macs are not being subsidised by the poor workers low wages, or by foreign consumers (because we are the foreign consumers).

Quote:
By the way, don't tell an Aussie that we speak English. Although I would think that they also would agree that they don't as well. For sure, the Brits or the Canadians would argue on whether Americans speak English. But even the Canadians would say that they are the only English speaking people that every other so called English speaking person in the world can understand. In any event, those little nuances between American English and Australian has a cost, albeit small, but one of those things that just adds up and up.

How egocentric! Just because Americans have trouble adjusting to anyone else's differences you think you represent a standard in English usage! A standard judging by this and other forums that hasn't a clue as to spelling, grammar or the meanings of most words. Don't get me started on the misuse of common words, scientific terms and prepositions! I suppose the 95% of the world who use metric measures are adding to the costs to support both the Imperial & metric systems, not the USA causing the problem through intransigence.

Quote:
Big landed cost in Australia is for shipping. Nearly twice as much than in the US. For example, free shipping in US, Canada and Australia is free over $50, $75 and $90 respectively. Obviously volume/mile delivered is the key factor.

More likely an underpaid transport workforce along with suppressed fuel pricing keeps costs down in the States.

Australia does however suffer more than most because of the internal tyranny of distance. Our population whilst highly concentrated in the major cities, still is distributed on the edges of a land mass about the same size as the mainland USA.

I have also noted the American practice of finding the most costly and inefficient method of despatch which is all loaded into the price. My sister-in-law tells me the postal service is only used as a last resort in the States whereas here it works well and cheaply. We just can't get you to do the right thing and use it. Amazon prices itself out of my market by using FedEx. If they'd only post the damn goods I'd shop there all the time.
post #187 of 363
Quote:
You're really doing it LBB? I never thought I'd see the day! If so, congratulations

...m'yeh.



As opposed to waiting another 9 months+ for Apple to do Nehalem 0cto-core with a next gen card.

It'll do the job. I made a list of all the things I need to do now. The iMac ticks all the boxes. So, no argument. It's not a octo-3d powerhouse. But with a GS and a dual 3 gigger. Respectable. 'Adequate'. As such it's a stop gap machine. But a very nice one at that...

I'll let you guys know how it runs when I get it...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #188 of 363
Wow. 300 bucks to upgrade from 2 to 4 GB of memory is 200 bucks more expensive than it should be. I just replaced a 1GB DIMM with 2GB from Trans International and it cost all of $42 so replacing 2 would cost $84. Why does apple charge $216 more than Trans? Thats a 257% markup!
post #189 of 363
I guess I have to join the chorus.

I really dislike the glossy screen, and someone who bought one a year ago really dislikes it too. I would pay extra for the non-glossy option as a build-to-order.

Dr. Ledgard
post #190 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

...m'yeh.



As opposed to waiting another 9 months+ for Apple to do Nehalem 0cto-core with a next gen card.

It'll do the job. I made a list of all the things I need to do now. The iMac ticks all the boxes. So, no argument. It's not a octo-3d powerhouse. But with a GS and a dual 3 gigger. Respectable. 'Adequate'. As such it's a stop gap machine. But a very nice one at that...

I'll let you guys know how it runs when I get it...

Lemon Bon Bon.

Outstanding! I want a thread with unboxing porn and everything.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #191 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Which is quite contrary to the practice of non-American companies which usually cut prices of exports to enter and expand into foreign markets. I think it is a matter of perspective. Americans see themselves, like the Ancient Chinese, as the Middle Kingdom and everyone else has got it wrong. If they insist in their wicked practices they should be made to pay for them.

Not usual. There are anti-dumping laws that prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Despite the shorter distance to Australia, and once it has arrived at one of the major Australian cities (we are highly urbanised) it is substantially arrived at its market. Meanwhile in the USA it has merely reached California and has a another 4000km or more to go.

Only 400 km difference between Beijing-Sydney and Beijing-San Francisco. Point is Apple ships a 100,000 Macs to San Francisco and maybe 5,000 Beijing to Sydney at a time. Significant difference in cost per unit in shipping costs. Once landed, Apple's deals for UPS/FedeX land costs are significantly lower because of the yearly volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

There is the factor that in Australia we do not have an illegal migrant or black underclass to exploit and we pay most everyone a living wage. This means luxury products like Macs are not being subsidised by the poor workers low wages, or by foreign consumers (because we are the foreign consumers).

Way out of line. Sure you didn't mean to add this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

How egocentric! Just because Americans have trouble adjusting to anyone else's differences you think you represent a standard in English usage! A standard judging by this and other forums that hasn't a clue as to spelling, grammar or the meanings of most words. Don't get me started on the misuse of common words, scientific terms and prepositions! I suppose the 95% of the world who use metric measures are adding to the costs to support both the Imperial & metric systems, not the USA causing the problem through intransigence.

My point (as well) was that Apple like any other self-respecting company entering a foreign country has to provide materials, particularly re communication, in a form that is representative of the land in which they are doing business. Although the Australian web site is probably built in the US along with or in concert with every other foreign site, there are costs differentials which are charged ex-country accordingly. Probably exceptionally small, but they add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

More likely an underpaid transport workforce along with suppressed fuel pricing keeps costs down in the States.

Volume. Tax structures. Population.

Underpaid transport workforce? You won't find much support from the average consumer here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Australia does however suffer more than most because of the internal tyranny of distance. Our population whilst highly concentrated in the major cities, still is distributed on the edges of a land mass about the same size as the mainland USA.

Thus, the higher delivery costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

I have also noted the American practice of finding the most costly and inefficient method of despatch which is all loaded into the price. My sister-in-law tells me the postal service is only used as a last resort in the States whereas here it works well and cheaply. We just can't get you to do the right thing and use it. Amazon prices itself out of my market by using FedEx. If they'd only post the damn goods I'd shop there all the time.

Americans buy on-line primarily because it is expected to be delivered the next day and are used to it.

Wait 3-5 days? Are you out of your mind?

Put it on a mail truck and let it bounce around all day until to mailman comes by? Not on you life.

You have a great country. Anybody would love to live there. That is if they knew anything about it. But then we know that like your in-laws, staying permanently is another matter.
post #192 of 363
Quote:
Outstanding! I want a thread with unboxing porn and everything.

Teh unboxing 'porn'. Hmm...shouldn't be a problem...if I can get a digital camera...



Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #193 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

I have also noted the American practice of finding the most costly and inefficient method of despatch which is all loaded into the price. My sister-in-law tells me the postal service is only used as a last resort in the States whereas here it works well and cheaply. We just can't get you to do the right thing and use it. Amazon prices itself out of my market by using FedEx. If they'd only post the damn goods I'd shop there all the time.

US Postal Service is fine. I've mailed out an average of two to three packages a day for over two years and I've yet to get complaints of lost or damaged packages. I think whatever bad rap they used to have for decades-ago abuse is undeserved now. I think they're at least as good as the alternatives. The USPS does offer tracking for most forms of packages now too.

Apple usually uses FedEx, whether for air or ground. Their delivery and price usually isn't bad, but I think FedEx is needlessly irritating to work with for shipping.
post #194 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Which is quite contrary to the practice of non-American companies which usually cut prices of exports to enter and expand into foreign markets. I think it is a matter of perspective. Americans see themselves, like the Ancient Chinese, as the Middle Kingdom and everyone else has got it wrong. If they insist in their wicked practices they should be made to pay for them.



Despite the shorter distance to Australia, and once it has arrived at one of the major Australian cities (we are highly urbanised) it is substantially arrived at its market. Meanwhile in the USA it has merely reached California and has a another 4000km or more to go.

There is the factor that in Australia we do not have an illegal migrant or black underclass to exploit and we pay most everyone a living wage. This means luxury products like Macs are not being subsidised by the poor workers low wages, or by foreign consumers (because we are the foreign consumers).



How egocentric! Just because Americans have trouble adjusting to anyone else's differences you think you represent a standard in English usage! A standard judging by this and other forums that hasn't a clue as to spelling, grammar or the meanings of most words. Don't get me started on the misuse of common words, scientific terms and prepositions! I suppose the 95% of the world who use metric measures are adding to the costs to support both the Imperial & metric systems, not the USA causing the problem through intransigence.



More likely an underpaid transport workforce along with suppressed fuel pricing keeps costs down in the States.

Australia does however suffer more than most because of the internal tyranny of distance. Our population whilst highly concentrated in the major cities, still is distributed on the edges of a land mass about the same size as the mainland USA.

I have also noted the American practice of finding the most costly and inefficient method of despatch which is all loaded into the price. My sister-in-law tells me the postal service is only used as a last resort in the States whereas here it works well and cheaply. We just can't get you to do the right thing and use it. Amazon prices itself out of my market by using FedEx. If they'd only post the damn goods I'd shop there all the time.

Boy are you off base on most things here.

Arrogant would be a good word for it. Bitchy would also work. You could use your words for almost any country, or area.
post #195 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutigerinva View Post

While the mainstream chips 2.4 and 2.66 GHz versions are rated at a TDP of 25 watts, the 2.8 GHz (T9600) model runs at a 35 watt TDP and this special 3.06 GHz SKU at 55 watts.

Does 55 watts bother anyone in the 3.06 chip? Will it be noisy in your opinion? HOw much of a jump from 2.8 GHZ to 3.06 GHZ are you getting?

It's still lower power than the Mac Pro chips. It should still be a lot quieter than any of the G5 iMacs.
post #196 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Wow. 300 bucks to upgrade from 2 to 4 GB of memory is 200 bucks more expensive than it should be. I just replaced a 1GB DIMM with 2GB from Trans International and it cost all of $42 so replacing 2 would cost $84. Why does apple charge $216 more than Trans? Thats a 257% markup!

It's not $300, it's $200 to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB (the article is wrong).
post #197 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

*************************************

WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE ?????!!!!!!!

ANOTHER UPDATE WITH FORCED GLOSSY ---- CRAP !!!

OK, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE GLASS FACE CAN BE REPLACED WITH ONE WITH A LIGHT ACID ETCH ???

CAN IT BE REMOVED AT ALL ??? MAYBE I CAN ETCH
A LIGHT MATTE ON IT WITH A GLASS ART KIT.

ANY INFO APPRECIATED.

I DON'T FREAKIN' BELIEVE I HAVE TO DO THIS TO FIX
THE LATEST STUPIDITY FROM APPLE.

IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING, ISN'T IT.

ALWAYS A WART ON THE FACE.

ALWAYS A COCKROACH IN THE MASHED POTATOES.

THANKS A HELL OF A LOT



---gooddog

wow calm down! Honestly, I love the glossy screens...
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
Reply
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
Reply
post #198 of 363
Well, folks, this is the last iMac model before the launch of a quad-core Penryn iMac.

In Canada, every new model is still $100 more expensive than the same iMac sold through the US AppleStore. It's not a way to spur sales or increase market share.

In Canada, availability of the new iMacs is quoted to be in the next 30 days, dangerously close to the June release of quad-core Penryn chips. Should a careful buyer wait for quad-core Penryn iMacs?

post #199 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Well, folks, this is the last iMac model before the launch of a quad-core Penryn iMac.

In Canada, every new model is still $100 more expensive than the same iMac sold through the US AppleStore. It's not a way to spur sales or increase market share.

In Canada, availability of the new iMacs is quoted to be in the next 30 days, dangerously close to the June release of quad-core Penryn chips. Should a careful buyer wait for quad-core Penryn iMacs?


i doubt that apple will release both macbook and macbook pro and imac update at the same time.. especially when they are going to do some major changes to their laptops..but i maybe wrong..
post #200 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Not usual. There are anti-dumping laws that prevent it.

When it suits, and mainly applied against "dumped" Canadian lumber, am I right?

Quote:
Only 400 km difference between Beijing-Sydney and Beijing-San Francisco. Point is Apple ships a 100,000 Macs to San Francisco and maybe 5,000 Beijing to Sydney at a time. Significant difference in cost per unit in shipping costs. Once landed, Apple's deals for UPS/FedeX land costs are significantly lower because of the yearly volume.

But when it lands in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth, all more or less equidistant from Asia (Brisbane is even closer), you have 90% of the population covered.

Quote:
Way out of line. Sure you didn't mean to add this.

Actually I did. It is obvious to outsiders that the States has progressed from institutionalised slavery to institutionalised exploitation. What is your minimum wage and what health cover do people on the minimum wage enjoy? How many jobs do they need to have to keep their heads above water, presuming they don't get injured or sick? What level of debt are they into to try and maintain the "American Dream" of consuming their way to happiness?

Quote:
My point (as well) was that Apple like any other self-respecting company entering a foreign country has to provide materials, particularly re communication, in a form that is representative of the land in which they are doing business. Although the Australian web site is probably built in the US along with or in concert with every other foreign site, there are costs differentials which are charged ex-country accordingly. Probably exceptionally small, but they add up.

It may actually be the other way round. It maybe an Ossie, a Kiwi or an Indian building the US website, you'll have to ask Apple.

Quote:
Volume. Tax structures. Population.

Tick 1 & 3. But the tax breaks of those how don't need it are at the expense of those just trying to survive. We don't consider that fair and tossed out Bush's Deputy Sheriff when he tried to bring in American style tax and work contracts to Australia.

Quote:
Underpaid transport workforce? You won't find much support from the average consumer here.

How much of a clue does the average American consumer have of anything? My parents spent most of their trip to the Grand Canyon trying to keep their coach driver awake, because he was probably working 2 -3 jobs. I have seen Americans thinking all their Sundays have come at once, at the prospect of not having to tip here because employees get a living wage for their work.

Quote:
Thus, the higher delivery costs.

Yes distance is a factor, when it needs to leave a capital city for a small minority of Australians. Still the lower cost of the States is achieved in most cases by artificially low fuel costs and paying low wages.

Quote:
Wait 3-5 days? Are you out of your mind?

Well with FedEX I waited months and still had to go pick it up from their inconveniently located offices, all at my expense. The post would have been much faster, cheaper and convenient.

Quote:
You have a great country. Anybody would love to live there. That is if they knew anything about it. But then we know that like your in-laws, staying permanently is another matter.

She left to marry a childhood sweetheart who as I understand it lives a pretty crappy life in Queens after having been downsized in the 90's. But then that's love for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz