or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Rebate Checks: What Does a Bush-Hating Liberal Spend Hers On?

Rebate Checks: What Does a Bush-Hating Liberal Spend Hers On?

post #1 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, first of all, I think the more relevant question would be "What will the Bush hating American people spend theirs on?", since that's the actual demographic.

Fuel and food staples, I would think, whether they plan to or not.

Sad, but true enough..
post #2 of 39
No political motivations, but as I said in another thread, Italy

I need spending money for my trip, and it's a convenient way to set a budget.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #3 of 39
Huffington Post

Quote:
Since "the check's in the mail" no matter how much we object to this policy decision, here are 3 ideas of worthy ways to spend the money that could do some social and economic good.

1) Plant a garden. $600 is more than enough to get tools, supplies and seeds for a garden where you can grow some of your own food. It's spring and not too late to get started. Author Michael Pollan suggests that this is one of the most powerful individual actions a person can take to combat climate change and transform our cheap-energy-minded culture. You'll get the satisfaction of growing your own ultra-local vegetables, know you're doing something great for the earth, and you'll support the economy with smart purchases. If you live in a concrete jungle like New York City, look into a community garden.

2) Generously distribute among service sector workers -- aka -- leave big tips. Many people like waiters, busboys, and baristas may see their tips dwindle as people cut back on discretionary spending. Start leaving 25% instead of 20% until you estimate you've reached $600. Not only will you feel personally virtuous, you can help out workers who are more likely to live paycheck to paycheck than salaried employees. Their economic wellbeing is more subject to patrons' whims, so when business is slow they may feel the impact most acutely.

3) While Bush's educational policies leave many children (and teachers) behind, donorschoose.org is a website that lets teachers post wish lists and project needs and then individuals can purchase the items for the classroom, whether it's school supplies, textbooks or electronic equipment. No, this won't fix the systemic problem of educational inequality in America, but it does provide a platform for purchasing something that will have a meaningful and worthy impact. The students will even write you a thank-you note.

I'm going to say proposal number 2 is the ShawnJ proposal.

I'm going to bank my rebate. No matter what I do with it, it will not generate any new consumer debt or spending disproportionate to the dollar amount. I still plan on planting a garden though I should probably get a move on with regard to that.

Anyone have any political motivations that they are going to use this rebate to support or work against?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #4 of 39
Well, first of all, I think the more relevant question would be "What will the Bush hating American people spend theirs on?", since that's the actual demographic.

Fuel and food staples, I would think, whether they plan to or not.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #5 of 39
oops...
post #6 of 39
Hey look, it's the return of the Amazing Apple Insider Time Traveling Data Base.
post #7 of 39
Rebate Checks: What Does a Obama-Hating Neo-Con Spend His On?

Coke and gay prostitutes.

you started it...

Banking mine...don't know yet what I'll do with the second one...*

* yes, they are thinking of another stimulus package...

So let me finish by stating that they. are. all (left-right-red-blue). retards.
post #8 of 39
I'm dizzy....
post #9 of 39
I think mine is going to fence. Fences are expensive!
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I think mine is going to fence. Fences are expensive!

Yea... Bush promised one, congress funded it, and we have yet to see it. \
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #11 of 39
Yea not that kind. Mine is to keep kids in the yard.
post #12 of 39
Quote:

^He keeps young goats, you see.

Chèvre with a distinctly American edge to it.
post #13 of 39
My town is looking to allow chickens to be kept.

I get hormone free milk delivered once a week so I don't need to bother milking something.
post #14 of 39
Quote:

I get hormone free milk delivered once a week so I don't need to bother milking something.

So many dirty innuendos...
post #15 of 39
A Doors song comes to mind.
post #16 of 39
Quote:

Little kids? Close enough.

They come here, don't speak the language, suck off the system, create a permanent underclass which are used for near-slave labor, and are automatically a political constituency.

"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #17 of 39
Quote:

Mydo's Chickennnnnns... are coming HOME..... to Roooooost!
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Little kids? Close enough.

They come here, don't speak the language, suck off the system, create a permanent underclass which are used for near-slave labor, and are automatically a political constituency.

Permanent underclass?

I'd like to see you still manage to claim you're not a bigot.
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Permanent underclass?

I'd like to see you still manage to claim you're not a bigot.

You are smart enough to see satire when clearly posted. Surely I don't need to explain it in detail.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #20 of 39
It's like a constantly renewing underclass. But the irony is that we do it to each other and enjoy it.
post #21 of 39
Wow I totally missed the point! Sorry jub. I thought you were talking about illegal aliens... I can see the humor in your post.. and... I'm sowwy.
post #22 of 39
Quote:

It's like a constantly renewing underclass. But the irony is that we do it to each other and enjoy it.

----
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #23 of 39
Quote:

I'm sowwy.

Is that a crack at Asians?

<mccain voice> I demand that you distance yourself from these remarks, that you repudiate racial stereotypes about Asians.... </mccain voice>

"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

1) Plant a garden. $600 is more than enough to get tools, supplies and seeds for a garden where you can grow some of your own food. It's spring and not too late to get started. Author Michael Pollan suggests that this is one of the most powerful individual actions a person can take to combat climate change and transform our cheap-energy-minded culture. You'll get the satisfaction of growing your own ultra-local vegetables, know you're doing something great for the earth, and you'll support the economy with smart purchases. If you live in a concrete jungle like New York City, look into a community garden.

I have a small garden with strawberries, tomatoes, onions, radishes, bell peppers, and I have enjoyed every bit of it so far and I have not had my harvest of anything yet but I have enjoyed the process.

Take a look at this video and be inspired:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekVAmWxbnqE

The website if you are interested:
http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/index.shtml

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #25 of 39
Fellows, you're gonna love this article about raw-milk.
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Fellows, you're gonna love this article about raw-milk.

Thanks for that Shawn. I am very familiar with the raw milk topic and it is a shame how the regulators view it.

Another subject which should alarm us is irradiation of our foods.

http://www.NaturalNews.com/023015.html

Fellows

post #27 of 39
Hippies.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Fellows

Wow.

Please don't take this as an attack on your personal beliefs, but this kind of fear mongering irks me.

I agree phytonutrients/phytochemicals have beneficial effects and deserve more research, but whoever writes that site needs a new tinfoil hat. I guess the WHO and UN-FAO aren't part of the USDA/FDA conspiracy, since they weren't mentioned in the article even though they advocate irradiation as a sterilization method also. No links to any peer-reviewed studies backing up his claims either, and I couldn't find any with a quick Google search.

The USDA itself recognizes the benefits of phytonutritents:

Quote:
Population studies have linked fruit and vegetable consumption with lowering the risk for chronic diseases including specific cancers and heart disease. However, media and consumer interest in phytonutrients and functional foods is far ahead of established proof that documents the health benefits of these foods or food components for humans. Phytonutrients research is experiencing remarkable growth. Hopefully, more specific information on phytonutrient consumption and human health will be forthcoming in the near future. For now, it appears that an effective strategy for reducing risk of cancer and heart disease is to increase consumption of phytonutrient-rich foods including fruits, vegetables, grains and teas.

You do realize that irradiation works by damaging the DNA in bacteria so they can't reproduce properly? Since they have shorter life cycles than larger life-forms, this is very effective in killing them off in short order. I'm not a biochemist, but do know a good deal about radiation effects, (radiation worker/safety officer in the Navy) and since the phytonutrients are a series of chemical compounds that contain no DNA and are not 'alive' in any sense, there is no way I can think of that radiation can effect them. Besides, after the fruit/vegetable is picked, it's already stopped growing and is 'dead' anyway. Whatever compounds it contains isn't going to change after that point, except through natural degradation over time.

Personally, I'm a bit more concerned about estrogen mimics like bisphenol A in water bottles, baby bottles and Teflon pans, among other uses.

Quote:
Despite more than 100 published studies by government scientists and university laboratories that have raised health concerns about a chemical compound that is central to the multibillion-dollar plastics industry, the Food and Drug Administration has deemed it safe largely because of two studies, both funded by an industry trade group.

The compound, bisphenol A (BPA), has been linked to breast and prostate cancer, behavioral disorders and reproductive health problems in laboratory animals.

He theorized that because BPA can mimic estrogen, a female sex hormone, minuscule amounts introduced to fetuses or infants could change cell structure and cause significant health problems later in life. He found that doses 25,000 times below what the government has labeled as safe harmed developing cells in mice.

Back on Topic:

We're going to put ours into CDs or a mutual fund.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Wow.

Please don't take this as an attack on your personal beliefs, but this kind of fear mongering irks me.

I agree phytonutrients/phytochemicals have beneficial effects and deserve more research, but whoever writes that site needs a new tinfoil hat. I guess the WHO and UN-FAO aren't part of the USDA/FDA conspiracy, since they weren't mentioned in the article even though they advocate irradiation as a sterilization method also. No links to any peer-reviewed studies backing up his claims either, and I couldn't find any with a quick Google search.

I cannot agree with you more. My big gripe is the "Vaccines cause autism" LIE. The original hypothesis was that MMR vaccine was linked to autism. That hypothesis was tested and found not to be supported by the data. Then it was tested again and again with no support found. The IOM reviewed all reports and found no support. Studies from all over Europe confirm the result, no evidence. Results from Japan. No support for the hypothesis. Over and over and over the hypothesis has no support in scientific studies and yet people still push the idea that this is an open question and the definitive study has not been done or that BigPharma rigged the results or ....
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Fellows

You and Sammijo would have splendid babies together. Just saying!

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Wow.

No harm no foul. I field many resources when I read, listen or watch something about a given subject. As it directly pertains to the website and the author of it I linked to YES he is a bit over the top and quick to be opinionated etc.

With Christian subjects I field a huge array of sources and spend about 20 hours a week studying the word via a vast array of sources ranging in level of my personal subscription to their views starting with anything from (EWTN Catholic programming) and I am not Catholic, Pastor Melissa Scott in California (very acute sense of communication of accurate translations of the Bible) , KCBI local radio, Les Feldick (very simple and humble yet effective bible study teacher), my local Church and my pastor, countless websites and other resources.

With health and wellness I do the same.

With politics I do the same.

In fact I am just a junkie when it comes to fielding many sources no matter the subject.

With respect,

Fellows

post #32 of 39
Dave Barry: How your taxes turn into manure

Quote:
Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?

A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money?

A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?

A. Only a smidgen.*

Q. What is the purpose of this payment?

A. The plan is that you will use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China?

A. Shut up.

* The government will not be giving you back your own money. The government will be giving you money it has borrowed from China. China can lend our government this money because we the US consumer have been stimulating the Chinese economy for the last 30 years. \
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

* The government will not be giving you back your own money. The government will be giving you money it has borrowed from China. China can lend our government this money because we the US consumer have been stimulating the Chinese economy for the last 30 years. \

Excellent point. I remember about five years ago when I told someone that the cheap plastic slave-labor produced Chinese crap they bought at WalMart would end up, in the long run, being very, very expensive. Dumbfounded faces. Well, hello $4 a gallon.

If only we could actually get some people in Washington who would cut spending, we might get some of our own tax dollars back. Not freaking likely it seems. \
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

In actuality this money is borrowed from your children and grand children.

Who will get the money:
Saudis
Iranians
Hugo Chavez
Oil companies
China

The quality of Chinese products and their work ethics shits on US products and US work ethic. US greed has brought this situation on. "Must kiss stockholder ass" made China rich. China now owns half of Africa, diamond mines, oil fields, entire governments. The Saudis own the US media (that's why we should think ethanol production will cause food shortage) while the Saudis are buying up rice and grains in record numbers. But as long as they keep a vibrator in George's ass this will go on.

I will spend mine on Barack Obama.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamac View Post

In actuality this money is borrowed from your children and grand children.

Who will get the money:
Saudis
Iranians
Hugo Chavez
Oil companies
China

The quality of Chinese products and their work ethics shits on US products and US work ethic. US greed has brought this situation on. "Must kiss stockholder ass" made China rich. China now owns half of Africa, diamond mines, oil fields, entire governments. The Saudis own the US media (that's why we should think ethanol production will cause food shortage) while the Saudis are buying up rice and grains in record numbers. But as long as they keep a vibrator in George's ass this will go on.

I will spend mine on Barack Obama.

Man, I thought I had seen some stupid shit this week. But...wow.
post #36 of 39
Quote:

If only we could actually get some people in Washington who would cut spending...

What, you mean, like Bill Clinton?????
post #37 of 39
Quote:

What, you mean, like Bill Clinton?????

yea... if we could have back all those real Class of 94 CONSERVATIVES that sent him the spending bills, we'd be good to go, regardless of who the Prez is.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #38 of 39
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #39 of 39
Quote:

yea... if we could have back all those real Class of 94 CONSERVATIVES that sent him the spending bills, we'd be good to go, regardless of who the Prez is.

Yeah because SO many of them retired when Bush became President...

So... I've said this before, as it seems like it's how many of you think:

Republican Congress+Republican President (GWB 2000-2006) = SPEND
Democrat Congress + Democrat President (WJC 1992-1994) = CUT
Democrat Congress + Republican President (GWB 2006-present) = SPEND
Republican Congress + Democrat President (WJC 1994-2000) = CUT

So there should be no question with regard to how you're voting on this presidential election, right? RIGHT?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Rebate Checks: What Does a Bush-Hating Liberal Spend Hers On?