or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Paper: 3G iPhone smaller, lighter than existing model

Paper: 3G iPhone smaller, lighter than existing model

post #1 of 139
Reports aiming to predict what Apple's 3G iPhone will look and feel like continue to pour in this week, with the latest claim coming by way of the Taiwan Economic News, which says the next-generation device will be both lighter and more compact than the first generation model.

Citing its own sources in the supply chain, the paper claims the new model weighs only 110 to 120 grams versus its first generation cousin's 158 grams. Much of the weight reduction is said to have come from a material swap that will see handset adopt a plastic casing instead of aluminum-magnesium one.

"In addition to weight advantage, the latest version is also more energy efficient and externally smarter," the Economic News added. "LCD screen on the phone measures 2.8 inches diagonally, a downsize from first generation`s 3.5 inches."

The Far Eastern paper also echoed a recent report from the Chinese-language Commercial Times in saying Apple has placed orders for 25 million of the devices over an unspecified time frame. Materials for an initial build of 300,000 units are reportedly due in Foxconn's manufacturing facilities by the end of next month, with a secondary build of 3 million units to take place in June.

With each new description of the 3G iPhone seemingly contradicting the others, it's important to recall that Apple is reported to have crafted bogus prototypes of the first-generation iPhone to show not just to Cingular/AT&T executives ahead of its release, but also its Apple's own workers. So it's entirely possible that quite a few decoy devices are making the rounds this time.

For the sake of completeness, there have thus far been at least four other distinctive claims as to the design of the Apple's second-ever handset. The first arrived compliments of digg founder Kevin Rose, who was notoriously off the mark with his predictions on the first-gen handset. This time around he claims the iPhone will employ two digital cameras situated back-to-back, with the one on the front side of the unit paving the way for video chat capabilities.

Wall Street analysts Gene Munster and Shaw Wu later chimed in with their own claims, saying that both a new 2.5G version of the iPhone and the 3G model would each sport a somewhat "redesigned exterior" and fetch between $349 and $399. Finally, blog site Engadget echoed claims originally waged by the iPodObserver in saying that the device would shed its aluminum backing for a black plastic one, but somewhat dubiously added that Apple was forced to make the 3G model somewhat fatter than the first-gen model in order to incorporate GPS technology.

Despite readers' penchant for discounting claims made by analysts, it should be noted that the Wall Street folks have at times nailed design aspects of unannounced Apple products. Specifically, analyst Shaw Wu in 2006 confirmed independent of AppleInsider that Apple would transition its iPod nano away from plastic enclosures and towards metal ones. Meanwhile, Morgan Stanley analyst Rebecca Runkle (now with Arience Capital) trumped all others in providing the most accurate visual descriptions and pricing information on the first-generation iPhone in the weeks leading up to its formal unveiling.
post #2 of 139
One of the main attractions of the iPhone is the relatively large screen. Why would Apple want to lose that advantage by making the screen smaller?
post #3 of 139
Smaller screen? Plastic instead of aluminum? That doesn't sound good...
post #4 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

One of the main attractions of the iPhone is the relatively large screen. Why would they want to lose that advantage by making the screen smaller?

I agree that this doesn't sound right. But neither does a thicker iPhone.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #5 of 139
Buried for inaccurate. Those people don't know squat.
post #6 of 139
If these people have any genuine information, they have to be describing the iPhone nano.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
post #7 of 139
if enough analysts put ideas in the field, one of them is gonna be right I guess...
I say we make it game-show style: those who get it wrong have to eat a bug or something. Would really limit the number of these annoying reports.
post #8 of 139
Personally, this (as described) would be the one I've been wanting.
Whether it happens right now or not, I have no doubt that there will be a smaller form factor eventually.
I've had my touch since day 1, and as much as I like it, I've found that for my use, I'd be able to get by with a slightly smaller screen just fine.
On the other hand, I'd also like a 9" diag tablet. That way I could take whichever one suited my needs that day.
post #9 of 139
I will be astounded if the screen size on the 3G is smaller than the original. Perhaps Apple could reduce the size of the phone by reducing the borders around the screen, or moving buttons to the side or something, but developers are depending on the screen staying that size as they develop their apps.
post #10 of 139
If this is true at all, then it is surely describing an additional iPhone model, e.g., iPhone nano. No chance in hell they are reducing the screen size on the main model.

Smaller, plastic = lower end consumer (like the Macbook). Bigger, metal = pro version (like the Macbook Pro).
post #11 of 139
The screen size of the iphone certainty wont go any smaller. Not without a 2nd iphone nano model.
post #12 of 139
Frankly this report sounds terrible. Lets hope this is bulloni. Maybe this is to make current iphone owners happy?
post #13 of 139
Two things:
- if you look at the leaked picture of the black back of the new iPhone, it does appear to be possibly plastic
- i don't own a macbook pro, but if you did, the leaked picture of the iphone is overlaid on a macbook pro keyboard, so you could actually measure the dimensions on your own keyboard that correspond to the picture to see how big it really is
post #14 of 139
The other day we heard it would be thicker not smaller.
post #15 of 139
If the next generation iPhone is smaller, I'm not sure I'll get it. I have enough trouble holding the thing and typing now. Also the loss of screen real-estate makes typing in horizontal orientation next to impossible. If this is true, I hope it really is an iPhone Nano not a replacement for the current iPhone.
-Toyin
-Toyin
post #16 of 139
Ooooh, two new iPhone models. Maybe this one doesn't have 3G but is not exclusive to AT&T. The iPod Touch Nano Phone. That's the one I want!
post #17 of 139
Sounds like the "iPhone nano."

Nobody's expecting that until next year. Would be killer if Apple rolled it out in June.

There were reports that the 1stGen iPhone would stay on the market with a redesign. Maybe this is it.

2.8 inches is still bigger than your average smartphone.
post #18 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

Buried for inaccurate. Those people don't know squat.

This isn't Digg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thataboy View Post

If this is true at all, then it is surely describing an additional iPhone model, e.g., iPhone nano. No chance in hell they are reducing the screen size on the main model.

Smaller, plastic = lower end consumer (like the Macbook). Bigger, metal = pro version (like the Macbook Pro).

I agree. While this is probably false, the only way it's true is if there are two devices coming in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davvi28 View Post

Two things:
- if you look at the leaked picture of the black back of the new iPhone, it does appear to be possibly plastic
- i don't own a macbook pro, but if you did, the leaked picture of the iphone is overlaid on a macbook pro keyboard, so you could actually measure the dimensions on your own keyboard that correspond to the picture to see how big it really is

Those pics were fake. I was a 2G iPhone with a case and a little photoshopping of the back text.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #19 of 139
The virtual keyboard is already small enough at the screen's current size that they needed to implement some clever tricks to improve accuracy; no way they make it smaller.
post #20 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davvi28 View Post

Two things:

That leaked picture turned out to be just a commercially available protective case for the iPhone.
post #21 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I agree that this doesn't sound right. But neither does a thicker iPhone.

K

What would be considered thicker? 5mm more than current size versus 2mm bigger?

Plastic, I'd have to see before making judgement but 3.5" diagonal screen down to 2.8" diagonal what's with that? To be more like the competition?? C'mon Apple, you have the rest of the cell phone market trying to emulate your phone and now you want to emulate the size of others!

And what's with the infatuation that it has to be miniscule to be in "vogue"?

I've held the iPhone, and my average call time on a cell phone, a 158 grams down to 110 -120 grams in weight doesn't seem that it would make that much of a difference (to me). I mean if it were a reduction of 38 to 48 pounds!, sure I'd appreciate the difference but 38 to 48 grams?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #22 of 139
The leaked image with the black plastic back is ugly.
post #23 of 139
I agree with everyone above, surely they must be describing the iPhone nano.
Don't really care for the screen size that much, so long it can fit in my pocket.

Now please Apple price the 8GB model at $299 and make it available on any network provider and I'm sure it will sell like crazy.
Any idea on a catchy name, don't really like iphone nano or iphone mini, maybe iphone air
post #24 of 139
Waiting for the 20" fold out 8 bit screen version of the iPhone so I can do Final Cut on the iPhone. Joking.

No way the screen will be smaller, no way it will be plastic, I see a non-metal material, but not plastic.
post #25 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Sounds like the "iPhone nano."

Nobody's expecting that until next year. Would be killer if Apple rolled it out in June.

There were reports that the 1stGen iPhone would stay on the market with a redesign. Maybe this is it.

2.8 inches is still bigger than your average smartphone.

It staggers the mind. If Apple could release 2 new iPhone models in two months (the Nano and the Pro?) without people catching on before now--that would be amazing considering how much interest and speculation there is.

It would be quite a coup.

But, like another poster mentioned, it might annoy developers--they should know if there is going to be screen shrinkage before it happens...
Also, it seems strange that they would transition away from plastics on all of their computers and iPods only to bring it into the iPhone... Maybe it is that zirconium that has been bandied about--would that look like/be plastic?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #26 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

The virtual keyboard is already small enough at the screen's current size that they needed to implement some clever tricks to improve accuracy; no way they make it smaller.

I agree, this is the "nano" version if it all. i don't want a smaller screen and plastic ???it's got tobe a cheaper phone, just like the ipod, different price points, i think they will have:
3g-
2.5g
nano
each at a market growing price point, or the "plastic iphone" cmes in the fall

apple won't downgrade quality of its premier product.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #27 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Also, it seems strange that they would transition away from plastics on all of their computers and iPods only to bring it into the iPhone... Maybe it is that zirconium that has been bandied about--would that look like/be plastic?

I agree. It seems much more likely that the phone would stay metal to help maintain the "green" image.
post #28 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"LCD screen on the phone measures 2.8 inches diagonally, a downsize from first generation`s 3.5 inches."

Thats it then, the iPhone Monkey Bucket!

all w00t and WTF!11!! in the appropriate directions
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #29 of 139
I seriously doubt the screen is getting any smaller. Screen will stay the same size IMO.

I think we might see two iphones, at least thats what i would do if i were in charge. the current 2.5g iphone still caters well for it's intended market, maybe make it a bit thinner for aesthetics.

The other iphone would have obviously have 3g.

i would also ad a proximity sensor to both phones.

The only way apple could make a decent iphone with a smaller screen is to use my UI invention, but countless attempt to contact them have fallen on deaf ears! Apple's and my loss.
post #30 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Apple won't downgrade quality of its premier product.

I agree.

If they start introducing cheeper models, they have to keep at least one "flagship" model that blows away everything else in terms of appearance and price (and hopefully performance). It is the Apple way.
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #31 of 139
This rumor is a sham. Apple is all about going green. It is not going to take a huge step back by producing 24 million plastic phones. As for the screen being smaller - there is already enough hand wringing over the lack of tactile feel, they aren't going to make it worse by making the keyboard smaller. Somone needs to get the hook out of their mouth....
post #32 of 139
I gotta say, I like the idea of a smaller screen size -- the current form factor doesn't fit well into my pocket... and that really sucks, its my one great hold-out (that and my stupid sprint contract... june cannot come soon enough).

Frankly, I would trade typing speed for pocket comfort -- especially if they added a proximity sensor that zoomed in on keys as your finger approached, so that you could type in comfort (is that even possible?).
post #33 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Waiting for the 20" fold out 8 bit screen version of the iPhone so I can do Final Cut on the iPhone. Joking.

No way the screen will be smaller, no way it will be plastic, I see a non-metal material, but not plastic.

??
What? Bamboo?
post #34 of 139
There's no way.

Apple just moved to metals. They are not going to cheapen the iPhone experience by using plastic. Apple is trying to be as "green" as possible and they're not going to start depending on oil again to make the plastic they need.

One of the selling points is the screen. They will not make it smaller.

Steve would NEVER let the iPhone be thicker. They spent years designing the iPhone and they're not going to allow it to be thinker just because 3G or the battery needs a little more space. They will have found a way to cram it in there.
post #35 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

if enough analysts put ideas in the field, one of them is gonna be right I guess...
I say we make it game-show style: those who get it wrong have to eat a bug or something. Would really limit the number of these annoying reports.

Maybe it could also limit the number of Apple fanboy statements like:

"There will be no video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod."

"Apple will never enter the cell phone market."

"Apple will never switch to Intel processors."
post #36 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlassPoet View Post

Smaller screen? Plastic instead of aluminum? That doesn't sound good...

iPhone cheapo ... i mean, nano?

Lighter good. Plastic understandable for the antennae. Smaller screen - no, I don't get that.
post #37 of 139
The tenor of a lot of the comments sounds to me like the "no way that Apple will come out with the iPod phatty" (which, of course, they did, and coincided with a phlattening of iPod sales....).

Much as one would hope this rumor is not true, it could just be, sigh, Apple being Apple.
post #38 of 139
Hmm honestly, after reading that article, I think its a new iPhone, as in iPhone nano or whatever and not the rumored iPhone 3G, maybe iPhone nano will have 3G? but from the facts written, Im sure Apple wont be stupid enough to replace the current iPhone which has aluminum and glass to plastic. Oh yeah and don't forget the smaller screen isn't what Apple would do unless its a totally new model.

I found it odd that the next iPhone (update or a new model) will has plastic as the casing, its certainly contradicts Apple plan into going green, cause if you look at it, Apple has been slowly phasing out their products to become more green, the 17" MBP is now offered in LED, the Shuffle is now aluminum, the iPhone screen uses glass instead of plastic. So Im not sure if this post is true or not, but part of me is saying its a fake.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
post #39 of 139
I don't see apple going from aluminum back to plastic. Why would they even think about a smaller screen??? is the paper forgetting that the iphone a virtual Keyboard?? LOL, this claim makes no sense at all Is the iphone LED backlit??? anyone know if it is??
post #40 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It staggers the mind. If Apple could release 2 new iPhone models in two months (the Nano and the Pro?) without people catching on before now--that would be amazing considering how much interest and speculation there is.

Plus, if a new model was released, it probably would need a new FCC review, rather than
the quickie revision review people have been posting about for just updating to 3G.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Paper: 3G iPhone smaller, lighter than existing model