post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I think it's actually worse than that. I think the vo-tech schools are just generally regarded as illegitimate. For the last 50 years, we've been sending kids to college get a "legitimate" liberal arts educationwhether they want it or not.

Actually, I think we make them want it...."it" being the piece of paper, not the education.

Quote:
Back when I taught at a big R1 state school, I was always, always deeply saddened by kids who hated every class they took and hated the simple fact that they were wasting their money on an education they neither wanted nor needed.

I can imagine that would be disheartening, especially if they hated their major classes.

Quote:

I have never understood why they didn't just go to the local vo tech, learn a trade, and walk into an apprenticeship/assistant deal making more money than they ever would with a degree in "business."

Again, I think it's because we've taught them that's not OK. Vo-tech is for "stupid" kids. I know that was the perception when I was growing up. It's just the way our society is now.

By the way, I've heard a "business" degree is pretty useless unless it's from a top-ranked business school. Anyone else?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.