or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › UK's Carphone Warehouse now completely out of iPhones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UK's Carphone Warehouse now completely out of iPhones

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Carphone Warehouse, the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and exclusive iPhone provider O2, has completely run dry of both iPhone models as Apple is reported to have permanently ceased production of the 8GB model.

Word of the drought, reported by The Guardian, comes exactly one week after the retailer, along with O2, simultaneously noted via their websites that the 8GB version of the touch-screen handset had sold out and would not be restocked.

An internal memo distributed amongst O2 retail management at the time stated that entry-level iPhone had been declared EOL or "end-of-life," a term often associated with products at the end of their shelf life. Products denoted as EOL are no longer manufactured but may continue to be sold until existing channel inventories are depleted.

Stock of both 8GB and 16GB iPhones has also been spotty in the US over the past month, but Apple has been replenishing inventories in irregular intervals. The electronics maker, however, appears to be making less of an effort to restock its partners abroad, as adoption of the handset in the Europe has lagged far behind that of the US.

Europeans have largely been unimpressed with the high cost and slow internet access associated with the first-generation iPhone. The handset runs only on 2.5G wireless networks, which is increasingly seen as yesteryear technology in Europe, a region rich with 3G, or next-generation wireless networks that perform up to ten times as fast.

As such, Europeans are for the most part believed to be holding out for the much-anticipated 3G version of the Apple handset which is widely expected to make its debut at or around the company's annual developers conference during the second week of June.

Unlike the Cupertino-based iPhone maker, which has become proficient in managing channel inventories of handheld devices thanks to years of iPod sales, its European partners are believed to have grossly miscalculated the number of first-generation iPhones that they'd be able to sell.

To remedy the situation and make way for 3G models, Apple last month began encouraging those partners to deeply discount their existing inventories of 8GB iPhones. T-Mobile Germany was first to bat with a 300 euro discount, bringing the model down to 99 euros, and O2 followed with a 100 pound cut, bringing its local offering to 169 pounds and spurring a near instantaneous sellout.

Although Apple has reportedly suggested that Orange, its exclusive iPhone provider in France, do the same, the carrier has thus far balked at the recommendation.
post #2 of 33
I really think they are going to drop the new 3G iPhone on us a lot sooner than we think. I doubt the miscalculations were so gross that the 8GB phone would be EOL on May 2nd with no inventory in Europe for a June 9 announcement and and June 29 delivery date. Apple would be losing too much money here. With the discount, these things are selling, and as the purchase price is not so significant in face of contract acquisition (the name of the game in the mobile phone business), I suspect that the 3G is going to be released any day now.
post #3 of 33
I can still get 16GB iphones from my local CPW
post #4 of 33
So Apple's iPhone started at 4 and 8GB... 4GB discontinued and 16GB introduced for choices of either an 8GB iPhone or a 16GB iPhone... Now the 8GB is EOL'd leaving just the 16GB iPhone and???

Anyone out there with speculations of storage increases, if any? Will it be the 3G iPhone in 16 and 32GB? Is 32 the highest storage or might it go higher? 64GB? Or is 64 still too expensive???

What thoughts does anyone have regarding what they think the next model's storage might be, especially with the Apple App Store coming in the near future with native iPhone apps being developed?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So Apple's iPhone started at 4 and 8GB... 4GB discontinued and 16GB introduced for choices of either an 8GB iPhone or a 16GB iPhone... Now the 8GB is EOL'd leaving just the 16GB iPhone and???

Anyone out there with speculations of storage increases, if any? Will it be the 3G iPhone in 16 and 32GB? Is 32 the highest storage or might it go higher? 64GB? Or is 64 still too expensive???

What thoughts does anyone have regarding what they think the next model's storage might be, especially with the Apple App Store coming in the near future with native iPhone apps being developed?

The 3G iphone will be announced on May 19th.
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

The 3G iphone will be announced on May 19th.

That sounds about right. Any reason that you have chosen that date?
post #7 of 33
may 20th 6pm - 8pm Eastern Time


at a wild guess
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post

That sounds about right. Any reason that you have chosen that date?

I have a friend who is reliable.
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I have a friend who is reliable.

A lot of people are going to criticize you here, but I think you are right. There is no way that this is waiting for WWDC.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

The 3G iphone will be announced on May 19th.

Apple never release a major product upgrade on Mondays. It will be a Saturday for sure. But... I really hope you they do release it sooner than later.
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Apple never release a major product upgrade on Mondays.

The Brand New iMacs dropped on a monday.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

The Brand New iMacs dropped on a monday.

You took the words right out of my mouth...

It's not a good habit to use the words "always" and "never"...
post #13 of 33
hopefully they announce the new one soon, and current iphones will drop in price on ebay.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post

A lot of people are going to criticize you here, but I think you are right. There is no way that this is waiting for WWDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I have a friend who is reliable.

Makes sense, release the new device first, and talk about the SDK a bit later. That would be cool. Maybe Apple is actually running ahead of schedule.

There also have been no 8 GB refurbished iPhone models on the Apple Store for a while now (2-3 weeks).
post #15 of 33
This is strange and unprecedented. I didn't now how Apple was going to deal with this. Since I can't find any info that suggests the FCC can black any info of a newly approved product Apple would have to be very clever about how it releases the 3G iPhone. Since the 2.5G iPhone is essentially 'sold out" or, to put another way, not stock piled in warehouses and stores to be sold at a loss, could Apple be ready to release a 3G iPhone the day the FCC approves it? I believe only a back panel etching (if still metal) of the FCC # and packaging would be needed before shipping from China. That means that new iPhones could announced one day and arriving within a week.

Or, can Apple request that the FCC hold off on publicly releasing a product has passed in favour of a date set by Apple?


Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

It's not a good habit to use the words "always" and "never"...

It's always a good idea to never use absolutes.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is strange and unprecedented. I didn't now how Apple was going to deal with this. Since I can't find any info that suggests the FCC can black any info of a newly approved product Apple would have to be very clever about how it releases the 3G iPhone. Since the 2.5G iPhone is essentially 'sold out" or, to put another way, not stock piled in warehouses and stores to be sold at a loss, could Apple be ready to release a 3G iPhone the day the FCC approves it? I believe only a back panel etching (if still metal) of the FCC # and packaging would be needed before shipping from China. That means that new iPhones could announced one day and arriving within a week.

Or, can Apple request that the FCC hold off on publicly releasing a product has passed in favour of a date set by Apple?

It's always a good idea to never use absolutes.

It's nothing strange. O2 got rid of its 8 Gig iphones by pricing it below US iphones so that companies can buy them and export them to China and Russia.

It's not like iphones are sold out in France, Germany or the US as well.

Nothing prevents Apple from making any more 2G iphones --- except that O2 doesn't want to stock them anymore.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

The Brand New iMacs dropped on a monday.

Oh ok. Apple never release product upgrade on Monday (Except The Brand New iMacs "processors upgrade")
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Oh ok. Apple never release product upgrade on Monday (Except The Brand New iMacs "processors upgrade")

And the original iPhone was released on a Friday at 5pm for each timezone in America. I think the UK release was at 5pm on a Friday, too.

There have been many non-Tuesday releases in the past year. "Apple Tuesday" seems to be less stringent than it used to be.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And the original iPhone was released on a Friday at 5pm for each timezone in America. I think the UK release was at 5pm on a Friday, too.

There have been many non-Tuesday releases in the past year. "Apple Tuesday" seems to be less stringent than it used to be.

It was a joke as why it will not be released on May 19th
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It was a joke as why it will not be released on May 19th

I'm just not with it today. Not getting jokes or formatting my thoughts 'good'.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Carphone Warehouse, the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and exclusive iPhone provider O2, has completely run dry of both iPhone models as Apple is reported to have permanently ceased production of the 8GB model.

This is misleading. O2 have their own retail stores. Carphone Warehouse are a separate company entirely who sells phones from all of the carriers, not just O2.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

This is misleading. O2 have their own retail stores. Carphone Warehouse are a separate company entirely who sells phones from all of the carriers, not just O2.

What is misleading about it? It seem to correctly state the two companies functions. It first states that Carphone Warehouse is the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and then states that O2 is exclusive iPhone provider.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post

I suspect that the 3G is going to be released any day now.

Or, they might want to build up some hype like Nintendo did with the Wii. OMG they are all out of stock, what will we do. As soon as people can't have something, they seem to want it more - kids exhibit this behaviour all the time.

I reckon that it will be released before the WWDC though because they will want to focus on what software is out for it.

My question is will O2 subsidize iphones like AT&T might? If they gave away 3G iphones for £99 or so on a £35 a month contract, I'd be right there. £270 is just a bit much for a phone with that contract.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is misleading about it? It seem to correctly state the two companies functions. It first states that Carphone Warehouse is the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and then states that O2 is exclusive iPhone provider.

Carphone Warehouse are not the high street retailer of O2 - they're one of many that sell O2 products and are not owned by O2.

The original article said "Carphone Warehouse, the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and exclusive iPhone provider O2". That's not the case.
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Carphone Warehouse are not the high street retailer of O2 - they're one of many that sell O2 products and are not owned by O2.

The original article said "Carphone Warehouse, the high street retailer of UK-based wireless operator and exclusive iPhone provider O2". That's not the case.

Ah, I read it as the conjunction and was separating two subjects and predicates, not one subject and two predicates.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 33
the discount b tmobile germany was only 99 for the most expensive plan. the cheapest plan had/has the 8GB model selling for 249!
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is strange and unprecedented. I didn't now how Apple was going to deal with this. Since I can't find any info that suggests the FCC can black any info of a newly approved product Apple would have to be very clever about how it releases the 3G iPhone. Since the 2.5G iPhone is essentially 'sold out" or, to put another way, not stock piled in warehouses and stores to be sold at a loss, could Apple be ready to release a 3G iPhone the day the FCC approves it? I believe only a back panel etching (if still metal) of the FCC # and packaging would be needed before shipping from China. That means that new iPhones could announced one day and arriving within a week.

Or, can Apple request that the FCC hold off on publicly releasing a product has passed in favour of a date set by Apple?



It's always a good idea to never use absolutes.

yes, the FCC has that option to wait with the release until the day a company starts selling...

it costs a little more of course!
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Or, can Apple request that the FCC hold off on publicly releasing a product has passed in favour of a date set by Apple?

As smokeonit said, there is a procedure to delay the announcement. I think Apple uses it regularly. I think that's why the new wireless keyboard was a surprise, the same with the new wireless mouse.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I have a friend who is reliable.

I have a reliable friend too, unfortunately he knows d*ck-all about Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm just not with it today. Not getting jokes or formatting my thoughts 'good'.

My guess is a combined Star Wars edition / 3G iPhone announcement tomorrow

May the Fourth be with you!

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

Reply
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I have a reliable friend too, unfortunately he knows d*ck-all about Apple



My guess is a combined Star Wars edition / 3G iPhone announcement tomorrow

May the Fourth be with you!

i thought the WWDC will be the iphone 3G date???
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
vista = virus inside switch to apple
Reply
post #31 of 33
I move back and forth on this. Is the keynote for WWDC really the place to spend half an hour talking about new product launches? "Late June" [theoretically after WWDC] has been the launch date for 2.0 software and the appStore since Macworld. THAT is a big presentation in and of itself, and would probably run well over 2 hours if a hardware component[s] were involved.

Apple only ever gives newsmedia about a week of notice before an event. It could be that we'll see a special town hall event before WWDC to premier [or launch, though the reports from manufacturers don't back that up] the new iPhone model[s], ala last years iPod event, leaving lots of room for developer talk at WWDC and 2.0 software and appStore demoing at the event later in the month.
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

I move back and forth on this. Is the keynote for WWDC really the place to spend half an hour talking about new product launches? "Late June" [theoretically after WWDC] has been the launch date for 2.0 software and the appStore since Macworld. THAT is a big presentation in and of itself, and would probably run well over 2 hours if a hardware component[s] were involved.

Apple only ever gives newsmedia about a week of notice before an event. It could be that we'll see a special town hall event before WWDC to premier [or launch, though the reports from manufacturers don't back that up] the new iPhone model[s], ala last years iPod event, leaving lots of room for developer talk at WWDC and 2.0 software and appStore demoing at the event later in the month.

I agree with that assessment. Although it's become a popular notion that the 3G iphone will be announced at WWDC, It would take up a large chunk of what is supposed to be a developers conference. Combine this idea with the fact that there are many reports of iPhones being completely out of stock, and I'd bet that there is a 3G iPhone-only event before WWDC.

A different idea is that Apple is running ahead of schedule and WWDC will actually be the introduction/release of the new firmware and App Store. This also being done after a special 3G Iphone release prior to WWDC.
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I agree with that assessment. Although it's become a popular notion that the 3G iphone will be announced at WWDC, It would take up a large chunk of what is supposed to be a developers conference. Combine this idea with the fact that there are many reports of iPhones being completely out of stock, and I'd bet that there is a 3G iPhone-only event before WWDC.

A different idea is that Apple is running ahead of schedule and WWDC will actually be the introduction/release of the new firmware and App Store. This also being done after a special 3G Iphone release prior to WWDC.

Yes. It's always seemed a bit odd in terms of timing that WWDC is mid June, and there'd be a separate even at the end of June for iPhone 2.0 software and appStore. Certainly, it's a possibility that these two things could be demoed at WWDC and just "launched" later in the month.

The other element to what is sure to be an iPhone related bonanza in June is an announcement of all the additional regions they'll be moving into. Personally, I think this will be tied to the hardware event: "Here's the new iPhone[s], and we're thrilled to announce you'll be able to buy it in all these new countries...".

New hardware, new software [enterprise ready], appStore, new territories. It's a trifecta of goodness for Apple.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › UK's Carphone Warehouse now completely out of iPhones