or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's cash; new 10.5.3 seed; 3G iPhone photos; Boston store size

Apple's cash; new 10.5.3 seed; 3G iPhone photos; Boston store size

post #1 of 70
Apple's cash reserve is rapidly approaching that of Microsoft's. Meanwhile, Apple has seeded yet another build of its impending Mac OS X 10.5.3 update; some fresh photos of a purported 3G iPhone have appeared on an overseas discussion forum; and Apple's latest flagship retail store to open in Boston may be the company's largest yet.

Apple's cash may soon rival Microsoft

While Microsoft has long held the title as the technology firm squatting the largest mound of cash, Apple may soon give the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant a run for its money, literally.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer's Todd Bishop points out that Microsoft has reduced its cash balance from more than $64 billion less than four years ago to $26.3 billion this year through large stock buybacks, dividends and acquisitions.

Meanwhile, Apple over the same period has seen its spare coin surge from $5.5 billion to $19.5 billion as a result of its industry-leading growth in the personal computer market and its dominance in the digital media player sector.

"Keeping too much cash on the balance sheet can raise eyebrows among investors, who often want companies to reinvest the cash in the business or to return the money to shareholders through dividends or stock buybacks," Bishop noted. "Investors are now watching Apple's growing cash balance in much the same way they did Microsoft's a few years ago."

Cisco still sits between Microsoft and Apple with $22.7 billion in cash. Google is a somewhat distant fourth with $12.1 billion.

Mac OS X 10.5.3 build 9D27 Seed Note

Continuing to plug away at the next maintenance and security update to its Leopard operating system, Apple on Monday is reported to have seeded Mac OS X 10.5.3 build 9D27 to its vast developer community.

According to people familiar with the distribution, the build was accompanied by documentation listing no know issues with the software update and asking that developers continue to focus their evaluation efforts on a previously stated list of 12 core system components.

As was the case with recent builds, build 9D27 saw the addition of nearly a dozen fresh code corrections, bringing the total number of bug fixes baked into the impending Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update to nearly 215.

Some of the latest tweaks target server certificates, printer plugins, Directory Server, and Apple File Server.

More would-be 3G iPhone photos

More photos purported to be that of Apple's upcoming 3G iPhone have surfaced on the Chinese-language discussion forums of WeiPhone.com. The images depict an iPhone clad in a white plastic shell with added sensors and modified microphone and speaker grills, matching a recent description of the next-generation device recently posted over at iLongue.

Although the images are almost certainly inauthentic mockups or third-party casings, they're being republished for the sake of discussion.

Apple's Boston flagship to be largest yet?

Finally, Gizmodo is reporting that Apple's soon-to-open flagship on Boylston Street in Boston may emerge as the company's largest yet by square footage.

"According to a store employee, it's a good thing Boylston Street is so big: Apple estimates 1,500-2000 customers/hour will visit — more than 10 times the 160/hour that the average store gets," the gadget site reported. "It's something else inferiority-complex ravaged Bostonians can hold over New York."
post #2 of 70
Where are these pictures of the new iPhone??

~ Chris
post #3 of 70
Why are these photos supposed to be "obvious" mock-ups?

They look rather realistic and fit in with every significant rumour so far. They may be real or not, but they aren't "obviously" fake in any way that's apparent to me.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #4 of 70
Apple's cash outpaces their reinvestment spending, and they have bought a lot of things, but maybe they've been a lot more sensible in how much they pay for what they buy than what is typical for a tech company. Generally, it looks like they've been doing a lot better in actually doing decent planning and follow-through in using what they buy.
post #5 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Why are these photos supposed to be "obvious" mock-ups?

They look rather realistic and fit in with every significant rumour so far. They may be real or not, but they aren't "obviously" fake in any way that's apparent to me.

Maybe because if they're real, that makes it one ugly phone. It looks like a big, white Chicklet. Yuck!
post #6 of 70
Lord, I hope that's not the real thing.
Scratched AND filthy after 20 minutes of use.

If it is, then hopefully its just one option from many colors and black.
post #7 of 70
Agreed! God forbid Apple come out with a white iPhone! Yuck! Black, maybe, but I love the aluminum and glass look! I thought Apple was heading that way (alum & glass) for all its product lines??!!!
post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Maybe because if they're real, that makes it one ugly phone. It looks like a big, white Chicklet. Yuck!

That's hardly an argument though. I remember similar complaints about the "fat" nano. The same thing happened when we saw the preview pictures of the new desktop keyboard. Someone even went so far as to say that one was an "obvious" photoshop, although I think said person didn't even critically examine the picture for evidence of that.
post #9 of 70
Looks like 10.5.3. is getting closer to release. It will probably out soon.
post #10 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's hardly an argument though. I remember similar complaints about the "fat" nano. The same thing happened when we saw the preview pictures of the new desktop keyboard. Someone even went so far as to say that one was an "obvious" photoshop, although I think said person didn't even critically examine the picture for evidence of that.

And it also became my favorite keyboard of all time despite the crazy looking spyshots.
post #11 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelist View Post

Agreed! God forbid Apple come out with a white iPhone! Yuck! Black, maybe, but I love the aluminum and glass look! I thought Apple was heading that way (alum & glass) for all its product lines??!!!

I guess you wouldn't like my iPhone in its glossy white InCase Slider case.
post #12 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I dunno, looks kinda groovy to me.

The most interesting thing about the pictures is that everything about that white material, ... from the thickness, to the large holes drilled through it, to the metal rim around the camera, ... just shouts out "ceramic," and that would be a very interesting development indeed.
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelist View Post

They are, but it behooves Apple to use a radio transparent material on the back, which aluminium isn't. The radio doesn't have a bad range, but it could be a lot better.

That mockup matches the iLounge descrition of the new design to a tee, but they aren't real. A couple things that stand out are the On/Off Button is recessed and the image of the front shows a clear plastic cover is over the ear speaker.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #14 of 70
I don't know, I'd rather have 10.5.3 than a new iPhone.
post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

I don't know, I'd rather have 10.5.3 than a new iPhone.

Is 10.5.2 really that bad? I mean, there are a couple annoying bugs, but 10.5.3 isn't a must for me, just a nice plus. On the other hand, I'm waiting for second gen iPhone so I can finally buy one.
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I dunno, looks kinda groovy to me.

The most interesting thing about the pictures is that everything about that white material, ... from the thickness, to the large holes drilled through it, to the metal rim around the camera, ... just shouts out "ceramic," and that would be a very interesting development indeed.

I see ceramic too mainly for the superior scratch proofing and RF penetration though it should be relatively inexpensive, easy to colour and maintain a green image for the company.

My only concerns are will it be brittle or will it be too thick? It certainly doesn't look too thick from the photos. I suppose ceramics can be hardened with additives.

"iPhone Superconductive: Talk at the speed of light" (Coming 2025)
post #17 of 70
The "obvious" signs that this is a fake could easily be the result that it's an incomplete shell, prototype, trashed production model or any number of things. Of course every rumoured photo is dismissed as being ugly, Apple would never do that, ad nausium. ...Until it's actually released of course.

Edit: Did the original thread even state it's plastic? It might not be.
post #18 of 70
The site is "iLounge" not "iLongue". Not being nit-picky, but just pointing this out. I highly doubt a plastic phone as well.
post #19 of 70
If you look, it doesn't appear to be any internals in the pictures of this supposed new iPhone. No power switch, no lens for the camera, no audio jack in the port or anything in the sim card port. The only thing I can see is a little metal in the dock connector, but that could just be shielding. My guess would be that this is only a case, so there is no telling if this is real or not.

I must admit, a ceramic phone, as long is it isn't brittle, would be pretty sweet!
post #20 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

Is 10.5.2 really that bad? I mean, there are a couple annoying bugs, but 10.5.3 isn't a must for me, just a nice plus. On the other hand, I'm waiting for second gen iPhone so I can finally buy one.

Every time I open an Excel file and it opens in a very small window, I risk locking up my whole machine just trying to zoom it ... and this has been the case since I bought the machine, over a month ago. I'm amazed Apple has left us all with this for so long - 10.5.3 tomorrow, please!

Not to mention every time I put the machine to sleep I risk it not going to sleep properly and/or not waking up properly, and even if it does, I won't be able to reconnect to SMB shares. But this is all well known. I've been looking forward to 10.5.3 more than to any other point point update I've used - from 10.1.2.

I also wouldn't mind an iPhone ... or just some indication that it might make it here officially at some point, because I'm holding out until then.
post #21 of 70
Deleted.
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

I second your sentiments.
post #23 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I see ceramic too mainly for the superior scratch proofing and RF penetration though it should be relatively inexpensive, easy to colour and maintain a green image for the company.

My only concerns are will it be brittle or will it be too thick? It certainly doesn't look too thick from the photos. I suppose ceramics can be hardened with additives.

I've heard this before, but can someone please explain what a ceramic iPhone would be like? Is there a real world example today of something like this? I mean, I can't imagine the next iPhone is going to be like a piece of pottery. What is this ceramic iPhone like?
post #24 of 70

Have you guys ever seen drilled aluminum?

That's the telltale, shiny, silver chamfer right there. It's most likely a form of baked, white powder-coating. Those images look very plausible to me. Also, they could be just playing with different colors, we may see a number of colors.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I've heard this before, but can someone please explain what a ceramic iPhone would be like? Is there a real world example today of something like this? I mean, I can't imagine the next iPhone is going to be like a piece of pottery. What is this ceramic iPhone like?

It's not something you'll find at Pottery Barn or in an Meso-American dig site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's the telltale, shiny, silver chamfer right there. It's most likely a form of baked, white powder-coating. Those images look very plausible to me. Also, they could be just playing with different colors, we may see a number of colors.

That looks like the cheap chromes piece that is pressed around holes to finish off a rough drill.
post #26 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

That looks like the cheap chromes piece that is pressed around holes to finish off a rough drill.

I disagree, I used work on a CNC machine, and I used to make those types of chamfers in aluminum all the time. Just take a look at that part of the existing iPhone if you don't believe me. I'm confident those white parts in these photos are aluminum.

They are high-pressure, pressed, aluminum shells which are then powder-coated white, drilled and countersunk.

Which result in that classic, silver, aluminum, countersunk chamfer.

All the other parts of the phone (i.e. slots and holes) in these photos suggests they are made before the pressing and painting takes place. The camera chamfer is thereby designed to deliberately attract attention, and for obvious reasons. It's a camera.
post #27 of 70
Quote:

I disagree, I used work on a CNC machine, and I used to make those types of chamfers in aluminum all the time.

I then withdraw me assumption as you are clearly more qualified than me. I don't think I've even seen a CNC machine in person.
post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I then withdraw me assumption as you are clearly more qualified than me. I don't think I've even seen a CNC machine in person.

Oh right. They are fierce expensive things. When I worked with my dad we were going to buy a couple of them. The cost of those things would shock a grown man. Think 2 cars. Sometimes the chuck (the head that holds the tool) can cost $30,000 alone.
post #29 of 70
They look like a photoshopped custom iPhone case. No power button, no sim card, and the third sensor is clearly cloned using photoshop or similar. Just enlarge the photos enough and take a closer look.
post #30 of 70
Quote:

Yes, I've drilled quite a bit of aluminum in my life. The pictures are too coarse for me to go along with it and say it's conclusive. I really haven't looked closely enough at the current iPhone either.
post #31 of 70
Quote:

Oh right. They are fierce expensive things. When I worked with my dad we were going to buy a couple of them. The cost of those things would shock a grown man. Think 2 cars. Sometimes the chuck (the head that holds the tool) can cost $30,000 alone.

It depends on what they are. I use one and I'm working on buying one myself, though one that's probably on the lower end of the scale, I don't need big or fancy. I really don't think the price is so bad at all if you consider their productivity. For me, cars are quite limited in utility in comparison, though I still need one of those too. A new machine, I can justify, a new car is quite a waste of money in comparison.
post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Ceramic is more of a class of materials, not material itself. It's kind of like saying "wood" and someone thinking "balsa" and thinking it's a stupid material to use for a task when you're really using oak.
post #33 of 70
Quote:

No, that is part of the camera housing, its present on the current iPhone too, and is not caused by drilling into the aluminium.
post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

No, that is part of the camera housing, its present on the current iPhone too, and is not caused by drilling into the aluminium.

The current iPhone does have a shiny metal ring, too, the image above has a ring that is flush with the white case, not slightly recessed like with the current iPhone. The pic above also looks much more like a single piece than the current iPhone when comparing the two side-by-side.
post #35 of 70
I am sorry guys but I find the iPhone discussion so boring. This thread is about 10.5.3 also. So, can anyone can tell more on this or do we have to wait for it to find out? I recently found an anoying bug affecting apparently Macbooks. While scrolling in some large PDFs with graphics, fast scrolling may corrupt parts of the display. You have to scroll or jump outside the corrupted region and then scroll back again to rectify this. Probably a driver issue with the Intel graphics?
post #36 of 70
Quote:

Ceramic is more of a class of materials, not material itself. It's kind of like saying "wood" and someone thinking "balsa" and thinking it's a stupid material to use for a task when you're really using oak.

Thanks. I was actually aware of that. I was thinking something more along the lines of porcelain or some other whitewhare ceramic but the term "ceramic" was mentioned in the post I was quoting so I used that.

A demo model iPod touch is the closest i've come to an actual iPhone so take my comments with a grain of salt.
post #37 of 70
So I agree that some of the posted picture do have valid reasons to suspect it might be fake.
I also hope it might be fake, sorry I dont like white.

But as I sit hear reading these posts I was watching house on my tivo when I noticed about 28 min in the show when the team is walking down the hall to see a patient to run a test and....
IS that a white iPhone in her hand. Would someone else confirm this for me.
I have rewond, paused, played in slow motion. This phone she has looks a lot like these pictures but with no apple logo on it.

Conclusion so far, its either the new prototype phone in the show, or another phone I have never seen before that resembles the iphone but with out the apple logo?

If you can tell me what other phone looks this close to the iphone then these pictures might be that phone and someone pasted the apple logo on it. Or this might be the real thing?
post #38 of 70
Quote:

OR the other way round also

who'd want an oak bi-plane
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #39 of 70
NOT FAKE!

Take a look a this one again.

http://www.slashphone.com/media/data...phone-back.jpg

If you look closely... It's the same design. Unless they come from the same source, it would be unusual for two Photoshoppers to come up with an identical design.

C.
post #40 of 70
I agree. And it's not aluminum, since that would block the radio. Plastic back & colors FTW!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's cash; new 10.5.3 seed; 3G iPhone photos; Boston store size