or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T now showing "iPhone Black" model in device listing

AT&T now showing "iPhone Black" model in device listing

post #1 of 42
AT&T Wireless, Apple's exclusive iPhone provider in the United States, is now listing a second model of the iPhone in its device database called "iPhone Black," AppleInsider has been informed.

The finding, discovered by a reader on Sunday and confirmed by AppleInsider on Monday, is interesting if nothing else in that it may add a bit of support to ongoing rumors that Apple's second-generation 3G iPhone would sport a black plastic shell as opposed to an aluminum one.

The option to select an "iPhone Black" model is visible alongside the traditional "iPhone" for existing AT&T Wireless customers who are logged into their account on the carrier's website, and who choose to select or update their handset model.

Update: Gizmodo reports on comments from an AT&T official who claims the "iPhone Black" reference is a placeholder for a "scheduled catalog update" to distinguish existing iPhone models.
post #2 of 42
So this must be AT&T's F-up of the week. They got it out early this week. Steve Jobs is going to throttle someone's throat down there.
post #3 of 42
I would get an all black iPhone.
post #4 of 42
Actually, AT&T has something goofed up in their system. If you go look at all of the current phones they sell, they say Black after them. Check out the Blackjack II, Tilt, etc. all says Black.

Joe
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake97 View Post

Actually, AT&T has something goofed up in their system. If you go look at all of the current phones they sell, they say Black after them. Check out the Blackjack II, Tilt, etc. all says Black.

Joe

Chalk this up as another premature ejaculation on the part of AI's editors. They really need to vet their stories before publishing nonsense like this.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #6 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Chalk this up as another premature ejaculation on the part of AI's editors. They really need to vet their stories before publishing nonsense like this.

Where does it say on the ATT website that all those products come in black? Also, do you know that they don't come in black?
post #7 of 42
Quote:

Joe

Just checked the website. This is NOT a site-wide "error". A few phones have "black" at the end, but they seem to be legit. Looks like AT&T indeed screwed up.

The Tilt actually comes in black.
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Same here. WITHOUT the chrome trim, though. That'd be awesome if it was matte black all around without a chrome trim.
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
post #9 of 42
Quote:

Joe

all? i'd wager only those that are currently available in black. check airlink, audiovox, firefly, hitech, HP, novatel, option, option wireless, palmone, panasonic, pantech, siemens, sierra wireless - NONE of those guys show black
post #10 of 42
"The finding, discovered by a reader on Sunday and confirmed by AppleInsider on Monday, is interesting if nothing else in that it may add a bit of support to ongoing rumors that Apple's second-generation 3G iPhone would sport a black plastic shell as opposed to an aluminum one."

If it says anything, it supports the rumors that there will be a black iPhone. Not a plastic one.

Alumina can be colored and people really should not forget about that whole zirconia casing patent filed during the iPhone's development.

Regressing downmarket to the usual materials and fab processes would be really strange in the spectrum of mobile Apple devices.
post #11 of 42
Also, the "User Manual" links are the same as for the "normal" iphone.

And on a separate note, wouldn't there being an "iphone black" model suggest there will also be an "iphone (insert wet-dream here)" model? Let the speculation begin...
post #12 of 42
I went to the site and do not get these options.

Someone post a link or this is just some mock up someone did.
post #13 of 42
I have a Blackberry 8800. On the AT&T site it has always been called the "Blackberry 8800". Today, if I want to re-select my device, my only choice is now "Blackberry 8800 Black". More importantly, this phone has always come in only one color - blue.

My guess is that the AT&T webmasters are adjusting the fields for product descriptions and this is all smoke and no fire.
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

I went to the site and do not get these options.

Someone post a link or this is just some mock up someone did.

initially I couldn't find it either but you have to login, go to account overview and click on the link that says "not my phone/device"
post #15 of 42
Milkmage is correct, I just logged in to my account and clicked on "not my phone/device" and the "iPhone Black" choice was there.
Alum MacBook: 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD
iPhone 3GS: White 32 GB
Alum MacBook: 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD
iPhone 3GS: White 32 GB
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

initially I couldn't find it either but you have to login, go to account overview and click on the link that says "not my phone/device"

seconded. you do have to log in (when you log in the "Explore" tab is replaced by "Manage"). I checked, the snapshot is legit.
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

Same here. WITHOUT the chrome trim, though. That'd be awesome if it was matte black all around without a chrome trim.

Which is why I think the iPod Touch looks better than the current iPhone. Brushed aluminum is classy, chrome screams bling and tacky.
post #18 of 42
I'm more interested in the text that says the phone is available for equipment discount pricing with a 2 year contract. Does it say this for current iPhones or is this confirmation that AT&T will offer a discount when the new phone comes out?
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Yes, even the screen and the fonts, all black.
post #20 of 42
So, Apple will charge people who want black more for just the color, like with the MacBook?
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Yes, even the screen and the fonts, all black.

Que to the Rolling Stones:

"I see an iPhone, and I want it painted black."
post #22 of 42

-

Edited by iPhelim - 5/3/14 at 12:12pm
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Whaddya know, black is the new black.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

So, Apple will charge people who want black more for just the color, like with the MacBook?

No they won't like the iPod Classic and iPod Nano (and colors in the iPod Shuffle).
I read a lot here, post little.

--------
2.4GHz MacBook Pro
8GB iPod Nano
60GB 5G iPod
I read a lot here, post little.

--------
2.4GHz MacBook Pro
8GB iPod Nano
60GB 5G iPod
post #25 of 42
Wow a flurry of iPhone related developments over the past couple of days. Combine this AT&T screwup with the report MacRumors indicated yesterday, the darn thing could be released VERY SOON
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

"Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it." - DA
post #27 of 42
wow !!! excited
post #28 of 42
It is also showing accessories for iPhone Black, which could indicate this is not an AT&T mistake.
post #29 of 42
Apple has finally woken up to the fact that there is a huge demand for unlocked phones.
What better way to acknowledge the black market than a black iPhone!

C.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The finding, discovered by a reader on Sunday and confirmed by AppleInsider on Monday, is interesting if nothing else in that it may add a bit of support to ongoing rumors that Apple's second-generation 3G iPhone would sport a black plastic shell as opposed to an aluminum one.

Remind me not to call you to do my detective work in the future. That doesn't make the back plastic.

News-flash, what material in this?

Exactly.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAnt View Post

"Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it." - DA

awesome. that was my first thought. glad you beat me to it, i was too lazy to look it up...
post #32 of 42
Maybe AT&T slipped and let the name of the new iPhone slip out... "iPhone Black". Then after it was discovered, they quickly added "Black" to a couple other models to try to cover it up.
post #33 of 42
Isn't the blurb at the bottom of the page far more interesting?
"This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can also take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option." This would imply that the no-hardware-subsidy/contract-required scenario is being scrapped and that the business model is reverting to, as they say, business as usual. I might actually buy one of the things if I don't have to sign a contract with AT&T.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

Isn't the blurb at the bottom of the page far more interesting?
"This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can also take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option." This would imply that the no-hardware-subsidy/contract-required scenario is being scrapped and that the business model is reverting to, as they say, business as usual. I might actually buy one of the things if I don't have to sign a contract with AT&T.

Where would you go?

From the Macworld article on Rim's announcement of their BOLD http://www.macworld.com/article/1334...berrybold.html

"Carriers will determine pricing, and RIM had no details on which U.S. carrier will introduce the Bold (though AT&T, with the largest HSDPA network in the United States, seems a likelier candidate than T-Mobile, which has just begun to roll out 3G service stateside). RIM said that it expects the Bold to be shipping worldwide this summer."

Are they implying that other carriers have no or minimal 3G service?
post #35 of 42
"iPhone Black"? Wait until Rev. Al Sharpton hears about this....
post #36 of 42
zirconia
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAnt View Post

I'm going to have to go listen to that now
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by efithian@mac.com View Post

zirconia

No...
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Remind me not to call you to do my detective work in the future. That doesn't make the back plastic.

News-flash, what material in this?

I know, I don't see why Apple would ever go back to plastic when they've made it quite clear that metal + glass are the way they are moving.

I also don't think that AT&T mentioning iphone black to be as massive a cock-up as people suggest. What information was really leaked here? That there's a new iphone coming and it's black. Wow, I mean who saw that one coming? Now the excitement's all over, AT&T have spoiled the surprise.

For all you know, the new iphone might be coming out today. It is Tuesday after all.

iphone stocks are dry - the longer Apple wait to restock inventory, the more they and AT&T lose potential sales to rival carriers/phone models. They need to get the new one out ASAP.
post #40 of 42
Looks like AT&T took down the Black option.

No More iPhone Black
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T now showing "iPhone Black" model in device listing