Originally Posted by ShawnJ
This is a massacre.
Laugh it up, Shawn. I can't wait until global warming is exposed as a pure fraud. By then you libs will be on to the next World Ending Catastrophe.
Originally Posted by franksargent
1) The Earth was not warmer then it currently is just a few thousand years ago.
I did make one mistake there. It was several whole degrees warmer, but not a few thousand years ago. (though, it was at least as warm). No matter...the point is that the Earth was far warmer even before humans existed. What caused it then? Hmm?
2) Natural solar variations (known natural deviations (e. g. sun spot number (qualitative) or irradiance measurements (quantitative) for the past 30 years)) in solar irradiation can't explain the current warming trend.
According to whom? The sun has a profound impact on Earth's climate. Only a fool would argue otherwise.
3) The Earth is actually warming, particularly in the subarctic, arctic regions, antarctic regional perimeter, and higher elevations elsewhere.
And in other places it's cooling. It really just depends on what areas you're looking at it. If you're determined to see a warming pattern, it's easy enough to do. Of course, if you look at averages, you get things like this.
4) The carbon cycle is quite clearly sensitive to an increase of 3% from human emissions, as the CO2 measurements and ice core data clearly show this affect quantitatively (there is absolutely no dispute on this anymore).
You are positively unreal. There is no question that C02 levels have been going up dramatically. But there is real debate about whether that C02 causes warming itself. As for man's contribution, how can that be? You've acknowledged that 97% of greenhouse gas emissions have nothing to do with people. How could the remaining 3% possibly influence climate? In fact, let's go further. Let's say we somehow reduce our emissions by 50%. Are you then claiming that if we reduce greenhouse gases by 1.5%, it will save the planet from the horrors of Teh Global Warming? Keep in mind that assumes no natural change in the other 97% of non-human emissions.
5) Methane (CH4) is the gas all living animals (which includes humans) discharges as part of the digestive process, not CO2, during their lifetimes, and during their decay after death, from microbes (or other animals) eating them, this are known as microbial farting. Also the CO2 exchange between animal and plant species is a zero sum gain.
Really? That doesn't seem to be the argument these folks
are making. By the way, that link took all about five seconds to find. There are plenty of Teh Global Warming crazies out there who think that cattle contribute significantly to the problem.
6) Volcanos are short term and minor contributors relative to the GHG emissions from human activities, Until a Supervolcano
erupts, killing billions of humans, and returning the rest to The Dark Ages! Part Deux
Bullshit. Fucking total bullshit. Volcanoes (correct spelling, Mr. Scientist) release massive
amounts of greenhouse gases. They release more than humans could if they tried.
The arguments are simple and valid.
1. The Earth has been far warmer in the past, long before humans existed.
2. Global Warming, not to be confused Teh Global Warming, is apparently on "pause" as far as we can tell at the moment. Why?
3. C02 has not been proven to actually cause warming. There is some debate, in fact, that it may actually be a byproduct.
4. We've experienced nothing abnormal wrt Earth's climate to date. There are a plethora of other explanations for variances we now experience, including weather patterns such as La Nina and El Nino. All of these are ignored by Teh Global Warming Loons.