or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel: Apple tablet comment simply untrue

Intel: Apple tablet comment simply untrue - Page 2

post #41 of 64
http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized...k_info_p1.html
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There is still a missing product. The iphone is too small for say doctors who walk around talking to patients and having to carry clipboards and a laptop is too awkward, current tablets are too clumsy and heavy.

They've moved from slates to convertibles because handwriting recognition and doctor's scribbles = receptionist re-keying everythng anyway. Might as well just use paper.

Now the docs TYPE what they mean on the convertible tablet and everyone can actually read it AND they get the ease of form fill out for everything else. It's a little awkward but until handwriting or voice recognition works 100% without say...mixing up two drug names...keyboards are desireable.

Whether the virtual keyboard is okay for such short notes is arguable. I think perhaps but the dictionary (word completion) has to be tailored for medical use.

I think a MBA convertible would be perfect.
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I know right?!!! Thanks moronic intel exec with the loose lips!!

Chill Bill, take a pill.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #44 of 64
Think of an iPhone-like, slate-sized (A5) tablet Mac! It would make a lot of things look obsolete in no time at all, e.g. schoolbooks etc. I bet it's in the workings.
post #45 of 64
Is it to much to ask for a "Star Trek" multi-touch slate tablet (BlueTooth & WiFi, no 3G) from Apple, capable of running the iSuite of Apple software (standard Apple OS X apps like Safari, Mail, Preview, etc.; plus iLife and iWork); and can I get that bundled with a new iPhone nano (BlueTooth & 3G, no WiFi) that will tether to the tablet via BlueTooth as needed?!?
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkasper View Post

Think of an iPhone-like, slate-sized (A5) tablet Mac! It would make a lot of things look obsolete in no time at all, e.g. schoolbooks etc. I bet it's in the workings.

So you agree with us then?
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Is it to much to ask for a "Star Trek" multi-touch slate tablet (BlueTooth & WiFi, no 3G) from Apple, capable of running the iSuite of Apple software (standard Apple OS X apps like Safari, Mail, Preview, etc.; plus iLife and iWork); and can I get that bundled with a new iPhone nano (BlueTooth & 3G, no WiFi) that will tether to the tablet via BlueTooth as needed?!?

tethered? Are you mad?
post #48 of 64
Quote:

Nope. Not unreasonable at all.....and I'm not being sarcastic.
Oh, and don't forget to incorporate an AMOLED display while your at it! And don't give me that Samsung hasn't gotten production up to economies of scale backtalk neither Mr. Jobs!
post #49 of 64
I view this dustup as Apple-strength spin control, pure and simple. Enough people at Intel probably remember what happened to ATI after an ATI guy leaked details on a graphics processor just before a Stevenote of some variety. Intel's people apparently want to save this guy's job, not to mention any processor or chip deals which may or may not exist.

Now that Steve has PA Semi, he could put a Power PC chip into something, anything Apple makes, just to enforce "His Steveness." I don't think this is likely, but...

Of course, this being Steve, he's crazy enough to do precisely that.
post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Nope. Not unreasonable at all.....and I'm not being sarcastic.
Oh, and don't forget to incorporate an AMOLED display while your at it! And don't give me that Samsung hasn't gotten production up to economies of scale backtalk neither Mr. Jobs!

Don't make things complex OLED
post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

By the way, Apple just posted WWDC schedule. Interesting is how many "Session To Be Announced" are there! is that common in previous WWDCs?

Yes. That is quite common.
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yes. That is quite common.

LOL. Careful, you just crushed their dreams
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

tethered? Are you mad?

I suppose you will think me truly mad when I say it should have SSD, and NO ports whatsoever!

All connectivity is either WiFi, BlueTooth or wireless USB. Isn't there a protocol for providing wireless power?

So you have a sealed slate tablet with zero moving parts

And if you want to go crazy, I can tell you how I think the iPhone nano should be a wrist mounted device (like a watch, yes) with built-in video conferencing & bundled BlueTooth stereo headphones/microphone thingie

And about those Snowcrash 'gargoyle' sunglasses
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #54 of 64
Quote:

I suppose you will think me truly mad when I say it should have SSD, and NO ports whatsoever!

All connectivity is either WiFi, BlueTooth or wireless USB. Isn't there a protocol for providing wireless power?

So you have a sealed slate tablet with zero moving parts...

Yes, as the rest on the rear will be a moving part. Push it in to pop it out, and rest the Mac touch on a desk at a comfortable angle for typing and looking at the screen at the same time.

The "moving" rest will work similar to this touch bin lid:

post #55 of 64
Quote:

Yes, as the rest on the rear will be a moving part. Push it in to pop it out, and rest the Mac touch on a desk at a comfortable angle for typing and looking at the screen at the same time.

For such use, it would either be sitting in a 'dock' (next to the couch/easy chair, functioning as a home automation controller/media center controller/digital picture frame/etc., inserted into an iMac-esque larger display (like in the patent filings) or propped up with the built-in rest provided with the DayPlanner-esque holder that contains both slate tablet & wireless BlueTooth keyboard…

Now if I could pop the iPhone nano out of my wrist mount and use it as wireless BlueTooth mouse…
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

By the way, Apple just posted WWDC schedule. Interesting is how many "Session To Be Announced" are there! is that common in previous WWDCs?

Yes. Sometimes they are sessions for just announced features during the keynote and sometimes they are repeat sessions depending on popularity.
post #57 of 64
By the end of the year, presumably there will be, I predict IMHO, a tablet-esque thing somewhere between a MacBook and an iPhone/iPod Touch... Ye ol' Mac Touch or something like that. Maybe in time for X'Mas holiday shopping madness. It may or may not have WiMax/ 3G etc...
post #58 of 64
Quote:

Lol, now we have a place to keep our speculative dreams. How do you operate this?
-- Denis.
-- Denis.
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jido View Post

Lol, now we have a place to keep our speculative dreams. How do you operate this?

That's funny. Seriously though, the touch lid is a perfect example for a rest design on the back of a tablet computer, to enable the tablet computer to be used in the real world. That's what I'm discussing here. A rest on the rear that can pop out and pop in with a touch. It's a legitimate design implementation for a rear rest, particularly for an Apple tablet "Mac touch" computer.

The designer of that bin is a millionaire for a good reason, it's a good design. That's what I'm proposing, good design.
post #60 of 64
Quote:

That's funny. Seriously though, the touch lid is a perfect example for a rest design on the back of a tablet computer, to enable the tablet computer to be used in the real world. That's what I'm discussing here. A rest on the rear that can pop out and pop in with a touch. It's a legitimate design implementation for a rear rest, particularly for an Apple tablet "Mac touch" computer.

The designer of that bin is a millionaire for a good reason, it's a good design. That's what I'm proposing, good design.

See, here's the thing

All I see is a static (non-moving) image, nothing to show HOW the lid actually works!

Got a link of actual moving images?
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #61 of 64
Quote:

See, here's the thing…

All I see is a static (non-moving) image, nothing to show HOW the lid actually works!

Got a link of actual moving images?

I wish I did, I had looked and looked.

You push the dip in the lid (sometimes these dips are not much bigger than the iPhone's home button) and the lid pops up. To close the lid, you push it back in again. It's that simple.

For the Mac touch you could reach over the top of the screen from the front, feel the dip and push in while bringing the tablet down towards the flat surface (i.e. a desk) and the rest would pop out to support the tablet perfectly. When you are finished you could lift the tablet back up again (thanks to the gap made by the rest) and use your hand to squeeze the rest back into its closed position. The whole point of this system is all about practicality. The Mac touch won't be made unless it's actually practical, which is why I suggest this idea. It would be one if the tablet's defining characters.
post #62 of 64
Quote:

I wish I did, I had looked and looked.

You push the dip in the lid (sometimes these dips are not much bigger than the iPhone's home button) and the lid pops up. To close the lid, you push it back in again. It's that simple.

For the Mac touch you could reach over the top of the screen from the front, feel the dip and push in while bringing the tablet down towards the flat surface (i.e. a desk) and the rest would pop out to support the tablet perfectly. When you are finished you could lift the tablet back up again (thanks to the gap made by the rest) and use your hand to squeeze the rest back into its closed position. The whole point of this system is all about practicality. The Mac touch won't be made unless it's actually practical, which is why I suggest this idea. It would be one if the tablet defining characters.

I have to say, i don't really like the idea.

Extra bulk on the back and moving parts, takes away from the sealed aspect of (my) conceptualized tablet

I would think the main time one would want the unit in a semi-vertical position would be when you wee using a wireless keyboard with it. For that, I would have a Day Planner sort of binder that holds both tablet & keyboard, with a built in stand.

And while you are thinking of mentioning "what about when I watch a movie?", think about how folks currently do so with the iPod/iPhone lines that support video Most usually are seated when watching, have their unit in their hands, which are in their lap and are looking down into their lap at the video

Also, I am sure Apple would make a svelte dock for the tablet, if you were already carrying around a wireless keyboard (and assuming you were not using a binder to hold the tablet & keyboard) you could also toss the dock into your bag
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #63 of 64
Quote:

I have to say, i don't really like the idea.

Extra bulk on the back

This design is to avoid extra bulk. With a device 13 or 14 mm this little rest would fit in no problem, and would be flush with the back and practically unnoticeable.
post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin

Also, I am sure Apple would make a svelte dock for the tablet, if you were already carrying around a wireless keyboard (and assuming you were not using a binder to hold the tablet & keyboard) you could also toss the dock into your bag…

Or you could just buy a notebook. You want a real keyboard and an upright position the notebook is what you want. This is a different concept for a different market.

And as I said before I too expect a dock, but I think this dock will be for syncing the Mac touch with the user's desktop (or notebook). And possibly as a bonus you could dock it to use your Mac touch as a digital-picture-frame while docked and charging (or simply not in use) by your desk.

In short; it could be put in a dock (which it will likely ship with) or used with a wireless keyboard, but none of these two things will be taken with you. The Mac touch will be designed to be used by itself, which is why I suggest this built-in, simple-yet-sleek pop-out rest. I think it will need something like this.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel: Apple tablet comment simply untrue