or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Component report pins MacBook overhaul for third quarter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Component report pins MacBook overhaul for third quarter - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I hope this is a complete refresh. The iBook/Macbook really hasn't had one in five years.

off topic
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #82 of 91
Wow, never would have thought that ! I was pretty sure the Stock Exchange regs prevented that . Thanks ! By the way . . . still a good question about when they come out ! Thanks !
post #83 of 91
Any chances the newer macbook 13" will get an ExpressCard slot and/or SD card reader ?
post #84 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenninger View Post

Any chances the newer macbook 13" will get an ExpressCard slot and/or SD card reader ?

I doubt it. It's a pretty tight machine, not much room for an EX slot.

Now, I wish Apple would just put in an SD HC reader in their Macs. That would help marginalize xD and MemoryStick, both of which are unnecessary in my opinion.
post #85 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I doubt it. It's a pretty tight machine, not much room for an EX slot.

Now, I wish Apple would just put in an SD HC reader in their Macs. That would help marginalize xD and MemoryStick, both of which are unnecessary in my opinion.

There have been unsubstantiated reports that Sony was offering "some" laptop manufacturer some sort of sweet deal to put in memory stick slots as standard. I wonder if Steve would go for something like that . . . have Sony pay Apple to use memory sticks . Hope not , but who knows . Just rumors any how . . .
post #86 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFago View Post

We use laptops at home and I need a home file server, call it an XServe SOHO. Take the mainboard from a Mini, add 4 drive bays, perhaps one PCI slot and beef up the power supply and fans etc. Put it in a very cute mini-tower case. I'd think $999-$1299 wouldn't be unreasonable.

The closest thing I can get to this is a Mac Mini with an external drive enclosure(s) using Firewire 400 (not really meant for a server), or $2500 for a Mac Pro (way overkill). So guess what? I haven't bought anything ...

Apple wants us to get all of our music/TV/Movies over iTunes, but won't sell us any place to put it!

I run a Mac pro as my main computer and an iBook (soon to be replaced by a macbook pro 17"); my family use 4 macbooks and we have 4 PCs. I run a macmini with the HD replaced by a larger one and an external firewire 500Gb drive. This combination is plenty fast enough for a home server and runs leopard server happily. I would like to see a mid tower too but I don't think it would happen though! For a home server you can get away with the mini, it has gigabit ethernet, enough storage and is small and economical to keep on 24 hrs a day.

*but* an "Apple Mac" with 2 drive bays, 1 optical bay, DDR2 Ram (4 slots) and a single processor socket (still capable of 4 cores) would be great !!
Living the life
Reply
Living the life
Reply
post #87 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo28 View Post

There have been unsubstantiated reports that Sony was offering "some" laptop manufacturer some sort of sweet deal to put in memory stick slots as standard. I wonder if Steve would go for something like that . . . have Sony pay Apple to use memory sticks . Hope not , but who knows . Just rumors any how . . .

And Intel gives companies money to put the "Intel Inside" stickers on their machines. I don't think Apple is interested in such deals.
post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

And Intel gives companies money to put the "Intel Inside" stickers on their machines. I don't think Apple is interested in such deals.

Allegedly Apple told intel where to go on that one!
Living the life
Reply
Living the life
Reply
post #89 of 91
So are we assuming that the MBP and the MB will be updated at the exact same time? Both are going to get a refesh with Montevina, but lets say all the rumors are true and both are getting case redesigns. Would that happen at the same time?
post #90 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGirl View Post

So are we assuming that the MBP and the MB will be updated at the exact same time? Both are going to get a refesh with Montevina, but lets say all the rumors are true and both are getting case redesigns. Would that happen at the same time?

THere is no reason why not. Apple would no doubt have redesigned the case months ago and designed the circuit boards. They will just be waiting to take delivery of the production chips... In fact they probably have them too! Intel loves Apple! Apple makes Intel cool hence Apple being the only company to get the 3GHz quad core xeon for the version one mac pro.

Well if i'm wrong lets just hope they have enough to make me a spangley new mac book pro 17" !!
Living the life
Reply
Living the life
Reply
post #91 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowasaki View Post

THere is no reason why not. Apple would no doubt have redesigned the case months ago and designed the circuit boards. They will just be waiting to take delivery of the production chips... In fact they probably have them too! Intel loves Apple! Apple makes Intel cool hence Apple being the only company to get the 3GHz quad core xeon for the version one mac pro.

Well if i'm wrong lets just hope they have enough to make me a spangley new mac book pro 17" !!


Yes and a nice new 15" mbp for me!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Component report pins MacBook overhaul for third quarter