or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › All Apple MacBooks to use LED backlighting by 2009
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

All Apple MacBooks to use LED backlighting by 2009

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Apple plans for all of its MacBooks to use LED-backlit displays by 2009, completing a transition across its notebook lines away from mercury-laden panels that began last year with an update to its MacBook Pro.

According to a report in the Wednesday edition of the Chinese-language Economic Daily News, back light unit (BLU) maker Kenmos Technology will be the primary beneficiary of the move. The Taiwan-based firm is said to have been the Mac maker's primary supplier of LED BLUs in 2007 when it introduced BLU technology on the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Since then, Apple has gone on to make LED-lit displays standard on its 13-inch MacBook Air. It also offers them as a build-to-order option on the more generously proportioned 17-inch MacBook Pro.

The movement is part of the company's charge towards "a greener Apple," which kicked into overdrive last year amid increased pressure from shareholders and environmental organizations who accused the electronics maker of dragging its feet when it came to removing environmentally harmful toxic chemicals from its products.

As part of an open letter on the matter, chief executive Steve Jobs said plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible.

"Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays," he explained.

Jobs in the same letter added that Apple also has a plan to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.
post #2 of 56
Now Greenpeace will write a scathing letter, whining, saying it's not quick enough...
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #3 of 56
"All of its displays by the end of 2008" would lead me to believe that we might actually see a Cinema Display upgrade soon. Hell it's way overdue.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #4 of 56
Wow, what a surprise! Not...And i'm not sure if it's right to say that it's (only) because Apple wants to become greener, i think it's because they are just better than the conventional ones, pure and simple, and that they are sexier!!! If it makes Apple any greener then that's just a bonus.

Now please, bring that revised, slimmed down 30" Cinema Display with LED, HDMI etc, so that i can finally put my claws in one
Want to save America?

Vote Ron Paul for President in 2012
Reply
Want to save America?

Vote Ron Paul for President in 2012
Reply
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

Now please, bring that revised, slimmed down 30" Cinema Display with LED, HDMI etc, so that i can finally put my claws in one

Ditto !!
post #6 of 56
I wonder how long the led screens will last - there was a report a week or so ago that sony's new oled TV was performing at a fraction of what sony was representing the life of the screen would be.
post #7 of 56
I'll settle for a new 23" but yeah, long, long over-due.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

I wonder how long the led screens will last - there was a report a week or so ago that sony's new oled TV was performing at a fraction of what sony was representing the life of the screen would be.

BLU LED is not the same as OLED.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Now Greenpeace will write a scathing letter, whining, saying it's not quick enough...

Probably, and then if Apple did everything they wanted they'd find something else to cry about. Though I do understand the POV of a previous Greenpeace statement that stated they are harder on Apple because they are the industry leaders and the others will follow.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 56
Has it been confirmed anywhere that the impending upgrades to the MacBook Pro line will have Blu LED displays as the standard option?
post #11 of 56
Do you think the new MacBooks that are rumored to be released in Q3 of this year will have LED displays? I'm planning on buying one when they are released, and the possibility of an LED display is one of the reasons I was waiting. I figured that they would be LED since they (probably) would be sourced with the same displays as the MB Air. This new "LED backlighting by 2009" pledge by Apple now has me wondering.
post #12 of 56
"Mercury laden"?

laden |ˈlādn|
adjective
heavily loaded or weighed down : a tree laden with apples | [in combination ] the moisture-laden air.

For them to be mercury laden I think mercury would have to make up around half of the material in the product. "Laden" sounds a little dramatic to me.

Something less "run for the hills" would be:

Apple plans for all MacBooks to use LED-backlit displays by 2009, a process that began last year with an update to its MacBook Pro. This would complete a transition across its notebook lines away from panels containing mercury.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Mercury laden"?

laden |ˈlādn|
adjective
heavily loaded or weighed down : a tree laden with apples | [in combination ] the moisture-laden air.

For them to be mercury laden I think mercury would have to make up around half of the material in the product. "Laden" sounds a little dramatic to me.

Something less "run for the hills" would be:

Apple plans for all MacBooks to use LED-backlit displays by 2009, a process that began last year with an update to its MacBook Pro. This would complete a transition across its notebook lines away from panels containing mercury.

I agree that it is a strong word, but I'd also contend that it is not incorrectly used. As a ppm the amount of mercury is minimal, but mercury is very toxic and therefore it doesn't take much to be harmful so using it from a POV of its toxicity I would say it's acceptable.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 56
It's funny how on one hand Greenpeace is yelling about displays containing mercury but on the other they want everyone to move to CFLs for lighting your home.

There is a lot more mercury in all those CFL light bulbs that the amount in the CCFLs use for backlights.

But then who ever said that greenpeace knew what the hell they were talking about in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Now Greenpeace will write a scathing letter, whining, saying it's not quick enough...
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

Wow, what a surprise! Not...And i'm not sure if it's right to say that it's (only) because Apple wants to become greener, i think it's because they are just better than the conventional ones, pure and simple, and that they are sexier!!! If it makes Apple any greener then that's just a bonus.

Now please, bring that revised, slimmed down 30" Cinema Display with LED, HDMI etc, so that i can finally put my claws in one


I think a big factor especially regarding mobile computers is the power savings which leads to increased battery life.
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

I think a big factor especially regarding mobile computers is the power savings which leads to increased battery life.

And that is green in and of itself.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree that it is a strong word, but I'd also contend that it is not incorrectly used. As a ppm the amount of mercury is minimal, but mercury is very toxic and therefore it doesn't take much to be harmful so using it from a POV of its toxicity I would say it's acceptable.

Strength of toxicity has nothing to do with the amount of toxic material in this case. Computer displays contain it, but they are not "swimming" in it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

It's funny how on one hand Greenpeace is yelling about displays containing mercury but on the other they want everyone to move to CFLs for lighting your home.

There is a lot more mercury in all those CFL light bulbs that the amount in the CCFLs use for backlights.

But then who ever said that greenpeace knew what the hell they were talking about in the first place.

Reminds me of the time Jobs chewed out protesters at one of the Apple stockholders meetings. He said they should hire engineers so they could understand what the hell they were complaining about.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Strength of toxicity has nothing to do with the amount of toxic material in this case. Computer displays contain it, but they are not "swimming" in it.

Hence, my statemnt of POV. Laden can also mean burdened or encumbered which doesn't imply a quantity, just an undesired attribute. Personally, I wouldn't have used laden as the colloquial definition tends to imply a vast amount of something, but that doesn't mean it's incorrect.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

But then who ever said that greenpeace knew what the hell they were talking about in the first place.

Since when did greenpeace move from saving whales and preventing animal cruelty to becoming a shill for The Global Warming.

They never engaged in this Enviro-Nazi bull--it when I was growing up.
post #21 of 56
More good news. They can introduce those new designed laptops any time now.
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

It's funny how on one hand Greenpeace is yelling about displays containing mercury but on the other they want everyone to move to CFLs for lighting your home.

There is a lot more mercury in all those CFL light bulbs that the amount in the CCFLs use for backlights.

But then who ever said that greenpeace knew what the hell they were talking about in the first place.

The average CFL bulb has about 4 ml of mercury. The amount of mercury that would be released in the process of burning coal to provide the extra power to use an incandescent is about 12 ml. So even if the bulb is thrown away, that is still 8 ml less mercury being released into the environment. If the CFL is properly recycled, virtually none of the mercury in the bulb will be released.
post #23 of 56
Joseph Kesselring is rolling over in his shallow grave.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #24 of 56
[QUOTE=SpamSandwich;1254077]"Mercury laden"?

Mercury Laden = Bin Laden. They're messin' with us.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hence, my statemnt of POV. Laden can also mean burdened or encumbered which doesn't imply a quantity, just an undesired attribute. Personally, I wouldn't have used laden as the colloquial definition tends to imply a vast amount of something, but that doesn't mean it's incorrect.

I'll concede the point to the distinguished gentleman.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #26 of 56
[QUOTE=8CoreWhore;1254127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Mercury laden"?

Mercury Laden = Bin Laden. They're messin' with us.

I was going to make a similar comment, but decided it was just too easy.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #27 of 56
How long will it take for the rest of the industry to switch?

Are there any models besides this random Dell laptop that came up in my cursory Google search?
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by probably View Post

How long will it take for the rest of the industry to switch?

I'd say it'lll take several years before they completely switch. We have to take Dell's and HP's cheapest notebook and then figure out how old the tech is. Then figure out how much they are paying for the current display and then figure out how long it will take for LED BLU to come close ot that pricepoint. At least, that is how I'd try to figure it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

The average CFL bulb has about 4 ml of mercury. The amount of mercury that would be released in the process of burning coal to provide the extra power to use an incandescent is about 12 ml. So even if the bulb is thrown away, that is still 8 ml less mercury being released into the environment. If the CFL is properly recycled, virtually none of the mercury in the bulb will be released.

CFLs bulbs may be greener, but they introduce more poisons into the home when you replace incandescents with CFLs. Of course, even I have started to use CFLs, but I don't have little kids around the home.

I wonder if eventually we could have LED bulbs lighting our homes. I have seen them for outside security lighting.
post #30 of 56
I won't/can't use CFLs at home since most can't be dimmed. On the other hand CCFL can be dimmed and last 4 times as long as CFLs. LEDs will be the best once the price comes down.
post #31 of 56
The only comment I would wish to offer is that of someone who has had their life changed, forever, it seems, by mercury poisoning. I speak, not as a tech geek, an engineer, or an academic--but, as one who has suffered.

Whatever anyone, whether individuals or corporations, is willing to do to minimize the amount of mercury, and other toxic chemicals we are all exposed to in the environment--I applaud them.

Before my ordeal, I never looked at food, water, soil, and air, as invaders and potential adversaries, but I do now.

Arguing over the amount of mercury, it seems to me, is a useless distraction. Rather, spend the energy encouraging all those have choice in the matter, to do better. As consumers, we must do all we can to hold them accountable.

And, with the energy that remains--spend it on compassion for those whom the environmental fallout has proven less than benign.
post #32 of 56
To live2learn:

Thanks for your post.
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2learn View Post

The only comment I would wish to offer is that of someone who has had their life changed, forever, it seems, by mercury poisoning. I speak, not as a tech geek, an engineer, or an academic--but, as one who has suffered.

By what method did you get mercury poisoning?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #34 of 56
@live2learn

Thanks for having the presence of mind to remind everyone why this is important. It adds a dimension to the topic that is rarely touched on.
post #35 of 56
Of course! No one is in favor of mercury usage! It's a well-known toxin. Clearly, it came down to dollars vs. damages when the engineering went into these things originally. Ridding displays of mercury will be a welcome, overdue change.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Of course! No one is in favor of mercury usage! It's a well-known toxin. Clearly, it came down to dollars vs. damages when the engineering went into these things originally. Ridding displays of mercury will be a welcome, overdue change.

Exactly. Which is why I do my part to rid homes I visit of harmful mercury thermometers by dumping the mercury down the drain where it can't hurt anyone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Of course! No one is in favor of mercury usage! It's a well-known toxin. Clearly, it came down to dollars vs. damages when the engineering went into these things originally. Ridding displays of mercury will be a welcome, overdue change.

Mercury is awesomeness in every way, I beg to differ. Steel floats on it. It tells you what your body temperature is. It makes an awesome fluid electrical contact in my thermostat.

STELL FLOATS on it. if that ain't a party, I don't know what is.
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Exactly. Which is why I do my part to rid homes I visit of harmful mercury thermometers by dumping the mercury down the drain where it can't hurt anyone.

... ...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #39 of 56
Hopefully they'll finally solve the "white spot" issues back from as early as the Powerbook days. I've got some on my MBP that i'll be turning over to Apple through Applecare shortly.
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

"All of its displays by the end of 2008" would lead me to believe that we might actually see a Cinema Display upgrade soon. Hell it's way overdue.

Nope..read carefully :

"Apple plans for all of its MacBooks to use LED-backlit displays by 2009"

So what about CinemaDisplays?

"Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in ALL of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays."

IE: Once the industry can make 23-30" LED displays for roughly the same price as the CinemaDisplays are, then Apple will switch. Currently, large LED displays are front page CES fodder...costing a ton more than regular ones.

I bet new cinemadisplays in 2009-1010 some time. Basically, wait until most other companys are primarily selling LED displays (dell, samsung, etc) and THEN apple will release their own.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › All Apple MacBooks to use LED backlighting by 2009