or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone camera job; Vancouver store and iPhone; Logic 8.0.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone camera job; Vancouver store and iPhone; Logic 8.0.2

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Apple is hiring to advance the quality of the iPhone's camera. Also, Apple will open its first west coast Canadian retail store and has begun referencing iPhone for the country; an update has been issued for Logic; and refurb iPhones have returned to AT&T.

Apple hiring camera engineer for iPhone

Apple earlier this week began its search for a Lead Camera Design Engineer for the iPhone.

The hire for the company's Cupertino headquarters would study present and future CMOS camera technology with an eye to implementing it in the iPhone, making clear that the firm hopes to upgrade the camera past the 2-megapixel model in the original.

Notably, the company is also searching for an engineer who is an "expert" in image processing techniques such as auto-exposure and auto white balance -- adjustment techniques that are absent from the current iPhone, which so far limits users to as-is shots.

Vancouver Apple store to open, mentions iPhone

Apple on Wednesday confirmed the opening of Apple Store Pacific Centre, its first Canadian store to open west of Ontario.

The store will open its doors at the Pacific Centre Mall on May 24th at 10AM with Apple's customary prize giveaways.

In an unusual move, however, both the company's announcement and the official store site make references to letting customers sample and learn about the iPhone, despite no firm date having been announced for the iPhone's release in Canada. None of the four other stores in Canada make this reference.

Rogers Wireless, the official iPhone provider for the country, has remained mum on release details so far and says only that it will launch the handset later this year, though rumors have it as part of a simultaneous worldwide iPhone launch in June.

Logic 8.0.2

Pro musicians can now download Logic 8.0.2 (139MB), the latest update to Apple's audio production suite.

The fix mends customer-specific and compatibility issues and also includes updated versions of Impulse Response Utility (1.0.2) and Waveburner (1.5.2) that address problems in those specific components.

The patch requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later.

Refurb iPhone back at AT&T

After a brief drought over the past several days, AT&T's refurbished phone section is once again carrying reconditioned iPhones.

Stock, however, is dropping quickly. After early reports that both 8GB and 16GB models were available, a check on Wednesday evening reveals that AT&T has already run out of 8GB models. The 16GB version is still on sale for $350, or $150 less than its asking price when new.

The carrier has seen supplies of both fresh and refurbished iPhones dwindle rapidly in recent weeks, prompting the company to temporarily limit sales to one per customer and require a card transaction for the purchase.
post #2 of 30
Apple are going to improve their iPhone camera!??

Shock horror
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 30
Geez, I hope they improved the camera for El iPhone3G. Nyaaahhh! How's yer 10 million sold lookin' now, see?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 30
"Notably, the company is also searching for an engineer who is an "expert" in image processing techniques such as auto-exposure and auto white balance -- adjustment techniques that are absent from the current iPhone, which so far limits users to as-is shots."

Um, this sentence doesn't make sense. They are hiring someone who knows algorithms for auto adjustment techniques, yet the author (obviously bitter about a lack of features) mentions the iPhone not having manual adjustments.
post #5 of 30
FINALLY a serious bugfix for logic, it has been long overdue.

Nice to see all the improvements...but there are still quite a few things still broken.

It's a step in the right direction, but Apple needs to keep the team working HARD on bugfixes for the app. At least this is a good sign that they haven't completely abandoned the app, as some people have suspected for a while.
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

"Notably, the company is also searching for an engineer who is an "expert" in image processing techniques such as auto-exposure and auto white balance -- adjustment techniques that are absent from the current iPhone, which so far limits users to as-is shots."

Um, this sentence doesn't make sense. They are hiring someone who knows algorithms for auto adjustment techniques, yet the author (obviously bitter about a lack of features) mentions the iPhone not having manual adjustments.

Wouldn't you be bitter if you had to invent the news every day?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

FINALLY a serious bugfix for logic, it has been long overdue.

Nice to see all the improvements...but there are still quite a few things still broken.

It's a step in the right direction, but Apple needs to keep the team working HARD on bugfixes for the app. At least this is a good sign that they haven't completely abandoned the app, as some people have suspected for a while.

Man if 8.01-8.02 = 133MB update

Logic 8.5 is going to be a new app
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #8 of 30
My god, it's about time they put a store in Vancouver!!! The Metro area has over 2 million people! I was shocked when I was visiting a year ago, and I wanted to finally check out the iPhone, and I couldn't find an Apple store anywhere. I was convinced that my mobile phone Google maps was wrong! lol.
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

My god, it's about time they put a store in Vancouver!!! The Metro area has over 2 million people! I was shocked when I was visiting a year ago, and I wanted to finally check out the iPhone, and I couldn't find an Apple store anywhere. I was convinced that my mobile phone Google maps was wrong! lol.

Why does Vancouver get a store before Tofino (population 1200)
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

"Notably, the company is also searching for an engineer who is an "expert" in image processing techniques such as auto-exposure and auto white balance -- adjustment techniques that are absent from the current iPhone, which so far limits users to as-is shots."

Um, this sentence doesn't make sense. They are hiring someone who knows algorithms for auto adjustment techniques, yet the author (obviously bitter about a lack of features) mentions the iPhone not having manual adjustments.

I don't know what the iPhone camera software is like, maybe it doesn't do any auto, it's just fixed settings or very limited in its range?

I really don't know about your spin on it. There have been some iphones that didn't do auto white balance very well all the time, I think there was a trick to working around the problem. I haven't heard about it in a while, so maybe it was fixed well enough.
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The hire for the company's Cupertino headquarters would study present and future CMOS camera technology with an eye to implementing it in the iPhone, making clear that the firm hopes to upgrade the camera past the 2-megapixel model in the original.

Sounds like iPhone 3G will be just a "speed bump" of a revision and sounds that changes and additions to the soon to be released phone may be lacking someone's wish list of must haves, that is, a better camera. What else? No forward camera for iChat? Only a few short weeks until we all find out!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #12 of 30
The lenses for the new iPhone camera will be produced by the Taiwanese firm, Genius. They have already started the R&D.
post #13 of 30
I didn't know they had computers in Cana Duh
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know what the iPhone camera software is like, maybe it doesn't do any auto, it's just fixed settings or very limited in its range?

I really don't know about your spin on it. There have been some iphones that didn't do auto white balance very well all the time, I think there was a trick to working around the problem. I haven't heard about it in a while, so maybe it was fixed well enough.

There is currently a camera enhancement application and video application for the iPhone that can be installed if the phone is jailbroken. Both apps are pretty decent. Apple would be smart to just buy the IPR, make it better, and install it in the phones rather than re-invent the wheel. This would save on the R&D time as the people that have installed the software have done much of the beta testing. Also, Apple should just go with an off the shelf camera like the ones SE, or Nokia, or the other guys are using. Carl Zeiss is not a bad brand. Not to forget the inclusion of a Xenon flash rather than a simple LED flash.
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscored View Post

I didn't know they had computers in Cana Duh

That's because you're dumbed down.
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Why does Vancouver get a store before Tofino (population 1200)

Screw Tofino.
What about Ucluelet !
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Apple earlier this week began its search for a Lead Camera Design Engineer for the iPhone.

You mean they are just getting around to it now? Or, the original one got canned and now hangs around drinking beer with the guy who came up with the hockey puck mouse? I'll bet the first one used to get a lot of action at bars mentioning they were involved with the iPhone, until they said they worked on the camera. I wouldn't be surprised if he or she got drinks thrown in their face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

, yet the author (obviously bitter about a lack of features) . . .

Hey, hey, hey! Don't make fun of bitter people! It wasn't necessarily nice or tactful what Barack Obama said about us, but it's true -- we got guns and religion and we're bitter enough to use 'em! I've missed some really good nature shots because the camera is just "teh suck." That'll make you bitter.
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Logic 8.0.2

Pro musicians can now download Logic 8.0.2 (139MB), the latest update to Apple's audio production suite.

The fix mends customer-specific and compatibility issues and also includes updated versions of Impulse Response Utility (1.0.2) and Waveburner (1.5.2) that address problems in those specific components.

The patch requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later.

Yeah after I lost 2 days work due to a REALLY stupid "bug" in it, bluddy typical!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

You mean they are just getting around to it now? Or, the original one got canned and now hangs around drinking beer with the guy who came up with the hockey puck mouse? I'll bet the first one used to get a lot of action at bars mentioning they were involved with the iPhone, until they said they worked on the camera. I wouldn't be surprised if he or she got drinks thrown in their face.

Hey, hey, hey! Don't make fun of bitter people! It wasn't necessarily nice or tactful what Barack Obama said about us, but it's true -- we got guns and religion and we're bitter enough to use 'em! I've missed some really good nature shots because the camera is just "teh suck." That'll make you bitter.

I think it was mentioned at the time on here but im sure Apple started looking for a lead camera engineer just after iphone was announced. I think a link to the job on the Apple site was even posted here.

So basically this means the 3G one will use the same 2MP cam. I wonder if it is too much to expect video capture this time aswell.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I wonder if it is too much to expect video capture this time aswell.

Not if you would be happy with what was low-end technology about five years ago! \

Miniaturizing great technology is impressive, but making something that was big and crappy into something small and crappy is, to be charitable, cute but not particularly useful.
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Man if 8.01-8.02 = 133MB update

Logic 8.5 is going to be a new app

If there is going to be a new logic. This almost seems like a "final patch" to me.
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Hey, hey, hey! Don't make fun of bitter people! It wasn't necessarily nice or tactful what Barack Obama said about us, but it's true -- we got guns and religion and we're bitter enough to use 'em! I've missed some really good nature shots because the camera is just "teh suck." That'll make you bitter.

Oh, that is so "typical" of you! Which of the "57 states" do you live in, so I'll know which one to avoid!

I thought Dan Quayle was from the political land of 'Id', but it seems there are more idiots out there then the press gives credit...

For more Obama "Pearls of Wisdom" check out the link below... (don't think of it in a political sense, think of it as your 'joke of the day'! Possibly, this joke will be had on us all!)

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/05/21...gaffe-machine/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post

The lenses for the new iPhone camera will be produced by the Taiwanese firm, Genius. They have already started the R&D.

Source?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Which of the "57 states" do you live in, so I'll know which one to avoid!

TEXAS, of course!

The Iranians are Shiites, Al-Qaeda is Sunni. My guy is the only major party candidate who has that fact firmly in his grasp*.

*Unless Hillary can pull out some miracle dirt and cause a superdelegate stampede to her side. Pretty unlikely, but the Clintons are capable of magic! Remember when we had peace, prosperity, a strong dollar, a federal surplus, nearly full employment and we were admired by most of the rest of the world, and we didn't torture? The real reason for all that: Bill's magic.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucluelet View Post

Screw Tofino.
What about Ucluelet !

hmmm... we could compromise and put in at the airport? or right on long beach! tear down the wickaninnish centre and replace it with a glass cube... it would be the apple store with the best view!
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I think it was mentioned at the time on here but im sure Apple started looking for a lead camera engineer just after iphone was announced. I think a link to the job on the Apple site was even posted here.

So basically this means the 3G one will use the same 2MP cam. I wonder if it is too much to expect video capture this time aswell.

Video on the iphone is just a matter of software. I think there's an unofficial video app for the iphone right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I've missed some really good nature shots because the camera is just "teh suck." That'll make you bitter.

A cell phone isn't something that I necessarily expect to have any form of manual or less than fully automatic control. Mine doesn't seem to.

Up until maybe 6 months ago, I was afraid of anything less than automatic on any camera simply because I didn't understand it, until I decided I just had to learn it.
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Also, Apple should just go with an off the shelf camera like the ones SE, or Nokia, or the other guys are using. Carl Zeiss is not a bad brand.

Aren't Zeiss camera modules exclusive to Sony?
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

hmmm... we could compromise and put in at the airport? or right on long beach! tear down the wickaninnish centre and replace it with a glass cube... it would be the apple store with the best view!

Ya you're right, It would the best view of any Apple store in the WORLD! The German tourists would love it!
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Source?

Knowledgeable Source (sorry Apple not giving names)
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucluelet View Post

Ya you're right, It would the best view of any Apple store in the WORLD! The German tourists would love it!

screw them.... they got their own....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone camera job; Vancouver store and iPhone; Logic 8.0.2