or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What are your top 10 films?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are your top 10 films? - Page 3

post #81 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I'm actually fairly convinced that ver hooven tricked his actors in Troopers into thinking that they were making an action flick and not a critique of propaganda.

The book was nothing like the movie... I was hoping for the jump suits, but got Beverly Hills, 90210 in Space, instead. Because it was so different, I ended up liking it a lot. One of my all-time favorites. I always remember the immortal line, "We're in this for the species, boys and girls."... delivered by Doogie Howser!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #82 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The book was nothing like the movie... I was hoping for the jump suits, but got Beverly Hills, 90210 in Space, instead. Because it was so different, I ended up liking it a lot. One of my all-time favorites. I always remember the immortal line, "We're in this for the species, boys and girls."... delivered by Doogie Howser!

I'd argue that what you got was a devatsating critique of jingoism hiding behind 90210 in space. Remember the last scene with Doogie raping the brain bug?

My favorite bit is the shower scene, where they have that fairly detailed discussion of their world's political structure.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #83 of 155
Huh... I haven't seen ST.


rough list -- in no particular order -- except for Burnt by the Sun, which makes for it's own top ten.

Burnt by the Sun
Blade Runner
Solaris (no, not the American soul-wrecking, cheap knock-off)
Notorious
Andrei Rublev
Cries and Whispers
Aliens
Nanook of the North
Gladiator
Black Hawk Down

runners up:
Casablanca
Citzen Kane
From Russia with Love

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #84 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The book was nothing like the movie... I was hoping for the jump suits, but got Beverly Hills, 90210 in Space, instead. Because it was so different, I ended up liking it a lot. One of my all-time favorites. I always remember the immortal line, "We're in this for the species, boys and girls."... delivered by Doogie Howser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I'd argue that what you got was a devatsating critique of jingoism hiding behind 90210 in space. Remember the last scene with Doogie raping the brain bug?

My favorite bit is the shower scene, where they have that fairly detailed discussion of their world's political structure.

I was disappointed too that they threw out the mobile suits and most of the rest of the book as well. What irked me most was them keeping the RPG nukes while the soldiers ran around without any protective gear. :/

I'd still rate it OK as a 'popcorn' flick, it also has some great lines in it .

Since they left out the armor suits maybe they'll come out with a movie of John Steakley's Armor some day. Similar to ST, humans fighting giant insect aliens with power armor, but without so much political commentary.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #85 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I'd argue that what you got was a devatsating critique of jingoism hiding behind 90210 in space. Remember the last scene with Doogie raping the brain bug?

My favorite bit is the shower scene, where they have that fairly detailed discussion of their world's political structure.

i just saw it... and while i agree that that subtext was there... it was either all or none -- there were vast tracks of the movie that were simply standard fare action films -- the only real critique was the intermittent news reals and the fact that the script called for everyone being a little brain dead. it was cliched but wasn't willing to accept it was cliched...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #86 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

i just saw it... and while i agree that that subtext was there... it was either all or none -- there were vast tracks of the movie that were simply standard fare action films -- the only real critique was the intermittent news reals and the fact that the script called for everyone being a little brain dead. it was cliched but wasn't willing to accept it was cliched...

See, I think it's pretty clearly deploying those cliches as part of its critique.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #87 of 155
Yep, I think Verhoven did that in spades in Robocop.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #88 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

See, I think it's pretty clearly deploying those cliches as part of its critique.

i have decided that i am only really liking films that don't care how bad they are... this is the army of darkness style films that become so terrible, they twist back around to great.

starship troopers just takes itself too seriously -- one can almost hear the director telling everyone to try to deliver their lines with no irony, as they are making art... i am sorry, but if you want to mock something, you have to be able to mock yourself... there is no irony in that movie other than the clearly intentional overbearing dripping sort...

it is too light headed to be asking the audience to think... the movie wasn't subtle -- it actually presented no counter point to its core argument, which is ultimately disappointing.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #89 of 155
From a pretty astute review of it:

Quote:
Starship Troopers is something of a paradox, an exercise in and examination of mindlessness. I mean, it's not rocket science, but its cynicism is simultaneously smarmy and smart, exacting a cost for any pleasure you may take in its nasty-ass violence. In this respect it's not unlike Verhoeven's remarkable Robocop (1987), which was good gory fun as well as an astute look at Reaganomics, '80s corporate politics, privatization and the uncomfortable legacy of the Hollywood Western. The new film is less weighed down by major iconography (the robosuited Peter Weller seeking his identity had its heavy-handed moments), more relaxed and self-reflexive. For example, it lifts those "commercial spots" directly from Robocop: here these comedic insertionsappearing as if on television, commenting ironically on the progressively brutal actionmake the point that the military's recruitment campaign is perpetual, that war is business, that bugs and recruits are similarly expendable.

It's not a little funny that Verhoeven calls it his most "romantic" film, noting that a character says "I love you" and means it, but the fact that the cast is (relatively) fresh meat lifted quite literally from Aaron Spelling's TV-soap-land, suggests that the director is either messing with his interviewer or seeing romance as one big cliché. Either way or both ways, the film does do a number on those romantic clichés that constitute traditional war imagery.

...

I raise this question because it applies to the film's generally ambiguous tone. Starship Troopers may be less overt about its politics than Robocop, but any movie that turns Doogie Howser into a fascist has some serious cultural analysis going on. Its glib depictions of dismemberment, decapitation and horrendous evisceration can be alarming, but they can also be understood as the film's (rather visceral) assessment offor instancethe current U.S. drive toward escalating militarization, incorporation and globalization. This picture is not pretty.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #90 of 155
i do understand where you are coming from -- i just don't agree that it was done well or with the right pitch. my point is that the book that was being mocked was as mindless as the movie -- there was no higher intellectual ground achieved, if anything the movie justified the pithy and knee-jerk assessments of complex sociological phenomena that it was attempting to criticize... i'd rather not be spoon fed a political ideology, even if i agree with it...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #91 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

i do understand where you are coming from -- i just don't agree that it was done well or with the right pitch. my point is that the book that was being mocked was as mindless as the movie -- there was no higher intellectual ground achieved, if anything the movie justified the pithy and knee-jerk assessments of complex sociological phenomena that it was attempting to criticize... i'd rather not be spoon fed a political ideology, even if i agree with it...

I'm pretty sure Robert Heinlein would've hated the movie, since he wrote it for young boys. Veerhoven gave the film his trademark savagery but kept the amusing teenager naivete intact. A disturbing combination, leading some to call the film propaganda (interestingly, also a criticism of the book).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #92 of 155
Well, I'm not sure sure I keep track of a top ten list but here's my top 6...

Easy Rider
2001: A Space Odyssey
Clockwork Orange
Being There
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Star Wars



p.s. This is my first post .
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
Reply
"'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." -George Hanson
Reply
post #93 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70 View Post

Well, I'm not sure sure I keep track of a top ten list but here's my top 6...

Easy Rider
2001: A Space Odyssey
Clockwork Orange
Being There
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Star Wars



p.s. This is my first post .

Welcome, noob.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #94 of 155
Just saw Pan's Labyrinth.

OMG.

GO SEE THAT.
post #95 of 155
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Just saw Pan's Labyrinth.

OMG.

GO SEE THAT.

I own it. After the first time I saw it, I said out loud "THAT was a movie!"
post #96 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I own it. After the first time I saw it, I said out loud "THAT was a movie!"

Gripping film. Would never own it though. It's way too depressing.
post #97 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Just saw Pan's Labyrinth.

OMG.

GO SEE THAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Gripping film. Would never own it though. It's way too depressing.

Seconded, great film but not the type I'd watch over and over again. Similar to Schindler's List or Grave of the Fireflies in that respect.


We just watched Clerks for the first time, hilarious stuff!!
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #98 of 155
Oh man I was stupid and *again* forgot to put my netflix dvds in the mail.

Next in my queue is The Talented Mr. Ripley and Ripley's Game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Seconded, great film but not the type I'd watch over and over again. Similar to Schindler's List or Grave of the Fireflies in that respect.

I think at this point you are "fourthing" the greatness that is Pan's Labyrinth.
post #99 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Next in my queue is The Talented Mr. Ripley and Ripley's Game.

Don't forget Ripley's Believe It Or Not!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #100 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't forget Ripley's Believe It Or Not!

Might as well add Alien, Aliens, Alien Tres, and Alien "why-is-Wynona-Rider-in-this-movie" Resurrection.
post #101 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Might as well add Alien, Aliens, Alien Tres, and Alien "why-is-Wynona-Rider-in-this-movie" Resurrection.

It's actually Winona Ryder... you had the "y" and the "i", but reversed.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #102 of 155
Thread Starter 
I just watched the Holocaust Mini-Series (1978). I don't know if that qualifies as a movie, but it was pretty damn good. 9/10.
post #103 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Oh man I was stupid and *again* forgot to put my netflix dvds in the mail.

I hate it when I do that! \

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

I think at this point you are "fourthing" the greatness that is Pan's Labyrinth.

Hmm, not sure what you mean by "fourthing", looked it up at UrbanDictionary.com as well as in the regular one.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #104 of 155
Thread Starter 
I just saw The Bridge of San Luis Rey (2004). I expected it to be horrible based on the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. The script was confused and muddled, but every other aspect was superb, so I was never bored. I gave it a 7/10.
post #105 of 155
Watching "The Dead Pool."

The 80's synth-y soundtrack is unforgivable for a Clint Eastwood movie. I realize this is the 5th Dirty Harry film, but I actually haven't seen the previous installments. Anyone have a favorite?

*Oh my god. I just got to the part with the satanic, leather-pants-clad Jim Carrey character lip-syncing to Welcome to the Jungle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Hmm, not sure what you mean by "fourthing", looked it up at UrbanDictionary.com as well as in the regular one.

(Seconded, Thirded, Fourthed, etc.)

Pretty sure I made it up.

post #106 of 155
Thread Starter 
I just watched It's a Wonderful Life, in color. I hadn't seen it in several years. What a great film! They don't make them like that anymore.
post #107 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I just watched It's a Wonderful Life, in color. I hadn't seen it in several years. What a great film! They don't make them like that anymore.

Echhh! The colorized version! The horror! The horror!

Nothing less than the original black and white original for me. Adding color to a black and white movie is an abomination.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #108 of 155
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Echhh! The colorized version! The horror! The horror!

Nothing less than the original black and white original for me. Adding color to a black and white movie is an abomination.

I thought i'd feel the same, but it looks like 1970 color, not like 2008 color. It still has an old film look to it.

However, i'll be watching the original version next time.
post #109 of 155
Scarface
Pan's Labrynth
Y tu mama, tambien?
Unfaithful (Diane Lane is a fox )
A Life Aquatic
300
Hard Candy (Please, do yourself a favor and watch one of the most brilliantly written movies. If you like a psychological movie then this is it!!!)
Any movie with Chris Farley in it (i.e. - Black Sheep, Tommy Boy, Almost Heros, Beverly Hills Ninja, ect...)
No Country For Old Men - must see
There Will Be Blood
Taxi Driver

There are too many to list but go watch Hard Candy and tell me what you think.....def
post #110 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones007 View Post

Scarface
Pan's Labrynth
Y tu mama, tambien?
Unfaithful (Diane Lane is a fox )
A Life Aquatic
300
Hard Candy (Please, do yourself a favor and watch one of the most brilliantly written movies. If you like a psychological movie then this is it!!!)
Any movie with Chris Farley in it (i.e. - Black Sheep, Tommy Boy, Almost Heros, Beverly Hills Ninja, ect...)
No Country For Old Men - must see
There Will Be Blood
Taxi Driver

There are too many to list but go watch Hard Candy and tell me what you think.....def

oooh Hard Candy is sooo good.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #111 of 155
I forgot one: Dark City

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #112 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

I forgot one: Dark City

You know, I don't get what people see in that flick.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #113 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

You know, I don't get what people see in that flick.

Fighting God/Fate -- one of the most self-consciously godless popular films I've seen. A man is "born" in water at the beginning, and proceeds to transcend, and then kill, his god-captors. The Scientist is his salvific figure/conduit to self-realization.

Now, the whole space-vampire thing was weak, but otherwise it's pretty tight. The imagery of being manipulated for sport is very strong.


What did you think about No Country for Old Men?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #114 of 155
I like Dark City.


Here's my list I think. In some kind of order I think.

Citizen Kane
Taxi Driver
God Father
Blade Runner
2001 Space Odyssey
The Graduate
Groundhog's Day
Shawshank Redemption
The Color Purple
Cinema Paradiso (not the directors cut, the first cut was better)
post #115 of 155
I forgot about 2001.

I'm sitting here trying to ignore Tristan and Isolde -- but it's pretty damn good. Harry from Spiderman and Rufus from Dark City.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #116 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Fighting God/Fate -- one of the most self-consciously godless popular films I've seen. A man is "born" in water at the beginning, and proceeds to transcend, and then kill, his god-captors. The Scientist is his salvific figure/conduit to self-realization.

Hrm. Never thought about it as a kind of Frankenstein. I'll have to watch it again.

Quote:
Now, the whole space-vampire thing was weak, but otherwise it's pretty tight. The imagery of being manipulated for sport is very strong.

Agreed.

Quote:
What did you think about No Country for Old Men?

I thought it was a work of sheer genius.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #117 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

I forgot about 2001.

I'm sitting here trying to ignore Tristan and Isolde -- but it's pretty damn good. Harry from Spiderman and Rufus from Dark City.

Hahahaha! I had the same reaction to it (sort of like King Arthur). I wanted it to be bad, and it just...wasn't.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #118 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I thought it was a work of sheer genius.

Yep.

Going out on a limb here: Cautionary tale of human frailty -- with social criticism -- on a metaphysically epic scale.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #119 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Hahahaha! I had the same reaction to it (sort of like King Arthur). I wanted it to be bad, and it just...wasn't.

Jeez -- and what a setup. 'Makes Romeo and Juliet look like When Harry Met Sally.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #120 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Yep.

Going out on a limb here: Cautionary tale of human frailty -- with social criticism -- on a metaphysically epic scale.

I'm not really sure what that means. I thought it was mostly that capitalism is competition is struggle and replaces and destroys familial and social relations; in the end stasis can only be reached if the competitor is destroyed.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What are your top 10 films?