or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Home automation, location-based iPhone apps chosen for funding

Home automation, location-based iPhone apps chosen for funding - Page 3

post #81 of 86
Sadly

The ROI on any Home Automation system is going to be poor. There's just not enough of an ecosystem in place to make HA pay for itself. Thus the prime motivator for HA will be one of convenience.

Being able to control lighting, control motorized blinds and other creature comforts will probably play a bigger role in HA than going Green and conserving power.

I'm thinking about ways of making home life more efficient though.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It would really be odd.

Maybe so, but I didn't worry about that sort of thing. I assume that if I make a rigid statement, someone's going to find a counterexample, so I hedge a bit.
post #83 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe so, but I didn't worry about that sort of thing. I assume that if I make a rigid statement, someone's going to find a counterexample, so I hedge a bit.

Ah, safety first!

I almost never do that. That's probably why I do get into arguments.
post #84 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I'm not so sure I want to be living here, either. I don't mind the house being cool -- when there are people there, but I want to keep my electricity consumption to an absolute minimum when it's EMPTY!

If somebody in your house is going to change the thermostat, he/she is going to change the thermostat --- it doesn't matter whether it's via a manual knob or via a computerized UI on the tv on your smart home control system. Of course, you can decide not to give access to the smart home control system to your wife and kids.

So the only way to keep the house at an absolute minimum is every family member wearing a tracking device so you and the smart home control system can change the temperature after everyone leaves.
post #85 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Sadly

The ROI on any Home Automation system is going to be poor. There's just not enough of an ecosystem in place to make HA pay for itself. Thus the prime motivator for HA will be one of convenience.

Being able to control lighting, control motorized blinds and other creature comforts will probably play a bigger role in HA than going Green and conserving power.

I'm thinking about ways of making home life more efficient though.

Which is why for years companies failed to sell compact fluorescent light bulbs --- when they advertised it as a energy saving technology. It only took off in sales when they advertised it as a lazy option (i.e. it is so long life that you don't have to climb up ever again to change the light bulb on the ceiling of the bedroom closet).
post #86 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Which is why for years companies failed to sell compact fluorescent light bulbs --- when they advertised it as a energy saving technology. It only took off in sales when they advertised it as a lazy option (i.e. it is so long life that you don't have to climb up ever again to change the light bulb on the ceiling of the bedroom closet).

People are too concerned with upfront costs. That's why so many think that Macs are more expensive.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Home automation, location-based iPhone apps chosen for funding