or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 3G iPhone shell photos; possible Centrino 2 delay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3G iPhone shell photos; possible Centrino 2 delay

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
Photos have surfaced of an accessory maker's purported reference model for the 3G iPhone. Also, Intel may have stalled the launch of its Centrino 2 mobile platform, potentially affecting the release of future MacBooks.

3G iPhone case mockup reappears in Netherlands

While there has been no shortage of images purported to reflect the final look of a 3G-capable iPhone, a new leak by Dutch site iPhoneclub supports evidence of subtle but significant alterations to the iPhone's outer appearance.

Seemingly matching a southeast Asian leak from just two weeks earlier, a mockup allegedly being used by a European accessory designer has a curved back needed to handle the extra demands of 3G as well as subtler visible changes, including a thinner chrome bezel that gives the appearance of a larger front face.

The back similarly abandons the silver-tinted aluminum of the current iPhone in favor of what appears to be white plastic, matching month-old descriptions by iLounge that suggested Apple may return to offering multiple colors. The possibility exists, however, that the backing is simply left white-colored for testing purposes.

Those same allegations also pointed to additional, hidden sensors at the top of the phone that may be used for video calling. None of these are immediately visible in the accompanying shots, while the reportedly altered microphone and speaker grilles are also hidden from view.



Intel's Centrino 2 may face multi-week delay

Predictions that Apple will introduce new MacBooks at WWDC may have been dashed by a last-minute delay.

Citing contacts it claims are close to Intel, TG Daily alleges that delays in approving the Wi-Fi chipset for the Centrino 2 platform's mainboard will now push the debut of the architecture until July 14th, or between two to three weeks after a projected but still unofficial late June launch window.

This initial launch would only include Intel's standard 802.11a/b/g wireless chipset, the purported sources claim; systems that need 802.11n would need to ship two weeks later.

As Apple uses 802.11n across all its notebooks, a delay of the sort would stall the shipment of Apple's planned major MacBook redesigns until late July or afterwards.

Separately, an issue with integrated graphics chipsets associated with Centrino 2 has also allegedly created problems and would specifically stall the launch of new aluminum MacBooks, which are likely to depend on Intel's built-in video hardware.
post #2 of 84
From what I have read and seen, it seems the camera still doesn't have a flash integrated. Bummer.
post #3 of 84
These are the first of the supposed "leaks" that I actually see as a possibility.
Sent from my iPhone
Reply
Sent from my iPhone
Reply
post #4 of 84
These are not real. Anyone who thinks so has lost their marbles as far am I'm concerned.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

These are not real. Anyone who thinks so has lost their marbles as far am I'm concerned.

They even kept Apple's new color scheme.
Doesn't everyone know black is the new white?
post #6 of 84
Am I the only one who doesn't expect a MB update for several months? It was just updated 91 days ago and has an average update cycle of 192 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

These are the first of the supposed "leaks" that I actually see as a possibility.

They do look good but there are some little issues. There is no text on the back and device looks to be slightly taller and wider. Although, most smartphones do tend to be thicker to accomodate the QWERTY keyboard. Perhaps Apple is making the logical keyboard easier to use by using a slighty wider display.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 84
If Apple really is distributing iPhone mockups to accessory designers, all they would have to replicate is the shape, not the color or the materials used. Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to create plastic prototypes, to throw iPhone rumor-mongers like this from spilling the secret?

The real iPhone is very likely to be that shape, but I predict that it will be aluminum. It fits with Apple's new design paradigm of moving toward green materials. Also, I think we can all agree, plastic is pretty ugly.
post #8 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

From what I have read and seen, it seems the camera still doesn't have a flash integrated. Bummer.

Overloading the phone is exactly what Nokia, Ericsson and others are doing. Please let it be the best PHONE instead a failure at everything. The flash in a phone is just going to flimsy and useless, there is simply not room for power or flash to make it useful. Better to do video.

/Mikael
post #9 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

The real iPhone is very likely to be that shape, but I predict that it will be aluminum. It fits with Apple's new design paradigm of moving toward green materials. Also, I think we can all agree, plastic is pretty ugly.

Aluminum isn't necessarily inherently greener than plastic just because people think it is. There are problems with aluminum too. It's a very energy intensive material to convert from ore to alloy, and anodizing it requires the use of some pretty caustic chemicals too. That's why it's so expensive despite being more abundant than iron.
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As Apple uses 802.11n across all its notebooks, a delay of the sort would stall the shipment of Apple's planned major MacBook redesigns until late July or afterwards.

But Apple doesn't even use Intel Wireless?

/Adrian
post #11 of 84
The thing I don't get is why Apple would include their logo or any text at all on a prototype or or any pre-release version. Either this isn't real or SJ is once again successfully gaming the system to create hype by allowing logos on these. It also could certainly be SJ throwing the dogs off the scent by leaking bogus shots. I'm trying to think back to any prior "spy photos" which turned out to be real to recall if they had logos, etc. Every auto maker under the sun does everything it can to camouflage its cars pre-release, SJ's at least a little craftier than those guys. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

The real iPhone is very likely to be that shape, but I predict that it will be aluminum. It fits with Apple's new design paradigm of moving toward green materials.

All that is true, but Apple really needs a radio transparent material to cover the back. The iPhone has a decent antenna but with an all plastic or zirconia or Kevlar or carbon fiber or Area 51 alien spaceship metal as a backing it could have a great antenna. And 3G radios are much more suseptible to interference. This is one area I hope Apple puts function over form and being green.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

From what I have read and seen, it seems the camera still doesn't have a flash integrated. Bummer.

Err, you do know this is a mobile phone? Buy yourself a camera if you really need flash and a bigger lens.
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Reply
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Reply
post #14 of 84
I would think this is real, the back could indeed be used for testing purposes. Too bad there isn't a flash of some sort, and where is the front camera? Come on, it's really a MUST.
post #15 of 84
I do not, at all, understand why the consensus is that if it's colored in such a tone as glossy white or black that it means it's plastic.

They don't move backwards with exterior material quality. If you must reduce Steve Job's role at AAPL to one responsibility - it's in-the-hand fit-and-finish-and-operational-polish supervisor. There is no way they are just ignoring the nearly universal utterance made in all the first-gen iPhone reviews about how incredibly high-quality and substantial the metal and glass made the phone feel.

Plastic of any variety would be absolutely idiotic.

What am I suggesting is more likely? Ceramics, baby.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_casings.html

I'm too lazy to link the actual filing, but to anyone who's read at least a couple of their patents: I've never read one that had such incredibly convincing language explaining that this is the inevitable future of the mentioned Apple products. 100% radio transparency; greater density and rigidity than comparable metals; more powerful control over texturing, coloring and application of residues (such as applying a thin layer of rubber coat for grip or the like); manufacturing processes that had already been planned and detailed; and (even mentioned in the filing) it undoubtedly makes the devices created with ceramics feel more upscale than anything before.

The writing is on the wall - er, the patent office's website.

Everyone seems to be ignoring Apple's (read: Ive and Jobs) obsession with crazy materials.
post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Err, you do know this is a mobile phone? Buy yourself a camera if you really need flash and a bigger lens.

I agree. I don't know why people expect a $400 phone to have a camera equivalent to a $400 digital camera!!
post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Err, you do know this is a mobile phone? Buy yourself a camera if you really need flash and a bigger lens.

By this logic, anybody who wants to do anything other than talk should buy a laptop computer, a camera, an mp3 player, an address book, a desk calendar, and a notepad.
post #18 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I agree. I don't know why people expect a $400 phone to have a camera equivalent to a $400 digital camera!!

While i agree, the easy rebuttle would that even cheap cameras have a flash as do other mobile phones. Though those xenon flashes don't make quality flashes.
Also, to a lot of people a camera in their phone is a must have. I wish they never stuck cameras in cell phones, but my opinion is definitely the minority here.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As Apple uses 802.11n across all its notebooks, a delay of the sort would stall the shipment of Apple's planned major MacBook redesigns until late July or afterwards.

No it wouldn't. Apple don't use Intel's WiFi chips. That's why Apple's website and other marketing materials have never mentioned the word "Centrino". None of Apple's laptops have ever been "Centrino" based as you have to use the entire platform chipset to be allowed by Intel to use the name, and Apple have never used Intel's wireless chip.

A delay on the integrated graphics would indeed delay any new MacBooks.

I wasn't originally expecting any laptop updates from Apple at WWDC, but then AI started talking about the possibility and I got all excited (been waiting a long time to get a MacBook Pro with MacBook-style keyboard and magnetic latch). Now my hopes are being dashed. How cruel you are, AI.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While i agree, the easy rebuttle would that even cheap cameras have a flash as do other mobile phones. Though those xenon flashes don't make quality flashes.
Also, to a lot of people a camera in their phone is a must have. I wish they never stuck cameras in cell phones, but my opinion is definitely the minority here.

I used to have that opinion, but in the end, I really don't have a problem with it anymore. I may have only taken a couple hundred pics with my phone's camera, but it is handy when it's needed. It doesn't have a flash, simulated or otherwise. Often it beats not having a camera when I forget to take one with me.

OK, so it's not helpful for those that go to institutions that disallow cameras, but I think the real problem is those institutions, not the phone, not that the institutions are suddenly going to change policies. As far as I'm concerned, it's a policy that only penalizes the honest people. Anyone that wants to sneak pictures out can carry even smaller and easier to conceal devices to do the same thing.
post #21 of 84
that looks so much like case

its fake

duhhhhhhhhhhh
post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

By this logic, anybody who wants to do anything other than talk should buy a laptop computer, a camera, an mp3 player, an address book, a desk calendar, and a notepad.

He didn't say it shouldn't have a camera, he only stated that if you want a camera with a flash and large lens that one may want to invest in a dedicated device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

By this logic, anybody who wants to do anything other than talk should buy a laptop computer, a camera, an mp3 player, an address book, a desk calendar, and a notepad.

I disagree. The $400 camera comment above is dead on. Yes the phone has things you mention (calendar, notepad, etc) but their features are a subset of what you get on a laptop. Just like the camera is a subset of what you get on a $400 camera. Nasser's argument is well-said, if not obvious. I don't see any validity to what you're saying Haggar. Am I missing something?
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Aluminum isn't necessarily inherently greener than plastic just because people think it is. There are problems with aluminum too. It's a very energy intensive material to convert from ore to alloy, and anodizing it requires the use of some pretty caustic chemicals too. That's why it's so expensive despite being more abundant than iron.

+++++++

I'm not sure where the idea that Aluminum is a green material came from either.
As you point out it is very expensive to produce and recycle.

In any event people need to get with the program, iPhone needs to improve its RF performance and getting rid of the aluminum is one issue that needs to be addressed. Like it or not function is more important than appearance in the case of a cell phone.
Even given that there are a lot of resin options available to Apple from which they can make a very nice shell for the iPhone.

Dave
post #25 of 84
Echh! Fake! Fake! Fake!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by probably View Post

I do not, at all, understand why the consensus is that if it's colored in such a tone as glossy white or black that it means it's plastic.

While true the color does not imply the material, plastic is the rational choice of materials to evolve the iPhone on.
Quote:

They don't move backwards with exterior material quality. If you must reduce Steve Job's role at AAPL to one responsibility - it's in-the-hand fit-and-finish-and-operational-polish supervisor. There is no way they are just ignoring the nearly universal utterance made in all the first-gen iPhone reviews about how incredibly high-quality and substantial the metal and glass made the phone feel.

Plastic of any variety would be absolutely idiotic.

Obviously you know nothing about plastics, there is a tremendous number of resins out there some of which are incredibly durable. You should not assume that Apple will use the same cheap crap that the rest of the phone industry uses. There is a whole range of engineered resins that would be suitable for an hand held device like iPhone.

Look up resins like Ultem and some of the other engineered materials. I once tried to dent a piece of Ultem with a 24 oz ball peen hammer, let me tell you the stuff is rugged. As to the more commercially available examples look at any Milwaukee tool you might find, the plastics on their tools is very rugged indeed.
Quote:

What am I suggesting is more likely? Ceramics, baby.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_casings.html

Maybe maybe not, I'm not sure about the economics of such materials. The other issue with metals and ceramics is the use of such in the cold. If it is 10 degrees below 0 F you don't want a metal housing on your phone at all.
Quote:
I'm too lazy to link the actual filing, but to anyone who's read at least a couple of their patents: I've never read one that had such incredibly convincing language explaining that this is the inevitable future of the mentioned Apple products. 100% radio transparency; greater density and rigidity than comparable metals; more powerful control over texturing, coloring and application of residues (such as applying a thin layer of rubber coat for grip or the like); manufacturing processes that had already been planned and detailed; and (even mentioned in the filing) it undoubtedly makes the devices created with ceramics feel more upscale than anything before.

I'm not sure how putting a rubber coat on it makes is fell up scale, usually that is preparations for something else! In any event if they can deliver such at a reasonable price I will be impressed. I just know that one issue the new iPhone will have is dealing with RF performance, going to 3G just makes things worst.
Quote:

The writing is on the wall - er, the patent office's website.

Everyone seems to be ignoring Apple's (read: Ive and Jobs) obsession with crazy materials.

No we know and understand their obsessions but both of them realize that you can't get a reputation for terrible RF performance in the cell phone industry. Thus zero likely hood that future iPhones will have metal shells.

Dave
post #27 of 84
These are 100% real. I'm happy to take bets on it.

We have seen total consistency across 4 sets of images.
Unless there is some kind of international conspiracy of Photoshoppers, I am totally convinced that this is at least one version of the device. It's not a new iPod touch because you can read the word iPhone on the back.

It is clearly not a 3rd party case. It's too thin and the corners are too rounded to accomodate an iPhone.
All these images seem to depict the same thing: an empty shell. Without the electronics.

Notice that although the rear case is black or white. The Apple logo is a mirror-like polished metal.
This could imply a plastic case with a metal inlay, or a metal case with a colored paint. From these newest images it looks like the entire back of the case is the antenna.

The profile of the device takes cues from the Macbook Air. With a wedge shaped edge the device can be fatter while being easier to slip into a pocket.






C.
post #28 of 84
... and classic INTEL.
post #29 of 84
Make a BTO Carbon-fiber Shell and let people know they have a more impact resistant model to buy. It would sell.
post #30 of 84
Glossy back = fail

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

By this logic, anybody who wants to do anything other than talk should buy a laptop computer, a camera, an mp3 player, an address book, a desk calendar, and a notepad.

Not at all. But if I want to take good quality photos I'll buy a decent digital camera, and if I want a decent computer then I'll buy a laptop, and if I want a decent mp3 player then I'll buy one of those. I want a GOOD phone, and not a mediocre phone/camera/mp3 player/etc.
post #32 of 84
All these negative comments are reminiscent of all the 3rd gen iPod Nano comments. You know, the "fatty" nano pics that couldn't be real and that most people hated--including me--until it was seen in person.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All these negative comments are reminiscent of all the 3rd gen iPod Nano comments.

The same thing happened when photos of the new keyboard showed up. At least one person even said that it had to be a photoshop job.

Quote:
You know, the "fatty" nano pics that couldn't be real and that most people hated--including me--until it was seen in person.

My sister still doesn't like it.
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Obviously you know nothing about plastics, there is a tremendous number of resins out there some of which are incredibly durable. You should not assume that Apple will use the same cheap crap that the rest of the phone industry uses. There is a whole range of engineered resins that would be suitable for an hand held device like iPhone.

Look up resins like Ultem and some of the other engineered materials. I once tried to dent a piece of Ultem with a 24 oz ball peen hammer, let me tell you the stuff is rugged. As to the more commercially available examples look at any Milwaukee tool you might find, the plastics on their tools is very rugged indeed.

Dave

Excellent

I had been pushing (I *guess* trolling) this opinion in multiple venues hoping someone more knowledgeable would school me.

Any more neat materials to read about besides Ultem?
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My sister still doesn't like it.

The Minis and other Nanos certainly feel more natural in your hand. That is my brother's biggest issue with it, but the choice to include a bigger screen was a good move. I suppose they could make it a "candy bar" again by removing the clickwheel and allowing you to watch video sideways like the Touch, but then we have an issue with blind tactileless operation of the device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Err, you do know this is a mobile phone? Buy yourself a camera if you really need flash and a bigger lens.

It's not a matter of me wanting a 10 megapixel camera in a phone, it's a matter of having something quick and easy. Some new phones have a rudimentary flash, and while it may not have the power of a digital camera, it is something that can be used in a bind. In regular light, the iPhone camera does an *marginal* job. Take away some light, and the phone is garbage. If I see a something I like in low light, I can't take a quick picture and probably won't get a chance to take that picture again. I know there is no phone that will ever please everyone, but if some cheap phones can have rudimentary flash, this "jesus" phone can at least have something like it.
post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by probably View Post

Excellent

I had been pushing (I *guess* trolling) this opinion in multiple venues hoping someone more knowledgeable would school me.

Any more neat materials to read about besides Ultem?

If there are these super plastics readily available, I'm wondering why Apple hasn't used them already?

MacBook cases, iPods, and pretty much all the white plastic stuff Apple has made are all notoriously easy to scratch. I would have thought that if Apple were inclined to use a super durable plastic housing material, they would have done it long before now. Plus, they seem to be steadily moving away from plastics in their case designs, in general.

I'm holding out for Zirconium, myself. Apple has the patent on file, it's super hard and radio transparent, and is in common use for industrial applications. It strikes as exactly the kind of forward thinking material technology that Apple would make every effort to press into service, as a product differentiator. Like, show up at the Zirconium plant and challenge them to fabricate a light, thin, impact resistant case.

I'm no authority, but I would imagine that a ceramic material would be far greener than either plastic or aluminum, as well.

All hail bad ass ceramic iPhones!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #38 of 84
People should be asknig themselves why every "leaked" photo we get of this phone is blurry, from a bad angle, or doesn't focus in on the bits that matter (often a picture of the back of the case). I wouldn't put much weight in any of these pics, and they could even be leaks that Apple itself have setup.
post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

All that is true, but Apple really needs a radio transparent material to cover the back. The iPhone has a decent antenna but with an all plastic or zirconia or Kevlar or carbon fiber or Area 51 alien spaceship metal as a backing it could have a great antenna. And 3G radios are much more suseptible to interference. This is one area I hope Apple puts function over form and being green.

I vote for the alien metal. I have some of it here. It's pretty good.
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

By this logic, anybody who wants to do anything other than talk should buy a laptop computer, a camera, an mp3 player, an address book, a desk calendar, and a notepad.

The problem is that unless you want your phone to look like a camera, there is simply no way it's going to be as good as an even low end point and shoot. The sensor chip is too small. The lens is too small, and the circuitry required to pull it all together costs too much for a phone.

That doesn't mean that they can't take usable pictures, but even 5 MP is wasted. I've gotten images from a couple of these "picture" phones, and the pictures are only good when seen on a monitor, over the internet. Try to make a good 8 x 10 print, and they fall apart.

How much do you want to pay for the camera function? $10, $25, $50, $75?, $100?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 3G iPhone shell photos; possible Centrino 2 delay