or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

post #1 of 104
Didn't see this mentioned, hope it isn't a repost.

Here is the combo update:10.5.3 update (thanks Riot)

-Keith

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #2 of 104
Well spotted.

420MB?

WTF?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #3 of 104
Apple on Wednesday released Mac OS X 10.5.3, a recommended update for all users of its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system that includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.

As of press time, the software was available via Software Update mechanism built into Mac OS X but had not yet been posted to Apple's website. Among the many fixes included in 10.5.3 are the following:

General
Fixes a font issue that could result in Helvetica Narrow being used in applications instead of Helvetica.
Addresses an issue with stuttering video and audio playback in certain USB devices.
Resolves stability issues with Word of the Day, iTunes Artwork, and Slideshow screen savers.
Fixes an issue in which certain attached hard drives may not show up in the Finder.
Addresses an issue with .Mac syncing of Dashboard widgets over multiple Macs that use different screen resolutions.
Includes additional RAW image support for several cameras.
Improves the accuracy of the Software Update progress bar indicator.
Addresses an issue in which Finder may not be available if the computer name is blank in Sharing preferences.
Improves Active Directory binding and login.
Eliminates a delay when logging in as an Active Directory user in a .local domain.
Improves Spotlight searches on a AFP file server volumes.
Clients can now change their password at the login window when bound to a Mac OS X 10.4 Open Directory server.
Improves Safari reliability when connecting to the Internet through a Microsoft ISA proxy.
Address Book
Addresses reliability issues when searching for contacts using built-in search.
Resolves issues with mapping addresses that contain an ampersand character (&).

AirPort
Improves 802.1X behavior and reliability.Â*
Improves reliability when using Time Capsule.
Automator
Addresses an issue in which some actions may not work with the "Show When Run" option enabled.
Resolves an issue in which the "New iCal Event" action may not work.
Resolves an issue that prevents workflows from being saved in the Finder's contextual menu.
Fixes reliability issues for Automator scripts that search for files by date.Â*
Resolves an issue that prevents workflows from being saved in the Finder's contextual menu.
Addresses an issue in which Automator workflows as Finder plugins do not work when the workflow begins with the "Get Selected Finder Items" action.
Fixes an issue in which the "Copy Files" action does not reliably work when added from AutomatorÂs warning dialog.
iCal
Addresses potential privacy issues by allowing events to be marked as private.
Resolves an issue in which the inspector does not show capacity and availability info for conference rooms within a building.
Addresses an issue in which the current day could appear in the left-most column of the weekly view.
Addresses reliability issues with meeting alarms, invitations and attachments.
Resolves issues with reliability when restoring from iCal backups.
Fixes accuracy issues with auto-completion, availability data and location names.
Resolves an issue in which iCal may send cancellation notices for events in the past after a calendar is deleted.
Fixes reliability issues with iCal syncing.
iChat
Addresses reliability issues with screen sharing.
Resolves an issue in which saved chat transcripts may reported as "still in use" after opening and closing them in iChat.
Resolves an issue with group chats not being indexed in Spotlight.
Only the last 250 messages of an active chat are saved.Â* Fixed to save unlimited number of lines.
Addresses issues with echo cancellation that may occur on portable Macs.
Mail
Resolves an issue in which Mail may prevent idle sleep when set to automatically check for new messages every minute.
Addresses stability issues that may be encountered when dragging large attachments into an email message.
Fixes an issue that could occur if two compose windows are open when dragging a file to the Mail icon in the Dock.
Addresses reliability issues when changes are made to a mailbox while offline.
Resolves wrapping issues that may be found with consecutive spaces in plain text.
Fixes issues with certain web pages appearing garbled when emailed from Safari.
Fixes an issue in which the Sent, Drafts, and Outbox mailboxes incorrectly list the "cc" recipients in the "To" column.
Addresses reliability issues with attachments added to plain text notes.
Fixes reliability issues with authenticated RSS feeds.
Resolves an issue in which attaching an alias to an email message may not send the actual file.
Parental Controls
Addresses reliability issues with application logging and time limits.
Resolves an issue in which Parental Controls may prevent forced sleep.Â*
Addresses performance issues with web content filters.
Fixes an issue with managed accounts in which iChat transcripts may not be created.
Addresses issues with 4-byte files and whitelist.
Spaces
Resolves an issue in which switching to a different space and returning back to the original space may reorder the application windows with a different active window.
Resolves an issue in which activating an application from the Dock switches to a different space, even if there is a window for that application in the current space.
Fixes an issue in which Command-Tab may incorrectly switch to a new space.
Addresses reliability issues with Spaces when syncing preferences over .Mac.
Time Machine
Includes fixes for Time Machine compatibility with Time Capsule.
Resolves certain issues when backing up a portable Mac that is on battery power.Â*
Addresses compatibility issues with Aperture 2.
Addresses reliability issues when performing a full restore from a Time Machine backup.
Fixes an issue in which certain function keys may be disabled after using Time Machine.Â*
Fixes a possible alert message that incorrectly states a backup volume does not have enough space.Â*
Updates Time Machine to reliably restore attachments and messages in Mail.
VoiceOver
Includes Braille Update 1.0 which enablesÂ*GW Micro, HandyTech, HIMS, Nippon, and Papenmeier Refreshable Braille displays.
Addresses an issue with Braille dot 7 and 8 underlining.
Fixes an issue in which HTML page anchors may be ignored by the VoiceOver cursor.
Fixes an issue that prevented Hot Spots from being usedÂ*in text areas.
Resolves an issue with spell checking in which VoiceOver may only announce the first misspelled word if there are multiple words spelled incorrectly.Â*

Google also adds via its Mac blog that Address Book application in Mac OS X 10.5.3 now lets iPhone users sync their Address Book with Google Contacts.
post #4 of 104
The 10.5.3 Combo Updater isn't advertised or linked to on Apple's site, but it's up.

536 MB!!! Holy Bandwidth, Batman.
post #5 of 104
Just installed it and no problems for me......
post #6 of 104
"Addresses compatibility issues with Aperture 2."

Yippee! Let's hope they fixed it the right way this time! (Although it would be nice if their documentation said how they fixed, ie, what the new behavior was, rather than waiting for the guinea pigs to figure it out for us. )
post #7 of 104
I can only hope and pray that it fixes Apple Mail issues for me and lots of other users in our company. Especially when sending attachments. Just had a problem before I came home today with a guy sending a bog standard email which simply would not send. He had made some of the text bold. I simply re-typed it and did not change any aspect of the font and it went but this sort of stuff has been ongoing for us for some time. Anyone else totally brassed off with Mail?

Just wondering...
post #8 of 104
i had some issues adding attachments to imap emails via drag&drop. mail wouldn't respond anymore. strangely, this didn't happen with pop3 accounts... i'm crossing my fingers this annoyance is fixed now. cheers...
post #9 of 104
just loaded on white 24 inch imac. seems super smooth so far. i ran xslimmer and restarted twice. didn't take any extra hd space after xslimmer. system seems a little faster over all.
post #10 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post

system seems a little faster over all.

would you say that it feels snappier?
post #11 of 104
Wifi still not working
post #12 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post

The 10.5.3 Combo Updater isn't advertised or linked to on Apple's site, but it's up.

24 mb/s theoretical with 18 mb/s actual. Downloaded in no time.
post #13 of 104
Everything feels snappier! Safari opens... Boom!

Actually I notice no speed difference in anything except repairing disk permissions. 2.4ghz iMac.

Maybe it's because my iMac is so blazingly fast that I will never notice a speed increase ever again.
post #14 of 104
Title and button bars in Safari and Mail are still illegibly dark. i still have to deselect the window I'm in so I can read the tabs in Safari. Why is it that the SELECTED window frame goes dark and the DESELECTED window frames go light? Why can't it be the other way around? Is there a way of fixing this?
post #15 of 104
But where oh where is 10.5.3 server?
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #16 of 104
had issue with Classic iPod not updateing to latest sotware but that is now resolved.
post #17 of 104
is it just me or the overall colour is darkened since 10.5.3 update :s

nvm, i resolved it when i switched to "colour" in display preference and boom! the colour brightened
post #18 of 104
Quote:

Luvvin' FIOS! Whole update took under five minutes to d/l and apply!
post #19 of 104
Quote:

mine said 198MB...is that bad?

hmm...
post #20 of 104
What new drivers are in there for hardware that is not out yet from apple and how long be for psystar comes out with own update for 10.5.3?
post #21 of 104
Just a note, this update reset my preferences on Spotlight and a few appearance choices like colors. It was no problem switching them back, but it was a surprise when it rebooted.

I have some large external disks, and I think mdworker would have taken over my machine for weeks if I hadn't noticed my machine had slowed to a crawl.
post #22 of 104
Thank you Apple. I've been waiting a long time for this. I hope it fixes some of the problems I've been having.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #23 of 104
I wonder if it'll fix the hidden window bug in Adobe InDesign CS3?
post #24 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

Title and button bars in Safari and Mail are still illegibly dark. i still have to deselect the window I'm in so I can read the tabs in Safari. Why is it that the SELECTED window frame goes dark and the DESELECTED window frames go light? Why can't it be the other way around? Is there a way of fixing this?

Based on your "photoeditor" forum user name, can I assume you've calibrated your monitor and/or set it to the PC standard gamma of 2.2 vs Mac's normal 1.8 (I think I've got those numbers right)? I'll further guess that you may be using an LCD display?

Whenever I've used the Display system preference's built-in calibration tool the screen ends up darker and lower contrast. Likewise, one of the reason Windows always looks so drab (to me at least) is it's standard gamma setting which is darker than Mac's. Finally, LCDs, especially those on the lower-end models (MacBooks, 20" iMacs) can have reduced contrast if you aren't looking at them from the correct angle.

If you adjust the angle of your monitor and adjust the calibration settinsg in the Diplay preferences, you might be able to get a bit more contrast to make it easier to see the text on the tabs.
post #25 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Actually I notice no speed difference in anything except repairing disk permissions. 2.4ghz iMac.

People are still performing this repair permissions voodoo when they install updates?
post #26 of 104
Software update via the apple menu pulls down only your mac's version.

My MBP was only 198mb
post #27 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninden View Post

Software update via the apple menu pulls down only your mac's version.

My MBP was only 198mb

That was the size of the update for my iMac but for my MacBook 4.1 the size was 420MB! Why is there such a difference?
post #28 of 104
My MBP updated just fine, after 2 restarts. Software update downloaded the 198Mb.
post #29 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Improves the accuracy of the Software Update progress bar indicator.

Thank god they fixed that.
post #30 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

nvm, i resolved it when i switched to "colour" in display preference and boom! the colour brightened

I see what you mean. I went back in to the display preferences and only the iMac colour profile was listed, clicked it and the colour profile changed back to 'normal'. It seems that Apple RGB was the closest to what it looked like after a reboot.

Very strange!
post #31 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

People are still performing this repair permissions voodoo when they install updates?

It would be unlikely that an Apple update package installer would wrongly set file permissions but a poorly designed third party installer might. You can always check to see if any of your permissions are wrong by using the verify permissions feature of Disk Utility.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #32 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

It says "colour" in Norway?

Our says "color."
post #33 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

would you say that it feels snappier?

yayyyy! I was wondering who would be the first to say its snappier.

Thanks Apple for making it snappier!

Snappiness rules! Gimme snappy! Yummmmmmm. Snappy!
post #34 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

Steve said, "You're welcome."

You were thanking Steve; right?
post #35 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

I don't know who to believe on this issue. I was told by a so-called Genius to always perform permissions repairs after updates. It's a bit of arcana I'm not really sure anyone can answer.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 104
You're good.

The Combo updater is the Everything-And-The-Kitchen-Sink-For-All-Mac-Models massive package. It will update any Mac from 10.5, 10.5.1 or 10.5.2, to 10.5.3.

If you go through Software Update, it will go grab just the pieces needed for *your* model of Mac, to upgrade from whatever OS version *your* Mac is at.

Hence the different sizes reported.

Some people like to always use a Combo Update, since it can take care of possible errors in previous updates, but those are very rare. Let Software Update do its thing, and 99.99% of the time, it works just as it should.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #37 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

What, you think if they find that it's not right they should just leave it?
post #38 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab View Post

Wifi still not working

I hate to say it, but when you have individual problems that don't occur on other peep's machines... it might be time to do a wipe and install of the OS.
post #39 of 104
Anyone know if Front Row no longer freezes? that bug is killing my entertainment system...

EDIT: The bug is when you play music for about half an hour or so. You guys know what I'm talking about?
post #40 of 104
It appears the ability to send SMS via the address book has returned, or I did not notice it in 10.5.2.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update